Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Power Supplies › Corsair AX860 for 4770K and GTX 780 Ti SLI
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Corsair AX860 for 4770K and GTX 780 Ti SLI - Page 6

post #51 of 118

Absolutely: it will just harmlessly turn off. If you use a good 750W PSU, then you'll never have even the slightest chance of this happening.

It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #52 of 118
if you don't overvolt you dont need very much power at all and 860w will be fine. not sure if the reference 780 ti's were voltage unlocked but if they weren't and you dont plan on overvolting you are good to go
Reign
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5960x ASUS Rampage V Extreme 3x GeForce GTX Titan X G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
Samsung XP941 512GB Acer XB270HU  Ducky Shine 3 MX Red EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 G2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CaseLabs Merlin SM8 SteelSeries Kana v2 SteelSeries QcK Mass Sennheiser PC 350 SE 
  hide details  
Reply
Reign
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5960x ASUS Rampage V Extreme 3x GeForce GTX Titan X G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
Samsung XP941 512GB Acer XB270HU  Ducky Shine 3 MX Red EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 G2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CaseLabs Merlin SM8 SteelSeries Kana v2 SteelSeries QcK Mass Sennheiser PC 350 SE 
  hide details  
Reply
post #53 of 118
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlps5122 View Post

if you don't overvolt you dont need very much power at all and 860w will be fine. not sure if the reference 780 ti's were voltage unlocked but if they weren't and you dont plan on overvolting you are good to go

What about CPU overclock? How significantly does that increase power consumption?
post #54 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNiceGuy View Post

What about CPU overclock? How significantly does that increase power consumption?

as i said, i have a 4770k and 2x gtx 780ti, all are heavily overclocked, my 850w PSU is fine.
post #55 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider85 View Post

as i said, i have a 4770k and 2x gtx 780ti, all are heavily overclocked, my 850w PSU is fine.

Board and accessories used are where the difference really is. I've seen as much as ~65W difference in power pulled by a motherboard (crappy VRMs made the difference). CPU and VGAs aren't the only power drains. EVGA Stinger pulls ~30w more than ASRock Z87-ITX with all other hardware the same, for example, and that's just a mITX board.

Stock my 4770K pulls ~80W from 8-pin, oc @ 4.6 GHz is as high as 160W or as low as 120W.

I have about 30 Z87 boards, and very few have similar power draw.
Edited by cadaveca - 3/12/14 at 11:04am
post #56 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post

Board and accessories used are where the difference really is. I've seen as much as ~65W difference in power pulled by a motherboard (crappy VRMs made the difference). CPU and VGAs aren't the only power drains. EVGA Stinger pulls ~30w more than ASRock Z87-ITX with all other hardware the same, for example, and that's just a mITX board.

Stock my 4770K pulls ~80W from 8-pin, oc @ 4.6 GHz is as high as 160W or as low as 120W.

I have about 30 Z87 boards, and very few have similar power draw.

i have maximus vi gene
post #57 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider85 View Post

i have maximus vi gene

one of the best for CPU VRM power draw. Gene, Formula, Extreme and Hero all have nearly the exact same VRM. For me, the ROG series of board are pretty much the best out there. Not to say there aren't other good boards...MSI's GAMING boards are top-notch, and cheap, too.

But then, consider like the Gigabyte G1.Sniper5, with huge VRM and PLX chip...good board, excellent features..crazy-high power draw compared to some others. That power need is easily explained by the design, but still..
post #58 of 118
false
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNiceGuy View Post

What about CPU overclock? How significantly does that increase power consumption?

overclocking cpu/gpu core speed doesnt add nearly as much to wattage required, at least in comparison to overvolting. for peace of mind id buy a $25 kill-a-watt and know exactly how much power you're extracting from the wall. I ended up buying one since my outlets are only rated for 1800watts (including the lightbulbs, and certain other things on my rooms circuit breaker) and I started getting into heavy voltages and wanted to know how close i was to putting my circuit breaker at risk. with everything stock i pull like 750w from the wall, with everything overvolted for benching i am drawing 1350watts, so ill be getting the corsair ax1500i along with my haswell e purchase
Edited by vlps5122 - 3/12/14 at 11:50am
Reign
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5960x ASUS Rampage V Extreme 3x GeForce GTX Titan X G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
Samsung XP941 512GB Acer XB270HU  Ducky Shine 3 MX Red EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 G2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CaseLabs Merlin SM8 SteelSeries Kana v2 SteelSeries QcK Mass Sennheiser PC 350 SE 
  hide details  
Reply
Reign
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5960x ASUS Rampage V Extreme 3x GeForce GTX Titan X G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
Samsung XP941 512GB Acer XB270HU  Ducky Shine 3 MX Red EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 G2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CaseLabs Merlin SM8 SteelSeries Kana v2 SteelSeries QcK Mass Sennheiser PC 350 SE 
  hide details  
Reply
post #59 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlps5122 View Post

false
overclocking cpu/gpu core speed doesnt add nearly as much to wattage required, at least in comparison to overvolting. for peace of mind id buy a $25 kill-a-watt and know exactly how much power you're extracting from the wall. I ended up buying one since my outlets are only rated for 1800watts (including the lightbulbs, and certain other things on my rooms circuit breaker) and I started getting into heavy voltages and wanted to know how close i was to putting my circuit breaker at risk. with everything stock i pull like 750w from the wall, with everything overvolted for benching i am drawing 1350watts, so ill be getting the corsair ax1500i along with my haswell e purchase

 

If you're going to spend that much on a PSU, then get the 1600W LEPA G series.

 

However, if your PSU is 90% efficient while pulling 1350W from the wall, then your computer is pulling 1215W from the PSU. I multiplied 1350 by .90 to figure that out.

It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #60 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

If you're going to spend that much on a PSU, then get the 1600W LEPA G series.

However, if your PSU is 90% efficient while pulling 1350W from the wall, then your computer is pulling 1215W from the PSU. I multiplied 1350 by .90 to figure that out.

yes you are correct, my ax1200i is probably screaming when i bench biggrin.gif
Reign
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5960x ASUS Rampage V Extreme 3x GeForce GTX Titan X G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
Samsung XP941 512GB Acer XB270HU  Ducky Shine 3 MX Red EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 G2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CaseLabs Merlin SM8 SteelSeries Kana v2 SteelSeries QcK Mass Sennheiser PC 350 SE 
  hide details  
Reply
Reign
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5960x ASUS Rampage V Extreme 3x GeForce GTX Titan X G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
Samsung XP941 512GB Acer XB270HU  Ducky Shine 3 MX Red EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 G2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CaseLabs Merlin SM8 SteelSeries Kana v2 SteelSeries QcK Mass Sennheiser PC 350 SE 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Power Supplies
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Power Supplies › Corsair AX860 for 4770K and GTX 780 Ti SLI