Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › Sound Quality comparison: Logitech Z-5500 vs Celestion 3 - By TotallydubbedHD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sound Quality comparison: Logitech Z-5500 vs Celestion 3 - By TotallydubbedHD

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
Hi there OCN,

Thought to share with you guys my experiences in computer audio.
Thanks to TJ Angel, I was able to scope out speakers and a setup that was in fact affordable.

I've in fact "broken even" - my new setup cost me £235 and my old setup I've so far sold for £225 (potential £360) - that's with the Z5500 going for £190 and my DX selling for £35 (and a potential of my EHP-O2D going for £135 - although not sold yet).
For £235 I got:
Denon X500 - £130
4x Celestion 3 used - £65
1x Celestion F35C used - £40

Anyway - wanted to share an honest and fair comparison between the Z5500 speakers and the CS3's via a video:
The video has various songs (some contain strong language):

Hope it helps thumb.gif
-Dubbed
post #2 of 11
Nice video. I too have the z5500s Although they are good for what they offer i.e wide number of inputs, true 5.1, loud bass, loud in general and the looks. The overall sound of the whole 5.1 setup is decent but if you test the speakers individually you begin to realize they could be better. But then again for £80 what can I say smile.gif Even though my bookshelf speakers have more quality I still prefer the z5500 for some reason :!!!
post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by afropelican View Post

Nice video. I too have the z5500s Although they are good for what they offer i.e wide number of inputs, true 5.1, loud bass, loud in general and the looks. The overall sound of the whole 5.1 setup is decent but if you test the speakers individually you begin to realize they could be better. But then again for £80 what can I say smile.gif Even though my bookshelf speakers have more quality I still prefer the z5500 for some reason :!!!
you paid £80 for yours? That's a bargain!
post #4 of 11
Yeah,the guy was actually selling it for £150 but he forgot remote which aided in my argument for lowering the price biggrin.gif
Here is the z5500 setup:


These are my old computer speakers (Technics) (moved to cupboard/ work area as it took up too much space on my desk:


These are my current ones (Pioneers) :


More of a bass head than an audiophile which might be why I prefer the z5500
post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by afropelican View Post

Yeah,the guy was actually selling it for £150 but he forgot remote which aided in my argument for lowering the price biggrin.gif
More of a bass head than an audiophile which might be why I prefer the z5500

Nice one mate!

Here's my current setup:

post #6 of 11
A bit off topic: Nice desk, where did you get it from? Are those built in cup holders drool.gif
post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by afropelican View Post

A bit off topic: Nice desk, where did you get it from? Are those built in cup holders drool.gif
have a guess? Yes, Ikeaaaaa! Only costs £150 too, making it super affordable. One of the best designed desks I've ever seen personally. And to add to that it comes in at a super affordable price.
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Dubbed View Post

have a guess? Yes, Ikeaaaaa! Only costs £150 too, making it super affordable. One of the best designed desks I've ever seen personally. And to add to that it comes in at a super affordable price.

Oh god ikea.

No wonder why I kept hearing vibrations. tongue.gif
Yin&Yang
(19 items)
 
Soon
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4820K Gigabyte X79 UP4 GTX 660 (waiting for new AMD cards) Samsung green  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Adata SP900  Seagate 2TB hard drive (the power of 1 edition)  Custom WC Loop Linux (various versions) 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster T240HD Coolermaster XT Green switches XFX 1000w Corsair 800D 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Naga Epic 2014 edition Razer Vespula Stax Lambda Nova Classic Custom DIY DAC 
AudioAudioOther
300b PP monoblocks Snell J3 NZXT Hue 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
8 core xeon E6 @ 3.5ghz 8 core xeon E6 @ 3.5ghz EVGA X99 SR?  AMD 390x 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveCooling
AMD 390x 128 GB ECC DDR4  1TB PCI-e SSD Custom WC Loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Linux 16:10 Samsung PLS 4K monitor Corsair RGB keyboard with custom cherry MX supe... EVGA 1600 watt titanium  
CaseMouseAudio
Caselabs Magnum STH10 DIY my own mouse Snell J 3 
  hide details  
Reply
Yin&Yang
(19 items)
 
Soon
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4820K Gigabyte X79 UP4 GTX 660 (waiting for new AMD cards) Samsung green  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Adata SP900  Seagate 2TB hard drive (the power of 1 edition)  Custom WC Loop Linux (various versions) 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster T240HD Coolermaster XT Green switches XFX 1000w Corsair 800D 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Naga Epic 2014 edition Razer Vespula Stax Lambda Nova Classic Custom DIY DAC 
AudioAudioOther
300b PP monoblocks Snell J3 NZXT Hue 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
8 core xeon E6 @ 3.5ghz 8 core xeon E6 @ 3.5ghz EVGA X99 SR?  AMD 390x 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveCooling
AMD 390x 128 GB ECC DDR4  1TB PCI-e SSD Custom WC Loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Linux 16:10 Samsung PLS 4K monitor Corsair RGB keyboard with custom cherry MX supe... EVGA 1600 watt titanium  
CaseMouseAudio
Caselabs Magnum STH10 DIY my own mouse Snell J 3 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjj226 Angel View Post

Oh god ikea.

No wonder why I kept hearing vibrations. tongue.gif

That's actually due to my Taekwondo medals on the side wink.gif
post #10 of 11
Oh yeah I should've mentioned that (even though they appear unneeded in your circumstance) ... I put adhesive rubber feet under my bookshelf speakers to reduce any general unwanted vibrations. It helped a lot - these 'aftermarket' rubber feet are a lot better than the majority included with speakers tongue.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Cards and Computer Audio
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › Sound Quality comparison: Logitech Z-5500 vs Celestion 3 - By TotallydubbedHD