Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › getting a gaming rig this sat! Need some advise
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

getting a gaming rig this sat! Need some advise - Page 5

post #41 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrClaw View Post

get this case instead, solid steel, more durable
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=6_111&item_id=063934

and get this cpu cooler instead, corsair liquid coolers are okay, nzxt is better but i would stick to a beefy air cooler, dont have to worry about radiator/pump problems after the 2 year warranty...
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018

your ram is fine, it fits the noctua dh14, in case you're wondering
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=compatibility_ram_gen&products_id=34&lng=en

if you want to spend more money, i would just buy a 900D case, thats the best supertower ever made, its big and heavy though but shes a beast,
or buy a mini tower like the 250D
not sure if sapphire trix will fit or the noctua cooler though

i have a hybrid case and i kinda wish i got the mini cases instead but thats just me wink.gif
You do realize other companies build good cases right?
NZXT builds one of the best cases you can buy, Silverstone too. Coolermaster's are pretty good as well. Really the only way you can go wrong is with a Thermaltake (as far as big brands go). I would own your switch 810 over a 700D any day of the week. Even over an 800D (800D is garbage for air cooling, not even that great for watercooling unless you mod it heavily). But if you really wanted to spend money on the case, get a Caselab's case. Or DangerDen.
Black Jarvis V1.9
(21 items)
 
Mazdaspeed6
(18 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Jarvis V1.9
(21 items)
 
Mazdaspeed6
(18 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #42 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHDadditiv View Post

For everyone saying that AIO water cooling is a hassle, its actually less of a hassle then a large air cooler. With the air cooler, first off you gotta try and get a screwdriver to those mounting brackets. Second, you gotta make sure the ram isnt going to get in the way of the fans (it will). Third, a good 120mm AIO unit will good better then most 2-fan 140mm air coolers. With the AIO solution, you mount the cpu block, which is simple, nothing gets in the way, then mount the rad and fan in the applicable space. Rarely do you have to worry about hardware dependencies (unless you have certain cases).

But yeah I thought we already finalized his build before this?

Motherboard, the original board you picked was good, but I think I read somewhere you switched to the Extreme 6, which is a beast. You wont have to worry about it with that board.

If you do decide to get the Noctua OP, make sure you have ultra low profile ram, otherwise it wont fit. Also make sure your case is wide enough for the cooler, I've run into this problem before where the cooler doesn't fit.

i know for a fact the ram he chose fits the noctua dh 14, go look here at the website, specifically says which ram per manufacturer fits thumb.gif
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=compatibility_ram_gen&products_id=34&lng=en

and i have a switch 810, nxzt has good cases and im never buying a new case, at least for a decade
and i have a kraken x40 closed loop, i honestly dont like closed liquid cooling, some of these are known to cause buzzing and things,
and a short 2 year warranty thats not right, if you want longevity you go air cooling or custom loop, not closed
with a simple air cooler and longer warranty, i think its 5 years or something, either way if the fans fail, you just replace them, and the heatsink is metal and one of the best built heatsinks
i forget what sets the heatsink quality from others

anyway if you do buy a closed liquid, you should mount it on the top, many people mount as exhaust but i read its better for the liquid or somethin
also the install isnt that hard, if anything there are tutorials on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djki8c31Dqs

its for socket 1156, only difference is the type of brackets used in the video.
Edited by DrClaw - 3/7/14 at 9:56am
post #43 of 80
Totaly offtopic but why suggest such big cases anyway.

Its a single GPU build with 1 air cooler or a AIO. With the AIO he even needs less space, and most of the "big" aircoolers fit in even a midi tower.
I recently added a Mugen 2 in a really small case without a problem.

Save your money if you don´t plan a water loop and need the space or the mountings or modding it or make use of the high funcionaliity those expensive cases bring to the table

And YES the NZXT is an fantastic and beautiful case, I would have bought it as well

Nontheless, for a simple gaming build every 60€ case is enough imo, if money plays a role
Edited by acanom - 3/7/14 at 9:52am
post #44 of 80
saw allot of people recommending asus boards, I'd take the advise...i have an asrock extreme, it partially works.... no working NIC port and BSOD's randomly.
Sandy Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k Gigabyte UD7-B3 Palit 580 in SLI 2x4GB Ripjaws 1333 7-7-7-21 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Crucial SSD 64GB ea. raid 0 Windows 7 Ultimate Using HDTV 1080p Corsair AX 1200 
Case
Azza Hurrican 2000r 
  hide details  
Reply
Sandy Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k Gigabyte UD7-B3 Palit 580 in SLI 2x4GB Ripjaws 1333 7-7-7-21 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Crucial SSD 64GB ea. raid 0 Windows 7 Ultimate Using HDTV 1080p Corsair AX 1200 
Case
Azza Hurrican 2000r 
  hide details  
Reply
post #45 of 80
i like putting my hardware in a nice big fancy metal box, instead of a plastic mesh thing although the case the op listed is pretty damn good case, apparently its steel and full tower thumb.gif

its alot easier to build with my two big hands in the case as well biggrin.gif
post #46 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammickk View Post

saw allot of people recommending asus boards, I'd take the advise...i have an asrock extreme, it partially works.... no working NIC port and BSOD's randomly.
As have I had Asrock extreme boards. Mine worked flawlessly, and it was the supposed flawed Z77 extreme 4. Everyone has good and bad experiences with motherboards, you could have easily RMA'd the board.
Black Jarvis V1.9
(21 items)
 
Mazdaspeed6
(18 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Jarvis V1.9
(21 items)
 
Mazdaspeed6
(18 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #47 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrClaw View Post

i like putting my hardware in a nice big fancy metal box, instead of a plastic mesh thing although the case the op listed is pretty damn good case, apparently its steel and full tower thumb.gif

its alot easier to build with my two big hands in the case as well biggrin.gif

You mean the CM Storm Styker? Yes, it is a full tower and almost completely made of steel (see my previous post about which parts are not). It's just a bit heavy at 14Kg empty and my fairly basic rig is currently around 18Kg. I like the handles though (there's also a hidden one at the back).
My rig
(28 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core I5 7500 Gigabyte Z270-GAMING K3 Gigabyte GTX 750Ti Black (back from retirement) Gigabyt GT640 OC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
8GB Crucial DDR4 250 GB Seagate 500 GB Seagate 250 GB Seagate 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Liteon iHAS324 Deepcool Gammaxx S40 No-name fan controller Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Windows 10 Tech Preview (x64) (expired) Samsung Syncmaster S20B300 Samsung Syncmaster S20B300 Samsung Syncmaster S20B300 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Asus Strix Tactic Pro Cooler Master V 650S CM Storm Stryker Genius Maurus 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Razer Goliathus Alpha Yamaha RX-V567 Receiver Sennheiser HD 380 Pro Headphones TEK SP-8008S surround bookshelf speakers 
AudioAudioAudioOther
TEK SP-8008F tower speakers (Bi-amped) TEK SP-8008C center speaker Logik HTIB sub (blown amp in the TEK) 360W Mecer UPS 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo P8600 LENOVO 2241B57 Mobile Intel GMA 4500MHD 2 GB 
Hard DriveOSOSMonitor
128 GB Corsair Force GS Windows 8.1 Pro (x86) Windows 10 Tech Preview (x64) (expired) 15.4" lcd 1680*1050 
AudioOther
Conexant Cx20561 Embedded 3G 
  hide details  
Reply
My rig
(28 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core I5 7500 Gigabyte Z270-GAMING K3 Gigabyte GTX 750Ti Black (back from retirement) Gigabyt GT640 OC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
8GB Crucial DDR4 250 GB Seagate 500 GB Seagate 250 GB Seagate 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Liteon iHAS324 Deepcool Gammaxx S40 No-name fan controller Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Windows 10 Tech Preview (x64) (expired) Samsung Syncmaster S20B300 Samsung Syncmaster S20B300 Samsung Syncmaster S20B300 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Asus Strix Tactic Pro Cooler Master V 650S CM Storm Stryker Genius Maurus 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Razer Goliathus Alpha Yamaha RX-V567 Receiver Sennheiser HD 380 Pro Headphones TEK SP-8008S surround bookshelf speakers 
AudioAudioAudioOther
TEK SP-8008F tower speakers (Bi-amped) TEK SP-8008C center speaker Logik HTIB sub (blown amp in the TEK) 360W Mecer UPS 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo P8600 LENOVO 2241B57 Mobile Intel GMA 4500MHD 2 GB 
Hard DriveOSOSMonitor
128 GB Corsair Force GS Windows 8.1 Pro (x86) Windows 10 Tech Preview (x64) (expired) 15.4" lcd 1680*1050 
AudioOther
Conexant Cx20561 Embedded 3G 
  hide details  
Reply
post #48 of 80
Thread Starter 
this is my updated build. Im almost there! and im going for the extreme 4..
CPU: Intel Core I5 4670k
MOBO: ASrock Z87 Extreme 4
RAM: GSkill RipjawsX 2x4GB DDR3 1866mhz OR 20$ more for a 2400mhz Trident X (4GBX2)?
HDD: WD 1TB Caviar Blue HDD
GPU:
PSU:
Chasis: CM Storm Stryker
Cooler:
SSD: Plextor M5S 128GB SSD ( i'd consider the 200+gb) but because the 128Gb has a promotion ATM


for GPU i was thinking GTX780 Leadtek winfast OR R9 290 Tri-X

PSU i was thinking Corsair RM650 (Modular but not full, GOLD) , X650 SEASONIC (full modular,GOLD) OR CM v700 (modular,GOLD) or any other suggestions?

Cooler: I chose Hyper 212X, is it sufficient? I dont think i would opt for AIO because they are expensive and some air coolers can be even better than AIO.

I hope to recieve feedbacks from u guys.. Thanks :-)
post #49 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjoetan View Post

this is my updated build. Im almost there! and im going for the extreme 4..
CPU: Intel Core I5 4670k
MOBO: ASrock Z87 Extreme 4
RAM: GSkill RipjawsX 2x4GB DDR3 1866mhz OR 20$ more for a 2400mhz Trident X (4GBX2)?
HDD: WD 1TB Caviar Blue HDD
GPU:
PSU:
Chasis: CM Storm Stryker
Cooler:
SSD: Plextor M5S 128GB SSD ( i'd consider the 200+gb) but because the 128Gb has a promotion ATM


for GPU i was thinking GTX780 Leadtek winfast OR R9 290 Tri-X

PSU i was thinking Corsair RM650 (Modular but not full, GOLD) , X650 SEASONIC (full modular,GOLD) OR CM v700 (modular,GOLD) or any other suggestions?

Cooler: I chose Hyper 212X, is it sufficient? I dont think i would opt for AIO because they are expensive and some air coolers can be even better than AIO.

I hope to recieve feedbacks from u guys.. Thanks :-)
If the 290 is the same price as the 780, go for that, if the 780 is cheaper, get the 780.

For the PSU go for the Seasonic X650 or the CM V700.

For the cooler, if you are ovrclocking, the 212 wont be enough. The 4670K runs quite hot. Yes its true, some air coolers beat some AIO units. But honestly, right now, I believe the Corsair H50 or 60 is up for like $40. Maybe it was an Antec or Coolermaster. Its a 120mm rad AIO cooler, performs excellent. For air coolers around that price, there is the XIGMATEK Dark Knight II and I believe the CM V6 GT is around that price.

Oh yeah, and rule of thumb, if the ram is within $4 per step up in speed, (1866, 2133, 2400, etc), then go for it. At $20 more for the 2400MHz, using that rule, not worth it. thumb.gif
Black Jarvis V1.9
(21 items)
 
Mazdaspeed6
(18 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Jarvis V1.9
(21 items)
 
Mazdaspeed6
(18 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #50 of 80
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHDadditiv View Post

If the 290 is the same price as the 780, go for that, if the 780 is cheaper, get the 780.

For the PSU go for the Seasonic X650 or the CM V700.

For the cooler, if you are ovrclocking, the 212 wont be enough. The 4670K runs quite hot. Yes its true, some air coolers beat some AIO units. But honestly, right now, I believe the Corsair H50 or 60 is up for like $40. Maybe it was an Antec or Coolermaster. Its a 120mm rad AIO cooler, performs excellent. For air coolers around that price, there is the XIGMATEK Dark Knight II and I believe the CM V6 GT is around that price.

Oh yeah, and rule of thumb, if the ram is within $4 per step up in speed, (1866, 2133, 2400, etc), then go for it. At $20 more for the 2400MHz, using that rule, not worth it. thumb.gif
Thanks. the R9 290 Tri-X is cheaper than the 780GTX. I guess at the time being its not worth getting Nvidia.

I've decided to go for the X650 SEASONIC as i've had this PSu for my build and its so far so good.

For the CPU cooler, I got to admit the AIO H100i looks cool as hell.
The D14 and H100i is almost the same price. and for thecoolers u mentioned i dont think i could get them
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › getting a gaming rig this sat! Need some advise