Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Small Form Factor Systems › Silverstone Raven RVZ01 / RVZ02 / ML07 / ML08 / FTZ01 Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Silverstone Raven RVZ01 / RVZ02 / ML07 / ML08 / FTZ01 Owners Club - Page 36

post #351 of 7096
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikkonMG View Post

My replacement CPU Cooler for my Raven build just got in, Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev B and some Prolima PK-1 Thermal Compound. I'll report back here later once I try it and let everyone know if it works with my board or not.

I just cancelled and requested for refund on my order of Zalman CNPS8900 Quiet. NewEgg "Premier" did not ship the order until today (allegedly). I placed the order last Sunday. I decided just to keep the stock cooler for now.

I am using i5 4570s (2.9Ghz to 3.4GHZ, 65W), MSI B85i and Corsair XMS3 8GB 10666 cas9. All stock speed. However, I see the i5 idling at boosting frequencies to 3.3mhz. (I can't make it to idle at 2.9ghz unless i forced it through MSI control panel, any ideas?). For the time being, I'm using Radeon HD 6850 until the new Maxwell cards come out. I am running RVZ01 provided case fans, one on top, one bottom front, at about 55% speed (using a pci fan controller I had).

Using AIDA64 stability test, after 45 min, my temps are:

CPU: 60 C
Motherboard: 43 C
HDD: 37 C

At idle:
CPU: 33 C
Motherboard: 35 C
HDD: 33 C

Room temp AVG 72 F

I'm still not happy with my idling CPU temps considering I do get mid 20s temp in my other tower machine using a i5 2400 (3.1GHZ/3.4GHZ turbo, 85W), albeit, using a 212 Plus cooler. I was expecting lower motherboard temps as well. HDD/SDD seems to be about the same.

I'll experiment using a thicker fan on top and see how it changes.

does CPU temps affect MB temps?
post #352 of 7096
Quote:
Originally Posted by coremailrx8 View Post

I just cancelled and requested for refund on my order of Zalman CNPS8900 Quiet. NewEgg "Premier" did not ship the order until today (allegedly). I placed the order last Sunday. I decided just to keep the stock cooler for now.

I am using i5 4570s (2.9Ghz to 3.4GHZ, 65W), MSI B85i and Corsair XMS3 8GB 10666 cas9. All stock speed. However, I see the i5 idling at boosting frequencies to 3.3mhz. (I can't make it to idle at 2.9ghz unless i forced it through MSI control panel, any ideas?). For the time being, I'm using Radeon HD 6850 until the new Maxwell cards come out. I am running RVZ01 provided case fans, one on top, one bottom front, at about 55% speed (using a pci fan controller I had).

Using AIDA64 stability test, after 45 min, my temps are:

CPU: 60 C
Motherboard: 43 C
HDD: 37 C

At idle:
CPU: 33 C
Motherboard: 35 C
HDD: 33 C

Room temp AVG 72 F

I'm still not happy with my idling CPU temps considering I do get mid 20s temp in my other tower machine using a i5 2400 (3.1GHZ/3.4GHZ turbo, 85W), albeit, using a 212 Plus cooler. I was expecting lower motherboard temps as well. HDD/SDD seems to be about the same.

I'll experiment using a thicker fan on top and see how it changes.

does CPU temps affect MB temps?

Hi everybody.

Zalman CNPS8900 quiet DOESN'T fit. It blocks the pci-express in (at least in an asrock z77e-itx).

thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif
post #353 of 7096
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikkonMG View Post

My replacement CPU Cooler for my Raven build just got in, Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev B and some Prolima PK-1 Thermal Compound. I'll report back here later once I try it and let everyone know if it works with my board or not.

Can't wait to hear if this works for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coremailrx8 View Post

I just cancelled and requested for refund on my order of Zalman CNPS8900 Quiet. NewEgg "Premier" did not ship the order until today (allegedly). I placed the order last Sunday. I decided just to keep the stock cooler for now.

I am using i5 4570s (2.9Ghz to 3.4GHZ, 65W), MSI B85i and Corsair XMS3 8GB 10666 cas9. All stock speed. However, I see the i5 idling at boosting frequencies to 3.3mhz. (I can't make it to idle at 2.9ghz unless i forced it through MSI control panel, any ideas?). For the time being, I'm using Radeon HD 6850 until the new Maxwell cards come out. I am running RVZ01 provided case fans, one on top, one bottom front, at about 55% speed (using a pci fan controller I had).

Using AIDA64 stability test, after 45 min, my temps are:

CPU: 60 C
Motherboard: 43 C
HDD: 37 C

At idle:
CPU: 33 C
Motherboard: 35 C
HDD: 33 C

Room temp AVG 72 F

I'm still not happy with my idling CPU temps considering I do get mid 20s temp in my other tower machine using a i5 2400 (3.1GHZ/3.4GHZ turbo, 85W), albeit, using a 212 Plus cooler. I was expecting lower motherboard temps as well. HDD/SDD seems to be about the same.

I'll experiment using a thicker fan on top and see how it changes.

does CPU temps affect MB temps?

Are you using 2 fans under the GPU as intakes? I was using 2 AF140's as intakes pulling a lot of air in, kept my GPU to around 58 degrees under load.

Above the CPU, you also want to make that fan as intake.

You need to remember too, if you are using the stock cooler from the i5, that thing is a piece of junk imo. Not only will you get louder fan noise, but your CPU will also have higher temps.
post #354 of 7096
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentejita View Post

Hi everybody.

Zalman CNPS8900 quiet DOESN'T fit. It blocks the pci-express in (at least in an asrock z77e-itx).

thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

That's unfortunate. As far as air cooling goes, it really does a great job in this case and the "quiet" is very true. The CPNS8900 seems much quieter than the included Silverstone case fans as well (at least subjectively.)
post #355 of 7096
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFewTeammates View Post

That's unfortunate. As far as air cooling goes, it really does a great job in this case and the "quiet" is very true. The CPNS8900 seems much quieter than the included Silverstone case fans as well (at least subjectively.)

I'm very disapointed with this. I don't know what to buy now. Maybe a corsair h55 or a silverstone nt06-pro... wackosmiley.gif
Edited by lentejita - 3/7/14 at 11:37am
post #356 of 7096
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentejita View Post

Hi everybody.

Zalman CNPS8900 quiet DOESN'T fit. It blocks the pci-express in (at least in an asrock z77e-itx).

thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

My B85i has about 3/4" more clearance to the pci slot when compared to the Z77e-itx (estimate by viewing top angle pictures). I attempted to measure the distance between the socket the the riser card. I measured the distance from the midpoint from intel stock cooler (sticker line) to the riser card, it was about 61mm to 62mm, so I was hoping the zalman fits.

It looks like even with low profile memory, the pipes touch the ram heatsink, forcing it to be rotated 90 degrees. I read that is not optimal, the pipes are very space out, not making too much contact with the core of the cpu. I'd assume it is still better than intel stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZombie View Post

Can't wait to hear if this works for you.
Are you using 2 fans under the GPU as intakes? I was using 2 AF140's as intakes pulling a lot of air in, kept my GPU to around 58 degrees under load.

Above the CPU, you also want to make that fan as intake.

You need to remember too, if you are using the stock cooler from the i5, that thing is a piece of junk imo. Not only will you get louder fan noise, but your CPU will also have higher temps.

Yes, all intakes. For now, I have one at the top of the cpu, and the other bottom front. I was lazy and waiting on the zalman cooler so I didn't really moved it to the front back where the GPU fan is located. But then again, I didn't measure the GPU temp. I'll do more fan placement experimentation now that I decided to wait on the cooler until further notice. It is just a pain, to tidy up everything in the case just to have to remove everything again for the cooler when and if I get it.
post #357 of 7096
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by coremailrx8 View Post

My B85i has about 3/4" more clearance to the pci slot when compared to the Z77e-itx (estimate by viewing top angle pictures). I attempted to measure the distance between the socket the the riser card. I measured the distance from the midpoint from intel stock cooler (sticker line) to the riser card, it was about 61mm to 62mm, so I was hoping the zalman fits.

It looks like even with low profile memory, the pipes touch the ram heatsink, forcing it to be rotated 90 degrees. I read that is not optimal, the pipes are very space out, not making too much contact with the core of the cpu. I'd assume it is still better than intel stock.
Yes, all intakes. For now, I have one at the top of the cpu, and the other bottom front. I was lazy and waiting on the zalman cooler so I didn't really moved it to the front back where the GPU fan is located. But then again, I didn't measure the GPU temp. I'll do more fan placement experimentation now that I decided to wait on the cooler until further notice. It is just a pain, to tidy up everything in the case just to have to remove everything again for the cooler when and if I get it.

Why don't you order the Silverstone NT06-Pro? You can see it on the Z77E a few pages back, it fits, so it probably fits on the B85i if there is a bit more room between the socket and PCIe. It boggles my mind that Silverstone would release this kind of case with no real good cooling solution in place to accommodate the various mobos. If this is being marketed as a gaming case people are going to need to properly cool their CPU's.
post #358 of 7096
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZombie View Post

Why don't you order the Silverstone NT06-Pro? You can see it on the Z77E a few pages back, it fits, so it probably fits on the B85i if there is a bit more room between the socket and PCIe.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I only built a new computer because I found the ZRV01 so appealing, and I've being waiting for something like this for a long time, specially since I saw the ASRock M8. But I don't have a need for it, basically now I have a tower and the RVZ01 as two computers pretty much serving the same purpose. I'm saying all this because I have a price target for each component. For the cooler, I don't want to spend more than $40. It sounds petty, but if i don't stick to this principle, a $800 +/- unnecessary PC will easily turn to +$1,300....just for $10 more I can get.... smile.gif
Quote:
It boggles my mind that Silverstone would release this kind of case with no real good cooling solution in place to accommodate the various mobos. If this is being marketed as a gaming case people are going to need to properly cool their CPU's.

I don't think it is Silverstone's fault. The problem with most of the cooling solutions I've been looking into, has to do with heatsinks and ram/PCI clearance. I think MB manufacturer's should centralize the socket position to give better clearance. It doesn't seem that this is a new problem, which is becoming more of an issue now with the demand for small gaming pc's.
Edited by coremailrx8 - 3/7/14 at 1:45pm
post #359 of 7096
Quote:
Originally Posted by coremailrx8 View Post

It looks like even with low profile memory, the pipes touch the ram heatsink, forcing it to be rotated 90 degrees. I read that is not optimal, the pipes are very space out, not making too much contact with the core of the cpu. I'd assume it is still better than intel stock.

Is it just touching the ram heatsink? Or is it putting some actual pressure on it? Or do you mean it won't make flat contact with the CPU because it hits the ram? Mine is touching the VRM caps but I don't think there is anything to worry about as long as there is minimal or no pressure on the components it is touching. And I noticed the thing about the orientation, but it seems to me it only matters if you are putting the case in the vertical position, because it has to do with the direction the heat pipes are running. (at least according to the manual for the CPNS8900)
Edited by AFewTeammates - 3/7/14 at 2:14pm
post #360 of 7096
K so i'm now clueless on what to do for a CPU Cooler for my board, the CPU placement is in a way that the Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev B will not work do to it hangs about 1.5mm's over the PCI-E slot. RAM clearance for standard RAM tho would be good for people who's CPU placement is in the middle of the board.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Small Form Factor Systems
Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Small Form Factor Systems › Silverstone Raven RVZ01 / RVZ02 / ML07 / ML08 / FTZ01 Owners Club