Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Small Form Factor Systems › Silverstone Raven RVZ01 / RVZ02 / ML07 / ML08 / FTZ01 Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Silverstone Raven RVZ01 / RVZ02 / ML07 / ML08 / FTZ01 Owners Club - Page 29

post #281 of 7096
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZombie View Post

I have 2 dual 25mm fans (Corsair AF120's) under the 770 ACX and they keep the card very cool. During heavy gaming, I haven't gone above 58 degrees.

The whole cooler thing has let me down a little bit with this case. I want to use an AIO, but it makes me fear that an accident is waiting to happen. I took my H60 out yesterday as I was toying around with the 250D which I wanted to check out and the tubes on the H60 had a decent amount of crease through them for having been bent like that over a week. It even seems like there is some challenges with good air coolers in here too. Other than that, still love this case.

On some level, I agree about the "AIO" cooler thought, but I'm not going to blame the case, the case is brilliant for what it's meant for. To have made it compatible with "every" 120mm rad AIO, the case would need to be 2-3" thicker to accommodate, it would have been as big as the Grandia GD05 then....... I feel with this case, and the available AIO's currently, for safety and long term usage, there are two options overall, use an aircooler, or go with real liquid cooling (ie: a custom liquid loop). If you are gonna try an AIO, get one the has the skinny, ribbed "plastic" tubing instead of the "kinky" rubber hose.
post #282 of 7096
What about putting led strips near the vents??
post #283 of 7096
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinLongbow View Post

What about putting led strips near the vents??

That would work a lot better than the fans would, I would personally use LED strips between the case chassis and the plastic vent caps to enhance the lighting effect.
post #284 of 7096
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimhans1 View Post

On some level, I agree about the "AIO" cooler thought, but I'm not going to blame the case, the case is brilliant for what it's meant for. To have made it compatible with "every" 120mm rad AIO, the case would need to be 2-3" thicker to accommodate, it would have been as big as the Grandia GD05 then....... I feel with this case, and the available AIO's currently, for safety and long term usage, there are two options overall, use an aircooler, or go with real liquid cooling (ie: a custom liquid loop). If you are gonna try an AIO, get one the has the skinny, ribbed "plastic" tubing instead of the "kinky" rubber hose.

I think you make some valid points here and in agreement with you. Weren't the ribbed "plastic" tubing more prone to leaking, hence why Corsair ended up going with the thicker rubber tubing? I am trying to recall what the issue was with the change from the ribbed plastic to the rubber hosing.

Yeah and custom liquid cooling is probably the way to go in this case if you want water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinLongbow View Post

What about putting led strips near the vents??

You probably can do that, not sure how much of those lights will come pouring through. It would be worth a try since the vents are decent sized.
post #285 of 7096
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZombie View Post

I think you make some valid points here and in agreement with you. Weren't the ribbed "plastic" tubing more prone to leaking, hence why Corsair ended up going with the thicker rubber tubing? I am trying to recall what the issue was with the change from the ribbed plastic to the rubber hosing.

Yeah and custom liquid cooling is probably the way to go in this case if you want water.
You probably can do that, not sure how much of those lights will come pouring through. It would be worth a try since the vents are decent sized.

I don't remember hearing about leaks from the tubing, I remember hearing a ton about leaks from the swivel areas on the pump/blocks...... Some folks I saw complain about the ribbed tubes because they were stiffer to orient in certain cases.
post #286 of 7096
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimhans1 View Post

I don't remember hearing about leaks from the tubing, I remember hearing a ton about leaks from the swivel areas on the pump/blocks...... Some folks I saw complain about the ribbed tubes because they were stiffer to orient in certain cases.

So would you recommend staying away from those coolers with the ribbed tubes then? Did they ever fix this with these coolers or was it fixed with the newer coolers using the rubber hoses?
post #287 of 7096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimhans1 View Post

I think the stock fans are decently quiet, at least for me. And they do a good job of keeping my GTX770 SC ACX cool. If your card has the reference blower style cooler, you don't need to put the second fan in the GPU area, it is recommended for the "open" style coolers like the ACX.

Overclocking your GPU will VERY quickly run your PSU out of power. My 770 and CPU were able to get the 450w Gold to pull almost 550w at the outlet. I would say keep the GPU at its stock clocks, and OC the CPU. the cpu oc wont put as much strain on your PSU versus the GPU oc. I am personally waiting for the 600w SFX to be released (I am guessing late Q2/early Q3 for it to show up) and replace my 450 with it, I want BOTH CPU & GPU to be OC'ed, and the 450 WILL have a hard time with both. As to the cooler, if you are not going to OC the CPU, then the stock cooler will function. but I personally don't think I have run a stock CPU cooler since the Pentium 3 days. I would say to get an NT06-Pro if you need to get an aircooler. But, I am biased, I am a Silverstone dealer smile.gif

Yes! It is recommended to "open" coolers, but maybe it helps to keep the blower cooler card at lower temps as well, that's what I want to know in order to see if it's worth it.
I will follow your recommendation and not overclock the GPU until the 600W arrives; I want to OC both CPU and GPU as well, but primarily the GPU.
As for the CPU cooler, I will see if I find one in a good price, although for overclocking maybe water cooling would be the best option here..
post #288 of 7096
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZombie View Post

So would you recommend staying away from those coolers with the ribbed tubes then? Did they ever fix this with these coolers or was it fixed with the newer coolers using the rubber hoses?

I PREFER the ribbed polymer tubing, it was people complaining with preconceived notions that made them change the tubing, not factual complaints if memory serves. The ribbed tubing isn't air/water permeable, so the liquid doesn't evaporate from them, the rubber tubing will allow the fluid to evaporate over time (granted, it would take a pretty long time) and they are easier to kink the rubber because it's as soft as it is.
post #289 of 7096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariolillo View Post

Yes! It is recommended to "open" coolers, but maybe it helps to keep the blower cooler card at lower temps as well, that's what I want to know in order to see if it's worth it.
I will follow your recommendation and not overclock the GPU until the 600W arrives; I want to OC both CPU and GPU as well, but primarily the GPU.
As for the CPU cooler, I will see if I find one in a good price, although for overclocking maybe water cooling would be the best option here..

I don't think the extra fan will be much if any help on the GPU temp with a blower style cooler as there isn't as big an opening for the air to enter the GPU, but, I feel it could still benefit the temps in the rest of the system having it there, I just don't believe it's necessary for the GPU in that situation. I personally usually try fill every fan opening in a build if possible, to provide positive air pressure and/or direct the airflow as needed.
post #290 of 7096
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimhans1 View Post

I PREFER the ribbed polymer tubing, it was people complaining with preconceived notions that made them change the tubing, not factual complaints if memory serves. The ribbed tubing isn't air/water permeable, so the liquid doesn't evaporate from them, the rubber tubing will allow the fluid to evaporate over time (granted, it would take a pretty long time) and they are easier to kink the rubber because it's as soft as it is.

I'll have to take a look at a ribbed tubbing cooler than to see how well it fits in this case then. Any particular brand that would be recommended that would be easier to use here over another brand with our mobo?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Small Form Factor Systems
Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Small Form Factor Systems › Silverstone Raven RVZ01 / RVZ02 / ML07 / ML08 / FTZ01 Owners Club