Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Looking for a decent 24-27" Monitor to act as both PC and XBOX One display
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for a decent 24-27" Monitor to act as both PC and XBOX One display - Page 2

post #11 of 22
There's more than a few options for $200, would need some more requirements to dish them out, such as:

-HDMI needed? (You can have both your devices use other port types so that opens up possibilities)
-Built-in speakers?
-VESA (For wall/stand mounting)?
-Response time? (Lower the better for most)
-Panel type: IPS, TN, VA-Variant. IPS has gotten cheaper, more common, and a good all arounder. High end TN panel based monitors can be justified to a degree but not at $200, you'd do yourself a disservice getting one. VA (MVA,PVA, P-MVA, AMVA, S-PVA, cPVA and S-MVA) panels can be quite a mixed bag, VA used to be pretty horrid in response times but it's gotten better in the last 2 or 3 years thereabouts and both blacks and contrast ratios are always a strong point with narrower (usually) viewing angles than IPS. I had my older Samsung F2380 that used cPVA and saw ~2850:1 static contrast ratio and black levels my 2013 plasma set only matches however it was incredibly slow and I used it for only still image work/productivity, movies were just ok, newer panels have progressed since.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanman View Post

What about this one?

AMAZON- BenQ VA GW2750HM 27-Inch Screen LED-lit Monitor

Off the bat you'd probably be pretty content with the BENQ models, a bit of overdrive shooting from the looks of it to increase responsiveness when turned on, but you might hard pressed to find anything that matches its contrast/blacks in the price range.

Check out a pretty good write up on it here
Edited by Azefore - 3/9/14 at 1:53pm
Kaga (WIP)
(22 items)
 
   
GraphicsRAMMonitorPower
1080Ti x2 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666 (64GB Total) Acer Predator X34P or Equivalent Seasonic Snow Silent - 1050w 
OtherOtherOther
Custom Acrylic Engraving Straight 8 Pin cables + Cable Combs 3x EK-Vardar F2, 2x Replacement Front 140mm 
  hide details  
Reply
Kaga (WIP)
(22 items)
 
   
GraphicsRAMMonitorPower
1080Ti x2 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666 (64GB Total) Acer Predator X34P or Equivalent Seasonic Snow Silent - 1050w 
OtherOtherOther
Custom Acrylic Engraving Straight 8 Pin cables + Cable Combs 3x EK-Vardar F2, 2x Replacement Front 140mm 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azefore View Post

There's more than a few options for $200, would need some more requirements to dish them out, such as:

-HDMI needed? (You can have both your devices use other port types so that opens up possibilities)
-Built-in speakers?
-VESA (For wall/stand mounting)?
-Response time? (Lower the better for most)
-Panel type: IPS, TN, VA-Variant. IPS has gotten cheaper, more common, and a good all arounder. High end TN panel based monitors can be justified to a degree but not at $200, you'd do yourself a disservice getting one. VA (MVA,PVA, P-MVA, AMVA, S-PVA, cPVA and S-MVA) panels can be quite a mixed bag, VA used to be pretty horrid in response times but it's gotten better in the last 2 or 3 years thereabouts and both blacks and contrast ratios are always a strong point with narrower (usually) viewing angles than IPS. I had my older Samsung F2380 that used cPVA and saw ~2850:1 static contrast ratio and black levels my 2013 plasma set only matches however it was incredibly slow and I used it for only still image work/productivity, movies were just ok, newer panels have progressed since.

-I'd like a couple of HDMI connection but I can do with 1 if it helps (planning on getting a switch as well)
-No need for built in speakers I will be using headphones
-No mount needed, I'm a box away from the desired height
-Response time - What is considered standard what is low? I'm not picky, but I wouldn't want it to affect the experience.
-Sounds like IPS is the way to go then as the only VA I saw so far is not rated that high (BenQ VA GW2750HM)

The 200$ is not a top limit, I could go a little higher, but it would need to be a good value per added money trade
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanman View Post

-I'd like a couple of HDMI connection but I can do with 1 if it helps (planning on getting a switch as well)
-No need for built in speakers I will be using headphones
-No mount needed, I'm a box away from the desired height
-Response time - What is considered standard what is low? I'm not picky, but I wouldn't want it to affect the experience.
-Sounds like IPS is the way to go then as the only VA I saw so far is not rated that high (BenQ VA GW2750HM)

The 200$ is not a top limit, I could go a little higher, but it would need to be a good value per added money trade

Well the linked BenQ would be fine on connections then (+1 for a switcher too), IPS is decent but has its flaws like everything else, TFTcentral does a good job explaining how the VA panel based BenQ makes up for its inherit slower panel. You'd be fine with either an IPS or VA based for general work. That BenQ will do much better on back light bleeding when you turn down the lights and the uniformity is decent as well.

Edit: High paced gaming I'd be worried about VA panels though even in the BenQ. It's gotten better but with a quicker FPS on the xbox one or fast camera pans you can pick up the discrepancies.
Edited by Azefore - 3/9/14 at 2:03pm
Kaga (WIP)
(22 items)
 
   
GraphicsRAMMonitorPower
1080Ti x2 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666 (64GB Total) Acer Predator X34P or Equivalent Seasonic Snow Silent - 1050w 
OtherOtherOther
Custom Acrylic Engraving Straight 8 Pin cables + Cable Combs 3x EK-Vardar F2, 2x Replacement Front 140mm 
  hide details  
Reply
Kaga (WIP)
(22 items)
 
   
GraphicsRAMMonitorPower
1080Ti x2 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666 (64GB Total) Acer Predator X34P or Equivalent Seasonic Snow Silent - 1050w 
OtherOtherOther
Custom Acrylic Engraving Straight 8 Pin cables + Cable Combs 3x EK-Vardar F2, 2x Replacement Front 140mm 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azefore View Post

Well the linked BenQ would be fine on connections then (+1 for a switcher too), IPS is decent but has its flaws like everything else, TFTcentral does a good job explaining how the VA panel based BenQ makes up for its inherit slower panel. You'd be fine with either an IPS or VA based for general work. That BenQ will do much better on back light bleeding when you turn down the lights and the uniformity is decent as well.

Edit: High paced gaming I'd be worried about VA panels though even in the BenQ. It's gotten better but with a quicker FPS on the xbox one or fast camera pans you can pick up the discrepancies.

I guess I'm a little concerned about the ghosting reported for the BenQ in question, not that I'm picky, I've played on all types of screens and notice little to no difference at all...
post #15 of 22
VAs have mediocre viewing angles and suffers from gamma shift just like the TNs.

Consider the Dell P2414H, which is IPS, 1080p, and can be OCed to 80Hz. It costs $260. (Has no HDMI port, but shouldn't be a problem with a DVI-HDMI adapter.)
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnoffel View Post

VAs have mediocre viewing angles and suffers from gamma shift just like the TNs.

Consider the Dell P2414H, which is IPS, 1080p, and can be OCed to 80Hz. It costs $260. (Has no HDMI port, but shouldn't be a problem with a DVI-HDMI adapter.)

Depends on the model, I wouldn't blanket it across the board since some VA panels do pretty well is both regards.

I'd recommend the U2312HM over the 24" variant for Dell's lineup just because it'd be 16:9 for the Xbox One, otherwise I'd recommend the same because 16:10 is great for desktop/general use.
Kaga (WIP)
(22 items)
 
   
GraphicsRAMMonitorPower
1080Ti x2 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666 (64GB Total) Acer Predator X34P or Equivalent Seasonic Snow Silent - 1050w 
OtherOtherOther
Custom Acrylic Engraving Straight 8 Pin cables + Cable Combs 3x EK-Vardar F2, 2x Replacement Front 140mm 
  hide details  
Reply
Kaga (WIP)
(22 items)
 
   
GraphicsRAMMonitorPower
1080Ti x2 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666 (64GB Total) Acer Predator X34P or Equivalent Seasonic Snow Silent - 1050w 
OtherOtherOther
Custom Acrylic Engraving Straight 8 Pin cables + Cable Combs 3x EK-Vardar F2, 2x Replacement Front 140mm 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 22
Thread Starter 
Ok took a smallish leap of faith and went with the Benq for 189.99 http://www.ncixus.com/products/?mode=productreviewread&product_id=69381

read a lot of reviews and just couldn't find anything to match it, and considering I've been doing well with a-lot of very bad monitors up to this point I believe this will be a step up for me.

I really appreciate the help and insight provided here you all, I just love these forums!
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanman View Post

Ok took a smallish leap of faith and went with the Benq for 189.99 http://www.ncixus.com/products/?mode=productreviewread&product_id=69381

read a lot of reviews and just couldn't find anything to match it, and considering I've been doing well with a-lot of very bad monitors up to this point I believe this will be a step up for me.

I really appreciate the help and insight provided here you all, I just love these forums!

Be sure to post back with your thoughts on it, I'm sure it'll be pretty nice if you're used to TN panels or cheaper monitors for the most part. I would've done Amazon just for ridiculously easy return by checking "Isn't as advertised on page" for something like this if you don't end up liking it.
Kaga (WIP)
(22 items)
 
   
GraphicsRAMMonitorPower
1080Ti x2 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666 (64GB Total) Acer Predator X34P or Equivalent Seasonic Snow Silent - 1050w 
OtherOtherOther
Custom Acrylic Engraving Straight 8 Pin cables + Cable Combs 3x EK-Vardar F2, 2x Replacement Front 140mm 
  hide details  
Reply
Kaga (WIP)
(22 items)
 
   
GraphicsRAMMonitorPower
1080Ti x2 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666 (64GB Total) Acer Predator X34P or Equivalent Seasonic Snow Silent - 1050w 
OtherOtherOther
Custom Acrylic Engraving Straight 8 Pin cables + Cable Combs 3x EK-Vardar F2, 2x Replacement Front 140mm 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 22
=DEAD='s review of the GW2750HM.

The pixel density of 1080p at 27'' isn't as sharp as it would look like on a 23''/24'' and you'll likely have to deal with black crush. Good luck.
post #20 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azefore View Post

Be sure to post back with your thoughts on it, I'm sure it'll be pretty nice if you're used to TN panels or cheaper monitors for the most part. I would've done Amazon just for ridiculously easy return by checking "Isn't as advertised on page" for something like this if you don't end up liking it.

I will be sure to provide feedback on it, Amazon has it for an extra 10$, this is the first time I order from NCIX, but seeing as they are regularly quoted here I didn't think they had an issue with returns, is there anything I should be worried about?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Looking for a decent 24-27" Monitor to act as both PC and XBOX One display