Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › NVIDIA Cooling › Noob Needs Help - Triple GTX 780 TI Water Cooling
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Noob Needs Help - Triple GTX 780 TI Water Cooling

post #1 of 30
Thread Starter 
Title says it - I'm a noob when it comes to water cooling; I'm fixing to pull the trigger on a very high end build (reference link below) and need some detailed guidance as to how I should handle my GPU cooling solution.

I don't want to throw budget numbers out there, I just want something (a kit or walk through with hand picked components) that is intuitive, performs well, and is reliable.

Build: My Component Selection Thread .

If you don't care to see my whole build and just wanna know what GPU I'll be using, here it is:
ASUS Direct CU 780 TI


I'm not set with the GPU I have selected. I can switch to a different version if that's what is needed to water cool.

I'm open for all comments/suggestions/help. Thanks in advance thumb.gif
post #2 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahomie View Post

Title says it - I'm a noob when it comes to water cooling; I'm fixing to pull the trigger on a very high end build (reference link below) and need some detailed guidance as to how I should handle my GPU cooling solution.

I don't want to throw budget numbers out there, I just want something (a kit or walk through with hand picked components) that is intuitive, performs well, and is reliable.

Build: My Component Selection Thread .

If you don't care to see my whole build and just wanna know what GPU I'll be using, here it is:
ASUS Direct CU 780 TI


I'm not set with the GPU I have selected. I can switch to a different version if that's what is needed to water cool.

I'm open for all comments/suggestions/help. Thanks in advance thumb.gif

Nunber one rule.. make sure that there are waterblocks available for the GPU you are thinking about. Many GPU's are non-reference... and the usual waterblock makers may not see enough volume to make it worth their while. I know this seems like common-sense, but I hear stories all the time about how someone bought their dream GPU, and they can't get full blocks for them.

This is EK's Cooling Configurator... where you can check for EK compatibility at least:

http://www.coolingconfigurator.com/step1

It looks like EK has you covered... so some of the other manufacturers probably will to!

Workstation
(16 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
INtel 4770k ASUS maximus extreme VI  EVGA GTX 780Ti SC  EVGA GTX 780Ti SC 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
EVGA GTX 780Ti SC Kingston HyperX Beast 32 GB Kit (4x8 GB) 2400MH... Western Digital 2tb Enterprise Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pawtec External USB 3.0 Aluminum 8X DVD-RW Writ... Primochill ghost fitings Monsoon reservoir Swifttech MCP50x/2  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Primochill rigid acrylic tubing EK supremacy CPU block - Nickel EK 780Ti waterblocks x3 - Nickel Lamptron FC9 fan Controller 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
9x Primochill Acrylic Radiator Grills Alphacool ST30 280 radiator Alphacool ST30 280 radiator Alphacool 420 80mm 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate Dell UW3014 Merc stealth steel series keyboard EVGA NEX1500 PSU 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Lian Li PC-D600 Razer Death Adder Mouse Razer Scarab mousepad Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers with sub 
  hide details  
Reply
Workstation
(16 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
INtel 4770k ASUS maximus extreme VI  EVGA GTX 780Ti SC  EVGA GTX 780Ti SC 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
EVGA GTX 780Ti SC Kingston HyperX Beast 32 GB Kit (4x8 GB) 2400MH... Western Digital 2tb Enterprise Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pawtec External USB 3.0 Aluminum 8X DVD-RW Writ... Primochill ghost fitings Monsoon reservoir Swifttech MCP50x/2  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Primochill rigid acrylic tubing EK supremacy CPU block - Nickel EK 780Ti waterblocks x3 - Nickel Lamptron FC9 fan Controller 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
9x Primochill Acrylic Radiator Grills Alphacool ST30 280 radiator Alphacool ST30 280 radiator Alphacool 420 80mm 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate Dell UW3014 Merc stealth steel series keyboard EVGA NEX1500 PSU 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Lian Li PC-D600 Razer Death Adder Mouse Razer Scarab mousepad Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers with sub 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahomie View Post

Title says it - I'm a noob when it comes to water cooling; I'm fixing to pull the trigger on a very high end build (reference link below) and need some detailed guidance as to how I should handle my GPU cooling solution.

I don't want to throw budget numbers out there, I just want something (a kit or walk through with hand picked components) that is intuitive, performs well, and is reliable.

Build: My Component Selection Thread .

If you don't care to see my whole build and just wanna know what GPU I'll be using, here it is:
ASUS Direct CU 780 TI


I'm not set with the GPU I have selected. I can switch to a different version if that's what is needed to water cool.

I'm open for all comments/suggestions/help. Thanks in advance thumb.gif

 

It would be my suggestion to go with the EVGA GTX 780 Ti Classified if your budget can fit it. As you seem to be looking towards a custom loop, then you'll have quite a bit of thermal headroom to play with. And if you enjoy overclocking, the Classified is the winner. Mainly because its the only GTX 780 Ti that isn't fully voltage locked. All other 780Ti models are hardware voltage locked.

 

As for waterblocks for the 780Ti Classified, EK makes waterblocks for said card. I believe there is a nickel/acetal, and a nickel/plexi version for it.

post #4 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinaesthetic View Post

It would be my suggestion to go with the EVGA GTX 780 Ti Classified if your budget can fit it. As you seem to be looking towards a custom loop, then you'll have quite a bit of thermal headroom to play with. And if you enjoy overclocking, the Classified is the winner. Mainly because its the only GTX 780 Ti that isn't fully voltage locked. All other 780Ti models are hardware voltage locked.

As for waterblocks for the 780Ti Classified, EK makes waterblocks for said card. I believe there is a nickel/acetal, and a nickel/plexi version for it.

I agree.. the EVGA 780Ti is a great card. It would be my preference also! (That is why I bought three of them!) lol!
Workstation
(16 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
INtel 4770k ASUS maximus extreme VI  EVGA GTX 780Ti SC  EVGA GTX 780Ti SC 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
EVGA GTX 780Ti SC Kingston HyperX Beast 32 GB Kit (4x8 GB) 2400MH... Western Digital 2tb Enterprise Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pawtec External USB 3.0 Aluminum 8X DVD-RW Writ... Primochill ghost fitings Monsoon reservoir Swifttech MCP50x/2  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Primochill rigid acrylic tubing EK supremacy CPU block - Nickel EK 780Ti waterblocks x3 - Nickel Lamptron FC9 fan Controller 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
9x Primochill Acrylic Radiator Grills Alphacool ST30 280 radiator Alphacool ST30 280 radiator Alphacool 420 80mm 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate Dell UW3014 Merc stealth steel series keyboard EVGA NEX1500 PSU 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Lian Li PC-D600 Razer Death Adder Mouse Razer Scarab mousepad Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers with sub 
  hide details  
Reply
Workstation
(16 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
INtel 4770k ASUS maximus extreme VI  EVGA GTX 780Ti SC  EVGA GTX 780Ti SC 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
EVGA GTX 780Ti SC Kingston HyperX Beast 32 GB Kit (4x8 GB) 2400MH... Western Digital 2tb Enterprise Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pawtec External USB 3.0 Aluminum 8X DVD-RW Writ... Primochill ghost fitings Monsoon reservoir Swifttech MCP50x/2  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Primochill rigid acrylic tubing EK supremacy CPU block - Nickel EK 780Ti waterblocks x3 - Nickel Lamptron FC9 fan Controller 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
9x Primochill Acrylic Radiator Grills Alphacool ST30 280 radiator Alphacool ST30 280 radiator Alphacool 420 80mm 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate Dell UW3014 Merc stealth steel series keyboard EVGA NEX1500 PSU 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Lian Li PC-D600 Razer Death Adder Mouse Razer Scarab mousepad Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers with sub 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgipson1 View Post

Nunber one rule.. make sure that there are waterblocks available for the GPU you are thinking about. Many GPU's are non-reference... and the usual waterblock makers may not see enough volume to make it worth their while. I know this seems like common-sense, but I hear stories all the time about how someone bought their dream GPU, and they can't get full blocks for them.

This is EK's Cooling Configurator... where you can check for EK compatibility at least:

http://www.coolingconfigurator.com/step1

It looks like EK has you covered... so some of the other manufacturers probably will to!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinaesthetic View Post

It would be my suggestion to go with the EVGA GTX 780 Ti Classified if your budget can fit it. As you seem to be looking towards a custom loop, then you'll have quite a bit of thermal headroom to play with. And if you enjoy overclocking, the Classified is the winner. Mainly because its the only GTX 780 Ti that isn't fully voltage locked. All other 780Ti models are hardware voltage locked.

As for waterblocks for the 780Ti Classified, EK makes waterblocks for said card. I believe there is a nickel/acetal, and a nickel/plexi version for it.

Yes I would definitely be okay with using the EVGA Classified cards. It's just knowing what all products are necessary to make it happen. I have little to no experience with what all is required. Are there pre-built kits available that I can use for everything, or do I have to select each part individually? Pretend you are trying to coach someone over how to do this - step by step as they would go through the process of buying and building this setup. nerdsmiley.png
post #6 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahomie View Post


Yes I would definitely be okay with using the EVGA Classified cards. It's just knowing what all products are necessary to make it happen. I have little to no experience with what all is required. Are there pre-built kits available that I can use for everything, or do I have to select each part individually? Pretend you are trying to coach someone over how to do this - step by step as they would go through the process of buying and building this setup. nerdsmiley.png

The basics:

You will need radiator(s), a reservoir, a pump, tubing, and waterblocks for each of the devices you want to cool (usually CPU and GPU, although you can also cool your chipsets and ram if you feel like you need to. I usually don't bother).

You will need a case that is either built for water cooling, or the skills and desire to make the case you want work with whatever watercooling you decide to go with.

really basic loop design:



Your loop doesn't have to be in that order... and can have more or less components....depending on need.
Workstation
(16 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
INtel 4770k ASUS maximus extreme VI  EVGA GTX 780Ti SC  EVGA GTX 780Ti SC 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
EVGA GTX 780Ti SC Kingston HyperX Beast 32 GB Kit (4x8 GB) 2400MH... Western Digital 2tb Enterprise Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pawtec External USB 3.0 Aluminum 8X DVD-RW Writ... Primochill ghost fitings Monsoon reservoir Swifttech MCP50x/2  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Primochill rigid acrylic tubing EK supremacy CPU block - Nickel EK 780Ti waterblocks x3 - Nickel Lamptron FC9 fan Controller 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
9x Primochill Acrylic Radiator Grills Alphacool ST30 280 radiator Alphacool ST30 280 radiator Alphacool 420 80mm 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate Dell UW3014 Merc stealth steel series keyboard EVGA NEX1500 PSU 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Lian Li PC-D600 Razer Death Adder Mouse Razer Scarab mousepad Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers with sub 
  hide details  
Reply
Workstation
(16 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
INtel 4770k ASUS maximus extreme VI  EVGA GTX 780Ti SC  EVGA GTX 780Ti SC 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
EVGA GTX 780Ti SC Kingston HyperX Beast 32 GB Kit (4x8 GB) 2400MH... Western Digital 2tb Enterprise Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pawtec External USB 3.0 Aluminum 8X DVD-RW Writ... Primochill ghost fitings Monsoon reservoir Swifttech MCP50x/2  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Primochill rigid acrylic tubing EK supremacy CPU block - Nickel EK 780Ti waterblocks x3 - Nickel Lamptron FC9 fan Controller 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
9x Primochill Acrylic Radiator Grills Alphacool ST30 280 radiator Alphacool ST30 280 radiator Alphacool 420 80mm 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate Dell UW3014 Merc stealth steel series keyboard EVGA NEX1500 PSU 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Lian Li PC-D600 Razer Death Adder Mouse Razer Scarab mousepad Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers with sub 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahomie View Post


Yes I would definitely be okay with using the EVGA Classified cards. It's just knowing what all products are necessary to make it happen. I have little to no experience with what all is required. Are there pre-built kits available that I can use for everything, or do I have to select each part individually? Pretend you are trying to coach someone over how to do this - step by step as they would go through the process of buying and building this setup. nerdsmiley.png

Having just built my first ever water cooling setup, I recommend going with a complete water cooling kit like the XSPC AX360 Extreme. You can find it on frozencpu.com and performance-pcs.com.
The kit is complete so you don't need to order anything extra as everything is included. The GPU water block must be ordered separately, of course, as well as coolant which can be distiled water or .... a coolant.
Having a case that supports the installation of radiators is also optimal although they can be mounted outside as well.
Other than that, just plan ahead on how you are going to run the tubing as it's important to have a good idea ahead of time.
And if you are cooling 3 GPU and a CPU, you need at least 2 x 360mm radiators, but maybe someone else can chime in on how much radiator horsepower you would need.
The installation itself is pretty easy and there are many youtube videos that you can watch first to get a "visual" idea.
post #8 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgipson1 View Post

The basics:

You will need radiator(s), a reservoir, a pump, tubing, and waterblocks for each of the devices you want to cool (usually CPU and GPU, although you can also cool your chipsets and ram if you feel like you need to. I usually don't bother).

You will need a case that is either built for water cooling, or the skills and desire to make the case you want work with whatever watercooling you decide to go with.

really basic loop design:



Your loop doesn't have to be in that order... and can have more or less components....depending on need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopard2lx View Post

Having just built my first ever water cooling setup, I recommend going with a complete water cooling kit like the XSPC AX360 Extreme. You can find it on frozencpu.com and performance-pcs.com.
The kit is complete so you don't need to order anything extra as everything is included. The GPU water block must be ordered separately, of course, as well as coolant which can be distiled water or .... a coolant.
Having a case that supports the installation of radiators is also optimal although they can be mounted outside as well.
Other than that, just plan ahead on how you are going to run the tubing as it's important to have a good idea ahead of time.
And if you are cooling 3 GPU and a CPU, you need at least 2 x 360mm radiators, but maybe someone else can chime in on how much radiator horsepower you would need.
The installation itself is pretty easy and there are many youtube videos that you can watch first to get a "visual" idea.

Okay so I'm going to need radiator(s), a reservoir, a pump, tubing, and waterblocks for each of the devices that I want to cool. That is a good starting point thumb.gif

@Leapord - that kit looks good to me. So it has all that I would need - minus the GPU water blocks? I wouldn't need to purchase any additional items? Like, is there a specific component that interconnects the tubing between the GPUs?

If I used that exclusively for my GPUs, I could still utilize the Corsair H110 for my CPU if that would even be necessary?
Edited by Oklahomie - 3/3/14 at 8:23pm
post #9 of 30
Thread Starter 
Okay, so I might need, if someone is up for it, would be a list of products that I would need to purchase, and maybe a high level overview of the installation process, or a good video to reference. I know the XSPC Copper Raystorm AX360 Extreme was mentioned... I would need that and water blocks and that is it? Would I not need ANYTHING else? Like I've previously said, I'm new/uncomfortable, but definitely willing to venture into this GPU water cooling business, I just wanna make sure that all of my ducks are in a row here smile.gif .


Random Helpful Information:

Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T / ATX Full




Motherboard:

Either the ASUS Sabertooth X79

Or the ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition
post #10 of 30
Start here: http://www.overclock.net/t/766479/watercooling-guide-for-beginner

Then check out the rest:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/a-beginners-guide-for-watercooling-your-pc,1573.html

http://koolance.com/how-to-build-a-water-cooled-pc

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/277130-29-read-first-watercooling-sticky#t1992115

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/the-watercooling-guide-from-a-to-z.180876/

How about some videos... if you don't like read?:

Lots more out there....

Glad to help, but you need to study a bit... get the basics....figure out a budget .. decide what you want to cool, and how..... and go for it. There are people here with a lot more experience in watercooling than I have... hopefully they will stop by...
Edited by cgipson1 - 3/4/14 at 7:19pm
Workstation
(16 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
INtel 4770k ASUS maximus extreme VI  EVGA GTX 780Ti SC  EVGA GTX 780Ti SC 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
EVGA GTX 780Ti SC Kingston HyperX Beast 32 GB Kit (4x8 GB) 2400MH... Western Digital 2tb Enterprise Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pawtec External USB 3.0 Aluminum 8X DVD-RW Writ... Primochill ghost fitings Monsoon reservoir Swifttech MCP50x/2  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Primochill rigid acrylic tubing EK supremacy CPU block - Nickel EK 780Ti waterblocks x3 - Nickel Lamptron FC9 fan Controller 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
9x Primochill Acrylic Radiator Grills Alphacool ST30 280 radiator Alphacool ST30 280 radiator Alphacool 420 80mm 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate Dell UW3014 Merc stealth steel series keyboard EVGA NEX1500 PSU 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Lian Li PC-D600 Razer Death Adder Mouse Razer Scarab mousepad Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers with sub 
  hide details  
Reply
Workstation
(16 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
INtel 4770k ASUS maximus extreme VI  EVGA GTX 780Ti SC  EVGA GTX 780Ti SC 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
EVGA GTX 780Ti SC Kingston HyperX Beast 32 GB Kit (4x8 GB) 2400MH... Western Digital 2tb Enterprise Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pawtec External USB 3.0 Aluminum 8X DVD-RW Writ... Primochill ghost fitings Monsoon reservoir Swifttech MCP50x/2  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Primochill rigid acrylic tubing EK supremacy CPU block - Nickel EK 780Ti waterblocks x3 - Nickel Lamptron FC9 fan Controller 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
9x Primochill Acrylic Radiator Grills Alphacool ST30 280 radiator Alphacool ST30 280 radiator Alphacool 420 80mm 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate Dell UW3014 Merc stealth steel series keyboard EVGA NEX1500 PSU 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Lian Li PC-D600 Razer Death Adder Mouse Razer Scarab mousepad Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers with sub 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › NVIDIA Cooling › Noob Needs Help - Triple GTX 780 TI Water Cooling