Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Is anyone planning to preorder the Intel Core i7 "5960X" (Haswell E)?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is anyone planning to preorder the Intel Core i7 "5960X" (Haswell E)? - Page 4

post #31 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxontas View Post


Acually, "the human eye and its brain interface, the human visual system, can process 10 to 12 separate images per second, perceiving them individually". So there IS a limit. Since the brain can only process 10-12 separate images per second, it follows that it cannot discern the difference between 60, 120, or 1800 FPS.

As to the rest:

33FPS in WoW is not awful. Actually, your knowledge is awful, as 33 FPS in WoW with my 4770k means absolutely no stuttering, lag or freezes.

And not only that but, my QX9650@4GHz (an Intel Core 2 Extreme CPU made in November 2007) was more than capable or offering similar performance to my 4770k at stock in WoW.

WoW is an extremely old game as well as incredibly non-demanding graphics-wise, and the engine it uses was made in July 2002. It is no wonder that even a Core 2 CPU, when overclocked, is more than capable of offering great performance in WoW.

A 4770k at stock is overkill for WoW, and overclocking it just to play WoW is a waste of heat & electricity.

If I played WoW only, it would probably take me several years before I would have to overclock it.

As to the rest:
>The trolls at MMO Champion used to say the same ignorant crap about my QX9650. They claimed that my QX9650@4GHz was severely bottlenecking the game at 25 man raids, and claimed that gaming on the QX9650 (a 2007 CPU) would be a lag fest. This, of course, was BS which I proved by posting a screenshot from a WoW 25 man raid where I was topping the DPS meters:



Proof above:

The above is a screenshot of a 25 man WoW raid, wherein I am topping the DPS meters with my QX9650@4GHZ (a November 2007 Core 2 CPU) at 1920X1080 ULTRA.

Clearly, if I didn't get sufficiently smooth gameplay, I would never have been able to top the DPS meters.

Conclusion: If a November 2007 CPU is able to offer such great performance in WoW, it follows that a 4770k @ stock is overkill, and -in addition- overclocking the 4770k just for WoW is a waste of heat, electricity and an unnecessary stress on one's system.

As always, happy to educate you.

 

Please tell me you are joking? Did you ever actually bother to do your research? Let me guess, you read the first line on Wikipedia after looking up Frame Rate?

 

There is a minima on the frame rate require for your brain to perceive motion via interpolation. Your brain essentially fills in the gaps of "data" during the time where there isn't a screen refresh. Hence why you perceive motion.

 

There literally is no maxim on the frame rate that the human eye is capable of perceiving. It varies by person. What refresh rate helps with is to essentially update your brain with new "data", rather than your brain essentially filling in the gaps.

 

And that isn't even taking into account the latency of how long it takes for the information to reach your brain. 33Hz literally means that your brain is getting an update on motion 30.3ms. 60Hz means your brain is getting an update every 16.7ms. And 120Hz means your brain is getting an update every 8.3 (repeating OFC) ms. Your brain is quite literally being starved for "data" at a low refresh rate. Your brain tries to make up for the difference, but that does not mean that it is perfect.

 

 

As for WoW. The graphics engine has been significantly updated since the game has came out. Since you seem dead set on your idea that it isn't, and nothing I say will convince you. Here is some lovely proof straight from Ghostcrawler's mouth:

 

Quote from Ghostcrawler's Twitter (Link):
 @Lilrex2013 We have updated the WoW engine every expansion. It's always unclear to me what players expect from an overhaul.

 

And I'm actually laughing sitting in my car reading your post and writing this response about you "topping the meters". You should've done some photoshop to at least make it look like you aren't in LFR, saying you are topping the meters against people who play even more casually than you do. Rogues back when Mogushan Vaults were actually relevant were easily pulling in the 160k+ dps range on that fight. Clearly you seem to be underperforming.

 

Also, here is something from someone who actually healed and dps'd at a fairly high level (world top 75). DPS means jack all if you are dead, or aren't doing your job. Topping DPS charts means utterly nothing if you weren't doing your job in the fight, or causing other people grief because you couldn't get it in your mind that the raid > you. You wouldn't know about that because, and yes I did check, you've never raided at that level.

 

 

 

 

There is a huge damn reason there are monitors above a 30Hz refresh rate. More information means less brain interpolation. Which means you can react faster to what is going on since you have the visual information to make a decision. Faster refresh rate means less motion blur because your brain isn't interpolating the frames being shown to you as much (Its no low persistance, but a high refresh rate of 120Hz+, heck even 96Hz+ is still considerably better at reducing motion blur).

 

 

I usually hate attacking other users, but your post is worse than a console player who adamantly thinks that 30Hz is the best refresh rate. It is unbelievable how uninformed you are on the topic. And its incredibly rude to make the comment, "As always, happy to educate you.", when you haven't even educated yourself.

 

Unbelievable.

post #32 of 44
Yeah well so, your verbosity aside, we return to the facts:

1. FPS over 30 is arguing semantics/unnecessary.
2. Overclocking a 4770k just to play WoW is unnecessary as a 7 year old Core 2 Quad is more than capable of offering a superb gaming experience.
3. Topping the DPS meters is possible at or below 30 FPS, therefore you don't have a clue what you are talking about.
4. Despite what GC said, WoW uses the same old July 2002 Warcraft III engine, which is why even Pentium 4's and Pentium III's perform well in WoW.

As always, happy to have been of assistance.
QX 9650: Retired
(17 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 Asus P5Q DELUXE Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 Super Overclock GSKILL Trident Extreme Performance Memory F2-88... 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
GSKILL Trident Extreme Performance Memory F2-88... GSKILL Trident Extreme Performance Memory F2-88... GSKILL Trident Extreme Performance Memory F2-88... Western Digital Caviar Blue 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital Caviar Blue Thermaltake Frio Overclock King Windows 7 Professional  Philips FTV 32PFL5605H, 32'' 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Comfort Curve Silverstone Strider Gold, 850W Cooler Master Cosmos RC 1000 Microsoft Intelli Mouse 
Audio
SoundBlaster Audigy 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Core™ i7-4770K Processor Asus Maximus VI Hero Palit GameRock NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GDDR... G.SKILL ARES F3-2400C11Q-32GAB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
WD Blue 6TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive WD Blue 6TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB Samsung 750 Evo 120 GB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG GDR-H30N DVD-ROM DRIVE Thermaltake Frio Overclock King Windows 7 Professional  Acer Predator X34 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Comfort Curve Silverstone Strider Gold, 850W Corsair 780T Sharkoon M20 Gaming Mouse 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium 4 Northwood@3.06 GHz with HT Single Cor... Intel 845 PE Brookdale based Toshiba BTR80 on T... Nvidia GeForce4 460 Go DDR1 1GB 
RAMHard DriveOS
DDR1 1GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD2500BEVE 250GB Windows XP 32bit Home Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
QX 9650: Retired
(17 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 Asus P5Q DELUXE Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 Super Overclock GSKILL Trident Extreme Performance Memory F2-88... 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
GSKILL Trident Extreme Performance Memory F2-88... GSKILL Trident Extreme Performance Memory F2-88... GSKILL Trident Extreme Performance Memory F2-88... Western Digital Caviar Blue 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital Caviar Blue Thermaltake Frio Overclock King Windows 7 Professional  Philips FTV 32PFL5605H, 32'' 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Comfort Curve Silverstone Strider Gold, 850W Cooler Master Cosmos RC 1000 Microsoft Intelli Mouse 
Audio
SoundBlaster Audigy 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Core™ i7-4770K Processor Asus Maximus VI Hero Palit GameRock NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GDDR... G.SKILL ARES F3-2400C11Q-32GAB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
WD Blue 6TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive WD Blue 6TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB Samsung 750 Evo 120 GB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG GDR-H30N DVD-ROM DRIVE Thermaltake Frio Overclock King Windows 7 Professional  Acer Predator X34 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Comfort Curve Silverstone Strider Gold, 850W Corsair 780T Sharkoon M20 Gaming Mouse 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium 4 Northwood@3.06 GHz with HT Single Cor... Intel 845 PE Brookdale based Toshiba BTR80 on T... Nvidia GeForce4 460 Go DDR1 1GB 
RAMHard DriveOS
DDR1 1GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD2500BEVE 250GB Windows XP 32bit Home Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxontas View Post

Yeah well so, your verbosity aside, we return to the facts:

1. FPS over 30 is arguing semantics/unnecessary.
2. Overclocking a 4770k just to play WoW is unnecessary as a 7 year old Core 2 Quad is more than capable of offering a superb gaming experience.
3. Topping the DPS meters is possible at or below 30 FPS, therefore you don't have a clue what you are talking about.
4. Despite what GC said, WoW uses the same old July 2002 Warcraft III engine, which is why even Pentium 4's and Pentium III's perform well in WoW.

As always, happy to have been of assistance.

 

Look, you were the one that took it upon yourself to be pretentious in your response to begin with. I tried not going on too severe of a rant.

 

  1. FPS over 30 isn't arguing semantics, nor is it unnecessary. It is incredibly relevant to the argument we have going on. And I've already given you information on why 30 fps isn't the maxim refresh rate and, as you put it, "anything above is unnecessary". The higher refresh rate you can achieve, the more information you are receiving. The more information you receive, the smoother your experience gets, and by consequence, your ability to make better informed decisions (split-second decision in this case) will be greatly helped due to being presented with more information to your retinas.
  2. You are on Overclock.net. We do it to have fun. Not to mention that data is being sent from your CPU to your GPU to be rendered. The faster that can be done, the faster your GPU can render out the information in a graphical output to your monitor. You literally bottleneck your GPU (as the GPU is capable of far more parallel processing than any CPU is capable of) by not feeding information from your CPU fast enough. Please read up on what a draw call is to learn more. I don't feel its worth my time anymore to even Google a more precise definition of what a draw call is for you as you don't seemingly bother to do your own research.
  3. Just because it uses the same base engine, doesn't mean that it hasn't been updated. Is the Source engine, developed in 2004, and debuted in Counter-Strike: Source, the same as the Source engine that was used in Portal 2? Yes/No. Were there drastic improvements to the engine, which provide better graphical fidelity (image quality)? Yes. Guess what those IQ enhancements required? Better computing power to actually execute that code in a timely manner. Same thing has happen to the graphics engine that WoW is coded upon. Shadows have been vastly improved. Different lighting engine. You name it. 
  4. Topping the DPS meters is always possible at any FPS. Topping the DPS meters, however, means jack all, especially when:
  • You have a raid full of people who are incapable of actually doing good DPS to begin with (your case)

  • You aren't doing your job in the raid, and instead making other player's lives unbearable because they are having to deal with the crap you are standing in, getting hit by, etc.

 

And finally, some word of advice. Don't sound like a pretentious prick by saying what you do at the end of your post. That stuff doesn't fly here @ OCN.

post #34 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxontas View Post

Acually, "the human eye and its brain interface, the human visual system, can process 10 to 12 separate images per second, perceiving them individually". So there IS a limit. Since the brain can only process 10-12 separate images per second, it follows that it cannot discern the difference between 60, 120, or 1800 FPS.

my palm is so far in my face
Reign
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5960x ASUS Rampage V Extreme 3x GeForce GTX Titan X G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
Samsung XP941 512GB Acer XB270HU  Ducky Shine 3 MX Red EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 G2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CaseLabs Merlin SM8 SteelSeries Kana v2 SteelSeries QcK Mass Sennheiser PC 350 SE 
  hide details  
Reply
Reign
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5960x ASUS Rampage V Extreme 3x GeForce GTX Titan X G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
Samsung XP941 512GB Acer XB270HU  Ducky Shine 3 MX Red EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 G2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CaseLabs Merlin SM8 SteelSeries Kana v2 SteelSeries QcK Mass Sennheiser PC 350 SE 
  hide details  
Reply
post #35 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinaesthetic View Post

Look, you were the one that took it upon yourself to be pretentious in your response to begin with. I tried not going on too severe of a rant.
  1. FPS over 30 isn't arguing semantics, nor is it unnecessary. It is incredibly relevant to the argument we have going on. And I've already given you information on why 30 fps isn't the maxim refresh rate and, as you put it, "anything above is unnecessary". The higher refresh rate you can achieve, the more information you are receiving. The more information you receive, the smoother your experience gets, and by consequence, your ability to make better informed decisions (split-second decision in this case) will be greatly helped due to being presented with more information to your retinas.
  2. You are on Overclock.net. We do it to have fun. Not to mention that data is being sent from your CPU to your GPU to be rendered. The faster that can be done, the faster your GPU can render out the information in a graphical output to your monitor. You literally bottleneck your GPU (as the GPU is capable of far more parallel processing than any CPU is capable of) by not feeding information from your CPU fast enough. Please read up on what a draw call is to learn more. I don't feel its worth my time anymore to even Google a more precise definition of what a draw call is for you as you don't seemingly bother to do your own research.
  3. Just because it uses the same base engine, doesn't mean that it hasn't been updated. Is the Source engine, developed in 2004, and debuted in Counter-Strike: Source, the same as the Source engine that was used in Portal 2? Yes/No. Were there drastic improvements to the engine, which provide better graphical fidelity (image quality)? Yes. Guess what those IQ enhancements required? Better computing power to actually execute that code in a timely manner. Same thing has happen to the graphics engine that WoW is coded upon. Shadows have been vastly improved. Different lighting engine. You name it. 
  4. Topping the DPS meters is always possible at any FPS. Topping the DPS meters, however, means jack all, especially when:
[*]
You have a raid full of people who are incapable of actually doing good DPS to begin with (your case)

[*]
You aren't doing your job in the raid, and instead making other player's lives unbearable because they are having to deal with the crap you are standing in, getting hit by, etc.



And finally, some word of advice. Don't sound like a pretentious prick by saying what you do at the end of your post. That stuff doesn't fly here @ OCN.

1. Your experience is not getting smoother by increasing your FPS over 30. You THINK it does. It's all in your head.

2. Nobody argues against overclocking for fun. I am saying that it isn't necessary.

3. WoW's engine hasn't been as improved as you think it is because the lowest requirements to play WoW is -still- a Pentium 4 and an AGP GPU.

Finally: Don't try to troll me, you are wasting your time.
QX 9650: Retired
(17 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 Asus P5Q DELUXE Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 Super Overclock GSKILL Trident Extreme Performance Memory F2-88... 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
GSKILL Trident Extreme Performance Memory F2-88... GSKILL Trident Extreme Performance Memory F2-88... GSKILL Trident Extreme Performance Memory F2-88... Western Digital Caviar Blue 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital Caviar Blue Thermaltake Frio Overclock King Windows 7 Professional  Philips FTV 32PFL5605H, 32'' 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Comfort Curve Silverstone Strider Gold, 850W Cooler Master Cosmos RC 1000 Microsoft Intelli Mouse 
Audio
SoundBlaster Audigy 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Core™ i7-4770K Processor Asus Maximus VI Hero Palit GameRock NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GDDR... G.SKILL ARES F3-2400C11Q-32GAB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
WD Blue 6TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive WD Blue 6TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB Samsung 750 Evo 120 GB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG GDR-H30N DVD-ROM DRIVE Thermaltake Frio Overclock King Windows 7 Professional  Acer Predator X34 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Comfort Curve Silverstone Strider Gold, 850W Corsair 780T Sharkoon M20 Gaming Mouse 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium 4 Northwood@3.06 GHz with HT Single Cor... Intel 845 PE Brookdale based Toshiba BTR80 on T... Nvidia GeForce4 460 Go DDR1 1GB 
RAMHard DriveOS
DDR1 1GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD2500BEVE 250GB Windows XP 32bit Home Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
QX 9650: Retired
(17 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 Asus P5Q DELUXE Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 Super Overclock GSKILL Trident Extreme Performance Memory F2-88... 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
GSKILL Trident Extreme Performance Memory F2-88... GSKILL Trident Extreme Performance Memory F2-88... GSKILL Trident Extreme Performance Memory F2-88... Western Digital Caviar Blue 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital Caviar Blue Thermaltake Frio Overclock King Windows 7 Professional  Philips FTV 32PFL5605H, 32'' 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Comfort Curve Silverstone Strider Gold, 850W Cooler Master Cosmos RC 1000 Microsoft Intelli Mouse 
Audio
SoundBlaster Audigy 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Core™ i7-4770K Processor Asus Maximus VI Hero Palit GameRock NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GDDR... G.SKILL ARES F3-2400C11Q-32GAB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
WD Blue 6TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive WD Blue 6TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB Samsung 750 Evo 120 GB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG GDR-H30N DVD-ROM DRIVE Thermaltake Frio Overclock King Windows 7 Professional  Acer Predator X34 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Comfort Curve Silverstone Strider Gold, 850W Corsair 780T Sharkoon M20 Gaming Mouse 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium 4 Northwood@3.06 GHz with HT Single Cor... Intel 845 PE Brookdale based Toshiba BTR80 on T... Nvidia GeForce4 460 Go DDR1 1GB 
RAMHard DriveOS
DDR1 1GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD2500BEVE 250GB Windows XP 32bit Home Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
post #36 of 44
I can absolutely tell the difference between 30 and above FPS... Another thing, i have a 1440p monitor than can do 120hz... I personally settled on 84hz and vsync for WoW- it makes for much smoother/clearer motion and less screen tearing... Trying to maintain 84fps with a stock clock cpu doesn't happen in ultra player busy environments... Overclocking this helped a lot... Monitor/Vsync at 84hz is noticeably smoother than 60... I want to say I could feel the diff between 96 and 84 but I won't argue that- which is why I settled on 84. Everyone is different...

I play PvP competitively, so dropping below 84 isn't an issue now with my setup... But if I do a raid or something similar I want to maintain as well as I can.

Bottom line... For the graphics produced (nothing special) WoW is a cpu hog, more so than a gpu hog like "most " games
post #37 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxontas View Post


1. Your experience is not getting smoother by increasing your FPS over 30. You THINK it does. It's all in your head.

2. Nobody argues against overclocking for fun. I am saying that it isn't necessary.

3. WoW's engine hasn't been as improved as you think it is because the lowest requirements to play WoW is -still- a Pentium 4 and an AGP GPU.

Finally: Don't try to troll me, you are wasting your time.

 

I don't think I've ever seen someone this stubborn on OCN. This is insane.

 

You ARE getting a smoother experience by increasing your FPS over 30 frames per second. Your brain is quite literally being fed more information. Have you EVER even played at 60fps? If not, then maybe I can give you a break. But I HIGHLY doubt it.

 

Given a monitor with a 60 Hz refresh rate (60 refreshe cycles per 1 second), and a 30 fps source. You are quite literally getting a frame refresh every other refresh cycle. A 60 fps source would mean you are getting an update EVERY refresh cycle. How that does not translate into smoother motion to you almost astounds me. Your experience is quite literally getting smoother the more information you have, or in a more technical view, the more times the updated information is being drawn.

 

And if you've EVER even played WoW at any fidelity higher than 720p, you'd know that even the BEST cpus out there are bogged down in areas such as major cities. Why? Because there are many calculations having to be done client side, on your cpu, before they are sent to the servers to update your game state on the actual servers.

 

Overclocking also helps your minimum frame-rates out, since code isn't always executed perfectly linearly. Occasionally code execution might hang up, at an interval that is very small, but still makes an impact to your frame-rate. How does it hang up? Your CPU has to do what is known as a draw call. It basically calculates all objects that are to be pushed to the GPU and rendered. That means textures, sizing, position data, etc. Faster that gets done, the sooner your GPU can render it out. Your CPU is intrinsically linked to your GPU's performance. The more CPU performance you can provide, the less your GPU is bottlenecked by it.

 

Oh, and because you seem so hung up by that minimum system requirement. You do realize that those requirements also rely on your actual resolution, i.e. the amount of pixels that need to be rendered out? Have crappy enough of a resolution, system requirements go down to achieve "playable" frame-rates. Is 30 fps on sub 720p playable? Yeah. Does it look good, or provide a solid experience? Guess its up to the user. I'd say it would look like utter garbage.

 

 

Also, I'm not remotely trolling you. I'm trying to counter every damn word you say with facts so that if someone ends up accidentally Googling this thread, they will realize that your information is utterly wrong, and won't be misled by what you said. You on the other hand, are either trolling, or seriously need to do some brushing up on your computer-based knowledge. If this entire argument causes me an infraction, but provides information down the line to shield them from your utter nonsense, then so be it.

 

TL;DR: You are flat out, completely 100% wrong. And even though this is a TL;DR, read the darn paragraphs.


Edited by Kinaesthetic - 3/4/14 at 1:17pm
post #38 of 44
Try and keep the thread on topic guys.

It's clear you don't agree on this subject so just leave it at that, instead of arguing. I don't want to get the paddle out. wink.gif
Define
(20 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-3770K @ 4.3GHz Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H ASUS GeForce GTX 980 Ti STRIX 6GB @ 1500MHz 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 @ 2400MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB Noctua NH-U14S 3x Noctua NF-A14 FLX 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Dell U2713HM Dell U2312HM Ducky Shine 3 Year of the Snake (MX Brown) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650W Fractal Design Define R5 Black Mionix Naos 7000 SteelSeries QcK 
AudioAudioAudioOther
Sennheiser HD 650 Fostex TH-X00 Ebony Parasound Zdac TP-LINK Archer T9E  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Xeon E5-2620 v4 @ 3GHz Matrox G200eH2 4x8GB Kingston Dual Rank ECC DDR4 @ 2133MHz 2x Samsung PM863 120GB in RAID1 
Hard DriveOS
4x WD Red 3TB in RAID5 ESXi 6.5 
  hide details  
Reply
Define
(20 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-3770K @ 4.3GHz Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H ASUS GeForce GTX 980 Ti STRIX 6GB @ 1500MHz 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 @ 2400MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB Noctua NH-U14S 3x Noctua NF-A14 FLX 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Dell U2713HM Dell U2312HM Ducky Shine 3 Year of the Snake (MX Brown) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650W Fractal Design Define R5 Black Mionix Naos 7000 SteelSeries QcK 
AudioAudioAudioOther
Sennheiser HD 650 Fostex TH-X00 Ebony Parasound Zdac TP-LINK Archer T9E  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Xeon E5-2620 v4 @ 3GHz Matrox G200eH2 4x8GB Kingston Dual Rank ECC DDR4 @ 2133MHz 2x Samsung PM863 120GB in RAID1 
Hard DriveOS
4x WD Red 3TB in RAID5 ESXi 6.5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #39 of 44
Thread Starter 
KitGuru called the cpu "5960X", as on this page:

http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/anton-shilov/intel-pulls-in-introduction-of-core-i7-extreme-haswell-e-5000-series-to-q2/
Edited by Neon Lights - 3/15/14 at 10:08am
post #40 of 44
I know this is a couple of days old, but I found this thread when looking for product lineups on the haswell-e chips.

There isn't any trolling happening here.

We had a rogue in TBC who was our top damage dealer and he consistently played at ~15 fps on his macbook. He could play competently, but more FPS would have been an advantage. I don't know enough about visual data processing to argue this point, but I do know from my own anecdotal experience that you can play well at a low frame rate.

As far as wow's graphics engine? You're flat wrong in that. There have been significant updates with every expansion, as Kinaesthtic pointed out. It seems you refuse to believe this, but it's true. For verification, please consider this. When the game was originally launched in 2004, it used DirectX 9 for rendering. In WotLK or Cataclysm, the graphics engine was changed so much that it now uses DirectX 11. If there have been no updates, how then is it possible that the game uses a technology developed years after the games release?

Now I don't doubt that your 2007 CPU runs the game, but does it run it well? Maybe... Does it run it as well as a 4770k? Absolutely not.

Here's a clip from a Tom's hardware review that covers WoW's CPU scaling: (source:http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/world-of-warcraft-cataclysm-directx-11-performance,2793-22.html)

And how about processors? After all, games are impacted most forcefully by the power of your GPU. WoW, it appears, bucks that trend to a large degree. Without question, we see the best performance on Intel CPUs with remarkable scaling from 100 FPS down to 60ish frames per second with a GeForce GTX 480 at 1680x1050 (Ultra quality) as you shed clock rate, cores, and cache. We've said it before and we'll say it again: when it comes to gaming, balance is everything. Don't buy a high-end graphics card if you're using a mid-ranged processor; you'll simply handicap the GPU, failing to realize its potential. In this case, an overclocked Core i5 serves up reasonable performance, but a Core i7 is undoubtedly the gold standard if you're rocking a fancy graphics card.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Is anyone planning to preorder the Intel Core i7 "5960X" (Haswell E)?