Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [GR] Valve Wins Court Case, Digital Resale Of Games Has Been Closed.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[GR] Valve Wins Court Case, Digital Resale Of Games Has Been Closed. - Page 34

post #331 of 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyadCK View Post

We'd make another emulator. Duh.

I don't think you understand the argument at all. The code itself does not degrade. Ever. End of story.

codes dont degrade but the platform they run on do. at the same time services associated with the games do as well

BF3 at launch is not the same as BF3 today. player base gets reduced, servers cut, your ability to redownload the game or connect to a multiplayer server may not exist in a few years time
post #332 of 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayleyne View Post

Yes the fork is worth less. It's those two words combined. Worthless. It's also not digital, and digital products hold no value gain over time like a physical ones do in pristine condition. Digital products do not degrade with time However they still fit the definition of aging as stated in an above post of mine(sans the hardware incompatibility arguement, but that's also not the actually product's fault). The fork gains value because of its physical condition, and the fact it is an antique. A pristine collection of the full CD set of Gabriel Knight? Damn straight that's worth some cash. Digital version? Not so much.

Wait the fork gains value???? Lol thats just crazy where did you come up with that?

But yes games age i agree with that but they dont degrade which you claimed therefor comparing a product that degrades with a non degradable product is wrong.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5-2500k @ 4.5GHz ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Sapphire Tri-X R9 290X Sapphire HD 6950 2GB DiRT 3 Edition / Unlocked ... 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3-1600 CL9 Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB Samsung 830 256GB LG BH10LS30 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Thermalright Venomous-X Black Edition 2x Noiseblocker S-Series M12-P Windows 7 Ultimate x64 HP 2510i 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair vengeance K90 EVGA SuperNOVA P2 Cooler Master HAF X Razer DeathAdder 3.5G 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5-2500k @ 4.5GHz ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Sapphire Tri-X R9 290X Sapphire HD 6950 2GB DiRT 3 Edition / Unlocked ... 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3-1600 CL9 Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB Samsung 830 256GB LG BH10LS30 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Thermalright Venomous-X Black Edition 2x Noiseblocker S-Series M12-P Windows 7 Ultimate x64 HP 2510i 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair vengeance K90 EVGA SuperNOVA P2 Cooler Master HAF X Razer DeathAdder 3.5G 
  hide details  
Reply
post #333 of 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuuut View Post

Wait the fork gains value???? Lol thats just crazy where did you come up with that?

But yes games age i agree with that but they dont degrade which you claimed therefor comparing a product that degrades with a non degradable product is wrong.

Because it becomes a collectors item and an antique
MEGATRON
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4710MQ P170-SM-A Nvidia GTX 980M @ 1470mhz 32GB DDR3L 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung SSD 840 EVO Msata 250GB SanDisk SDSSDX120GG25 HGST 1TB Blu-Ray 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
OverCharged Cage fans Windows 8.1 + Virtual Machines Modified 1080P glossy IPS 60hz Stock 
Power
240 Watt Brick 
  hide details  
Reply
MEGATRON
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4710MQ P170-SM-A Nvidia GTX 980M @ 1470mhz 32GB DDR3L 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung SSD 840 EVO Msata 250GB SanDisk SDSSDX120GG25 HGST 1TB Blu-Ray 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
OverCharged Cage fans Windows 8.1 + Virtual Machines Modified 1080P glossy IPS 60hz Stock 
Power
240 Watt Brick 
  hide details  
Reply
post #334 of 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by akromatic View Post

well it is correct, it doesnt matter if you spend 1000s of hours to make something or 1 hour, crap is crap, what is sellable is sellable. if it isnt sellable it doesnt matter how much money or time you spend because you wont be paid for crap. if you made something it doesnt automagically equate to sales.

owner ship and property should be treated as such and it doesnt matter if its physical or not. IPs are sold the same way. its the greedy publishers are trying to push a new "lease" model to consumers and you are spreading your butt cheeks to receive it. it doesnt have to be different to a physical sale.

infinate lifespan? are you kidding yourself? games and services have a finite life span. the last version of COD dies the moment the new one is released. services and playerbase gets cut along with it. gran turismo 5 has its services cut to make way for GT6. battlefield 2 and 1942 is long dead. infact these current digital model has a far less lifespan to a physical sale in the good ol days. once steam stops hosting the game it is dead. however back in the days you can still install the game that is on a CD any time you want and still enjoy it as though it is new. goods produced are not copied when resold (piracy is another argument). it is only the same condition because you are getting the copy from the host rather then the reseller.

your failure to see past yourself and your greed baffles me, if you enjoy buying first hand then its up to you, stop trying to preach and enforce your ideas on others. And yes i'm ok spending time to contribute to the community, credit is given where credit is due. its not a waste of time when i bank in into self satisfaction and appreciation.

try convince that to open source devs and linux community, donor ware and honor based system is there for a reason. guys who make great software like adblock gets money and survive while offering a freeware with an honor system where you pay what you think its worth. same goes with humble indie bundle which are DRM free and open to piracy

My greed? What on earth, we've been over this. YOU are the one who's greedy, wanting to resell your games to recoup some of the money you spent instead of doing what's good and healthy for the industry, support those who made the games...but, according to you and many others 'they've made their money/when is enough enough' etc etc

And no, physical and digital are different, that's why they're treated differently, period. It's been proven that it's necessary to treat them differently and that's why they are.

And stop acting like making a crap game won't sell and a good game will sell. If it's crap then you can't resell it, if it's good then you can resell it....your argument here fails on every level.

You have a fantastic outlook on things, lets screw over those who put in all the work so I can make a few pennies back on my purchase.
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5-3570K Asrock Z77 Extreme4 Evga gtx 460 1gb Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
Seagate Barracuda Antec Kuhler 620 Win 7 ultimate Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5-3570K Asrock Z77 Extreme4 Evga gtx 460 1gb Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
Seagate Barracuda Antec Kuhler 620 Win 7 ultimate Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #335 of 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by HanSomPa View Post

That's a logical fallacy. You're proposing a "what if" scenario. It's an Appeal to Consequence of Belief. That's not what the discussion is about. Try again.
In that case EVERY USED MARKET is inherently wrong according to you. That's it. We can dismiss all of your posts before and after this. Your thinking is simply wrong.

No, you're wrong in that you think physical and digital goods should be treated equally.

There's a reason they currently are NOT treated equally, there's a reason this court case existed in the first place. It's because there are people like me who understand and see the difference between the two.
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5-3570K Asrock Z77 Extreme4 Evga gtx 460 1gb Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
Seagate Barracuda Antec Kuhler 620 Win 7 ultimate Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5-3570K Asrock Z77 Extreme4 Evga gtx 460 1gb Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
Seagate Barracuda Antec Kuhler 620 Win 7 ultimate Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #336 of 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayleyne View Post

Because it becomes a collectors item and an antique

Lawl i'm done now when you make stuff like this up.

Much logic :/
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5-2500k @ 4.5GHz ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Sapphire Tri-X R9 290X Sapphire HD 6950 2GB DiRT 3 Edition / Unlocked ... 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3-1600 CL9 Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB Samsung 830 256GB LG BH10LS30 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Thermalright Venomous-X Black Edition 2x Noiseblocker S-Series M12-P Windows 7 Ultimate x64 HP 2510i 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair vengeance K90 EVGA SuperNOVA P2 Cooler Master HAF X Razer DeathAdder 3.5G 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5-2500k @ 4.5GHz ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Sapphire Tri-X R9 290X Sapphire HD 6950 2GB DiRT 3 Edition / Unlocked ... 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3-1600 CL9 Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB Samsung 830 256GB LG BH10LS30 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Thermalright Venomous-X Black Edition 2x Noiseblocker S-Series M12-P Windows 7 Ultimate x64 HP 2510i 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair vengeance K90 EVGA SuperNOVA P2 Cooler Master HAF X Razer DeathAdder 3.5G 
  hide details  
Reply
post #337 of 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudman091878 View Post

My greed? What on earth, we've been over this. YOU are the one who's greedy, wanting to resell your games to recoup some of the money you spent instead of doing what's good and healthy for the industry, support those who made the games...but, according to you and many others 'they've made their money/when is enough enough' etc etc

And no, physical and digital are different, that's why they're treated differently, period. It's been proven that it's necessary to treat them differently and that's why they are.

And stop acting like making a crap game won't sell and a good game will sell. If it's crap then you can't resell it, if it's good then you can resell it....your argument here fails on every level.

You have a fantastic outlook on things, lets screw over those who put in all the work so I can make a few pennies back on my purchase.

See my original referance argument before getting out.
MEGATRON
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4710MQ P170-SM-A Nvidia GTX 980M @ 1470mhz 32GB DDR3L 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung SSD 840 EVO Msata 250GB SanDisk SDSSDX120GG25 HGST 1TB Blu-Ray 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
OverCharged Cage fans Windows 8.1 + Virtual Machines Modified 1080P glossy IPS 60hz Stock 
Power
240 Watt Brick 
  hide details  
Reply
MEGATRON
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4710MQ P170-SM-A Nvidia GTX 980M @ 1470mhz 32GB DDR3L 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung SSD 840 EVO Msata 250GB SanDisk SDSSDX120GG25 HGST 1TB Blu-Ray 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
OverCharged Cage fans Windows 8.1 + Virtual Machines Modified 1080P glossy IPS 60hz Stock 
Power
240 Watt Brick 
  hide details  
Reply
post #338 of 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGordon View Post

Absolutely disgusting.

Really now?

How do you police the licensing of a digital product -- Oh, that's right, you can't.

It's logical, not disgusting.
post #339 of 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayleyne View Post

And what happens in 20 years down the track when we can't run dosbox

Is Gabriel knight ~still~ worth 50 bucks because that's the argument here, I think you'll understand the true answer here.

Who said anything about $50? The market decides the value, if there's no demand for gabriel knight at $50, people won't buy it, but sell it for 5.99 along with it's sequel, with a downloader attached to an online account and you'll see people flock to it. Why? Because this is 2014, it's not 1996 anymore. People want digital games for cheap, forever, for downloading whenever/wherever possible and will gladfully give up reselling abilities.

Try to think of the reason you even want to resale, so you can try as many games as you can for less money. Well, I get to try and OWN 350 different games for about $350. Meanwhile people reselling have complained about boxes and manuals taking up space, only to try and recoup money by selling their library to buy yet more games.
Boinzy
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k 4.2Ghz Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H  XFX R9 280x TDFD 3GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
TOSHIBA X300 HDWE160XZSTA 6TB 7200 RPM Samsung 850 Evo 250GB Asus DRW-24B1ST Cooler Master 212+ 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Acer GN246HL Nixeus Moda Pro Mechanical Keyboard Cherry MX B... Antec Earthwatts 650W 
CaseMouseAudio
Thermaltake Chaser A41 Logitech G400 Bose Companion 2 
  hide details  
Reply
Boinzy
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k 4.2Ghz Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H  XFX R9 280x TDFD 3GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
TOSHIBA X300 HDWE160XZSTA 6TB 7200 RPM Samsung 850 Evo 250GB Asus DRW-24B1ST Cooler Master 212+ 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Acer GN246HL Nixeus Moda Pro Mechanical Keyboard Cherry MX B... Antec Earthwatts 650W 
CaseMouseAudio
Thermaltake Chaser A41 Logitech G400 Bose Companion 2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #340 of 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayleyne View Post

See my original referance argument before getting out.

I read it, it's useless because it's been proven wrong time and time again.

You can't treat physical goods the same as digital goods. I'm not wasting my time explaining this incredibly simple topic anymore. Think about it for awhile, you'll either figure out why this is true, or you won't, either way I'm not wasting my time with explaining this to people. I'm just glad their are people in the industry that see the difference and realize that there is a very important, fundamental difference in how used goods and their purchase should be handled.
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5-3570K Asrock Z77 Extreme4 Evga gtx 460 1gb Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
Seagate Barracuda Antec Kuhler 620 Win 7 ultimate Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5-3570K Asrock Z77 Extreme4 Evga gtx 460 1gb Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
Seagate Barracuda Antec Kuhler 620 Win 7 ultimate Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [GR] Valve Wins Court Case, Digital Resale Of Games Has Been Closed.