Overclock.net › Forums › Overclock Marketplace › Appraisals › Appraisal: Broken Macbook pro late 2011
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Appraisal: Broken Macbook pro late 2011

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
A colleague at work has a macbook pro with a burnt logic board. I have no idea of how the battery is, and he no longer has a charger. He has already fixed it once, probably somebody put it into an oven, and it only lasted a few weeks before it got messed up again.

I wanna buy it from him because it's basically a paper weight and general consensus is it will stay that way, because in the past he had some RAM stick that another colleague wanted to buy from him and he was so hard to negotiate with that the case just dismissed tongue.gif

My plan is to show him this thread so we can get into an agreement for both parties.

I believe it's Model No: A1286 (EMC 2563*), which is a MacBook Pro "Core i7" 2.2 15" Late 2011
It's this model
post #2 of 8
If the logic board is bad, not much. Probably $300 for the parts. You say it's the logic board, but it may just be the 6750m. They currently have a recall for 2011 iMacs containing the 6770m (faster clocked version of the 6750m). I wouldn't be shocked to see if the 6750m models come up for the issue. If he baked it (or someone else), he may be S.O.L. when it comes to a replacement (assuming Apple does in fact recall them), as that is obviously an issue.

At worst you are looking at replacing the logic board. Based on the model he has, you are looking at a $1000.00 fix + time + labor. In this case, $300 is about all I would spend on it, assuming there is no issue with anything else.

http://www.ifixit.com/Store/Mac/MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-Unibody-Late-2011-2-2-GHz-Logic-Board/IF161-093
Gnomeon
(16 items)
 
GnomeBook Pro
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E3-1245 V2 ASUS P8Z77-V SAPPHIRE TRI-X OC Radeon R9 290X 4GB  Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M550 256GB HGST Travelstar 7K1000 2.5-Inch 1TB 7200 RPM Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XL2730Z Cooler Master Quickfire Pro Unbranded (Tenkeyless) SeaSonic SG12 550W Fractal Design Define S 
MouseAudioAudioOther
Mionix Avior Swan M10 Philips Fidelio X1 Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2720QM Logic Board Intel HD Graphics 3000 and AMD 6750M 1gb Crucial 16GB 1333MHZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
750gb Hitachi 5400rpm 8x double-layer SuperDrive OS x 10.7.4 15.4" LED-backlit glossy widescreen display 144... 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Apple Keyboard Apple 85W MagSafe Power Adapter 2011 Unibody Magic Trackpad 
Audio
Built-in Stereo Speakers with Subwoofer 
  hide details  
Reply
Gnomeon
(16 items)
 
GnomeBook Pro
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E3-1245 V2 ASUS P8Z77-V SAPPHIRE TRI-X OC Radeon R9 290X 4GB  Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M550 256GB HGST Travelstar 7K1000 2.5-Inch 1TB 7200 RPM Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XL2730Z Cooler Master Quickfire Pro Unbranded (Tenkeyless) SeaSonic SG12 550W Fractal Design Define S 
MouseAudioAudioOther
Mionix Avior Swan M10 Philips Fidelio X1 Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2720QM Logic Board Intel HD Graphics 3000 and AMD 6750M 1gb Crucial 16GB 1333MHZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
750gb Hitachi 5400rpm 8x double-layer SuperDrive OS x 10.7.4 15.4" LED-backlit glossy widescreen display 144... 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Apple Keyboard Apple 85W MagSafe Power Adapter 2011 Unibody Magic Trackpad 
Audio
Built-in Stereo Speakers with Subwoofer 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomepatrol View Post

If the logic board is bad, not much. Probably $300 for the parts. You say it's the logic board, but it may just be the 6750m. They currently have a recall for 2011 iMacs containing the 6770m (faster clocked version of the 6750m). I wouldn't be shocked to see if the 6750m models come up for the issue. If he baked it (or someone else), he may be S.O.L. when it comes to a replacement (assuming Apple does in fact recall them), as that is obviously an issue.

At worst you are looking at replacing the logic board. Based on the model he has, you are looking at a $1000.00 fix + time + labor. In this case, $300 is about all I would spend on it, assuming there is no issue with anything else.

http://www.ifixit.com/Store/Mac/MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-Unibody-Late-2011-2-2-GHz-Logic-Board/IF161-093

Ah, you made me remember something, it's out of warranty and therefore I do not believe apple would accept it for a recall.
Even if it would, since it has already been fixed before, they could deny it.
post #4 of 8
There is no recall on 2011 MacBook Pros. Also, as long as there is no damage, an Apple store will do a flat rate repair for $310, assuming you are in the US.
Turd
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-3570k @ 4.7ghz MSI Z77 MPOWER XFX R9 290 some ram 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Intel 330 240GB Corsair H100i Windows 8 Professional Auria EQ276W 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky DK2108S MX Blue Corsair AX750 Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 Logitech MX510 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
SteelSeries QcK Audio Technica ATH-M50S Soundblaster Z 
  hide details  
Reply
Turd
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-3570k @ 4.7ghz MSI Z77 MPOWER XFX R9 290 some ram 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Intel 330 240GB Corsair H100i Windows 8 Professional Auria EQ276W 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky DK2108S MX Blue Corsair AX750 Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 Logitech MX510 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
SteelSeries QcK Audio Technica ATH-M50S Soundblaster Z 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by EduFurtado View Post

My plan is to show him this thread so we can get into an agreement for both parties.

If the logic board is fried, the most valuable components that remain are the display, the chassis, RAM, storage devices, and charger, in that order. Problem is, without another unit to diagnose along side it, you have no idea what parts are good and what parts are bad. The display is probably OK, the chassis is definitely OK, RAM is questionable, storage devices aren't worth squat unless it's SSD, and charger is only worth a few bucks.

If the chassis is in PRISTINE condition (e.g. no scratches anywhere on it) - you might get $150 for that part alone. If it's scratched up, e.g. used and abused, it's worthless.

Probably $250-$300 is a fair offer for parts if you have an identical MBP to self-diagnose or need spares for. Apple will flat-fee repair it, but I think it's up in the $400 range now.

Greg
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammong View Post

If the logic board is fried, the most valuable components that remain are the display, the chassis, RAM, storage devices, and charger, in that order. Problem is, without another unit to diagnose along side it, you have no idea what parts are good and what parts are bad. The display is probably OK, the chassis is definitely OK, RAM is questionable, storage devices aren't worth squat unless it's SSD, and charger is only worth a few bucks.

If the chassis is in PRISTINE condition (e.g. no scratches anywhere on it) - you might get $150 for that part alone. If it's scratched up, e.g. used and abused, it's worthless.

Probably $250-$300 is a fair offer for parts if you have an identical MBP to self-diagnose or need spares for. Apple will flat-fee repair it, but I think it's up in the $400 range now.

Greg
It's $310. I work for an AASP, I know what they charge.
Turd
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-3570k @ 4.7ghz MSI Z77 MPOWER XFX R9 290 some ram 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Intel 330 240GB Corsair H100i Windows 8 Professional Auria EQ276W 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky DK2108S MX Blue Corsair AX750 Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 Logitech MX510 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
SteelSeries QcK Audio Technica ATH-M50S Soundblaster Z 
  hide details  
Reply
Turd
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-3570k @ 4.7ghz MSI Z77 MPOWER XFX R9 290 some ram 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Intel 330 240GB Corsair H100i Windows 8 Professional Auria EQ276W 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky DK2108S MX Blue Corsair AX750 Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 Logitech MX510 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
SteelSeries QcK Audio Technica ATH-M50S Soundblaster Z 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 8
$310 -- good to know. What's it cover, everything except physically broken/damaged items like cracked screens, and bad batteries? Not a bad deal!

Greg
post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 
Thanks a lot for all the replies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylene View Post

It's $310. I work for an AASP, I know what they charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammong View Post

$310 -- good to know. What's it cover, everything except physically broken/damaged items like cracked screens, and bad batteries? Not a bad deal!

Greg

Since it has already been fixed, wouldn't they just fix for some time until it dies again?

Do I need to buy it wit any documents if I want to try an apple store?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Appraisals
Overclock.net › Forums › Overclock Marketplace › Appraisals › Appraisal: Broken Macbook pro late 2011