Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › Speakers for Topping TP30
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Speakers for Topping TP30 - Page 2

post #11 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGroove View Post

I'd wait for the pioneer bookshelves to go on sale again, those are much better than most of these budget options like the Daytons.

BS21's are $62 on amazon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGroove View Post

I'd wait for the pioneer bookshelves to go on sale again, those are much better than most of these budget options like the Daytons.

BS21's are $62 on amazon

Are you currently using them? Being in Canada, buying anything from the States is usually much more expensive.

I would be lucky if they went on sale in Canada. I just checked Amazon.ca pricing for the BS21's and the cheapest I can find them is $100 + $67 shipping.... I can't win.
post #12 of 22
hi...


so personally i think this newer Topping VX1 should be better than the TP30 in about every way ...

http://www.amazon.ca/TOPPING-VX1-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B00FGOT18C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394042078&sr=8-1&keywords=topping+vx1

looked like about $20~ canandian more on amazon ... probably well worth it.


of the speakers you have listed I'd get the Monitor 30's (i own a pair of these) they are nice little speakers for the money... I'm not actually using mine right now as I LOVE vintage audio and so i have managed to run across some rather nice deals on used gear (at the moment I am listening to a pair of Monitor Audio Silver S1 speakers I have... found them for $11.25 biggrin.gif.. did have to work on cleaning them up however look pretty good now).


looking at Amazon canada the Pioneers suggested are pretty far over your stated budget... the pioneers are nice... but upto you if they are worth $150~ CAD


one thing about the Dayton's those developed quite a reputation for good sound for tiny money, and then last year sometime Dayton changed suppliers and the new ones are significantly reduced in quality so i'd steer clear.
post #13 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by atarione View Post

hi...


so personally i think this newer Topping VX1 should be better than the TP30 in about every way ...

http://www.amazon.ca/TOPPING-VX1-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B00FGOT18C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394042078&sr=8-1&keywords=topping+vx1

looked like about $20~ canandian more on amazon ... probably well worth it.


of the speakers you have listed I'd get the Monitor 30's (i own a pair of these) they are nice little speakers for the money... I'm not actually using mine right now as I LOVE vintage audio and so i have managed to run across some rather nice deals on used gear (at the moment I am listening to a pair of Monitor Audio Silver S1 speakers I have... found them for $11.25 biggrin.gif.. did have to work on cleaning them up however look pretty good now).


looking at Amazon canada the Pioneers suggested are pretty far over your stated budget... the pioneers are nice... but upto you if they are worth $150~ CAD


one thing about the Dayton's those developed quite a reputation for good sound for tiny money, and then last year sometime Dayton changed suppliers and the new ones are significantly reduced in quality so i'd steer clear.

I am definitely going to look into the VX1. I just skimmed through it last night while I was tired and didn't really think anything of it, but it definitely seems like it's worth the extra couple bucks.

The monitor 30's I figured were a decent speaker. Considering I can pick them up for $70 locally, it can't be a bad buy, but am still open to further suggestions before I make my mind up either tonight or tomorrow.
post #14 of 22
hi.. kewl.. I like everything about the vx1 (including looks...lol) better i think it would be quite good for you purpose.


since you are looking at used (apparently) have you checked (and excuse my ignorance of teh great white north) but CL (or whatever similar you've got up there) for other used hifi speakers


I have found some really great speakers for very little money here (SoCal)

some examples of my favorites

$40 JBL L1s (i love these speakers they are very very good)
$50 Klispch KG2.5 $50 (rather big~ish for bookshelf speakers) mine are in excellent shape made in USA just super for what I paid (have them hooked up to my HT
$20 B&W DM302 (these are really good very musical and fairly small (probably a bit smaller than the 30s) front ported so can be placed near wall)
$50 NHT SuperZero's (older version made in USA)


I would think being in canada you might well be able to find some Paradigm's or PSB's at decent prices used maybe with some looking about?

might want to look here?

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/
post #15 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by atarione View Post

hi.. kewl.. I like everything about the vx1 (including looks...lol) better i think it would be quite good for you purpose.


since you are looking at used (apparently) have you checked (and excuse my ignorance of teh great white north) but CL (or whatever similar you've got up there) for other used hifi speakers


I have found some really great speakers for very little money here (SoCal)

some examples of my favorites

$40 JBL L1s (i love these speakers they are very very good)
$50 Klispch KG2.5 $50 (rather big~ish for bookshelf speakers) mine are in excellent shape made in USA just super for what I paid (have them hooked up to my HT
$20 B&W DM302 (these are really good very musical and fairly small (probably a bit smaller than the 30s) front ported so can be placed near wall)
$50 NHT SuperZero's (older version made in USA)


I would think being in canada you might well be able to find some Paradigm's or PSB's at decent prices used maybe with some looking about?

might want to look here?

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/

Hehe. Just went through Canuck Audio Mart last night for a couple hours. Some nice stuff, but mostly expensive for my taste. $150+ for paradigm and B&W stuff. I'll take a look again though now that I have some insight into what is decent for the money.
post #16 of 22
Thread Starter 
post #17 of 22
hi..

so definitely pass on the Polk R-150's basically a step down from the Monitor 30s in every way


the SuperZero XU seem over priced to me

Axiom AX-2 (big... 8" woofer..so make note .. but more importantly i think that ad may well be for a single speaker and not a pair?) if it is a pair and you have room and u can live with the corner dings those might be kinda kewl... but i really think they are selling a single looking at the add.

Mission Model 70 MK II... i like these ones. (how much is shipping?) I would definitely consider those


Pioneer (little suspect of that listing if it was me i'd probably just order those from Amazon for a bit more money if I went that route)

B&W ZMF2003 I like these a lot ... I have had a few B&W books shelf speakers and I have really like them all (honestly I slightly regret the two pairs I have sold ... but I sold them to buddies that had nothing decent so i was mostly trying to help them out get some decent audio so it is fine. But I am a big fan of English Bookshelf speakers..good stuff (imho)

Cambridge S20.... these only have 4" woofers .. might be a bit lacking on the low end might need a sub with them ...too bad they are not the S30's that have some of the best bass for a speaker of their size i have personally ever heard.



i think the best (or my favorites of that are the mission's and the B&W's ... but as i did admit I am rather partial to English bookshelf speakers.
post #18 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by atarione View Post

hi..

so definitely pass on the Polk R-150's basically a step down from the Monitor 30s in every way


the SuperZero XU seem over priced to me

Axiom AX-2 (big... 8" woofer..so make note .. but more importantly i think that ad may well be for a single speaker and not a pair?) if it is a pair and you have room and u can live with the corner dings those might be kinda kewl... but i really think they are selling a single looking at the add.

Mission Model 70 MK II... i like these ones. (how much is shipping?) I would definitely consider those


Pioneer (little suspect of that listing if it was me i'd probably just order those from Amazon for a bit more money if I went that route)

B&W ZMF2003 I like these a lot ... I have had a few B&W books shelf speakers and I have really like them all (honestly I slightly regret the two pairs I have sold ... but I sold them to buddies that had nothing decent so i was mostly trying to help them out get some decent audio so it is fine. But I am a big fan of English Bookshelf speakers..good stuff (imho)

Cambridge S20.... these only have 4" woofers .. might be a bit lacking on the low end might need a sub with them ...too bad they are not the S30's that have some of the best bass for a speaker of their size i have personally ever heard.



i think the best (or my favorites of that are the mission's and the B&W's ... but as i did admit I am rather partial to English bookshelf speakers.

I really want to keep the price around $100. The Missions are in my province, so shipping shouldn't be more than $15. I can probably negotiate to have shipping included.

If you had to choose between the Polk Audio Monitor 30 for $70 or the Missions 70 for $90-$100, which one would you choose? Based on quality, not nastalgia. biggrin.gif
post #19 of 22
hello again....

nostalgia aside... Assume everything is kosher with the missions (tweeters work / surrounds are intact.. whatnot) I would personally take the Mission's


The Polks are not bad, Polk has never gotten much respect from the audiophile crowd but they have always offered good value for money (and good SQ for mass market type speakers)

To me the mission's are going to offer better sound quality between the two.

on the upside I could live with either (I did live with monitor 30's as my pc speakers for a year ...not bad at all.)
post #20 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by atarione View Post

hello again....

nostalgia aside... Assume everything is kosher with the missions (tweeters work / surrounds are intact.. whatnot) I would personally take the Mission's


The Polks are not bad, Polk has never gotten much respect from the audiophile crowd but they have always offered good value for money (and good SQ for mass market type speakers)

To me the mission's are going to offer better sound quality between the two.

on the upside I could live with either (I did live with monitor 30's as my pc speakers for a year ...not bad at all.)

Alright. I'll see what I can do. There is also another set of Missions 70 MKII that are fairly close to me. He's asking $100, but the speakers are in good condition with perfect foam surround.

My only concern is whether or not I can get over it's outdated design, surround foam and brown wood cabinets. smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Cards and Computer Audio
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › Speakers for Topping TP30