Hello! I've started a new build which I'd like to share with you
I've been working on the case for a while and I've already posted the progress on other forums,I kinda forgot about here... So I'll catch up in the first couple of posts to where I'm at now and then update as the build continues
The victim is a Dell XPS 720. An all aluminum case (3mm) and in my opinion one of the best looking cases ever. I've spend quite some time looking for a good undamaged one, and about half a year ago one was offered on a Dutch marketplace and after some emails and a drive to The Hague I picked up the case. The previous owner removed most of the hardware so it was just the case, perfect for my modding needs!
Some of the remaining hardware, the cpu heatsink and some ducting
It's a big case, Project 180 fits inside it, the radiator is a EK-XT360
Without plastic front
First thing I did was strip the case. Went quite fast because the case doesn't have an internal chassis, it's just the front and back panel that hold the whole case together. So it was a matter of drilling out some rivets to take apart the entire case
Because Dell made the case as a BTX the orientation of the I/O panel is upside down and has to be replaced. On the left the original backside and the front on the right
I've replaced the front and back by 3mm aluminum panels and attached those to the original brackets on the top and bottom
Up next, het openingmechanism on the sidepanels!
On the original case the left panel is fixed to the top and bottom and can't be opened. This is a problem because I want to be able to reach the backside of the mobotray, so it needs to be changed.
On the right panel there is a big metal bracket with the opening mechanism on it, this makes the panel click into the top and midplate of the case. Because I'm not going keep the midplate that part of the opening mechanism isn't needed and can be removed from the right panel and I can use it for the left panel. (On the picture this part is already removed)
The metalbracket was glued to the panel with some sort of ubertape, almost impossible to remove, but using a heatgun and a putty knive I got it removed
I've cut the bracket into 2 pieces, the lower one already has an alu strip that will be used as the handle to open the panel
That's it for now! Comments are welcome