Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Linux, Unix › Decent linux encrypted folder lockers for cloud use?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Decent linux encrypted folder lockers for cloud use?

post #1 of 32
Thread Starter 
Im wanting to archive some folders to my cloud drive. Of course 'my' cloud drive is someone else’s hard drive rolleyes.gif

Even though the files are just photo's and nothing too sensitive, Im not keen on certain companies policies of meta sweeping and location, facial tagging practices. It also helps if my account is hacked. I want a good folder locker / encryption for Linux. I have tried cryptkeeper but that is only for local and as such cannot be submitted in encrypted form. Perhaps the answer is to zip up the files and put a password on the zip? Not sure that's very robust.

I don’t want to use Truecrypt as its not true FLOSS and i don't 100% trust it after the recent suggestions of potential backdoors.


any ideas welcome. please don't act high and mighty about why its important, lots of people feel (perhaps artificially) comfortable with locked or encrypted data in the cloud its not just businesses that want these features and its essential as a proper offsite backup that my data is contained to a good level.

thanks
Edited by Pip Boy - 3/10/14 at 8:39am
post #2 of 32
You could try EncFS. It's similar to Truecrypt but you don't need root privileges to mount the encrypted folders.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/EncFS#Usage
The Rig of Power
(18 items)
 
First Build
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 3930k Asus P9X79 Pro nVidia 9800 GT nVidia 9800 GT 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair XMS3 WD Black WD Blue WD Raptor 10,000 RPM 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Corsair Force 3 SSD Seagate Corsiar H80 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2311H Logitech G19 Corsair TX750 Corsair 650D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G500 Logitech G51 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Amd Phenom II X3 Asus M4a785TD-V EVO NVIDIA 9800GTX 4 GB G.skill DDR3 @ 1333 mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD blue250,350(boot,games) WD 1TB black(storage) windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Dell U2311h Logitech G19 
PowerCaseMouse
500 Watt smilidon Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
The Rig of Power
(18 items)
 
First Build
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 3930k Asus P9X79 Pro nVidia 9800 GT nVidia 9800 GT 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair XMS3 WD Black WD Blue WD Raptor 10,000 RPM 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Corsair Force 3 SSD Seagate Corsiar H80 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2311H Logitech G19 Corsair TX750 Corsair 650D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G500 Logitech G51 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Amd Phenom II X3 Asus M4a785TD-V EVO NVIDIA 9800GTX 4 GB G.skill DDR3 @ 1333 mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD blue250,350(boot,games) WD 1TB black(storage) windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Dell U2311h Logitech G19 
PowerCaseMouse
500 Watt smilidon Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 32
I'm not sure you can have an encrypted folder over cloud storage as you'd need file system access to do that (mounted network folders are really a pseudo-file system). Something like GPG might work for the files though.
post #4 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullinator View Post

You could try EncFS. It's similar to Truecrypt but you don't need root privileges to mount the encrypted folders.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/EncFS#Usage

thanks.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

I'm not sure you can have an encrypted folder over cloud storage as you'd need file system access to do that (mounted network folders are really a pseudo-file system). Something like GPG might work for the files though.

I have sorted it thanks smile.gif
post #5 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by phill1978 View Post

thanks.
I have sorted it thanks smile.gif

Using what?
post #6 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

Using what?

well, its probably a bit crap ( im sure you will let me know ) but i read that z7 can use 256bit AES encryption and in some cases is actually more secure than truecrypt although it uses a similar implementation. so i have dual zipped it with two layers of 256bit aes passwords with a decent lengh key. given that its just family photo's im sure its enough to protect from a casual hackers brute force, in theory each lock will give me 30years, so in reality given increased in computing power that 60 years will be 30 - 40 all told for now.. until something better comes along im sure that will be fine, oh and of course its not publicly visible and and its on a cloud service i trust in my own account. but if you told me that was pointless id reconsider and try something else..
Edited by Pip Boy - 3/10/14 at 11:44am
post #7 of 32
Why go through so much trouble over simple photo's? If someone hacks your account ( unlikely ), they aren't worried about photo's or any non-sensitive information. They'd be more interested in your account information than anything else to build up a good amount of information for a dox ( real name, addresses, credit card information, social security information, emails and passwords to other places, different handles and information for them, etc ). And unless you've pissed off a cracker personally they aren't going to target specific accounts in the majority of cases.

If you're just worried about meta snooping then just compress the files and call it a day.
post #8 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by phill1978 View Post

well, its probably a bit crap ( im sure you will let me know ) but i read that z7 can use 256bit AES encryption and in some cases is actually more secure than truecrypt although it uses a similar implementation. so i have dual zipped it with two layers of 256bit aes passwords with a decent lengh key. given that its just family photo's im sure its enough to protect from a casual hackers brute force, in theory each lock will give me 30years, so in reality given increased in computing power that 60 years will be 30 - 40 all told for now.. until something better comes along im sure that will be fine, oh and of course its not publicly visible and and its on a cloud service i trust in my own account. but if you told me that was pointless id reconsider and try something else..
There's nothing wrong with z7. Out of the options you were considering, it was the best one. I don't think you'd really need to double archive your files unless you genuinely have some sensitive information that you're paranoid about, and if that's the case then you'd be better off with GPG which would encrypt your files with a 2048bit certificate.

The question is do you really need that level of encryption? If not, then why bother double archiving the files?

Also, and I'm sure you know this already, but you're not going to save much space by compressing the files. Most of the popular image formats are compressed already and while 7z will find some compression optimisations that JPEG / PNG don't include, compressing it a second time wont make the file size any smaller. So the only gain would be a 2nd password. But as I said, I'm sure you already knew this; I just wanted to explore all the benefits and drawbacks smile.gif

A a side note: I was secretly hoping you'd found a way to prove me wrong and managed to get a Truecrypt-like daemon working on Dropbox / whatever. It would have been pretty handy if it was possible frown.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrak View Post

Why go through so much trouble over simple photo's? If someone hacks your account ( unlikely ), they aren't worried about photo's or any non-sensitive information. They'd be more interested in your account information than anything else to build up a good amount of information for a dox ( real name, addresses, credit card information, social security information, emails and passwords to other places, different handles and information for them, etc ). And unless you've pissed off a cracker personally they aren't going to target specific accounts in the majority of cases.

If you're just worried about meta snooping then just compress the files and call it a day.
I doubt compressing the files wouldn't stop meta snooping.
post #9 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

There's nothing wrong with z7. Out of the options you were considering, it was the best one. I don't think you'd really need to double archive your files unless you genuinely have some sensitive information that you're paranoid about, and if that's the case then you'd be better off with GPG which would encrypt your files with a 2048bit certificate.

The question is do you really need that level of encryption? If not, then why bother double archiving the files?

yes and no. the 2nd zip only took a matter of seconds its really no hardship to unzip one and then another, but yes its overkill. it was just experimentation, i will most likely just run with one lock. are personal files important? even just family photo's of loved ones.. put it this way, even though they are probably dull as ditch water would you want some random from any country in the world pouring over photos of your wife, nephew or niece ? you might, i dont.. but i do want offsite backups in case of fire , flood etc..

Quote:
Also, and I'm sure you know this already, but you're not going to save much space by compressing the files. Most of the popular image formats are compressed already and while 7z will find some compression optimisations that JPEG / PNG don't include, compressing it a second time wont make the file size any smaller. So the only gain would be a 2nd password. But as I said, I'm sure you already knew this; I just wanted to explore all the benefits and drawbacks smile.gif

Actually i was quite surprised here i actually saved 10% more on first zip and they were already jpegs. as i mentioned the 2nd zip was a trival thing to do and i probably wont end up using this unless the files are really sensitive.

Quote:
A a side note: I was secretly hoping you'd found a way to prove me wrong and managed to get a Truecrypt-like daemon working on Dropbox / whatever. It would have been pretty handy if it was possible frown.gif

a few months ago i managed to get proper cryptkeeper files fully encrypted onto the cloud but the issue was that the provider i was using didn’t allow big file downloads in bulk and so i would of had to separate the folders. but yes, it is possible to do and i cant remember how but it was a fiddle and knowhere near as clean as z7.
Edited by Pip Boy - 3/10/14 at 2:55pm
post #10 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrak View Post

Why go through so much trouble over simple photo's? If someone hacks your account ( unlikely ), they aren't worried about photo's or any non-sensitive information. They'd be more interested in your account information than anything else to build up a good amount of information for a dox ( real name, addresses, credit card information, social security information, emails and passwords to other places, different handles and information for them, etc ). And unless you've pissed off a cracker personally they aren't going to target specific accounts in the majority of cases.

If you're just worried about meta snooping then just compress the files and call it a day.

see above, its so freakin easy to zip and encrypt using an archive manager that unless your the sort of person who uses cloud to access files on the go ( with photo's why not have them on your device physically if you need to see them so much) or share images then it makes sense to simply lock your uploaded content. I consider the cloud like the rest of the internet these days.. privacy is fairly dead as a concept and your asking everyone to behave and not mess around with your data that;s being stored in many cases for free and in different countries on other peoples HDD's .. so yea, a bit of precaution is worthy. I only use cloud as a temporary off site backup not some social media sharing outlet.

Now I understand what your saying Mr Shrak but we all have our differing levels of acceptability when it comes to this, ive made my peace with online data.. its always a risk, you just need to mitigate that risk as much as possible if the trade off is a lifetime of protected important memories.
Edited by Pip Boy - 3/10/14 at 3:03pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Linux, Unix
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Linux, Unix › Decent linux encrypted folder lockers for cloud use?