Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › HTPC › New HTPC Build
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New HTPC Build - Page 2

post #11 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azefore View Post

Looks like it'd do just fine, I do believe an AMD APU would be better suited for your needs/budget especially considering the stock cooler is pretty sufficient and their integrated graphics surpass Intel's last I checked.
Would be able to do an APU and micro ATX mobo for roughly the ballpark of the i3's lowest cost on PCPP, heck you could easily squeeze in an APU and one of the $90-120 more sparsely seen mini ITX FM2 boards as well, just my thoughts on that.

Might want to take a look at Silverstones or some of the off brand HTPC cases like the ML03B to get a nice home theater look. If anything the new CM Elite 110 would be perfect if you wanted that cube/minimalist look while taking up even less depth on/in a tv stand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azefore View Post

Looks like it'd do just fine, I do believe an AMD APU would be better suited for your needs/budget especially considering the stock cooler is pretty sufficient and their integrated graphics surpass Intel's last I checked.
Would be able to do an APU and micro ATX mobo for roughly the ballpark of the i3's lowest cost on PCPP, heck you could easily squeeze in an APU and one of the $90-120 more sparsely seen mini ITX FM2 boards as well, just my thoughts on that.

Might want to take a look at Silverstones or some of the off brand HTPC cases like the ML03B to get a nice home theater look. If anything the new CM Elite 110 would be perfect if you wanted that cube/minimalist look while taking up even less depth on/in a tv stand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cones View Post

If you are using windows you may want some more RAM, noticed you will have 4gb instead of 2gb. Now that I noticed that it should be fine for what you want.

Thanks for your response. I will definitely take the AMD APU into consideration, but I really want an Intel i3 4330 because I intend on doing something with it that I cannot do with an AMD processor. However, the price for the CPU/Mobo combo is really nice. I do like the looks of the ML03B. In fact, that is kind of what I had in mind. Thanks for the suggestion. That case looks like a really tight fit. Do you the ease of installation on a case like that?

Thank you for the help!

@cone:

I have a 2GB stick at home and I found the exact same stick pretty cheap. I will have 4GBs, in all.

Thanks!
Edited by testudoaubreii - 2/28/14 at 3:55pm
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by testudoaubreii View Post

Thanks for your response. I will definitely take the AMD APU into consideration, but I really want an Intel i3 4330 because I intend on doing something with it that I cannot do with an AMD processor. However, the price for the CPU/Mobo combo is really nice. I do like the looks of the ML03B. In fact, that is kind of what I had in mind. Thanks for the suggestion. That case looks like a really tight fit. Do you the ease of installation on a case like that?

Thank you for the help!

@cone:

I have a 2GB stick at home and I found the exact same stick pretty cheap. I will have 4GBs, in all.
Thanks!

As long as your PSU isn't too long you'll be fine, 140mm should be the comfortable maximum, I think I could manage 180mm in my ML04 and probably the ML03 as well.

If you check my HTPC sig rig picture you'll get a feel for the size. My Nexus 5 is in there for reference if you have a comparable 5 inch smartphone.
Image (Click to show)

It uses the same chassis as the ML03 but has a different front, tons of spare room for cables, ~3" for a cpu cooler, and can easily sit in an optical drive with quite a few other areas for HDDs/SSDs.
Edited by Azefore - 2/28/14 at 4:18pm
Kaga (WIP)
(22 items)
 
   
GraphicsRAMMonitorPower
1080Ti x2 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666 (64GB Total) Acer Predator X34P or Equivalent Seasonic Snow Silent - 1050w 
OtherOtherOther
Custom Acrylic Engraving Straight 8 Pin cables + Cable Combs 3x EK-Vardar F2, 2x Replacement Front 140mm 
  hide details  
Reply
Kaga (WIP)
(22 items)
 
   
GraphicsRAMMonitorPower
1080Ti x2 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666 (64GB Total) Acer Predator X34P or Equivalent Seasonic Snow Silent - 1050w 
OtherOtherOther
Custom Acrylic Engraving Straight 8 Pin cables + Cable Combs 3x EK-Vardar F2, 2x Replacement Front 140mm 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 19
Do you plan on storing the media directly on this?

Have you considered a simpler device like a WD TV, Google TV, Apple TV, Roku, etc?

I have a $79 Vizio Co-star connected to my TV. I stream all of my content to it from another computer. It plays everything flawlessly and has apps like plex, chrome, dlna app, youtube, netflix, amazon video, etc. It even has a usb port if you wanted to add a usb HDD for local playback. Comes with a remote that i personally like and also works for my cable.

The only criteria it doesnt meet is recording TV, which for $350-$400 you likely wont be doing anyway.

Also you made mention that the i3 does something the amd apu's wont, whats that?

Ill post an amd and intel build when i have time
post #14 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0CoolX View Post

Do you plan on storing the media directly on this?

Have you considered a simpler device like a WD TV, Google TV, Apple TV, Roku, etc?

I have a $79 Vizio Co-star connected to my TV. I stream all of my content to it from another computer. It plays everything flawlessly and has apps like plex, chrome, dlna app, youtube, netflix, amazon video, etc. It even has a usb port if you wanted to add a usb HDD for local playback. Comes with a remote that i personally like and also works for my cable.

The only criteria it doesnt meet is recording TV, which for $350-$400 you likely wont be doing anyway.

Also you made mention that the i3 does something the amd apu's wont, whats that?

Ill post an amd and intel build when i have time

Yeah, I have considered it. I have an old Dell Dimension with a Pentium 4 that I have as a central storage unit with PS3 Media Server installed. It goes to all of the TVs in the house, but it is not really reliable. That is one of the reasons I want to build a new one. And, I want to try to install a "different" OS on the new build. I will have to use that i3, or I will have to perhaps use an Ivy Bridge Dual Core Pentium with a very low end graphics card.
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by testudoaubreii View Post

Yeah, I have considered it. I have an old Dell Dimension with a Pentium 4 that I have as a central storage unit with PS3 Media Server installed. It goes to all of the TVs in the house, but it is not really reliable. That is one of the reasons I want to build a new one. And, I want to try to install a "different" OS on the new build. I will have to use that i3, or I will have to perhaps use an Ivy Bridge Dual Core Pentium with a very low end graphics card.

If the TV tuner aspect isnt that important to you i would instead consider spending the money on building a new server and ditching the p4 Dell, and using cheap devices like roku/google tv/apple tv to stream to. To start you get the benefit of a centralized solution to streaming media. In addition you can use the server to do things like backup client computers, run downloads, etc. You could build a new server that would be much more energy efficient than the P4 (they are notoriously power hungry). When using features like youtube/netflix etc a streaming box will use alot less power then a computer.

For about $400 you could buy/build a pretty solid home server base, and over time invest into storage (not sure how much space you need or what you currently have).

I personally dont see HTPC's as being generally viable anymore. Except for "cutting the cord" and using a tv tuner card everything else a HTPC can do can be done by other devices cheaper and more efficiently.

I recently built the server in my sig. I have a vizio gtv at my living room tv, my nexus 5, my wifes S4, her Kindle HD, my desktop gaming rig and my Surface Pro 2 all able to play media from my local network off the server. I even have it setup to allow playing my plex content remotely on those devices or from any browser so my movies and files are always available. However when i watch netflix/amazon prime my server doesnt need to be on and any of those devices can still stream the content while using much less energy.

Before this i was streaming my local video from my gaming desktop which is not energy efficient. Also my gaming desktop was loud, the server is whisper quite (though an htpc should be too).
post #16 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0CoolX View Post

If the TV tuner aspect isnt that important to you i would instead consider spending the money on building a new server and ditching the p4 Dell, and using cheap devices like roku/google tv/apple tv to stream to. To start you get the benefit of a centralized solution to streaming media. In addition you can use the server to do things like backup client computers, run downloads, etc. You could build a new server that would be much more energy efficient than the P4 (they are notoriously power hungry). When using features like youtube/netflix etc a streaming box will use alot less power then a computer.

For about $400 you could buy/build a pretty solid home server base, and over time invest into storage (not sure how much space you need or what you currently have).

I personally dont see HTPC's as being generally viable anymore. Except for "cutting the cord" and using a tv tuner card everything else a HTPC can do can be done by other devices cheaper and more efficiently.

I recently built the server in my sig. I have a vizio gtv at my living room tv, my nexus 5, my wifes S4, her Kindle HD, my desktop gaming rig and my Surface Pro 2 all able to play media from my local network off the server. I even have it setup to allow playing my plex content remotely on those devices or from any browser so my movies and files are always available. However when i watch netflix/amazon prime my server doesnt need to be on and any of those devices can still stream the content while using much less energy.

Before this i was streaming my local video from my gaming desktop which is not energy efficient. Also my gaming desktop was loud, the server is whisper quite (though an htpc should be too).

Thank you for the response and the advice! I really appreciate it. I am really thinking about doing what you explained in your post. In fact, this is what I just ordered and I think that I can make a decent server out of it:

i3 4330 3.5 Ghz
2 x 4 GB Crucial Ballistic
Corsair CX 430 watt modular PSU
Gigabyte H81 Mini ITX mobo
Kingston 120GB SSD (I have one that is not being used right now, so I didn't have to buy one)
1TB USB 3.0 external HDD (already have this one, too)

I have a gaming rig, too, and it is pretty loud and, like you stated, not energy efficient. I actually have it hooked up as a secondary monitor, so the video we watch is coming straight from that now. We stream Netfix and stuff from our TVs, which are smart TVs. I did like having a centralized device for storage and streaming. I think it would be great to have something like that again.

What do you think about those components that I listed? Will they do the trick?

Thanks!
post #17 of 19
Just going to say, depending on the file being played, sometimes only an HTPC or regular computer can chug through it. Example being 10bit H.264.

I know my older WDTV Live Plus cannot play some files (wired or wireless) because of file type limitations and/or hardware limitations. The same goes for my OUYA with Tegra 3 that stutters/can't handle the higher bit rate stuff since some files have to rely solely on software decoding.

It's all user dependent, I just threw my hands up and made a OS only HTPC while I use a 12TB NAS enclosure for streaming of media and storage of files.
Edited by Azefore - 3/4/14 at 12:18pm
Kaga (WIP)
(22 items)
 
   
GraphicsRAMMonitorPower
1080Ti x2 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666 (64GB Total) Acer Predator X34P or Equivalent Seasonic Snow Silent - 1050w 
OtherOtherOther
Custom Acrylic Engraving Straight 8 Pin cables + Cable Combs 3x EK-Vardar F2, 2x Replacement Front 140mm 
  hide details  
Reply
Kaga (WIP)
(22 items)
 
   
GraphicsRAMMonitorPower
1080Ti x2 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666 (64GB Total) Acer Predator X34P or Equivalent Seasonic Snow Silent - 1050w 
OtherOtherOther
Custom Acrylic Engraving Straight 8 Pin cables + Cable Combs 3x EK-Vardar F2, 2x Replacement Front 140mm 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azefore View Post

Just going to say, depending on the file being played, sometimes only an HTPC or regular computer can chug through it. Example being 10bit H.264.

I know my older WDTV Live Plus cannot play some files (wired or wireless) because of file type limitations and/or hardware limitations. The same goes for my OUYA with Tegra 3 that stutters/can't handle the higher bit rate stuff since some files have to rely solely on software decoding.

It's all user dependent, I just threw my hands up and made a OS only HTPC while I use a 12TB NAS enclosure for streaming of media and storage of files.

I've actually noticed that on my LG when trying to stream certain files.
post #19 of 19
Yea that build isnt bad. I havent had any playback issues but i also am using gigabit ethernet for both the server, gaming rig, and google tv. Tablets and phones are on 5Ghz 450mbps wifi. The only issue i had was with some mkv files not playing back on google tv, but i now keep my entire library of videos in .mp4 format. Its just a matter of finding your preferred format and trying to stick to that.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HTPC
Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › HTPC › New HTPC Build