Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Forbes] 'Titanfall' Will Have A Season Pass, Paid And Free DLC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Forbes] 'Titanfall' Will Have A Season Pass, Paid And Free DLC - Page 24

post #231 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post

I very much disagree.

The market itself, has changed so much and is so much younger, I don't think mods/expansions will be streamlined anymore.

Most of you sit here and banter about expansions and how much you want them back...Then the discussion becomes what's the difference between an expansion and a DLC? ...

I hear this from developers all the time...YOU, the gaming community, ALL OF YOU, have said NO to expansions and YES to DLC's. -- The community at large spoke with their wallets.

Why would you make an expansion for a first person shooter? Why? What will it include? More mechs? More maps? 12 at once with no new maps dropped for a year? Why do I want that?

You have a community now that wants instant gratification. They want those 2 maps, now. That extra mech, now. - They don't want to wait for an "expansion".

Look at Call of Duty, BF3/4...The market has molded a younger generation into DLC's and NOT expansions...Quite frankly, we have ourselves to blame for paying for expansions hand over fist.

I'm guilty of it. I paid for BF4 premium...Worst gaming expenditure I've ever made...I still paid for it...Still get those maps.

What's interesting is that you all at large, contradict yourselves, often -- Which is what's confusing to developers.

You take a game like Bioshock Infinite and all of you say "Those were DAMNED good DLC's man"...Well, if they had waited to launch them 6-8 months later, all 3 of them; that would've been an expansion...Would you have rather waited for all 3? Or bought them individually as they came out?

The same goes for BF4. Do you want those new maps now? Because they've finished them, now? Or do you want to wait 6 months to play that content?

You also have to look at this as a statistic...When are MORE people playing the game? When new content is released. It's a influx of people...

Either you as a community need to STOP buying DLC's or, stop complaining about it and just deal with it because we've created this market by enabling them...

I used to be big on Expansions, willing to wait a year or more; think Hellfire and Lord of Destruction. The reason for this is teams were a little smaller, they didn't have the man power to develop the Expansions in full alongside the core game itself.

That stance has been changing, actually over the last couple of days. I have been looking at developers choices, from both a consumer point as well as a business point. I have come to the following...

As a consumer I do prefer the episodic releases, like TellTaleGames did with The Walking Dead, little bits to consume every couple of months. It sates that "Need a new game" fix, and allows the developer to focus on smaller portions at a time, increasing quality.

As a business, I can see the appeal in smaller bits for the very reason listed above. By being allowed to focus on these smaller DLC/Expansions, the quailty can be more closely monitored. Instead of having to worry about getting out 12 maps and new vehicles, and new classes/loadouts, you can focus on just a few smaller bits.

I think what we call "DLC" is just the natural evolution of Expansions, it was bound to happen, and maybe some of us older games didn't see it coming for some reason. I will always keep my stance on Day 1 DLC that isn't cosmetic upgrades; they are entirely wrong and shouldn't be allowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mand12 View Post

Isn't "on-disc DLC" a contradiction in terms?

Eh, "DLC" has become the standard label for anything that adds content to the game, regardless of how you get it, that isn't a full blown Expansion.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5820K AsRock Extreme6 X99 Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti Windforce OC 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD Speed Edtition Samsung SM951 512 GB - I still hate Samsung!  Noctua NHD14 Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite Overlord Computer Tempest X27OC  Acer Predator XB270HU Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-1250 Fractal Design R5 Razer Naga Razer Goliathus Alpha 
AudioAudio
AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Creative Sound Blaster Zx 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5820K AsRock Extreme6 X99 Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti Windforce OC 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD Speed Edtition Samsung SM951 512 GB - I still hate Samsung!  Noctua NHD14 Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite Overlord Computer Tempest X27OC  Acer Predator XB270HU Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-1250 Fractal Design R5 Razer Naga Razer Goliathus Alpha 
AudioAudio
AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Creative Sound Blaster Zx 
  hide details  
Reply
post #232 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post

I very much disagree.

The market itself, has changed so much and is so much younger, I don't think mods/expansions will be streamlined anymore.

Most of you sit here and banter about expansions and how much you want them back...Then the discussion becomes what's the difference between an expansion and a DLC? ...

I hear this from developers all the time...YOU, the gaming community, ALL OF YOU, have said NO to expansions and YES to DLC's. -- The community at large spoke with their wallets.

Why would you make an expansion for a first person shooter? Why? What will it include? More mechs? More maps? 12 at once with no new maps dropped for a year? Why do I want that?

You have a community now that wants instant gratification. They want those 2 maps, now. That extra mech, now. - They don't want to wait for an "expansion".

Look at Call of Duty, BF3/4...The market has molded a younger generation into DLC's and NOT expansions...Quite frankly, we have ourselves to blame for paying for expansions hand over fist.

I'm guilty of it. I paid for BF4 premium...Worst gaming expenditure I've ever made...I still paid for it...Still get those maps.

What's interesting is that you all at large, contradict yourselves, often -- Which is what's confusing to developers.

You take a game like Bioshock Infinite and all of you say "Those were DAMNED good DLC's man"...Well, if they had waited to launch them 6-8 months later, all 3 of them; that would've been an expansion...Would you have rather waited for all 3? Or bought them individually as they came out?

The same goes for BF4. Do you want those new maps now? Because they've finished them, now? Or do you want to wait 6 months to play that content?

You also have to look at this as a statistic...When are MORE people playing the game? When new content is released. It's a influx of people...

Either you as a community need to STOP buying DLC's or, stop complaining about it and just deal with it because we've created this market by enabling them...

I feel like you missed the entire point I was making and went off on a tangent attacking a demographic I'm not even part of, but ok buddy, im sure you're right.
Arcane
(33 items)
 
Sanctum
(9 items)
 
Fukurou
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7 980x GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MSI GeForce GTX 680 Lightning 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX T1 Intel X25-M WD Caviar Black FASS Plextor M5S 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
WD Velociraptor WD Caviar Black FALS Sony DVD Burner w/ Lightscribe LG Bluray + HDDVD 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Black Ice GTX 360 Black Ice GTX 240 Panaflo High Speed - Push-Pull w/ shrouds Windows 7 Pro (64) 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Ubuntu (64) X-Star DP2710 ASUS VK266H Black 25.5" 2ms LCD X-Armor U9BL (Mech) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA 1000 P2 Cooler Master HAF 932 Razer Deathadder Chroma Cougar Control 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
ATH-A900X Maudio AV-40 Polk PSW-10 Zalman Mic-1 (Clip-on Mic) 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Sound Blaster X7 LE Logitech G13 Wacom Intuos 3 Scythe "3-Foot Switch" 
Other
Modded PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, and Logitech PC Cont... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 MSI B350M Mortar Arctic RX Vega 64 G.Skill TridentZ  
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
Samsung EVO 960 Consatellation Windows 10 Pro Corsair HX 1050 
Case
Raijintek Aeneas White Window 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Core i5-661 GA-H55-USB3 12GB DDR3 1333 WD Caviar Black AALS 640GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Green EARS 2TB Vertex Turbo 60GB (SSD) Samsung Blu-ray, Samsung DVD Burner H50 (With push/pull nocturas) 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Professional 64 LG 47inch LED LCD Saitek Eclipse Lite-touch Wireless Seasonic X750 Gold 
CaseAudio
CM690 II Passive bookshelfspeakers + amp. 
  hide details  
Reply
Arcane
(33 items)
 
Sanctum
(9 items)
 
Fukurou
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7 980x GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MSI GeForce GTX 680 Lightning 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX T1 Intel X25-M WD Caviar Black FASS Plextor M5S 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
WD Velociraptor WD Caviar Black FALS Sony DVD Burner w/ Lightscribe LG Bluray + HDDVD 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Black Ice GTX 360 Black Ice GTX 240 Panaflo High Speed - Push-Pull w/ shrouds Windows 7 Pro (64) 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Ubuntu (64) X-Star DP2710 ASUS VK266H Black 25.5" 2ms LCD X-Armor U9BL (Mech) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA 1000 P2 Cooler Master HAF 932 Razer Deathadder Chroma Cougar Control 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
ATH-A900X Maudio AV-40 Polk PSW-10 Zalman Mic-1 (Clip-on Mic) 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Sound Blaster X7 LE Logitech G13 Wacom Intuos 3 Scythe "3-Foot Switch" 
Other
Modded PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, and Logitech PC Cont... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 MSI B350M Mortar Arctic RX Vega 64 G.Skill TridentZ  
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
Samsung EVO 960 Consatellation Windows 10 Pro Corsair HX 1050 
Case
Raijintek Aeneas White Window 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Core i5-661 GA-H55-USB3 12GB DDR3 1333 WD Caviar Black AALS 640GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Green EARS 2TB Vertex Turbo 60GB (SSD) Samsung Blu-ray, Samsung DVD Burner H50 (With push/pull nocturas) 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Professional 64 LG 47inch LED LCD Saitek Eclipse Lite-touch Wireless Seasonic X750 Gold 
CaseAudio
CM690 II Passive bookshelfspeakers + amp. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #233 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero4549 View Post

I feel like you missed the entire point I was making and went off on a tangent attacking a demographic I'm not even part of, but ok buddy, im sure you're right.

Actually, I addressed your point head on.

I've been in this industry for a decade. For that decade, I've been beta testing games, in one way or another...So we regularly have meetings, especially with the games I choose to support above/beyond a consultant and it's with those projects that in depth discussions with developers occur.

In the past decade, there has been a dramatic drop in regards to expansions. Why?

The answer is simple: We as gamers told them we'd rather have DLC's. How did we do that? With our wallets.

Gamers as a WHOLE, paid for DLC content in waves and essentially pushed expansions aside...There's more than enough evidence to support that as a factual statement.

Gamers as a WHOLE, no longer really want expansions...They want immediate content, when it's finished in order to continue their immersion.

Above and beyond that, the shooting genre doesn't do expansions. The last true expansion we saw in the FPS genre was maybe FEAR 2 Reborn...IF you even count that as being an expansion.

You mention Mods...Mods are just like expansions...The market responded incredibly poorly to them...Look at IDtech5 and IDtech3, the market just responded extremely poorly to OS modding. Maybe they'd rather play minecraft? I couldn't tell you but, Skyrim is maybe 10% of the market. 1% of that 10% actually made the mods...That's not enough...

The truth is when you lose mods, you lose nothing...Especially in the mainstream market because people aren't interested in modding those types of games anymore. They have CSS, they have Minecraft, they have NW and NW2...There are so many OTHER options available...so why bother?

You can even buy your own game engine now...Source is openly available...Why bother making a mod when you can make a game your way, for the same price?

IoQuake3, in MY eyes was really the death of FPS mods...Skyrim was never really true modding, it was modifying existing source code...Which is great but, which definition of modding are you sticking by? Real oldschool modding or fluff modding? Because IMO, both modders are better off using the engines and making their own projects than modifying existing games especially when there's very little profit involved for the studio...

So regardless of if you choose to accept my explanation or not, it was there...and is here, in depth. thumb.gif
post #234 of 339
Just paid $35 for the game. Preloading now.
Starr Status
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1700X @ 3.9ghz Gigabyte Aorus X370 K7 MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G G.Skill TridentZ RBG 3200 14-14 -14 -32 1T 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) /Seagate 600 SSD 240GB ... CoolerMaster 240 AIO Windows 10 Pro LG 31MU97-B 4096x2160 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine - Blue LED - MX Cherry Red EVGA G3 850w Haf 932(Blue LED) Monix Naos 7000 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Mionix Asus Xonar Xense Sony DH 770 + Polk 5.1 speakers & Subwoofer 
  hide details  
Reply
Starr Status
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1700X @ 3.9ghz Gigabyte Aorus X370 K7 MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G G.Skill TridentZ RBG 3200 14-14 -14 -32 1T 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) /Seagate 600 SSD 240GB ... CoolerMaster 240 AIO Windows 10 Pro LG 31MU97-B 4096x2160 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine - Blue LED - MX Cherry Red EVGA G3 850w Haf 932(Blue LED) Monix Naos 7000 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Mionix Asus Xonar Xense Sony DH 770 + Polk 5.1 speakers & Subwoofer 
  hide details  
Reply
post #235 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post

The answer is simple: We as gamers told them we'd rather have DLC's. How did we do that? With our wallets.

No, that's not a logical conclusion. If a company offers extra content, we buy the extra content. It used to be expansions. Then they stopped doing expansions, and started doing DLC. So we bought DLC, because we buy extra content.

Saying that we don't want expansions just because we didn't buy expansions that were never for sale is just not a reasonable statement. The industry moved to DLC, and it's entirely reasonable to be a consumer who says "Okay, fine, I'll buy your DLC, but I'd still rather you make expansions instead."

It's not an either-or, you cannot determine causation from the information you have.
post #236 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mand12 View Post

No, that's not a logical conclusion. If a company offers extra content, we buy the extra content. It used to be expansions. Then they stopped doing expansions, and started doing DLC. So we bought DLC, because we buy extra content.

Saying that we don't want expansions just because we didn't buy expansions that were never for sale is just not a reasonable statement. The industry moved to DLC, and it's entirely reasonable to be a consumer who says "Okay, fine, I'll buy your DLC, but I'd still rather you make expansions instead."

It's not an either-or, you cannot determine causation from the information you have.

Actually, ask any publisher...

Expansions were launched that did very poorly in comparison to DLC's.

I give you Dragon Age. -- Expansions did terribly...In fact, Awakening did so poorly, EA pulled away and pushed it as a DLC.

My conclusion is my own...and it's based on speaking with these guys bi-weekly.

We as an industry essentially, over the course of the past 5 years, voted with our wallets. Whether you choose to accept that or not, is not something I cannot address...But, it's how THEY actually feel.

WE as gamers on OCN, maybe make up 0.1% of the entire market...Probably less...Just because we disagree with something, doesn't mean the market will...And they've proven time and time again that DLC > Expansion, especially in the FPS genre.

In fact, in the FPS Genre, you can trace back expansions and see how poorly they did in comparison to DLC's within the same timeframe. Take BF2 for example, Special forces vs. Euro Force and Armed Fury. -- Special forces did so badly as an expansion, they immediately moved to "DLC" which were Euro Force and Armed Fury which outsold their predecessor by a margin of 2 to 1...

There's also the convenience of a DLC as opposed to an expansion but, we touched on that earlier.

There's sufficient evidence to prove that expansions, especially in the FPS genre have not done as well as well as DLC.
post #237 of 339
Hey look at the bright side, all the new releases are really mod-friendly!
post #238 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBear View Post

Just paid $35 for the game. Preloading now.

Where'd you find it for $35? If you don't mind me asking.
Sandy Rigster
(16 items)
 
Little Big Rig
(5 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.4 P8P67 LE Radeon R9 290 8gb 1600mhz  
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
WD Caviar Black Crucial M4  Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Asus 24" VS248H-P 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
19" Hanspree 19" Hanspree Logitech G510 Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 700-Watt 
Mouse
Logitech G700 / Razer Death Adder 2013 
CPUGraphicsRAMOS
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Ati Radeon HD 4770 OCZ Gold DDR2 800 Windows Vista Ultimate x64 
Monitor
Philips 42" LCD TV 2ms 120hz 
  hide details  
Reply
Sandy Rigster
(16 items)
 
Little Big Rig
(5 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.4 P8P67 LE Radeon R9 290 8gb 1600mhz  
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
WD Caviar Black Crucial M4  Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Asus 24" VS248H-P 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
19" Hanspree 19" Hanspree Logitech G510 Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 700-Watt 
Mouse
Logitech G700 / Razer Death Adder 2013 
CPUGraphicsRAMOS
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Ati Radeon HD 4770 OCZ Gold DDR2 800 Windows Vista Ultimate x64 
Monitor
Philips 42" LCD TV 2ms 120hz 
  hide details  
Reply
post #239 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsurfer View Post

Where'd you find it for $35? If you don't mind me asking.

http://slickdeals.net/f/6771808-titanfall-pc-33-78-yuplay

You have to make an account and the site is in Russian. Make sure u check out with paypal. My friends and i had no issues with this site.
Starr Status
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1700X @ 3.9ghz Gigabyte Aorus X370 K7 MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G G.Skill TridentZ RBG 3200 14-14 -14 -32 1T 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) /Seagate 600 SSD 240GB ... CoolerMaster 240 AIO Windows 10 Pro LG 31MU97-B 4096x2160 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine - Blue LED - MX Cherry Red EVGA G3 850w Haf 932(Blue LED) Monix Naos 7000 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Mionix Asus Xonar Xense Sony DH 770 + Polk 5.1 speakers & Subwoofer 
  hide details  
Reply
Starr Status
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1700X @ 3.9ghz Gigabyte Aorus X370 K7 MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G G.Skill TridentZ RBG 3200 14-14 -14 -32 1T 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) /Seagate 600 SSD 240GB ... CoolerMaster 240 AIO Windows 10 Pro LG 31MU97-B 4096x2160 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine - Blue LED - MX Cherry Red EVGA G3 850w Haf 932(Blue LED) Monix Naos 7000 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Mionix Asus Xonar Xense Sony DH 770 + Polk 5.1 speakers & Subwoofer 
  hide details  
Reply
post #240 of 339
I kind of think it's a little silly to complain because nobody is requiring you to buy the DLC. I have BF4 and I do not plan on getting DLC unless the season pass goes down a bunch in price, but I love the game just the way it is.
Zen
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-6600k Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI RX 480 4GB 24 GB DDR4 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 evo OCZ Vertex 4 Crucial MX 500 256GB WD Black 3 TB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate 1 TB H60 Windows 10 Asus mx27a 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
hp 2009 m Corsair MR Brown Antec Earthwatts 650 Razer Naga 
Audio
Soundblaster Omni 
  hide details  
Reply
Zen
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-6600k Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI RX 480 4GB 24 GB DDR4 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 evo OCZ Vertex 4 Crucial MX 500 256GB WD Black 3 TB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate 1 TB H60 Windows 10 Asus mx27a 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
hp 2009 m Corsair MR Brown Antec Earthwatts 650 Razer Naga 
Audio
Soundblaster Omni 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Forbes] 'Titanfall' Will Have A Season Pass, Paid And Free DLC