Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Water Loop GPU Effectiveness Degrading
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Water Loop GPU Effectiveness Degrading - Page 2

post #11 of 23
What coolant were you using? Sounds like it could be one of two things to me, buildup over the VRM section of the waterblock preventing it form working properly or you're about to go through an annoying RMA process on a card that's about to die. biggrin.gif

It seems much more likely to be a buildup over the block though, if a VRM was gradually running hotter and hotter that would mean you would have had to hit a breakdown voltage on it, which could never happen on a card or you'd be hearing about a product recall and it would be on a LOT of different cards, not just yours. If the VRM was just all out defective it would just die on the spot. I find it highly unlikely that it's a defective card but just because somethings a one in a million chance doesn't mean you aren't going to be that one in a million. :I

Get back to me with what coolant you're using, glycol and CuSo4 are the cause of the infamous gunk, and deadwater is CuSo4 so you have one part of the potential problem already confirmed.
So yeah, just my 2cents.gif
The Laboratory
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z Radeon R9 290X Generic 1333MHz R.A.M. 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Wester Digital 5400RPM HP CH20L "The Russian Winter" Windows 8 
KeyboardPowerCase
Steel Series Merc Fatal1ty 1000Watt PSU DIY Rig 
  hide details  
Reply
The Laboratory
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z Radeon R9 290X Generic 1333MHz R.A.M. 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Wester Digital 5400RPM HP CH20L "The Russian Winter" Windows 8 
KeyboardPowerCase
Steel Series Merc Fatal1ty 1000Watt PSU DIY Rig 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZytheEKS View Post

What coolant were you using? Sounds like it could be one of two things to me, buildup over the VRM section of the waterblock preventing it form working properly or you're about to go through an annoying RMA process on a card that's about to die. biggrin.gif

It seems much more likely to be a buildup over the block though, if a VRM was gradually running hotter and hotter that would mean you would have had to hit a breakdown voltage on it, which could never happen on a card or you'd be hearing about a product recall and it would be on a LOT of different cards, not just yours. If the VRM was just all out defective it would just die on the spot. I find it highly unlikely that it's a defective card but just because somethings a one in a million chance doesn't mean you aren't going to be that one in a million. :I

Get back to me with what coolant you're using, glycol and CuSo4 are the cause of the infamous gunk, and deadwater is CuSo4 so you have one part of the potential problem already confirmed.
So yeah, just my 2cents.gif

Thanks for the 0.02. Distilled water with a few drops of Dead Water is all I put in it.

It sounds like the common thought is on buildup. I just don't understand how it could get so bad after only 2 weeks, when I used such simple liquid ingredients, and the water in my res looks clear. headscratch.gif
achromatic
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5-4670K MSI Z87-G45 GAMING MSI R9 290 GAMING 4G MSI R9 290 GAMING 4G 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
Corsair Vengeance LP - Black Samsung 840 EVO XSPC D5 Bay Res/Pump Combo XSPC EX360 Radiator 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC EX240 Radiator XSPC Raystorm CPU Block XSPC Razor R9 290 Full Cover Block XSPC Razor R9 290 Full Cover Block 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro QNIX QX2710 Corsair Vengeance K70 Corsair AX860 
CaseMouse
Corsair Carbide Air 540 Razer Naga 
  hide details  
Reply
achromatic
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5-4670K MSI Z87-G45 GAMING MSI R9 290 GAMING 4G MSI R9 290 GAMING 4G 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
Corsair Vengeance LP - Black Samsung 840 EVO XSPC D5 Bay Res/Pump Combo XSPC EX360 Radiator 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC EX240 Radiator XSPC Raystorm CPU Block XSPC Razor R9 290 Full Cover Block XSPC Razor R9 290 Full Cover Block 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro QNIX QX2710 Corsair Vengeance K70 Corsair AX860 
CaseMouse
Corsair Carbide Air 540 Razer Naga 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 23
Its not going to be anything blocking the loop. Gunk doesn't build up in GPU blocks because they aren't the narrowest place, the CPU block is.
Kusanagi
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570K Asus Sabertooth Z77 EVGA GTX 780 SC Corsair Vengeance Pro CMY16GX3M2A2133C11 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB X2 EK Supremacy Aqua Computer Aquaero 6 Pro Aqua Computer D5 USB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Aquacomputer MPS 400 flow meter EK-CoolStream PE 360 EK-Coolstream PE 240 Noiseblocker Eloop B12-PS 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK Vardar F2 EK-FC Titan Acetal & Nickel EK-RAM Monarch X4 Clean CSQ - Acetal+Nickel EK-D5 X-RES 140 CSQ 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit Samsung S27A750d LG E2290V-SN Silverstone Strider Plus 850W ST85F-P 
Case
Corsair Obsidian 750D 
  hide details  
Reply
Kusanagi
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570K Asus Sabertooth Z77 EVGA GTX 780 SC Corsair Vengeance Pro CMY16GX3M2A2133C11 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB X2 EK Supremacy Aqua Computer Aquaero 6 Pro Aqua Computer D5 USB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Aquacomputer MPS 400 flow meter EK-CoolStream PE 360 EK-Coolstream PE 240 Noiseblocker Eloop B12-PS 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK Vardar F2 EK-FC Titan Acetal & Nickel EK-RAM Monarch X4 Clean CSQ - Acetal+Nickel EK-D5 X-RES 140 CSQ 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit Samsung S27A750d LG E2290V-SN Silverstone Strider Plus 850W ST85F-P 
Case
Corsair Obsidian 750D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redvineal View Post

Thanks for the 0.02. Distilled water with a few drops of Dead Water is all I put in it.

It sounds like the common thought is on buildup. I just don't understand how it could get so bad after only 2 weeks, when I used such simple liquid ingredients, and the water in my res looks clear. headscratch.gif

Did you use any specific ultra pure or just store bought distilled?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakusonfire View Post

Its not going to be anything blocking the loop. Gunk doesn't build up in GPU blocks because they aren't the narrowest place, the CPU block is.

Well gunk from CuSo4 and Glycol is the result of a chem reaction which in theory could deposit itself anywhere it gets caught, not necessarily only in the most narrow part.
The Laboratory
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z Radeon R9 290X Generic 1333MHz R.A.M. 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Wester Digital 5400RPM HP CH20L "The Russian Winter" Windows 8 
KeyboardPowerCase
Steel Series Merc Fatal1ty 1000Watt PSU DIY Rig 
  hide details  
Reply
The Laboratory
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z Radeon R9 290X Generic 1333MHz R.A.M. 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Wester Digital 5400RPM HP CH20L "The Russian Winter" Windows 8 
KeyboardPowerCase
Steel Series Merc Fatal1ty 1000Watt PSU DIY Rig 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZytheEKS View Post

Did you use any specific ultra pure or just store bought distilled?
Well gunk from CuSo4 and Glycol is the result of a chem reaction which in theory could deposit itself anywhere it gets caught, not necessarily only in the most narrow part.

Straight store bought distilled water.

I'm going to start tearing down the whole loop this evening in preparation for the 900D case arrival tomorrow. While I'm at it, I'll open up the block and see what I can see. If there's any sort of build up in it, I'll open up the others and clean them out. Actually, I might do that just to be thorough along with rad and res flushing.

What about copper sulfate concentration? Could too much or too little cause an issue when mixed with straight distilled?

Based on the following images, I can see where a little build up of just about anything could block flow through narrow passages. 0.5mm copper fin gaps don't leave much room for gunk. Not sure about the "active VRM cooling" flow, but it's probably narrow...






Edited by Redvineal - 3/11/14 at 4:35am
achromatic
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5-4670K MSI Z87-G45 GAMING MSI R9 290 GAMING 4G MSI R9 290 GAMING 4G 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
Corsair Vengeance LP - Black Samsung 840 EVO XSPC D5 Bay Res/Pump Combo XSPC EX360 Radiator 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC EX240 Radiator XSPC Raystorm CPU Block XSPC Razor R9 290 Full Cover Block XSPC Razor R9 290 Full Cover Block 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro QNIX QX2710 Corsair Vengeance K70 Corsair AX860 
CaseMouse
Corsair Carbide Air 540 Razer Naga 
  hide details  
Reply
achromatic
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5-4670K MSI Z87-G45 GAMING MSI R9 290 GAMING 4G MSI R9 290 GAMING 4G 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
Corsair Vengeance LP - Black Samsung 840 EVO XSPC D5 Bay Res/Pump Combo XSPC EX360 Radiator 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC EX240 Radiator XSPC Raystorm CPU Block XSPC Razor R9 290 Full Cover Block XSPC Razor R9 290 Full Cover Block 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro QNIX QX2710 Corsair Vengeance K70 Corsair AX860 
CaseMouse
Corsair Carbide Air 540 Razer Naga 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 23
Thread Starter 
Alright, I took the water block off and tore it down last night. There didn't appear to be any type of blockage that would explain the gradual heat rise issue.

However, I did notice a thin film build up inside the "Active VRM Cooling" area. It seemed like a thin layer of oxidation, almost as if air collected in that pocket over the weeks. I was able to clean almost all of it with hot water and vinegar solution. The rest of copper plate was completely clean except for a couple tiny plastic bits and some sediment caught on the fins, but not nearly enough to cause any blockage or restriction issues.






The triangular plastic block that bridges the main core area to the VRM area had a thin white film on the water channels which cleaned off very easily. Again, not enough to cause any flow issues.



Like an idiot, though, I got so caught up in cleaning I forgot to take a picture of the film on both areas before I started cleaning! But, now that the system is up and running again, I'm happy to report max VRM temps of 56C again. I'm going to watch it closely over the next couple days to see if it starts to rise again.

Any ideas for the cause of the problem based on the explanation above? Is it possible for enough air to become trapped in the active VRM cooling area that new water doesn't flow into it? Would that have even caused such a large temp rise? Ultimately, I'm really not satisfied with what I found, and what seemed to solve the issue, but maybe I'm expecting something more dramatic like a plasticizer blockage or something!

Thanks for all the help so far, and I hope one of you has a reasonable explanation based on the new info!
achromatic
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5-4670K MSI Z87-G45 GAMING MSI R9 290 GAMING 4G MSI R9 290 GAMING 4G 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
Corsair Vengeance LP - Black Samsung 840 EVO XSPC D5 Bay Res/Pump Combo XSPC EX360 Radiator 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC EX240 Radiator XSPC Raystorm CPU Block XSPC Razor R9 290 Full Cover Block XSPC Razor R9 290 Full Cover Block 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro QNIX QX2710 Corsair Vengeance K70 Corsair AX860 
CaseMouse
Corsair Carbide Air 540 Razer Naga 
  hide details  
Reply
achromatic
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5-4670K MSI Z87-G45 GAMING MSI R9 290 GAMING 4G MSI R9 290 GAMING 4G 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
Corsair Vengeance LP - Black Samsung 840 EVO XSPC D5 Bay Res/Pump Combo XSPC EX360 Radiator 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC EX240 Radiator XSPC Raystorm CPU Block XSPC Razor R9 290 Full Cover Block XSPC Razor R9 290 Full Cover Block 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro QNIX QX2710 Corsair Vengeance K70 Corsair AX860 
CaseMouse
Corsair Carbide Air 540 Razer Naga 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 23
It sounds like you have a little bit of plasticizer possibly getting deposited over the area. Could be other things as well. If you had some air trapped, that could explain why it is all there and not in the rest of your loop. If everything else looked clean elsewhere, I wouldn't worry much about it. Only if you have issues again would I worry about it.

Make sure you get a good bleed done. Glad it seems to be an easy fix and not an RMA.
Desk Rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K P67A-GD65 (MS-7681) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 32 Gb 1600 DDR3 HyperX 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 256 SSD Samsung 1TB SSD 2 Hitachi 3TB 7.2k in RAID 1 2 Monsta 560mm 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
2 Magicool Dual 180s W7 Dell 3014 30" EVGA Supernova 1300 
CaseAudio
Built into furniture Soundblaster 
  hide details  
Reply
Desk Rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K P67A-GD65 (MS-7681) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 32 Gb 1600 DDR3 HyperX 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 256 SSD Samsung 1TB SSD 2 Hitachi 3TB 7.2k in RAID 1 2 Monsta 560mm 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
2 Magicool Dual 180s W7 Dell 3014 30" EVGA Supernova 1300 
CaseAudio
Built into furniture Soundblaster 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redvineal View Post

Alright, I took the water block off and tore it down last night. There didn't appear to be any type of blockage that would explain the gradual heat rise issue.

However, I did notice a thin film build up inside the "Active VRM Cooling" area. It seemed like a thin layer of oxidation, almost as if air collected in that pocket over the weeks. I was able to clean almost all of it with hot water and vinegar solution. The rest of copper plate was completely clean except for a couple tiny plastic bits and some sediment caught on the fins, but not nearly enough to cause any blockage or restriction issues.






The triangular plastic block that bridges the main core area to the VRM area had a thin white film on the water channels which cleaned off very easily. Again, not enough to cause any flow issues.



Like an idiot, though, I got so caught up in cleaning I forgot to take a picture of the film on both areas before I started cleaning! But, now that the system is up and running again, I'm happy to report max VRM temps of 56C again. I'm going to watch it closely over the next couple days to see if it starts to rise again.

Any ideas for the cause of the problem based on the explanation above? Is it possible for enough air to become trapped in the active VRM cooling area that new water doesn't flow into it? Would that have even caused such a large temp rise? Ultimately, I'm really not satisfied with what I found, and what seemed to solve the issue, but maybe I'm expecting something more dramatic like a plasticizer blockage or something!

Thanks for all the help so far, and I hope one of you has a reasonable explanation based on the new info!

Sounds like your typical case of scaling. Basically little particles in your loop can deposit themselves onto areas and create an insulating film causing a loss in heat transfer. Usually the performance drop is a LOT less than you were seeing, but then again the R9 290(x) runs EXTREMELY hot so I could see it happening. You might want to switch to Primochill's Primoflex Advanced LRT. Basically tubing has whats called plasticizers, most all flexible tubing has them. If it doesn't have them it's going to be VERY stiff. Depending on the tubing some will be far more likely to leech these little particles into your liquid. The white film sounds similar to what I had on my cleanup a while ago, which was plasticizers. So again, I'd recommend switching to Primoflex Advanced LRT as it has a reputation for typically taking several years before it will start leeching notable amounts of plasticizers.

Hope that helps.
The Laboratory
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z Radeon R9 290X Generic 1333MHz R.A.M. 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Wester Digital 5400RPM HP CH20L "The Russian Winter" Windows 8 
KeyboardPowerCase
Steel Series Merc Fatal1ty 1000Watt PSU DIY Rig 
  hide details  
Reply
The Laboratory
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z Radeon R9 290X Generic 1333MHz R.A.M. 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Wester Digital 5400RPM HP CH20L "The Russian Winter" Windows 8 
KeyboardPowerCase
Steel Series Merc Fatal1ty 1000Watt PSU DIY Rig 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaf Jam View Post

It sounds like you have a little bit of plasticizer possibly getting deposited over the area. Could be other things as well. If you had some air trapped, that could explain why it is all there and not in the rest of your loop. If everything else looked clean elsewhere, I wouldn't worry much about it. Only if you have issues again would I worry about it.

Make sure you get a good bleed done. Glad it seems to be an easy fix and not an RMA.

So I guess we'll never know the real cause. I'll just have to get over it and live with it. hehe

Thanks for all the help and guidance. By the way, I decided to buy 10ft of Primochill Advanced LRT that will be arriving tomorrow. I figured if this was somehow caused by plasticizer, I should spend the $25 and get the best tubing I can.

Anyways, I'm putting off my 900D rebuild until the weekend. That will give me a few days to monitor the temps after my efforts last night.

Thanks again!
achromatic
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5-4670K MSI Z87-G45 GAMING MSI R9 290 GAMING 4G MSI R9 290 GAMING 4G 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
Corsair Vengeance LP - Black Samsung 840 EVO XSPC D5 Bay Res/Pump Combo XSPC EX360 Radiator 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC EX240 Radiator XSPC Raystorm CPU Block XSPC Razor R9 290 Full Cover Block XSPC Razor R9 290 Full Cover Block 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro QNIX QX2710 Corsair Vengeance K70 Corsair AX860 
CaseMouse
Corsair Carbide Air 540 Razer Naga 
  hide details  
Reply
achromatic
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5-4670K MSI Z87-G45 GAMING MSI R9 290 GAMING 4G MSI R9 290 GAMING 4G 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
Corsair Vengeance LP - Black Samsung 840 EVO XSPC D5 Bay Res/Pump Combo XSPC EX360 Radiator 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC EX240 Radiator XSPC Raystorm CPU Block XSPC Razor R9 290 Full Cover Block XSPC Razor R9 290 Full Cover Block 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro QNIX QX2710 Corsair Vengeance K70 Corsair AX860 
CaseMouse
Corsair Carbide Air 540 Razer Naga 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZytheEKS View Post

Sounds like your typical case of scaling. Basically little particles in your loop can deposit themselves onto areas and create an insulating film causing a loss in heat transfer. Usually the performance drop is a LOT less than you were seeing, but then again the R9 290(x) runs EXTREMELY hot so I could see it happening. You might want to switch to Primochill's Primoflex Advanced LRT. Basically tubing has whats called plasticizers, most all flexible tubing has them. If it doesn't have them it's going to be VERY stiff. Depending on the tubing some will be far more likely to leech these little particles into your liquid. The white film sounds similar to what I had on my cleanup a while ago, which was plasticizers. So again, I'd recommend switching to Primoflex Advanced LRT as it has a reputation for typically taking several years before it will start leeching notable amounts of plasticizers.

Hope that helps.

It certainly does help. I agree the film that I found was probably causing some insulation. But, like you, I wouldn't think it would have such a large effect. Also, it's odd that it was affecting only 1 of 3 blocks.

Oh well, it is whatever it is, and it's fixed now. So I'll be pacified until temps stay the way they are for another 2-3 weeks.

Thanks for all the help!
achromatic
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5-4670K MSI Z87-G45 GAMING MSI R9 290 GAMING 4G MSI R9 290 GAMING 4G 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
Corsair Vengeance LP - Black Samsung 840 EVO XSPC D5 Bay Res/Pump Combo XSPC EX360 Radiator 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC EX240 Radiator XSPC Raystorm CPU Block XSPC Razor R9 290 Full Cover Block XSPC Razor R9 290 Full Cover Block 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro QNIX QX2710 Corsair Vengeance K70 Corsair AX860 
CaseMouse
Corsair Carbide Air 540 Razer Naga 
  hide details  
Reply
achromatic
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5-4670K MSI Z87-G45 GAMING MSI R9 290 GAMING 4G MSI R9 290 GAMING 4G 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
Corsair Vengeance LP - Black Samsung 840 EVO XSPC D5 Bay Res/Pump Combo XSPC EX360 Radiator 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC EX240 Radiator XSPC Raystorm CPU Block XSPC Razor R9 290 Full Cover Block XSPC Razor R9 290 Full Cover Block 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro QNIX QX2710 Corsair Vengeance K70 Corsair AX860 
CaseMouse
Corsair Carbide Air 540 Razer Naga 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Water Loop GPU Effectiveness Degrading