Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Windows › Motherboard Win8 Compatibility
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Motherboard Win8 Compatibility - Page 2

post #11 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by conmann View Post

Haven't been able to cause I can't get into BIOS. I don't know if it's drivers or if I'm pressing delete to slowly or what, trying to work it out.

Try clearing CMOS/resetting the BIOS (default settings).
Unplug the power cord from the wall socket or power supply, then you need to cut the power from the motherboard's back up battery.
There is either a jumper on the motherboard you need to remove or just remove the battery itself, for 30 seconds.
Then put the jumper back on or put the battery back in and plug the power cord back in.

After the BIOS is cleared/reset back to default settings, you will want to get into the BIOS and make sure you have enabled the correct setting for the SATA controlers, like enable AHCI.
ENIAC
(15 items)
 
  
Reply
ENIAC
(15 items)
 
  
Reply
post #12 of 33
Thread Starter 
It's a Biostar A760G M2+. I've tried pressing all keys that it says can change anything and only one has prevailed, something like "press shift + F10 for boot-up options" where I changed the " Show Message Time" to 5 seconds. At bootup screen it says "Press DEL for Setup" and " Press F9 for BBS" .
Budget Build
(6 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
amd athlon x2 250 biostar a760g m2+ geforce 560ti 4gb, 2gb sticks 
Optical DriveOS
cd rom windows 8 
  hide details  
Reply
Budget Build
(6 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
amd athlon x2 250 biostar a760g m2+ geforce 560ti 4gb, 2gb sticks 
Optical DriveOS
cd rom windows 8 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by conmann View Post

It's a Biostar A760G M2+. I've tried pressing all keys that it says can change anything and only one has prevailed, something like "press shift + F10 for boot-up options" where I changed the " Show Message Time" to 5 seconds. At bootup screen it says "Press DEL for Setup" and " Press F9 for BBS" .

Pressing the "Delete" key a few seconds after turning on the computer on should bring up the BIOS.
ENIAC
(15 items)
 
  
Reply
ENIAC
(15 items)
 
  
Reply
post #14 of 33
Thread Starter 
Alright made it in. Inexperience on my part was the issue. What should i set to 2T?
Budget Build
(6 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
amd athlon x2 250 biostar a760g m2+ geforce 560ti 4gb, 2gb sticks 
Optical DriveOS
cd rom windows 8 
  hide details  
Reply
Budget Build
(6 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
amd athlon x2 250 biostar a760g m2+ geforce 560ti 4gb, 2gb sticks 
Optical DriveOS
cd rom windows 8 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by conmann View Post

Alright made it in. Inexperience on my part was the issue. What should i set to 2T?

plain and simply look for memory or ram timing/speed. set the speed to 800 to ensure your ram is running at that specified speed. if you know your ram is rated for 1066mhz then set it to 1066. What maybe happening is if you skimped on the parts for the build it may already be set to 1066 and the memory is only rated for 800. Try this and let us know how it goes.

Edit: DO NOT mess around with the individual timings, only check the preset options for the speed, they should be 1066, 800, 667, or 533. pick 800
Edited by XanderTheGoober - 3/17/14 at 5:55am
post #16 of 33
Thread Starter 
The ram is only rated for 667 mhz. i have that set somewhere in the bios but can't find it at the moment. I stuck both ram sticks in last night and it lasted in the bios but i tried it this morning and it wouldn't even feed to the monitor. I took one out and now i have settings available for both like this :
DRAM Timing Mode: BOTH ( which is what it was set at last time I booted up.)
CAS Latency: 5CLK
2T Command: 2T
With everything else set to auto.
But then it brings up the same settings like:
CAS Latency: Auto
2T Command:Auto
Etc...
The options for the DRAM are Auto, DCT 0, DCT 1, Both. I am a bit confused, sorry.

Thanks all for your help!!
Budget Build
(6 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
amd athlon x2 250 biostar a760g m2+ geforce 560ti 4gb, 2gb sticks 
Optical DriveOS
cd rom windows 8 
  hide details  
Reply
Budget Build
(6 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
amd athlon x2 250 biostar a760g m2+ geforce 560ti 4gb, 2gb sticks 
Optical DriveOS
cd rom windows 8 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 33
Thread Starter 
I also switched the DCT Unganged Mode from Auto(Ganged) to Always(Unganged). And Enable Clock to ALL DIMMS is Enabled.
Edited by conmann - 3/17/14 at 7:51am
Budget Build
(6 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
amd athlon x2 250 biostar a760g m2+ geforce 560ti 4gb, 2gb sticks 
Optical DriveOS
cd rom windows 8 
  hide details  
Reply
Budget Build
(6 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
amd athlon x2 250 biostar a760g m2+ geforce 560ti 4gb, 2gb sticks 
Optical DriveOS
cd rom windows 8 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by conmann View Post

The ram is only rated for 667 mhz. i have that set somewhere in the bios but can't find it at the moment. I stuck both ram sticks in last night and it lasted in the bios but i tried it this morning and it wouldn't even feed to the monitor. I took one out and now i have settings available for both like this :
DRAM Timing Mode: BOTH ( which is what it was set at last time I booted up.)
CAS Latency: 5CLK
2T Command: 2T
With everything else set to auto.
But then it brings up the same settings like:
CAS Latency: Auto
2T Command:Auto
Etc...
The options for the DRAM are Auto, DCT 0, DCT 1, Both. I am a bit confused, sorry.

Thanks all for your help!!

If nothing feeds to the monitor from onboard video or video card it is either the power supply or motherboard.

If it were ram it would display a message about not having memory installed or have a post error
If it were the cpu it would display an error message about not having anything installed or have another error.
Hard disk wouldn't stop you from getting into the bios.
Windows issues wouldn't keep you from getting into the bios.


When it doesn't display anything what do the fans do when you turn it on? Is there any beeping coming from the board? Do you see anything weird with the board itself (bulging capacitors, burn marks)
Do you have any way of testing both components?
What is your power supply? I see in your sig rig that you have a gtx 560ti. Although you only have an athlon ii x2 (which doesn't suck much power) the gpu could throw it over its limit if the psu isn't good.

Changing from ganged to unganged mode really shouldn't matter if everything else is working properly.
Edited by salamachaa - 3/17/14 at 7:38am
Cougartown
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k asrock extreme 4 z77 powercooler r9 290 Crucial Technology  
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial Technology  Ocz agility 3 240gb Samsung Spinpoint F4EG 2 TB SATA2 5400rpm 32 MB... Light-on drive 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Windows 8.1 Seiki 39inch 4k television rosewill rk-9000 with cherry blues 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
CORSAIR Gaming Series GS700 700W ATX12V v2.3 80... Cougar Evolution Goldensunksy gaming mouse 3 dollar mouse pad from target 
Audio
TV audio 
  hide details  
Reply
Cougartown
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k asrock extreme 4 z77 powercooler r9 290 Crucial Technology  
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial Technology  Ocz agility 3 240gb Samsung Spinpoint F4EG 2 TB SATA2 5400rpm 32 MB... Light-on drive 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Windows 8.1 Seiki 39inch 4k television rosewill rk-9000 with cherry blues 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
CORSAIR Gaming Series GS700 700W ATX12V v2.3 80... Cougar Evolution Goldensunksy gaming mouse 3 dollar mouse pad from target 
Audio
TV audio 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 33
Thread Starter 
When I turned it on this morning the fans went up and I waited for the POST screen but it never came up, the fans kept running. But like I said, I pulled a ram out and it worked just fine. ( by which I mean that I made it to the bios screen)
I don't have the speaker plugged in so I couldn't answer that question. Nothing wrong with the board as far as i can tell.
Both ram sticks and both ram slots work fine, but when combined it just doesn't feed. I had it running a couple days ago, played some games with one stick in, which makes me think that it's not a gpu issue. But in an effort to get both sticks to work I flashed the bios so I could get in, which presumably is what let that happen, and now I'm stuck in the infamous, "Automatic Repair Loop" for some reason and I have yet to boot from the win8 disk to try to fix that but I'm trying to get the ram to work first.
Here's the psu.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?gclid=CLLkoovwmb0CFWxp7AodmREAvA&Item=N82E16817170010&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Power+Supplies-_-N82E16817170010&ef_id=UwvHQQAABQTDjKxy:20140317152346:s

Although I'm not sure what you mean about the gpu throwing off the cpu.
I have three adapters set up with the psu:
two adapters like this, ( for the gpu )

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=916997&gclid=CNXpwczxmb0CFenm7AodAU0AHw&Q=&is=REG&A=details

and this one, ( for the case fan cause it wouldn't reach to the mobo port )

http://www.impactcomputers.com/148-0027.html?gclid=CLLP9oHymb0CFUNo7AodcT0A8g.

Thanks for your help.
Edited by conmann - 3/17/14 at 8:47am
Budget Build
(6 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
amd athlon x2 250 biostar a760g m2+ geforce 560ti 4gb, 2gb sticks 
Optical DriveOS
cd rom windows 8 
  hide details  
Reply
Budget Build
(6 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
amd athlon x2 250 biostar a760g m2+ geforce 560ti 4gb, 2gb sticks 
Optical DriveOS
cd rom windows 8 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by conmann View Post

When I turned it on this morning the fans went up and I waited for the POST screen but it never came up, the fans kept running. But like I said, I pulled a ram out and it worked just fine. ( by which I mean that I made it to the bios screen)
I don't have the speaker plugged in so I couldn't answer that question. Nothing wrong with the board as far as i can tell.
Both ram sticks and both ram slots work fine, but when combined it just doesn't feed. I had it running a couple days ago, played some games with one stick in, which makes me think that it's not a gpu issue. But in an effort to get both sticks to work I flashed the bios so I could get in, which presumably is what let that happen, and now I'm stuck in the infamous, "Automatic Repair Loop" for some reason and I have yet to boot from the win8 disk to try to fix that but I'm trying to get the ram to work first.
Here's the psu.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?gclid=CLLkoovwmb0CFWxp7AodmREAvA&Item=N82E16817170010&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Power+Supplies-_-N82E16817170010&ef_id=UwvHQQAABQTDjKxy:20140317152346:s

Although I'm not sure what you mean about the gpu throwing off the cpu.
I have three adapters set up with the psu:
two adapters like this, ( for the gpu )

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=916997&gclid=CNXpwczxmb0CFenm7AodAU0AHw&Q=&is=REG&A=details

and this one, ( for the case fan cause it wouldn't reach to the mobo port )

http://www.impactcomputers.com/148-0027.html?gclid=CLLP9oHymb0CFUNo7AodcT0A8g.

Thanks for your help.

I am talking about power draw being too much for your power supply. I feel like the power supply is the culprit. It is only capable of delivering 25 amps on the 12 volt rail, which means it should really only be advertised for 300w usage. I probably wouldn't use it for anything more than an office pc. If you have a better power supply, try it out, but ask here before you do. I probably wouldn't try pulling more than 250w from that power supply. It seems like you are on a budget, so you should be able to get away with either of these if you don't overclock:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371033

They aren't fantastic, but they are leaps and bounds better than what you have and should be good if you don't upgrade everything and/or overclock. I really think this is a power supply issue.
Cougartown
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k asrock extreme 4 z77 powercooler r9 290 Crucial Technology  
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial Technology  Ocz agility 3 240gb Samsung Spinpoint F4EG 2 TB SATA2 5400rpm 32 MB... Light-on drive 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Windows 8.1 Seiki 39inch 4k television rosewill rk-9000 with cherry blues 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
CORSAIR Gaming Series GS700 700W ATX12V v2.3 80... Cougar Evolution Goldensunksy gaming mouse 3 dollar mouse pad from target 
Audio
TV audio 
  hide details  
Reply
Cougartown
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k asrock extreme 4 z77 powercooler r9 290 Crucial Technology  
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial Technology  Ocz agility 3 240gb Samsung Spinpoint F4EG 2 TB SATA2 5400rpm 32 MB... Light-on drive 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Windows 8.1 Seiki 39inch 4k television rosewill rk-9000 with cherry blues 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
CORSAIR Gaming Series GS700 700W ATX12V v2.3 80... Cougar Evolution Goldensunksy gaming mouse 3 dollar mouse pad from target 
Audio
TV audio 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Windows
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Windows › Motherboard Win8 Compatibility