Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [hardocp] BF4 AMD Mantle Video Card Performance Review Part 1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[hardocp] BF4 AMD Mantle Video Card Performance Review Part 1 - Page 5

post #41 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesthethc View Post

Ah..... maybe.

Up to 30% sounds a lot safer for AMD to claim. rolleyes.gif


Not every system sees the same improvement. Lower end machines see up to 45% improvement.

Not sure what you guys are going on about. It is simple to understand.
Intel Killer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 8320 4.4ghz Gigabyte 990fx XFX R9 290 (1100/1250) 8GB DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
750GB Momentus XT Corsair H80i Windows 8 3x 23" 1080p 
KeyboardPower
Logitech Mk 710 OCZ 1000 watts 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel Killer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 8320 4.4ghz Gigabyte 990fx XFX R9 290 (1100/1250) 8GB DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
750GB Momentus XT Corsair H80i Windows 8 3x 23" 1080p 
KeyboardPower
Logitech Mk 710 OCZ 1000 watts 
  hide details  
Reply
post #42 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencher View Post

Not every system sees the same improvement. Lower end machines see up to 45% improvement.

Not sure what you guys are going on about. It is simple to understand.

Lower end machines seem to benefit more from Mantle. But this is OCN, so lots of high-end hardware used by lots of people in the community.

Basically what im trying to get here is; the performance is great for lower end; but not as "good" as people expected on the flagship cards. Would i love to see 30% gains on an AMD card? Heck yes i would. That would only mean it will push competition and force NVidia to pull something out of its rear end to compete with it.

I wish AMD had some good gains on Mantle, then we'd probably start to see more gain on NVidia side. Unfortunately NVidia is busy milking the market and only releasing hardware "enough" to compete with AMD.
post #43 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesthethc View Post

Lower end machines seem to benefit more from Mantle. But this is OCN, so lots of high-end hardware used by lots of people in the community.

Basically what im trying to get here is; the performance is great for lower end; but not as "good" as people expected on the flagship cards. Would i love to see 30% gains on an AMD card? Heck yes i would. That would only mean it will push competition and force NVidia to pull something out of its rear end to compete with it.

I wish AMD had some good gains on Mantle, then we'd probably start to see more gain on NVidia side. Unfortunately NVidia is busy milking the market and only releasing hardware "enough" to compete with AMD.

Ocn where I see alot of i3 and i5.
Perfect market for Mantle.

Not to mention the phenom x4 abs apu users.
Intel Killer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 8320 4.4ghz Gigabyte 990fx XFX R9 290 (1100/1250) 8GB DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
750GB Momentus XT Corsair H80i Windows 8 3x 23" 1080p 
KeyboardPower
Logitech Mk 710 OCZ 1000 watts 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel Killer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 8320 4.4ghz Gigabyte 990fx XFX R9 290 (1100/1250) 8GB DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
750GB Momentus XT Corsair H80i Windows 8 3x 23" 1080p 
KeyboardPower
Logitech Mk 710 OCZ 1000 watts 
  hide details  
Reply
post #44 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencher View Post

Ocn where I see alot of i3 and i5.
Perfect market for Mantle.

Not to mention the phenom x4 abs apu users.

Not to mention the majority of the market is not ocn.
post #45 of 149
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mltms View Post

yeah alatar way they use older driver 14.1 for single card !!! Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

this is way this review is crap
they dont want to bottleneck nvidia cards

The drivers were released while they were doing their testing and the testing wasn't updated for all cards since:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardocp 
During the course of testing and data collection, Catalyst 14.2 Beta driver was released by AMD. The driver primarily addressed bug fixes as well as fixed CrossFire running in Mantle. No other performance enhancements were made, thus for single cards, the 14.1 Beta driver we started evaluating with will provide the same performance as the 14.2 Beta driver.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/03/04/bf4_amd_mantle_video_card_performance_review_part_1/2#.UxguMfl_s2I
 
Benching
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[i7 5960X @ 4.8GHz] [Rampage V Extreme] [Titan 1400MHz (1500MHz bench)] [Various] 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
[250GB 840EVO +2x SpinpointF3 1TB RAID0] [LD PC-V2 SS Phase Change] [XSPC X2O 750 pump/res] [Monsta 360 full copper + EK XT 360 + XT 240] 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
[Crossover 27Q LED-P 1440p+ASUS 1200p+LG 1080p] [Corsair AX1200] [Dimastech Easy v3.0] [Sennheiser HD558s] 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
FX 8320, FX 8350, Phenom II x2 555BE i7 3930K, i7 860, i7 4770K, 68x Celeron D CVF, commando, 2x RIVE, Z87X-OC Asus 4870x2, Sapphire 4870 
GraphicsGraphicsGraphicsGraphics
2x 5870, 5850, 5830, 5770 2x 3870x2, 3870 GTX Titan, GTX 480, GTX 590 GTX 285, GTX 260, 4x 9800GT, 8800GTX 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
4x4GB vengeance, 2x4GB predatorX, 2x1GB OCZ DDR2 Intel X25-M 80GB LD PC-V2 SS Phase Change OCN Marksman 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
2x old tek slims (GPU) Various watercooling stuff win7, winxp AX1200 
Case
test bench / cardboard box 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Benching
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[i7 5960X @ 4.8GHz] [Rampage V Extreme] [Titan 1400MHz (1500MHz bench)] [Various] 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
[250GB 840EVO +2x SpinpointF3 1TB RAID0] [LD PC-V2 SS Phase Change] [XSPC X2O 750 pump/res] [Monsta 360 full copper + EK XT 360 + XT 240] 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
[Crossover 27Q LED-P 1440p+ASUS 1200p+LG 1080p] [Corsair AX1200] [Dimastech Easy v3.0] [Sennheiser HD558s] 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
FX 8320, FX 8350, Phenom II x2 555BE i7 3930K, i7 860, i7 4770K, 68x Celeron D CVF, commando, 2x RIVE, Z87X-OC Asus 4870x2, Sapphire 4870 
GraphicsGraphicsGraphicsGraphics
2x 5870, 5850, 5830, 5770 2x 3870x2, 3870 GTX Titan, GTX 480, GTX 590 GTX 285, GTX 260, 4x 9800GT, 8800GTX 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
4x4GB vengeance, 2x4GB predatorX, 2x1GB OCZ DDR2 Intel X25-M 80GB LD PC-V2 SS Phase Change OCN Marksman 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
2x old tek slims (GPU) Various watercooling stuff win7, winxp AX1200 
Case
test bench / cardboard box 
  hide details  
Reply
post #46 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesthethc View Post

Ah..... maybe.

Up to 30% sounds a lot safer for AMD to claim. rolleyes.gif
Lets start with marketing. If you have a range of 5-35%, which do you release as a statement for gains? Do you really think people will flock to 5% more than 35%? And as said, the words UP TO are very important in the release statement, yet seems the naysayers love to leave that part out.

On the note of choice for the graphs posted this was the argument: Why put the single GPU graphs up rather than the SLI/CF graphs? It was garnered the reason was because the SLI was not nearly as formidable as CF Mantle than it was in single card use. Being the Ops apparent fondness to the blue/green side it was a given to why the single card graph was used.

But really the take away here is that Mantle works and even though they kind of skewed the argument with a 4.6Ghz Intel. I would have liked to see how they would have faired using the same chip at 3.0Ghz or maybe have a few different chips including a FX 8350 and A10-7850K.
post #47 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcg75 View Post

Exactly.

Both pics are equally valid. But Alatar's pic, as he logically stated, is going to apply to the vast majority of users as the majority uses single card setups.

[H] is showing that a single 290x paired with a 3770k oc'd to 4.6 ghz will still gain 10% fps all because of Mantle.

That is impressive.

Thats not the point. There are multiple graphs that show AMD ahead, and alatar chooses the one where Nvidia looks better. Usually people post multiple graphs in the OP, as it paints the full picture. As a moderator you should know roughly how many people just look at the OP and comment and never check the source. Since he is the OP, he can cherry pick the TLDR graphs and quotes, and if th3illusiveman didnt get post #2, I assure you many people would walk away thinking this benchmark shows that even with mantle AMD cannot compete, which is not true.

This problem exists because of bias, and alatar is known for his bias against AMD. Any AMD news thread you go into that has alatar posting is almost certain to have him showing his bias. This occurs with other users too, and I dont feel like the first person that finds an article should have the power manipulate the views of the article. OCN should really have the first or second post be an openly edited post (like slickdeals), or have a moderator designated to screen through articles and make sure the OP isnt posting select images/text that misrepresent the articles findings.
post #48 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by s-x View Post

Thats not the point. There are multiple graphs that show AMD ahead, and alatar chooses the one where Nvidia looks better. Usually people post multiple graphs in the OP, as it paints the full picture. As a moderator you should know roughly how many people just look at the OP and comment and never check the source. Since he is the OP, he can cherry pick the TLDR graphs and quotes, and if th3illusiveman didnt get post #2, I assure you many people would walk away thinking this benchmark shows that even with mantle AMD cannot compete, which is not true.

This problem exists because of bias, and alatar is known for his bias against AMD. Any AMD news thread you go into that has alatar posting is almost certain to have him showing his bias. This occurs with other users too, and I dont feel like the first person that finds an article should have the power manipulate the views of the article. OCN should really have the first or second post be an openly edited post (like slickdeals), or have a moderator designated to screen through articles and make sure the OP isnt posting select images/text that misrepresent the articles findings.
Agreed and good idea. Although here having the second or third poster able to change Op will become war. lol I don't see that going well here.
post #49 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by s-x View Post


Thats not the point. There are multiple graphs that show AMD ahead, and alatar chooses the one where Nvidia looks better. Usually people post multiple graphs in the OP, as it paints the full picture. As a moderator you should know roughly how many people just look at the OP and comment and never check the source. Since he is the OP, he can cherry pick the TLDR graphs and quotes, and if th3illusiveman didnt get post #2, I assure you many people would walk away thinking this benchmark shows that even with mantle AMD cannot compete, which is not true.

This problem exists because of bias, and alatar is known for his bias against AMD. Any AMD news thread you go into that has alatar posting is almost certain to have him showing his bias. This occurs with other users too, and I dont feel like the first person that finds an article should have the power manipulate the views of the article. OCN should really have the first or second post be an openly edited post (like slickdeals), or have a moderator designated to screen through articles and make sure the OP isnt posting select images/text that misrepresent the articles findings.

 

Considering the users in this thread, that would be a terrible idea. There are some REALLY Bull-headed people in this thread in regards to their brand loyalty to companies who give less than two jacks about them other than their money. It is really stupid that it even happens to begin with.

post #50 of 149
Why no minimum fps...
Workstation
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsMonitor
Xeon E5-2690 Supermicro 2011 Nvidia GP100/ Vega FE Dell ultrasharp 4k 
  hide details  
Reply
Workstation
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsMonitor
Xeon E5-2690 Supermicro 2011 Nvidia GP100/ Vega FE Dell ultrasharp 4k 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [hardocp] BF4 AMD Mantle Video Card Performance Review Part 1