Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › AMD No longer a viable option for mid-high end?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AMD No longer a viable option for mid-high end? - Page 102  

post #1011 of 1593
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo01 View Post

Well not really. Businesses still use dated Opterons for example (AM2). A lot of systems use dated workstations. A lot of people are still happy using their low spec system with XP.


A system will last you years, it's the impatience or need for speed (as I have said when time = money) that causes an upgrade smile.gif or a gamer wanting more FPS.


So no it isn't always viable, people use laptops, which by the way, is MUCH slower than our desktop systems. Many game on laptops, many do work on laptops.

Your point is aimed towards enthusiasts mainly.

The topic is mid-high end, so to even try to bring in the cheapest of the cheapest for people that need the minimal level of performance, doesn't really fly.

You AMD defenders continually show a pattern of if all else fails, climb down the ladder. Like the Kaveri discussion for example......which is NOT even a mid range chip by todays standards. Unless you consider half of an 8350 or a little better than a Phenom II x4 to be mid range by today's standards, which really wouldn't be accurate at all.

I think a fair assessment of where mid range starts for AMD is the 6300 or the 8320.
Edited by AMDATI - 3/30/14 at 2:03pm
Not Yours
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k ASRock Z97E-ITX/AC MSI GTX 1080Ti G.SKILL DDR3  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
SAMSUNG 830 OCZ Deneva 2R WD Scorpio Noctua U14S 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Acer XB270HU IPS CM Quickfire Rapid Fractal Design 650w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Node 304 SteelSeries Rival 700 SteelSeries Qck Sennheiser HD598 
  hide details  
Not Yours
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k ASRock Z97E-ITX/AC MSI GTX 1080Ti G.SKILL DDR3  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
SAMSUNG 830 OCZ Deneva 2R WD Scorpio Noctua U14S 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Acer XB270HU IPS CM Quickfire Rapid Fractal Design 650w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Node 304 SteelSeries Rival 700 SteelSeries Qck Sennheiser HD598 
  hide details  
post #1012 of 1593
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDATI View Post

The topic is mid-high end, so to even try to bring in the cheapest of the cheapest for people that need the minimal level of performance, doesn't really fly.

You AMD defenders continually show a pattern of if all else fails, climb down the ladder. Like the Kaveri discussion for example......which is NOT even a mid range chip by todays standards. unless you consider half of an 8350 or a Phenom II x4 to be mid range by today's standards LOL.
Funny you dodge so many points when you realize you are inept to have a valid discussion. So here, try answering this post: http://www.overclock.net/t/1470614/amd-no-longer-a-viable-option-for-mid-high-end/850#post_22013897

And as I stated before the question "Is AMD viable for mid-high-end?' has been answered as yes. You have yet to prove otherwise.

Just answer the post linked above.
post #1013 of 1593
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durquavian View Post

Funny you dodge so many points when you realize you are inept to have a valid discussion. So here, try answering this post: http://www.overclock.net/t/1470614/amd-no-longer-a-viable-option-for-mid-high-end/850#post_22013897

And as I stated before the question "Is AMD viable for mid-high-end?' has been answered as yes. You have yet to prove otherwise.

Just answer the post linked above.

It's not dodging when people try to bring things outside the scope of the topic to try to make a point that is very much invalid. How's that for inept.

And I'm not going back 20 pages to read something that was most likely already covered.

I will say this again: Kaveri is NOT a mid range CPU, and it still loses in price to performance over standalone CPU/GPU. .
Edited by AMDATI - 3/30/14 at 2:11pm
Not Yours
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k ASRock Z97E-ITX/AC MSI GTX 1080Ti G.SKILL DDR3  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
SAMSUNG 830 OCZ Deneva 2R WD Scorpio Noctua U14S 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Acer XB270HU IPS CM Quickfire Rapid Fractal Design 650w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Node 304 SteelSeries Rival 700 SteelSeries Qck Sennheiser HD598 
  hide details  
Not Yours
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k ASRock Z97E-ITX/AC MSI GTX 1080Ti G.SKILL DDR3  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
SAMSUNG 830 OCZ Deneva 2R WD Scorpio Noctua U14S 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Acer XB270HU IPS CM Quickfire Rapid Fractal Design 650w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Node 304 SteelSeries Rival 700 SteelSeries Qck Sennheiser HD598 
  hide details  
post #1014 of 1593
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDATI View Post

The topic is mid-high end, so to even try to bring in the cheapest of the cheapest for people that need the minimal level of performance, doesn't really fly.

You AMD defenders continually show a pattern of if all else fails, climb down the ladder. Like the Kaveri discussion for example......which is NOT even a mid range chip by todays standards. Unless you consider half of an 8350 or a little better than a Phenom II x4 to be mid range by today's standards, which really wouldn't be accurate at all.

I think a fair assessment of where mid range starts for AMD is the 6300 or the 8320.

You can't say "you AMD defenders" as you are simply labelling user's comments. Which ultimately makes you seem very biased.

The point is it isn't always about "high end" as Kaveri actually provides "high end gaming".

Durquavian posted a very good graph proving that a "low end" as you'd say, chip from AMD is actually capable of high end gaming.

Now, a chip, an APU, iGPU running at 1080P? Ask that a few years ago. It's impressive and can't be sniffed at.


Just because YOU don't like to game at low-mid graphics at 1080P doesn't make the chip worthless. You have to cough up cash to game at those resolutions you do realise.
post #1015 of 1593
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo01 View Post

You can't say "you AMD defenders" as you are simply labelling user's comments. Which ultimately makes you seem very biased.

The point is it isn't always about "high end" as Kaveri actually provides "high end gaming".

Durquavian posted a very good graph proving that a "low end" as you'd say, chip from AMD is actually capable of high end gaming.

Now, a chip, an APU, iGPU running at 1080P? Ask that a few years ago. It's impressive and can't be sniffed at.


Just because YOU don't like to game at low-mid graphics at 1080P doesn't make the chip worthless. You have to cough up cash to game at those resolutions you do realise.

Coming to a conclusion, is not bias. You only see it as bias, because your bias blinds you. I have no brand affiliations, if one truly wins out over the other, I call it like it is.

Kaveri's GPU is NOT a high end GPU, in fact, it's not even a mid range GPU. It's about equivalent to what....the r7 250? The 750ti wipes the floor with it, and that's actually a lower mid range card. In fact, you'd actually be better off with a standalone AMD quad core and a ~$100 GPU, while having a pretty significant boost in performance for about the same price as the 7850k. The only real drawback would be slightly higher power consumption.
Edited by AMDATI - 3/30/14 at 2:23pm
Not Yours
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k ASRock Z97E-ITX/AC MSI GTX 1080Ti G.SKILL DDR3  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
SAMSUNG 830 OCZ Deneva 2R WD Scorpio Noctua U14S 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Acer XB270HU IPS CM Quickfire Rapid Fractal Design 650w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Node 304 SteelSeries Rival 700 SteelSeries Qck Sennheiser HD598 
  hide details  
Not Yours
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k ASRock Z97E-ITX/AC MSI GTX 1080Ti G.SKILL DDR3  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
SAMSUNG 830 OCZ Deneva 2R WD Scorpio Noctua U14S 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Acer XB270HU IPS CM Quickfire Rapid Fractal Design 650w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Node 304 SteelSeries Rival 700 SteelSeries Qck Sennheiser HD598 
  hide details  
post #1016 of 1593
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996gt2 View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Geez, the reading comprehension of some of the people on here astounds me.

I'm talking about "future-proof" from the point of view of 3 years ago.

i.e. If you bought a Sandy Bridge 2600K 3.5 years ago on release (it was $299, btw), then you would still have no need to upgrade today, as your 3.5 year old chip would still be faster than anything AMD has available in 2014, and wouldn't be very far off compared to Ivy Bridge/Haswell parts given the better OC headroom of Sandy Bridge.

Whereas if you waited until late 2011 to buy a FX-8150 (it was $245), then you would be way behind the curve in 2014. Even if you had upgraded to Vishera in 2012, you would still have a processor that is slower than a 2600K from January 2011.
Tl; DR: a 2600K bought in 2011 is still a very fast chip in 2014, and will likely remain that way for at least 2 more years. That's fits the very definition of "future-proof" from a CPU standpoint

AMD? Not even close.


Make sense?
Not quite

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-2600K-vs-AMD-FX-8350
This is just general comparisons at stock and like the Gaming graphs, no home run.

AMD vs. Intel, the ultimate gaming showdown: 5GHz FX-9590 vs. i7-4960X
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/170023-amd-vs-intel-the-ultimate-gaming-showdown-5ghz-fx-9590-vs-i7-4960x
Quote:
But does it compete, in both configurations? Absolutely yes.
They used both a 290X and 7990 for the tests, definitely top end GPUs.

And I am quite certain that 4960X is better than your 2600K and the 9590 aka:8350@5.0Ghz is hanging with it. So you can give up the AMD bashing, the question has been answered.

As far as longevity, the 8350 has at least 2 years on it in the good. I am certain by then we will have a replacement and no it wont likely be on the AM3+. I am not crying over it, not sure why you think I should. Besides when it comes to board changes Intel is king in that regard so before you throw stones make sure you move out of your glass house. And on a side note, get some curtains.
post #1017 of 1593
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDATI View Post

It's not dodging when people try to bring things outside the scope of the topic to try to make a point that is very much invalid. How's that for inept.

And I'm not going back 20 pages to read something that was most likely already covered.

I will say this again: Kaveri is NOT a mid range CPU, and it still loses in price to performance over standalone CPU/GPU. .
I have asked you three times now so I feel safe in saying it is because you were DEAD WRONG. Pretty much the norm for your contributions in this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDATI View Post

Coming to a conclusion, is not bias. You only see it as bias, because your bias blinds you. I have no brand affiliations, if one truly wins out over the other, I call it like it is.

Kaveri's GPU is NOT a high end GPU, in fact, it's not even a mid range GPU. It's about equivalent to what....the r7 250? The 750ti wipes the floor with it, and that's actually a lower mid range card. In fact, you'd actually be better off with a standalone AMD quad core and a ~$100 GPU, while having a pretty significant boost in performance for about the same price as the 7850k. The only real drawback would be slightly higher power consumption.
Maybe you should go back and read the post, you are making a bigger fool of yourself here. Just saying: you obviously know little of Kaveri.
Edited by Durquavian - 3/30/14 at 2:31pm
post #1018 of 1593
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durquavian View Post


As far as longevity, the 8350 has at least 2 years on it in the good. I am certain by then we will have a replacement and no it wont likely be on the AM3+. I am not crying over it, not sure why you think I should. Besides when it comes to board changes Intel is king in that regard so before you throw stones make sure you move out of your glass house. And on a side note, get some curtains.

The only replacement for the FX series you will find in 2 years is in the Opteron family....and opteron are primarily designed for more threads but even less core strength in each than the FX series. And you will also still have the problem of not being able to take advantage of all those cores.

When games move up to 8 threads on average, that 12 or 16 core cpu will still be under utilized (not to mention slower than the FX). And outside of games, the stronger per core power of i7 6-core CPU's will be far more attractive than Opterons too, both in price and performance.
Edited by AMDATI - 3/30/14 at 2:43pm
Not Yours
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k ASRock Z97E-ITX/AC MSI GTX 1080Ti G.SKILL DDR3  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
SAMSUNG 830 OCZ Deneva 2R WD Scorpio Noctua U14S 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Acer XB270HU IPS CM Quickfire Rapid Fractal Design 650w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Node 304 SteelSeries Rival 700 SteelSeries Qck Sennheiser HD598 
  hide details  
Not Yours
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k ASRock Z97E-ITX/AC MSI GTX 1080Ti G.SKILL DDR3  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
SAMSUNG 830 OCZ Deneva 2R WD Scorpio Noctua U14S 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Acer XB270HU IPS CM Quickfire Rapid Fractal Design 650w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Node 304 SteelSeries Rival 700 SteelSeries Qck Sennheiser HD598 
  hide details  
post #1019 of 1593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durquavian View Post


Not quite

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-2600K-vs-AMD-FX-8350
This is just general comparisons at stock and like the Gaming graphs, no home run.

AMD vs. Intel, the ultimate gaming showdown: 5GHz FX-9590 vs. i7-4960X
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/170023-amd-vs-intel-the-ultimate-gaming-showdown-5ghz-fx-9590-vs-i7-4960x
They used both a 290X and 7990 for the tests, definitely top end GPUs.

And I am quite certain that 4960X is better than your 2600K and the 9590 aka:8350@5.0Ghz is hanging with it. So you can give up the AMD bashing, the question has been answered.

As far as longevity, the 8350 has at least 2 years on it in the good. I am certain by then we will have a replacement and no it wont likely be on the AM3+. I am not crying over it, not sure why you think I should. Besides when it comes to board changes Intel is king in that regard so before you throw stones make sure you move out of your glass house. And on a side note, get some curtains.

 

Man, your hypocrisy is astounding. You complain on every other thread that you absolutely hate benchmarks from other websites, but then all of a sudden, benchmarks from other websites now apply?

 

This thread wouldn't have gotten nearly as many replies if it weren't for the fact that it is in the AMD CPU section, where people fight tooth and nail to prove their choice is right.

 

 

 

Simple fact is, if a chip right for you, it is right for you. But that doesn't give you the right at all to put your bias in the equation. Half the users in this thread I see fight tooth and nail every thread to prove AMD. The other half, to prove Intel.

 

How about this: Why don't you actually prove fact? And not proving your opinion. Oh, and don't be hypocritical while doing it too.

post #1020 of 1593
that^ and all the double-triple posting I'm sure doesn't help.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2670 @ 2.8Ghz m4600 m5100 @ 1100c/1500m 16GB DDR3 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
c300 128GB SSD 2TB FireCuda 7mm 2TB Firecuda 7mm 1TB 5400rpm 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
750GB 5400rpm Windows 10 x64  1920x1080 @90hz 150w 
Mouse
Corsair M40 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2670 @ 2.8Ghz m4600 m5100 @ 1100c/1500m 16GB DDR3 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
c300 128GB SSD 2TB FireCuda 7mm 2TB Firecuda 7mm 1TB 5400rpm 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
750GB 5400rpm Windows 10 x64  1920x1080 @90hz 150w 
Mouse
Corsair M40 
  hide details  
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › AMD No longer a viable option for mid-high end?