Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [joystiq] Titanfall PC's 48GB install the result of uncompressed audio
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[joystiq] Titanfall PC's 48GB install the result of uncompressed audio - Page 11

post #101 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlocke View Post

Lossless audio is easily worth it though.... It's a massive massive difference on higher end equipment. Though, I feel lossless audio should be optional for people using lower end equipment.

But yes, Lossless audio is rather big... but when people spend thousands of dollars on audio equipment the size is easily justifiable.

There's a big difference between lossless compression and uncompressed audio though. They could've easily compressed the audio in a lossless format for the highest sound quality and smaller size, but they chose not to compress it at all to avoid having to decompress it.

They don't even say that the audio is that great or that there are any benefits to the sound over MP3 (the uncompressed source might not even be noticeably hurt by compression depending on the original quality), it seems to be purely a matter of performance. Considering that any modern PC can decompress audio with extreme ease, I think this is a BS claim. Not to mention that this will massively inflate HDD usage, both in terms of space and in terms of activity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by un-nefer View Post

Even if the audio used was recorded at 24bit/192kHz, it would only need a HDD that has a minimum read speed of 0.55MB/sec per audio channel - and even if you multiply that by 8 (assuming Titanfall uses 7.1 audio) the HDD will only need a minimum read speed of 4,4MB/sec - and that speed is easily supported by pretty much all HDDs for the past decade and will definitely not "thrash" a HDD wink.gif

Sure, that's true if it's reading from a single audio file, but if they're reading from multiple places at once, it's a different story. Depends entirely on how they've set up the audio files.
Edited by B!0HaZard - 3/11/14 at 8:16pm
M1XN
(18 items)
 
Study Zenbook
(5 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770K @ 4.2 GHz ASUS Maximus VI Impact MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G 2x8 GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 @ 2400 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M4 64 GB Crucial M4 128 GB SAMSUNG Spinpoint M9T 2 TB LiteOn DL-8ATSH 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NH-C14 Windows 10 64-bit ViewSonic VP2770 Vortex Pok3r 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair SF600 NCASE M1 V2.5 Logitech G502 SteelSeries QcK+ 
AudioOther
HiFiMan HE-400 Logitech C920 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i5-3317 GT 620M 2 GB soldered + 8 GB Corsair OCZ Vertex 3 120 
OS
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
  hide details  
Reply
M1XN
(18 items)
 
Study Zenbook
(5 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770K @ 4.2 GHz ASUS Maximus VI Impact MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G 2x8 GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 @ 2400 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M4 64 GB Crucial M4 128 GB SAMSUNG Spinpoint M9T 2 TB LiteOn DL-8ATSH 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NH-C14 Windows 10 64-bit ViewSonic VP2770 Vortex Pok3r 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair SF600 NCASE M1 V2.5 Logitech G502 SteelSeries QcK+ 
AudioOther
HiFiMan HE-400 Logitech C920 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i5-3317 GT 620M 2 GB soldered + 8 GB Corsair OCZ Vertex 3 120 
OS
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
  hide details  
Reply
post #102 of 152
50GB out of my 2x4tb hard drives. Oh no. Seriously, all these people complaining about how they should compress it for high end rigs...if you have a "high end rig", how about spending 100$ and getting a 3TB hard drive for games? Is it necessary for the files to be this big, no it is not. But they are that size and that's not going to change. We've known for weeks that the install was 48gb and frankly I would rather it be uncompressed audio then DLC.
post #103 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8800GT View Post

50GB out of my 2x4tb hard drives. Oh no. Seriously, all these people complaining about how they should compress it for high end rigs...if you have a "high end rig", how about spending 100$ and getting a 3TB hard drive for games? Is it necessary for the files to be this big, no it is not. But they are that size and that's not going to change. We've known for weeks that the install was 48gb and frankly I would rather it be uncompressed audio then DLC.

You are assuming they will install it on a HDD. Its a big problem for SSD. Basically you are taking $50 worth of SSD space lol if you have a 120GB SSD.
Ishimura
(21 items)
 
Silent Knight
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz ASRock Z77E-ITX eVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid AMD Radeon R9 16GB DDR3-2400MHz  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB Toshiba X300 5TB Corsair H100i GTX eVGA Hybrid Water Cooler  
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
4x GentleTyphoon AP-15 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Philips Brilliance BDM4065UC 4K Razer BlackWidow Chroma  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
eVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 Define Nano S Logitech G502 Proteus Core PECHAM Gaming Mouse Pad XX-Large 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Audioengine D1 DAC Mackie CR Series CR3 Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Sennheiser HD 598 
Audio
Sony XB950BT 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 4.2GHz ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB @ 1200/1500 2x 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 60GB WD Caviar Green 1.5TB 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB XSPC Raystorm 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
EK-FC7970 XSPC RS360 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Corsair TX750 
Case
NZXT Switch 810  
  hide details  
Reply
Ishimura
(21 items)
 
Silent Knight
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz ASRock Z77E-ITX eVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid AMD Radeon R9 16GB DDR3-2400MHz  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB Toshiba X300 5TB Corsair H100i GTX eVGA Hybrid Water Cooler  
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
4x GentleTyphoon AP-15 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Philips Brilliance BDM4065UC 4K Razer BlackWidow Chroma  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
eVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 Define Nano S Logitech G502 Proteus Core PECHAM Gaming Mouse Pad XX-Large 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Audioengine D1 DAC Mackie CR Series CR3 Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Sennheiser HD 598 
Audio
Sony XB950BT 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 4.2GHz ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB @ 1200/1500 2x 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 60GB WD Caviar Green 1.5TB 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB XSPC Raystorm 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
EK-FC7970 XSPC RS360 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Corsair TX750 
Case
NZXT Switch 810  
  hide details  
Reply
post #104 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post

You are assuming they will install it on a HDD. Its a big problem for SSD. Basically you are taking $50 worth of SSD space lol if you have a 120GB SSD.

This. Just took up almost all the remaining space on my ssd. Good thing I just ordered another.
My System
(23 items)
 
Laptop
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3770K MAXIMUS V EXTREME 980ti 32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 Samsung 840 EVO  Samsung 850 Pro 1TB WD Black 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 EVO XSPC RayStorm XSPC EX480 w/8 Corsair AF120 (Push/Pull) XSPC EX480 w4 Corsair SP120 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
XSPC Photon 270 Performance-PCs Über 655  W10 Pro  Asus PG279Q 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VE276Q Corsair K70 RGB Corsair AX850 Corsair 900D 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G600 Steelseries 9HD Logitech Z623 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
Intel i7- 3610QM G75VW NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M SSD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOS
HDD 7200 Panasonic UJ 260 Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(23 items)
 
Laptop
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3770K MAXIMUS V EXTREME 980ti 32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 Samsung 840 EVO  Samsung 850 Pro 1TB WD Black 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 EVO XSPC RayStorm XSPC EX480 w/8 Corsair AF120 (Push/Pull) XSPC EX480 w4 Corsair SP120 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
XSPC Photon 270 Performance-PCs Über 655  W10 Pro  Asus PG279Q 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VE276Q Corsair K70 RGB Corsair AX850 Corsair 900D 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G600 Steelseries 9HD Logitech Z623 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
Intel i7- 3610QM G75VW NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M SSD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOS
HDD 7200 Panasonic UJ 260 Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit 
  hide details  
Reply
post #105 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by theturbofd View Post

You can easily tell this forum went down the drain. All you see is "COD clone" everywhere but yet they state all the differences themselves. It's like do the idiots even know what they're saying b4 they say it?
Or some of us have higher standards. Who cares though when you can just call someone a hater or haters gonna hate loliwinulosemyopiniononlymatterstitnfallgotyelitepremiumedition420swagyoloxxx.
alive
(18 items)
 
 
FreeofNas
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 Asrock Z75 Sapphire HD 7950 Kingston Hyper X 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 Seagate Barracuda 1tb Corsair H55 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Asus VW246H Dell 24 inch Dell 24 inch Razer blackwidow 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair 750 NZXT S340 Mionix Naos 3200 Teac AG-V1050 A/V Stereo Receiver 
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Xeon E5345 HD 5450 8GB 667 mhz ecc ram Western digital 500gb blue 
OS
windows 7 ultimate 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel E7400 INTEL DP35DP GT 430 Hynix 8GB PC2-6400 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Seagate 80GB  Seagate 1TB Western Digital Green 2TB Freenas 
PowerCase
EVGA 430 watt NZXT Source 210 
  hide details  
Reply
alive
(18 items)
 
 
FreeofNas
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 Asrock Z75 Sapphire HD 7950 Kingston Hyper X 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 Seagate Barracuda 1tb Corsair H55 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Asus VW246H Dell 24 inch Dell 24 inch Razer blackwidow 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair 750 NZXT S340 Mionix Naos 3200 Teac AG-V1050 A/V Stereo Receiver 
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Xeon E5345 HD 5450 8GB 667 mhz ecc ram Western digital 500gb blue 
OS
windows 7 ultimate 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel E7400 INTEL DP35DP GT 430 Hynix 8GB PC2-6400 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Seagate 80GB  Seagate 1TB Western Digital Green 2TB Freenas 
PowerCase
EVGA 430 watt NZXT Source 210 
  hide details  
Reply
post #106 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Saved View Post

Why do i get the feeling that they did this to try and "discourage" pirates?

huh.......

Wow, I can't believe this didn't cross my mind. You sir are a true cynic. thumb.gif
Phantom
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i- 2500k @ 4.5Ghz ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 MSI Gaming 4G GTX 980 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 2x4 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M-4 256GB ASUS DRW Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo+ Win 7 Home 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ViewSonic VX2453mh-LED 23.6"  Razer BlackWidow NZXT Hale90 850W NZXT Phantom Black w/ Orange Trim 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G400 Steelseries S&S Creative Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
Phantom
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i- 2500k @ 4.5Ghz ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 MSI Gaming 4G GTX 980 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 2x4 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M-4 256GB ASUS DRW Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo+ Win 7 Home 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ViewSonic VX2453mh-LED 23.6"  Razer BlackWidow NZXT Hale90 850W NZXT Phantom Black w/ Orange Trim 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G400 Steelseries S&S Creative Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #107 of 152
There should really be an option to download it with compressed audio. If you have a dual core, you should just face the fact that you need to upgrade by this point.
post #108 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Dizzle View Post

Yes, "facts". It's the same except for all the ways it's different. Gotcha.

Haters gonna hate.

After going through this entire thread and reading all your replies I couldn't figure out if you were a troll or fanboy.

The "Haters" are right to some degree and wrong.

First Respawn Entertainment was the result of infinity ward the makers of Call of Duty splitting up. So yes naturally the game is gonna feel like call of duty. In terms of it's gun mechanics. I didn't get to play much of the "beta". The time I did play it was fun. I've gone through the unreal scene, the CS scene, battlefield scene, and COD scene. Those games are good fun to me for 30minutes to an hour. Battlefield on the other hand all the way back to bf 1942 captured me for hours on end. I would always want to play just one more game. The CS scene I just grew out of. Is CS:GO a bad game? No. But it's the same thing as CS 1.6. Valve recognized this and it was really to get the competitive scene finally off CS 1.6. Not only that but they priced the game at $15 they didn't do anything new they just did small iterations. Call of Duty? That scene for me didn't last long call of duty 4 was not the last great game. Because every call of duty infinity ward was the same thing. It was not only the same thing. But to add to insult. They ripped out dedicated servers, ripped out modding, raised the price, then charged for DLC packs. It was the same thing but less of it and was more expensive. They did this over and over again.

Sure someone that has never played the franchise would pay the $60 and get many hours of fun out of it. For me? I'm not gonna keep paying $60 that adds no value.

As for titanfall is it worth $60? Absolutely. If you've haven't played many FPS games. For those of us who have? Yea titanfall does do things differently. The free-running is not different but it's something we haven't seen in a while. Or at least done well. The titans I didn't get to play much but didn't really seem to add much to the game. Towards the end people just started playing the game without them. SImply because you are more effective without them. the titans are nothing to be feared. Maybe that's a good thing? I'm not sure. If you don't "feel" more powerful in a titan why would you use it? I have this itching feeling as the game ages most people won't be using titans. That's just speculation though. The AI in multiplayer was different but felt weird. They didn't have a place. You could literally ignore them most of the time. Honestly I think they were added because of the 6v6 limit. The maps would've felt empty without them. So I guess they're just filler? They don't really add much. The cards or whatever you got. Seemed like an extra layer of depth to the game. They honestly just seemed like a variant of kill streaks. More importantly not ridiculous like kill streaks. LOL NUKES ANYONE?

No I'm just kidding. I don't mean any negativity towards the pro-nukers.

Bottom line: Are you wanting to pay $60 for the same experience you've had over the last decade? If not don't buy it. If so then THAT'S OK. Have you just entered the FPS scene? Any people 18 or younger? For those two groups I'm sure you will get your $60 worth and more. For me? I'll wait till it's at the $20 range. Because it'll be one of those games I play now and again in 30min to an 1hr bursts.
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 @ 4.0Ghz Asus P6T EVGA GTX 680 4GB G.Skill 3x2GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black Windows 10 Home 64bit LG 30" 2560x1600 CMSTORM Quickfire Tenkeyless 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair TX750 watt Haf 932 Razer Deathadder AD700x 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 @ 4.0Ghz Asus P6T EVGA GTX 680 4GB G.Skill 3x2GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black Windows 10 Home 64bit LG 30" 2560x1600 CMSTORM Quickfire Tenkeyless 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair TX750 watt Haf 932 Razer Deathadder AD700x 
  hide details  
Reply
post #109 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts91 View Post

After going through this entire thread and reading all your replies I couldn't figure out if you were a troll or fanboy.

The "Haters" are right to some degree and wrong.

First Respawn Entertainment was the result of infinity ward the makers of Call of Duty splitting up. So yes naturally the game is gonna feel like call of duty. In terms of it's gun mechanics. I didn't get to play much of the "beta". The time I did play it was fun. I've gone through the unreal scene, the CS scene, battlefield scene, and COD scene. Those games are good fun to me for 30minutes to an hour. Battlefield on the other hand all the way back to bf 1942 captured me for hours on end. I would always want to play just one more game. The CS scene I just grew out of. Is CS:GO a bad game? No. But it's the same thing as CS 1.6. Valve recognized this and it was really to get the competitive scene finally off CS 1.6. Not only that but they priced the game at $15 they didn't do anything new they just did small iterations. Call of Duty? That scene for me didn't last long call of duty 4 was not the last great game. Because every call of duty infinity ward was the same thing. It was not only the same thing. But to add to insult. They ripped out dedicated servers, ripped out modding, raised the price, then charged for DLC packs. It was the same thing but less of it and was more expensive. They did this over and over again.

Sure someone that has never played the franchise would pay the $60 and get many hours of fun out of it. For me? I'm not gonna keep paying $60 that adds no value.

As for titanfall is it worth $60? Absolutely. If you've haven't played many FPS games. For those of us who have? Yea titanfall does do things differently. The free-running is not different but it's something we haven't seen in a while. Or at least done well. The titans I didn't get to play much but didn't really seem to add much to the game. Towards the end people just started playing the game without them. SImply because you are more effective without them. the titans are nothing to be feared. Maybe that's a good thing? I'm not sure. If you don't "feel" more powerful in a titan why would you use it? I have this itching feeling as the game ages most people won't be using titans. That's just speculation though. The AI in multiplayer was different but felt weird. They didn't have a place. You could literally ignore them most of the time. Honestly I think they were added because of the 6v6 limit. The maps would've felt empty without them. So I guess they're just filler? They don't really add much. The cards or whatever you got. Seemed like an extra layer of depth to the game. They honestly just seemed like a variant of kill streaks. More importantly not ridiculous like kill streaks. LOL NUKES ANYONE?

No I'm just kidding. I don't mean any negativity towards the pro-nukers.

Bottom line: Are you wanting to pay $60 for the same experience you've had over the last decade? If not don't buy it. If so then THAT'S OK. Have you just entered the FPS scene? Any people 18 or younger? For those two groups I'm sure you will get your $60 worth and more. For me? I'll wait till it's at the $20 range. Because it'll be one of those games I play now and again in 30min to an 1hr bursts.

tl;dr, honestly. Read the first sentence - that's about it. The game is different, regardless of what you say. By your flawed logic, every FPS is the same. I don't have to defend that because I'm not the only one who has said it. As I said, haters gonna hate.
Biggus D.
(18 items)
 
Leo Laporte
(13 items)
 
Shooter McGavin
(24 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 Thuban 1090T @ 4GHz Asus Crosshair IV Formula 2x5870 in CrossfireX 2x4GB OCZ GOLD 1333MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x1TB Samsung Spinpoint, 2x1TB Seagate Barracuda Samsung Super Multi + Samsung BluRay LS Windows 7 Ultimate x64 2 x Samsung 2494SW 24'' 16:9 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Arctosa Silver Silverstone Strider ST-1000 Coolermaster HAF X Steelseries Kinzu 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 11.5x12.2 Surface 
  hide details  
Reply
Biggus D.
(18 items)
 
Leo Laporte
(13 items)
 
Shooter McGavin
(24 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 Thuban 1090T @ 4GHz Asus Crosshair IV Formula 2x5870 in CrossfireX 2x4GB OCZ GOLD 1333MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x1TB Samsung Spinpoint, 2x1TB Seagate Barracuda Samsung Super Multi + Samsung BluRay LS Windows 7 Ultimate x64 2 x Samsung 2494SW 24'' 16:9 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Arctosa Silver Silverstone Strider ST-1000 Coolermaster HAF X Steelseries Kinzu 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 11.5x12.2 Surface 
  hide details  
Reply
post #110 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8800GT View Post

50GB out of my 2x4tb hard drives. Oh no. Seriously, all these people complaining about how they should compress it for high end rigs...if you have a "high end rig", how about spending 100$ and getting a 3TB hard drive for games?
The hell? You have 512GB of NAND storage and run games off your HDDs?

Well for those of us that prefer to keep our games on our SSDs, and/or have data caps, 35GB of unnecessary bloat is an issue.

If we were at least being promised a better experience than the XBOne (ie higher res textures) that would be one thing, but they're dumping a brick of uncompressed audio on us, not for higher quality, but because ancient CPUs might struggle with it. How they didn't make this optional is beyond me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [joystiq] Titanfall PC's 48GB install the result of uncompressed audio