Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [WashingtonPost] California bar bans Google Glass, fears recording
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[WashingtonPost] California bar bans Google Glass, fears recording - Page 8

post #71 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_haze View Post

LOL what are y'all gonna do when Google glass becomes small enough to fit in regular glasses?
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!
It's gonna happen, so live with it.
I for one think it's a great way to make sure our public servants are doing the jobs we employ them to do.

rolleyes.gif

Private businesses have private employees. They are not public servants. And businesses do have rules against recording their employees. The only public servants are the people that work in government-run agencies.

Until there is such a time it can no longer be fought against, let the fight against it continue.
Millenium Falcon
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4930k MSI Big Bang Xpower II EVGA GTX 690 Patriot Viper II Sector 7 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Deneva 2 Corsair Force 3 Maxtor Western Digital Green 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung BD/DVD-RW Swiftech MCP655 x2 Black Ice GTX 480 Black Ice GTX 280 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Alphacool Repack Dual D5 Watercool Heatkiller 3.0 Alphacool GTX 690 fullcover Bitspower Big Bang Xpower II fullcover 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 64-bit Professional 3x Dell S2340 Max Keyboard Durandal CoolerMaster V1000 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Azza Genesis 9000B Logitech G700 Roccat Alumic Onkyo HT-S9100THX 
  hide details  
Reply
Millenium Falcon
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4930k MSI Big Bang Xpower II EVGA GTX 690 Patriot Viper II Sector 7 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Deneva 2 Corsair Force 3 Maxtor Western Digital Green 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung BD/DVD-RW Swiftech MCP655 x2 Black Ice GTX 480 Black Ice GTX 280 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Alphacool Repack Dual D5 Watercool Heatkiller 3.0 Alphacool GTX 690 fullcover Bitspower Big Bang Xpower II fullcover 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 64-bit Professional 3x Dell S2340 Max Keyboard Durandal CoolerMaster V1000 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Azza Genesis 9000B Logitech G700 Roccat Alumic Onkyo HT-S9100THX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #72 of 182
Hm, I was under the impression that we are living in a free world. Why cant I wear what I want?
*I dont what to wear or have them, I also dont want to be recorded but I should be able to wear what I want*
/* Redemption*/
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 3930K Asus Sabertooth Asus GTX 680 8x4GB G.Skill@1337MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2xM4 64GB/ / F3 - 1TB / 2x2TB Baracudas some LG Modified EK 360 HFX 2x(Win7 x64) 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
SyncMaster P2770HD and SyncMaster 940NW Roccat Isku Corsair Gold AX750 NZXT 810 Switch 
MouseMouse Pad
Rocat Kone[+] Razer exactmat X 
  hide details  
Reply
/* Redemption*/
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 3930K Asus Sabertooth Asus GTX 680 8x4GB G.Skill@1337MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2xM4 64GB/ / F3 - 1TB / 2x2TB Baracudas some LG Modified EK 360 HFX 2x(Win7 x64) 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
SyncMaster P2770HD and SyncMaster 940NW Roccat Isku Corsair Gold AX750 NZXT 810 Switch 
MouseMouse Pad
Rocat Kone[+] Razer exactmat X 
  hide details  
Reply
post #73 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Eiht View Post

Hm, I was under the impression that we are living in a free world. Why cant I wear what I want?
*I dont what to wear or have them, I also dont want to be recorded but I should be able to wear what I want*

In actuality, you cannot wear what you want. There are public indecency statutes and laws throughout the US. Just like in many cities, there are noise ordinances among other restrictions.

In addition, this is a private establishment, and as long as it doesn't fall under racial, sexual, age, handicap, or religious discrimination, a private business is free to restrict whatever they want. I remember I would see on the doors of McDonalds and other fast food chains, there would be stickers that say "No shirts, no service" and the like.
Millenium Falcon
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4930k MSI Big Bang Xpower II EVGA GTX 690 Patriot Viper II Sector 7 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Deneva 2 Corsair Force 3 Maxtor Western Digital Green 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung BD/DVD-RW Swiftech MCP655 x2 Black Ice GTX 480 Black Ice GTX 280 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Alphacool Repack Dual D5 Watercool Heatkiller 3.0 Alphacool GTX 690 fullcover Bitspower Big Bang Xpower II fullcover 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 64-bit Professional 3x Dell S2340 Max Keyboard Durandal CoolerMaster V1000 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Azza Genesis 9000B Logitech G700 Roccat Alumic Onkyo HT-S9100THX 
  hide details  
Reply
Millenium Falcon
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4930k MSI Big Bang Xpower II EVGA GTX 690 Patriot Viper II Sector 7 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Deneva 2 Corsair Force 3 Maxtor Western Digital Green 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung BD/DVD-RW Swiftech MCP655 x2 Black Ice GTX 480 Black Ice GTX 280 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Alphacool Repack Dual D5 Watercool Heatkiller 3.0 Alphacool GTX 690 fullcover Bitspower Big Bang Xpower II fullcover 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 64-bit Professional 3x Dell S2340 Max Keyboard Durandal CoolerMaster V1000 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Azza Genesis 9000B Logitech G700 Roccat Alumic Onkyo HT-S9100THX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #74 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcamaross View Post

you're one of the people huh, i suppose you wouldnt mind someone following you send with a camera 24 hours a day then, as long as you weren't breaking the law, why not!

Yeah, because it's the same as someone following you around 24 hours a day. rolleyes.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by phill1978 View Post

i think you need to understand what paranoia is before you claim everyone who has a counter view to yours is paranoid.

they wont be £2k forever and its a legitimate concern echoed by others not just in this thread either, it doesn't mean they shouldn't exist but it also shouldn't be the case that tech nerds and journo's force establishments into feeling pressurised into allowing them in future. It should be the choice of the individual private establishment to offer their customers the option.

but yea thanks for offering your sentient counter argument by calling people stupid paranoids

That wasn't my counter argument, but ok. My counter is that you blow it out of proportion. Your comment was paranoid. Google are only releasing glass to spy everyone you and sell that information? Ok rolleyes.gif

And yes, journalists and media should be forcing establishments into backing off ridiculous and archaic thought processes. Oh no, it has a camera, not allowed in here! You might record everything. You might post it to YouTube. You might follow my girlfriend around and rub yourself later. Oh no, gays want to marry, not allowing legislators that voted for it in my establishment! It's just ridiculous, and should be challenged.

All this within a society that is cool with people having concealed weapons for "protection" but freak out at a piece of harmless tech.
The Riginator
(20 items)
 
 
Wife's Rig
(5 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Qualcomm Snapdragon S600 Adreno 330 2GB LPDDR3 NAND Storage 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 32GB MicroSD Android 4.4.2 KitKat 5 inch (441ppi) 1080x1920 Super AMOLED SwiftKey 
Power
2600mAh Battery 
  hide details  
Reply
The Riginator
(20 items)
 
 
Wife's Rig
(5 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Qualcomm Snapdragon S600 Adreno 330 2GB LPDDR3 NAND Storage 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 32GB MicroSD Android 4.4.2 KitKat 5 inch (441ppi) 1080x1920 Super AMOLED SwiftKey 
Power
2600mAh Battery 
  hide details  
Reply
post #75 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubers View Post

Yeah, because it's the same as someone following you around 24 hours a day. rolleyes.gif
That wasn't my counter argument, but ok. My counter is that you blow it out of proportion. Your comment was paranoid. Google are only releasing glass to spy everyone you and sell that information? Ok rolleyes.gif
.
thats still not paranoid, it is a fact. Google became so big through its data collection and mining, they war drove around the globe capturing peoples ssid's and security type (which they ended up apologising for but did they delete ?) they also take any pre-shared key from any andriod device attached to a wireless network with no opt out, even corporate keys.. (wait there is an opt out but it disables essential features meaning opt out is limits the device heavily) google have yet to explain why they need this full unfettered network access to any home wireless or psk enabled corporate network around the globe (but we can guess who would like to share that information) im sure apple does the same.. you could call it a convenience feature? but you still have to input everytime you get a new device in the same network so where is the convenience for the end user? .. ok you got me, im paranoid because i joined two extremely close dots.

These glasses are an extension of that. You have a secret love affair with google.. fine, not everyone is under the illusion that they are the good Samaritan saviours, they are a business that is all. Remember how Microsoft want to use the kinect for product placement? the scope for advertising revenue is enormous with glass.

All im saying is google is in it for selling the data and metrics to the highest bidder, its business as usual.. im not blaming them or hating, its just how it is, it isn’t paranoia there getting rich from it and its working.


oh and regards to glass being banned in a bar.. try walking into a night club with trainers and a cap on .... nup not happening because its the establishments code of conduct effectively. In the end its up to the customer to walk out if they don't like the bar that has people sat wearing glass sat a the tables where usually there would be beer and chips and a semi-private quiet conversation in a private establishment.
Edited by Pip Boy - 3/7/14 at 6:06am
post #76 of 182
This new technology is cool and all but I do have a problem with people interested in recording others for their own entertainment.

Here is an example on how recording technology is being abused: two people are having an argument over something. It gets pretty heated and one of them starts "telling it how it is". The other pulls a device and starts recording while also becoming more passive. The first man, seeing this gets even angrier and louder. The second, trying not to incriminate himself says very little even though in reality has plenty to say himself. The argument is over. The man with the recording, puts it on youtube provides a one-sided description on how the other guy is in the wrong and then waits for droves of people who have no idea what the argument is about, nor who the protagonists are, to jump in and judge and swear at the recorded man and at each other.

It's a disgraceful spectacle and the point is this: too many use recording technology to bring private discussions, private arguments, private dealings and businesses into the public when it's none of the public's business. Just because the argument happens on a street or what have-you it doesn't make it less about those two people and only those two people.

Stuff goes on the internet and stays there. An alcoholic gets drunk, makes a spectacle and is recorded. He then goes to rehab, rebuilds his life together and tries to leave his addiction behind. However his video is still there and people still judge him for what he did when it was taken. Get recorded once be judged forever by strangers.

Sure there is the other side of recordings saving people from unfairness and capturing great moments but the people as a whole haven't yet learned the dangers of this technology and will use it wrongly (even unknowingly) until enough get hurt by this.
post #77 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by phill1978 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubers View Post

Yeah, because it's the same as someone following you around 24 hours a day. rolleyes.gif
That wasn't my counter argument, but ok. My counter is that you blow it out of proportion. Your comment was paranoid. Google are only releasing glass to spy everyone you and sell that information? Ok rolleyes.gif
.
thats still not paranoid, it is a fact. Google became so big through its data collection and mining, they war drove around the globe capturing peoples ssid's and security type (which they ended up apologising for but did they delete ?) they also take any pre-shared key from any andriod device attached to a wireless network with no opt out, even corporate keys.. (wait there is an opt out but it disables essential features meaning opt out is limits the device heavily) google have yet to explain why they need this full unfettered network access to any home wireless or psk enabled corporate network around the globe (but we can guess who would like to share that information) im sure apple does the same.. you could call it a convenience feature? but you still have to input everytime you get a new device in the same network so where is the convenience for the end user? .. ok you got me, im paranoid because i joined two extremely close dots.

These glasses are an extension of that. You have a secret love affair with google.. fine, not everyone is under the illusion that they are the good Samaritan saviours, they are a business that is all. Remember how Microsoft want to use the kinect for product placement? the scope for advertising revenue is enormous with glass.

All im saying is google is in it for selling the data and metrics to the highest bidder, its business as usual.. im not blaming them or hating, its just how it is, it isn’t paranoia there getting rich from it and its working.


oh and regards to glass being banned in a bar.. try walking into a night club with trainers and a cap on .... nup not happening because its the establishments code of conduct effectively. In the end its up to the customer to walk out if they don't like the bar that has people sat wearing glass sat a the tables where usually there would be beer and chips and a semi-private quiet conversation in a private establishment.

I've always loved how naive people are with this bit.

Do you realize that if Google sold all the information they have on you, the businesses they deal with would no longer have a reason to pay Google to advertise for them? Google's whole business model depends on them exclusively holding all of your information. What Google sells to businesses isn't your information, it's their ability to solicit very accurately to their entire user-base.

Example scenario:

-Samsung wants to advertise with Google.
-Samsung pays Google $X million for Google to shoot Samsung ads to all Google users in X area that have interests in Samsung or products similar to Samsung's.
-If Google were to give Samsung a list of all those users with interests in Samsung/similar products in X area, Samsung would never again have to pay Google to handle the advertising. Why would they? They can now do it themselves with all that information.

This is why I just find it completely hilarious when people think Google's goal is to collect your information to sell it off to the highest bidder. doh.gifNO. That defeats their entire purpose. Believe me, their users' information is their trade secret/secret weapon. They don't want that out.
Edited by Stealth Pyros - 3/7/14 at 6:21am
Gaming Rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k, 4.6GHz, 1.304v ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 2x Sapphire HD7970 OC with Boost, 1150 MHz/1550... 2x4GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 Pro Samsung 750GB HD753LJ Samsung F3 ASUS 24X DVD Combo Drive 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua DH14 Windows 8 Professional x64 Crossover 27Q 27" IPS LED, 2560x1440 Logitech G11 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX750 Cooler Master HAF932 Logitech G500 Custom 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty 2x Dayton B652 Bookshelf Dayton DTA-100A Amplifier Dayton 12" SUB-1200 Subwoofer 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k, 4.6GHz, 1.304v ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 2x Sapphire HD7970 OC with Boost, 1150 MHz/1550... 2x4GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 Pro Samsung 750GB HD753LJ Samsung F3 ASUS 24X DVD Combo Drive 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua DH14 Windows 8 Professional x64 Crossover 27Q 27" IPS LED, 2560x1440 Logitech G11 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX750 Cooler Master HAF932 Logitech G500 Custom 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty 2x Dayton B652 Bookshelf Dayton DTA-100A Amplifier Dayton 12" SUB-1200 Subwoofer 
  hide details  
Reply
post #78 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Pyros View Post

I've always loved how naive people are with this bit.

Do you realize that if Google sold all the information they have on you, the businesses they deal with would no longer have a reason to pay Google to advertise for them? Google's whole business model depends on them exclusively holding all of your information. What Google sells to businesses isn't your information, it's their ability to solicit very accurately to their entire user-base.

Example scenario:

-Samsung wants to advertise with Google.
-Samsung pays Google $X million for Google to shoot Samsung ads to all Google users in X area that have interests in Samsung or products similar to Samsung's.
-If Google were to give Samsung a list of all those users with interests in Samsung/similar products in X area, Samsung would never again have to pay Google to handle the advertising. Why would they? They can now do it themselves with all that information.

This is why I just find it completely hilarious when people think Google's goal is to collect your information to sell it off to the highest bidder. doh.gifNO. That defeats their entire purpose. Believe me, their users' information is their trade secret/secret weapon. They don't want that out.

that’s sort of what i meant, i should of phrased it better my bad. They allow for extremely targeted advertising, the highest bidder bit comes when you see that a webpage only has so much space and prime places to put adverts on..

however hand on heart do you actually know if they haven’t sold information? or is this just a belief you have. I get what your saying a whole sale sell of raw data isnt what im getting at though, more the metrics for advertising.. which is what i did say.

in the end google are a business and you sign up for everything they do when you buy their products or use their services, the difference here is were talking about the capability of one of their services to effect people who have no interest in being part of them.
Edited by Pip Boy - 3/7/14 at 6:59am
post #79 of 182
I don't have a love affair with Google, I'm just indifferent to their business methods and I'm not paranoid about them doing whatever. Gmail can read my emails? Whatever. It's a bot that scans for keywords, and my emails are boring as sin anyway. It's more apathy than love.

Sure, Google "stole" those SSID's. I say stole in quotes, because they're publicly available (unless hidden, at which point, Google couldn't have logged those). What's Google going to do with those? I do't care. Unless they're going to park outside my house my SSID is useless to them.

Google paid millions to drive around the entire globe and map the world, and they sell the information (The maps) as an API to businesses. But they also made that available for free for the public to use, across a wide range of platforms.

I'm fully aware that I'm a product to them. The demographics they get from me are sold in one way or another to fund their enterprise. It's a symbiotic relationship. If you think Microsoft, Apple or Samsung don't do anything different then you're deluding yourself. Every questionnaire, every club/bonus card you own is there for the same reason. Facebook is the biggest and by far most successful perpetrator of this.

If you have no interest in being part of Google's services, better disconnect your internet, because they're everywhere. Furthermore, what proof do you have (considering Glass as open API's and the software has been hacked on XDA) is using Glass to collect information? What proof do you have that Glass is constantly recording and you will be captured and somehow sold as information just for walking past someone using it? None.

So, as I said, paranoia.
The Riginator
(20 items)
 
 
Wife's Rig
(5 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Qualcomm Snapdragon S600 Adreno 330 2GB LPDDR3 NAND Storage 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 32GB MicroSD Android 4.4.2 KitKat 5 inch (441ppi) 1080x1920 Super AMOLED SwiftKey 
Power
2600mAh Battery 
  hide details  
Reply
The Riginator
(20 items)
 
 
Wife's Rig
(5 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Qualcomm Snapdragon S600 Adreno 330 2GB LPDDR3 NAND Storage 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 32GB MicroSD Android 4.4.2 KitKat 5 inch (441ppi) 1080x1920 Super AMOLED SwiftKey 
Power
2600mAh Battery 
  hide details  
Reply
post #80 of 182
it's OK. wear a gopro instead. biggrin.gif
 
Work Rig
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2700k @ 4.5GHz  Asus P8Z68-V/Gen3 Asus GTX 1070 Strix OC G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Crucial M4 128GB + 1TB F3 + Crucial M500 256GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Pro Cooler Master Novatouch TKL 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Cooler Master V1000 600T SE Roccat Kone XTD Steel Series 9HD 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 Rampage III Gene 2x EVGA GTX 680 SLI 24gb HyperX 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
960GB Crucial M500 Intel Stock Windows 7 64bit Enterprise HP ZR2440w + Z24i 
KeyboardPowerCase
Ducky Brown Antec TP-750 Antec Sonata 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Work Rig
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2700k @ 4.5GHz  Asus P8Z68-V/Gen3 Asus GTX 1070 Strix OC G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Crucial M4 128GB + 1TB F3 + Crucial M500 256GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Pro Cooler Master Novatouch TKL 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Cooler Master V1000 600T SE Roccat Kone XTD Steel Series 9HD 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 Rampage III Gene 2x EVGA GTX 680 SLI 24gb HyperX 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
960GB Crucial M500 Intel Stock Windows 7 64bit Enterprise HP ZR2440w + Z24i 
KeyboardPowerCase
Ducky Brown Antec TP-750 Antec Sonata 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [WashingtonPost] California bar bans Google Glass, fears recording