Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Small Form Factor Systems › Silverstone Raven RVZ01 / RVZ02 / ML07 / ML08 / FTZ01 Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Silverstone Raven RVZ01 / RVZ02 / ML07 / ML08 / FTZ01 Owners Club - Page 72

post #711 of 7096
Since i have a arctic xtreme 3 cooler on my gpu the gpu fans serve as intake with a extra 120mm fan on the side but where the cpu fan mount is that is an pull so hot air will come out from that fan
The reason i did that it keeps the gpu much cooler instead of 80c to 64c but my cpu gets hotter 71c instead of 55c what is a good trade off still i need to figure out how to keep both cool maybe a watercooler for the cpu instead of the noctua nh l12 this is an issue i need to fix
Btw gpu us now r9 290 instead of the gtx 760
Edited by RDilux - 3/30/14 at 1:37am
The Steam Raven
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 4670K MSI Z87I MSI Geforce GTX 760 Gaming OC G.Skill Sniper 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Seagate Barracuda 7200 Noctua NH-L12 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Silverstone SST-ST45SF-G (450W) 
Case
Silverstone Raven RVZ01 
  hide details  
Reply
The Steam Raven
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 4670K MSI Z87I MSI Geforce GTX 760 Gaming OC G.Skill Sniper 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Seagate Barracuda 7200 Noctua NH-L12 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Silverstone SST-ST45SF-G (450W) 
Case
Silverstone Raven RVZ01 
  hide details  
Reply
post #712 of 7096
Just wanted to drop in and say hello. After pouring through the whole thread, I built the following machine:

Case: SilverStone RVZ01B
PSU: Silverstone ST45SF-G
MB: ASRock Z87E-ITX
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS 8900 Quiet Edition
RAM: Patriot Viper 3 16GB DDR3 1600 (only used one module due to CPU heatsink clearance issues).
SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW
HD: Seagate ST2000DX001 2TB
GPU: MSI Gaming N760 TF 2GD5/OC

Here are a couple of notes:

1. My CPU overheats with the stock cooler with temps reaching over 81C, when burning it in with Furmark CPU burning tool. After installing the Zalman 8900, my temps at load never reached over 70C. It averages about 55-60C when gaming. I imagine, if I installed another slim fan (<23mm or less) in the side case above the Zalman 8900, it would be slightly cooler. The Zalman 8900 was a steal at $34 and it's cooling capabilities made it a better buy than the M4 ($75+) and the NT06 PRO ($58).

2. Full height DIMM modules present issues with aftermarket heatsinks/coolers with my motherboard's configuration. I couldn't fit the Silverstone NT06 Pro, the Cooler Master GeminII M4 and the Zalman CNPS 8900 Quiet Edition. Since the DIMM modules were from a previous build, I couldn't return them and get regular height DIMM modules. I finally bit the bullet and removed one of my DIMM modules to get the Zalman 8900 to fit. I now only have 8GB of RAM instead of 16GB.

3. I configured both stock Silverstone fans as intake fans to the GPU (Had Corsair SP120 but they were too loud at full speed). However, the fan splitter cable didn't work too well, and only one fan worked (my ASRock Z87E--ITX only has one chassis fan port). I imagine, this is due to the fan splitter being a PWM fan (4 pin) splitter while the stock fans are only 3 pins. I had to pick up a 3 pin fan splitter at my local Micro Center to get both fans working. I also installed Corsair SP120 High Performance fans in the same positions, but neither the stock Silverstone fans nor the Corsair SP120 (both at full speed), could cool my GPU enough. I'm still getting over 81C on my GPU at max settings with a 1920 x 1200 res/monitor. I'm still troubleshooting this.

4. The case didn't come with any screws to mount the GPU support bracket.

5. I wish the removable side panel had a support brace in order to support an LCD monitor when the case in the horizontal position. The Alienware X51s had no problems supporting a monitor but with this case, I'm afraid to put a monitor on top while it's in the horizontal position. Luckily, I use my in the vertical position. Anyone use theirs in the horizontal position and have their monitor sitting on top of the case?

6. I wish the case had a removal section on the GPU and PSU side panel under the motherboard area. This would've come handy for installing CPU heatsink brackets without having to remove the motherboard everytime I had to test and install third party heatsinks and coolers.

7. The screws to mount the Zalman to the rear support bracket were a pain to secure, since the heatsink gets in the way. You either have to angle your bit or get a low profile 90 degree screw driver to screw it in.
post #713 of 7096
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXMaGNuSXx View Post

Just wanted to drop in and say hello. After pouring through the whole thread, I built the following machine:

Case: SilverStone RVZ01B
PSU: Silverstone ST45SF-G
MB: ASRock Z87E-ITX
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS 8900 Quiet Edition
RAM: Patriot Viper 3 16GB DDR3 1600 (only used one module due to CPU heatsink clearance issues).
SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW
HD: Seagate ST2000DX001 2TB
GPU: MSI Gaming N760 TF 2GD5/OC

Here are a couple of notes:

1. My CPU overheats with the stock cooler with temps reaching over 81C, when burning it in with Furmark CPU burning tool. After installing the Zalman 8900, my temps at load never reached over 70C. It averages about 55-60C when gaming. I imagine, if I installed another slim fan (<23mm or less) in the side case above the Zalman 8900, it would be slightly cooler. The Zalman 8900 was a steal at $34 and it's cooling capabilities made it a better buy than the M4 ($75+) and the NT06 PRO ($58).

2. Full height DIMM modules present issues with aftermarket heatsinks/coolers with my motherboard's configuration. I couldn't fit the Silverstone NT06 Pro, the Cooler Master GeminII M4 and the Zalman CNPS 8900 Quiet Edition. Since the DIMM modules were from a previous build, I couldn't return them and get regular height DIMM modules. I finally bit the bullet and removed one of my DIMM modules to get the Zalman 8900 to fit. I now only have 8GB of RAM instead of 16GB.

3. I configured both stock Silverstone fans as intake fans to the GPU (Had Corsair SP120 but they were too loud at full speed). However, the fan splitter cable didn't work too well, and only one fan worked (my ASRock Z87E--ITX only has one chassis fan port). I imagine, this is due to the fan splitter being a PWM fan (4 pin) splitter while the stock fans are only 3 pins. I had to pick up a 3 pin fan splitter at my local Micro Center to get both fans working. I also installed Corsair SP120 High Performance fans in the same positions, but neither the stock Silverstone fans nor the Corsair SP120 (both at full speed), could cool my GPU enough. I'm still getting over 81C on my GPU at max settings with a 1920 x 1200 res/monitor. I'm still troubleshooting this.

4. The case didn't come with any screws to mount the GPU support bracket.

5. I wish the removable side panel had a support brace in order to support an LCD monitor when the case in the horizontal position. The Alienware X51s had no problems supporting a monitor but with this case, I'm afraid to put a monitor on top while it's in the horizontal position. Luckily, I use my in the vertical position. Anyone use theirs in the horizontal position and have their monitor sitting on top of the case?

6. I wish the case had a removal section on the GPU and PSU side panel under the motherboard area. This would've come handy for installing CPU heatsink brackets without having to remove the motherboard everytime I had to test and install third party heatsinks and coolers.

7. The screws to mount the Zalman to the rear support bracket were a pain to secure, since the heatsink gets in the way. You either have to angle your bit or get a low profile 90 degree screw driver to screw it in.

Welcome and thanks for posting your build and tips. Any pics to share?

How's the system running with one stick of RAM?

That is a great idea about having a removable section under the mobo for the bracket. It was a royal pain having to take everything apart just to get to the back of the motherboard.

There are several issues with this case for sure and I hope that Silverstone takes these ideas back to the drawing board for the next revision because I can see someone like Corsair taking this case design and making it fit air and water coolers even if it is a bit bigger say at 20L. The Bolt II is the same size as this case and it is designed to be more flexible.

If this case doesn't work out again for me depending on how the cooling goes this time with an air cooler, I may consider looking at the Node 304 or Silverstone SG08-Lite. The 250D was nice, but I felt like it was too big of a case for ITX. I'm praying that the temps with the AXP-100 are good and it doesn't heat up the case since I have exp using the water cooling in this before.
Edited by CaptainZombie - 3/30/14 at 10:14am
post #714 of 7096
Does anyone have an update on the feasibility of cramming in an H75?

It looks like it might be doable, but I've yet to get my hands on one of these cases...
post #715 of 7096
It's doable but only without a GPU and using onboard video, the GPU will be blocking the tubing. I've tested it with a 240mm rad I had laying around
post #716 of 7096
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucromancer View Post

Does anyone have an update on the feasibility of cramming in an H75?

It looks like it might be doable, but I've yet to get my hands on one of these cases...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese Cake View Post

It's doable but only without a GPU and using onboard video, the GPU will be blocking the tubing. I've tested it with a 240mm rad I had laying around

I had the H60 crammed in here with a full size GTX770 GPU, you just have to twist the tubing around on top of the motherboard and use the slim fan that came with the case.

I think the H75 is the H60 with 2 fans and the round style pump
post #717 of 7096
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXMaGNuSXx View Post

Just wanted to drop in and say hello. After pouring through the whole thread, I built the following machine:

Case: SilverStone RVZ01B
PSU: Silverstone ST45SF-G
MB: ASRock Z87E-ITX
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS 8900 Quiet Edition
RAM: Patriot Viper 3 16GB DDR3 1600 (only used one module due to CPU heatsink clearance issues).
SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW
HD: Seagate ST2000DX001 2TB
GPU: MSI Gaming N760 TF 2GD5/OC

Here are a couple of notes:

1. My CPU overheats with the stock cooler with temps reaching over 81C, when burning it in with Furmark CPU burning tool. After installing the Zalman 8900, my temps at load never reached over 70C. It averages about 55-60C when gaming. I imagine, if I installed another slim fan (<23mm or less) in the side case above the Zalman 8900, it would be slightly cooler. The Zalman 8900 was a steal at $34 and it's cooling capabilities made it a better buy than the M4 ($75+) and the NT06 PRO ($58).

2. Full height DIMM modules present issues with aftermarket heatsinks/coolers with my motherboard's configuration. I couldn't fit the Silverstone NT06 Pro, the Cooler Master GeminII M4 and the Zalman CNPS 8900 Quiet Edition. Since the DIMM modules were from a previous build, I couldn't return them and get regular height DIMM modules. I finally bit the bullet and removed one of my DIMM modules to get the Zalman 8900 to fit. I now only have 8GB of RAM instead of 16GB.

3. I configured both stock Silverstone fans as intake fans to the GPU (Had Corsair SP120 but they were too loud at full speed). However, the fan splitter cable didn't work too well, and only one fan worked (my ASRock Z87E--ITX only has one chassis fan port). I imagine, this is due to the fan splitter being a PWM fan (4 pin) splitter while the stock fans are only 3 pins. I had to pick up a 3 pin fan splitter at my local Micro Center to get both fans working. I also installed Corsair SP120 High Performance fans in the same positions, but neither the stock Silverstone fans nor the Corsair SP120 (both at full speed), could cool my GPU enough. I'm still getting over 81C on my GPU at max settings with a 1920 x 1200 res/monitor. I'm still troubleshooting this.

4. The case didn't come with any screws to mount the GPU support bracket.

5. I wish the removable side panel had a support brace in order to support an LCD monitor when the case in the horizontal position. The Alienware X51s had no problems supporting a monitor but with this case, I'm afraid to put a monitor on top while it's in the horizontal position. Luckily, I use my in the vertical position. Anyone use theirs in the horizontal position and have their monitor sitting on top of the case?

6. I wish the case had a removal section on the GPU and PSU side panel under the motherboard area. This would've come handy for installing CPU heatsink brackets without having to remove the motherboard everytime I had to test and install third party heatsinks and coolers.

7. The screws to mount the Zalman to the rear support bracket were a pain to secure, since the heatsink gets in the way. You either have to angle your bit or get a low profile 90 degree screw driver to screw it in.

How are the noise levels with the Zalaman? The price is very decent on this cooler which might make it a good choice. It would also be interesting to see if you did install another slim fan on the side to see if your CPU temps would be lower, but at 55-60 degrees that seems acceptable, especially if the noise level is decent...who knows, you might be able to shave 2-3 degrees with the addition on the side fan to really up the positive pressure...

I like the idea of the AXP-100 pair with a Noctura fan

I think it would just be a safe bet if people would stick with normal/slim profile ram on this box (since it is a SLIM case) and go easy on the OC if at all, but to each their own. My intention for this box was to be a console replacement/media hub in the living room.
post #718 of 7096
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZombie View Post

Welcome and thanks for posting your build and tips. Any pics to share?

How's the system running with one stick of RAM?

That is a great idea about having a removable section under the mobo for the bracket. It was a royal pain having to take everything apart just to get to the back of the motherboard.

There are several issues with this case for sure and I hope that Silverstone takes these ideas back to the drawing board for the next revision because I can see someone like Corsair taking this case design and making it fit air and water coolers even if it is a bit bigger say at 20L. The Bolt II is the same size as this case and it is designed to be more flexible.

If this case doesn't work out again for me depending on how the cooling goes this time with an air cooler, I may consider looking at the Node 304 or Silverstone SG08-Lite. The 250D was nice, but I felt like it was too big of a case for ITX. I'm praying that the temps with the AXP-100 are good and it doesn't heat up the case since I have exp using the water cooling in this before.

SG05 wink.gif
#phase02
(24 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 5820k Asus X99M-WS Sapphire r9 290X Vapor-X 8GB Sapphire r9 290X Vapor-X 8GB 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair 16GB LPX DDR4 Crucial M4 256GB SSD Toshiba 4TB HDD Swiftech Apogee Drive II 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Bitspower Single 5.25" bay Reservoir Alphacool XT45 180mm Radiator Alphacool UT60 120mm Radiator EK-FC VAPOR-X GPU Water-Block 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK-FC VAPOR-X GPU Water-Block Silverstone AP182 Air Penetrator 180mm Fan Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP29 Windows 10 PRO 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS PB2874Q 4K  Cooler Master Quickfire XTi Seasonic SS-1200XPS3 1200 Watt Platinum Silverstone TJ08-E 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Cooler Master Reaper Steel Series QCK+ Large Denon AVR Surround Receiever Beyerdynamic DT990 250 ohms Headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
#phase02
(24 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 5820k Asus X99M-WS Sapphire r9 290X Vapor-X 8GB Sapphire r9 290X Vapor-X 8GB 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair 16GB LPX DDR4 Crucial M4 256GB SSD Toshiba 4TB HDD Swiftech Apogee Drive II 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Bitspower Single 5.25" bay Reservoir Alphacool XT45 180mm Radiator Alphacool UT60 120mm Radiator EK-FC VAPOR-X GPU Water-Block 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK-FC VAPOR-X GPU Water-Block Silverstone AP182 Air Penetrator 180mm Fan Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP29 Windows 10 PRO 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS PB2874Q 4K  Cooler Master Quickfire XTi Seasonic SS-1200XPS3 1200 Watt Platinum Silverstone TJ08-E 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Cooler Master Reaper Steel Series QCK+ Large Denon AVR Surround Receiever Beyerdynamic DT990 250 ohms Headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
post #719 of 7096
Damn, I might end up getting a H100i or something along the 240mm rad AIO's to replace the LP air cooler I got for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZombie View Post


I had the H60 crammed in here with a full size GTX770 GPU, you just have to twist the tubing around on top of the motherboard and use the slim fan that came with the case.

I think the H75 is the H60 with 2 fans and the round style pump
post #720 of 7096
Thread Starter 
Here's a youtube vid on a build that was posted 2 weeks ago.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Small Form Factor Systems
Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Small Form Factor Systems › Silverstone Raven RVZ01 / RVZ02 / ML07 / ML08 / FTZ01 Owners Club