Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › Samsung 840 EVO 1TB in Raid 0?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung 840 EVO 1TB in Raid 0? - Page 3

post #21 of 37
Cheers Parsec, I was under the impression that TRIM was just Garbage Management and that a raid0 didn't have TRIM support (a couple of years back). Trim being necessary to manage the recovery of Memory Sectors.

The question mainly pointed towards the limitation of SATA III and that many SSD's in a single drive setup are near or at the 560Gb/s limit, would raid0 add two SATA III channels together or would the controller's limit be reached?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k MSI X99S SLI PLUS MSI GTX 1080 Ti Seahawk EK X 16GB GSKILL 2400 Ripjaw 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 EVO 750 Seagate 1TB Seagate 1TB 240GB Mushkin Chronos 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Custome water loop, EK Supremecy MX CPU Block,... Windows 10 Pro 64Bit AOC 4k U2879VF Speedlink Ultor red switched tkl keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic Snow Silent 750 Platinum Cooltek W2 upgraded to tempered glass window pa... Steelseries Rival 310 ASUS Anniversary Mousepad 
Audio
Fnatic Duel Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k MSI X99S SLI PLUS MSI GTX 1080 Ti Seahawk EK X 16GB GSKILL 2400 Ripjaw 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 EVO 750 Seagate 1TB Seagate 1TB 240GB Mushkin Chronos 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Custome water loop, EK Supremecy MX CPU Block,... Windows 10 Pro 64Bit AOC 4k U2879VF Speedlink Ultor red switched tkl keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic Snow Silent 750 Platinum Cooltek W2 upgraded to tempered glass window pa... Steelseries Rival 310 ASUS Anniversary Mousepad 
Audio
Fnatic Duel Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

I have no idea.


So then post a reply to it. Bump it. Y'know?

Twocables.

I heard you saying that you love Samsung Magician, and that's cool, but after 4 days using two 1TB Samsung 840 EVO I'm totally tired of Samsung Magician, not because it doesn't work, or lacks features, more because of bugs, bugs I couldn't imagine to pass the testing stage.

I re installed Windows 3 times on my SSD due to some bug that didn't allowed me to open any game, they would open but then minimize, no matter how many times I tried to maximize, they'd minimize again bringing me to Windows desktop, I was blaming DirectX or some other API bug, even I considered AMD Drivers to be cause.

After falling in desperation and asking google for answer, found nothing, until I figured it out by my self, Turns out Metro didn't liked the Samsung Magician Software to be running on the background, as soon as I closed Samsung Magician the games were running smooth without problems again, and as Soon as I opened the Samsung magician the problem would come back.

Maybe in the next update I suppose, I wanted to use Rapid, but it's useless since I can't even play games with it running.

Consider me the first Naysayer of your Samsung Magician future dedicated thread biggrin.gif
post #23 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargonplay View Post


Twocables.

I heard you saying that you love Samsung Magician, and that's cool, but after 4 days using two 1TB Samsung 840 EVO I'm totally tired of Samsung Magician, not because it doesn't work, or lacks features, more because of bugs, bugs I couldn't imagine to pass the testing stage.

I re installed Windows 3 times on my SSD due to some bug that didn't allowed me to open any game, they would open but then minimize, no matter how many times I tried to maximize, they'd minimize again bringing me to Windows desktop, I was blaming DirectX or some other API bug, even I considered AMD Drivers to be cause.

After falling in desperation and asking google for answer, found nothing, until I figured it out by my self, Turns out Metro didn't liked the Samsung Magician Software to be running on the background, as soon as I closed Samsung Magician the games were running smooth without problems again, and as Soon as I opened the Samsung magician the problem would come back.

Maybe in the next update I suppose, I wanted to use Rapid, but it's useless since I can't even play games with it running.

Consider me the first Naysayer of your Samsung Magician future dedicated thread biggrin.gif

 

Before you read this, I must ask for your pardon for any randomness or any other oddities or confusion or sloppiness in this post (like unclear thinking or whatnot): I have a cold and I'm like, half in reality and half in La-La Land.

 

On with my reply as originally written (I added this request for a pardon after submitting the post):

 

 

Oh, I had this problem but I didn't know that was due to Magician. I thought that it was due to MSI Afterburner because I was trying something new with it (new to me). Regardless, I got past it once and for all (I only needed to do this one time) by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del to bring up that full-screen menu that has options like "Lock this computer", "Switch User", "Log Off", "Change a password..." and "Start Task Manager". What happened was, while trying to Alt+Tab back into the game (Crysis 3, the only game that this has happened to), it would start looping between the desktop and the game. So, of course my only option was Ctrl+Alt+Del. This stopped it, and as soon as I pressed Esc (for Cancel), I was in the game and everything was fine. As I said, ever since I did that, it has been problem-free - and I shut down my computer every day (which is essentially the same as restarting it every day). I mean, I can Alt+Tab all I want in my games now and it works as expected.

 

So, give that a shot. I don't know if it will work for you because I have Windows 7 and you have Windows 8, but still: that's what worked for me (edit: and also because you're not describing a looping problem like I had that one time - but I did experience a simple snapping back to the desktop which I couldn't solve at all, but that was fixed after inadvertently fixing this looping problem). I also don't know if this will work if it's not looping like it was for me - and I don't even know how I got it to start looping in the first place. At first, it would just refuse to Alt+Tab back to the game and send me right back to the desktop. So, the thought never occurred to me to press Ctrl+Alt+Del for any other reason but to kill the game. I just remember that one time it started looping and so I had no choice but to Ctrl+Alt+Del to stop it. I thought that I was gonna have to kill the game, but I opened Task Manager and right behind Task Manager was my game just sitting there as calm as can be. So, I closed Task Manager and continued playing. lol

 

I just thought of something interesting: I don't remember this happening until I had started messing with Afterburner. I was doing something that required the little helper program called MSI On-Screen Display server. Prior to that, I don't remember having this problem.

 

Fortunately, Samsung Magician is not needed for anything. You can enable RAPID Mode and it stays fully enabled without Magician running. It's also not needed for anything else, such as the OS Optimization tweaks because Magician is just making changes that you could make manually if you wanted to. So, having it start with Windows is really just a convenience. I haven't really needed Magician to be starting with Windows but it's not changing my startup or shut down time at all nor is it causing me any problems, so I don't have a reason yet to delete it from the Start Menu's Startup folder.

 

So I guess what I'm saying is, if for some reason you'd rather have Magician starting with Windows, then maybe see if you can get the games to loop between the desktop and the game. lol :)


Edited by TwoCables - 3/13/14 at 4:18pm
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 37

Oh, nevermind. It's not fixed like I thought. I think that the reason why I thought it was fixed was, I'm not opening Samsung Magician first (again, I shut down at the end of every day, so I have a new session every day). I'm saying that I just discovered that if I open Samsung Magician and then close it back to the Notification Area and then open a game, then I can't Alt+Tab or else I'm stuck at the desktop. lol

 

I was able to get back in the game somehow by trying some combination of Ctrl+Alt+Del, starting Task Manager, Ctrl+Alt+Del, Alt+Tab, etc. etc., but of course, exiting Magician was the easiest way back into the game. If I don't open Samsung Magician though on a fresh boot and instead the first thing I open is one of my games, then it's fine.

 

Edit: Give me a minute. I'm going to try something. I'm going to reboot, open my game (Crysis 3), exit the game, open the Samsung Magician interface (double-click the icon in the Notification Area), close it back to the Notification Area and then open my game again and attempt to Alt+Tab. I have another thing that I'm going to try after that but first I want to see how this goes.


Edited by TwoCables - 3/13/14 at 4:28pm
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 37

Alright. So here's something for anyone who wants Magician starting with Windows:

 

  1. If you have NOT opened the Samsung Magician interface since you started Windows, then you should be able to play any game you want and Alt+Tab as much as you want.
  2. As soon as you open the Samsung Magician interface, you will be screwed until you either completely exit Samsung Magician (right-click its Notification Area icon and choose Exit) or reboot. Of course, exiting Magician is a lot faster. lol
  3. If you want to reopen Samsung Magician after you're done with a game, then I recommend opening the one that "autohides" to the Notification Area (I don't know what the equivalent is to the Notification Area is in Windows 8). In Windows 7, I just type "magician" in the Start Menu search and I open the one whose Target line contains the following: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Samsung\Samsung Magician\Samsung Magician.exe"  /AUTOHIDE
  4. If you want to open the interface after playing a game (do not do this while playing a game unless you can remember to completely exit Samsung Magician when you're done) but still be able to game later in the current Windows session, then you must completely exit Samsung Magician when you're done. If you want to have it sitting in the Notification Area when you're done with it, then completely exit it and open the one that "autohides".
  5. As long as you don't open the Samsung Magician interface after opening it back up in this manner (with "/AUTOHIDE"), you will be good to go.

 

Of course, again, Samsung Magician doesn't really need to be open for any other reason than convenience. You could just create a shortcut to it somewhere else (like pinning it to the Taskbar in Windows 7) and only open it when you want to. However, please note: you must completely close it when you're done, and in order to completely close it, you have to right-click the icon in the Notification Area and choose Exit and then click Yes or press Enter to "click" Yes. It's just like how Prime95 always minimizes to the Notification Area when you try to close it (except, Prime95 has a .txt configuration file while it seems Magician does not).

 

So, there you go. All you really have to remember is, if you open the Samsung Magician interface itself, then you won't be able to Alt+Tab your video games (or perhaps any 3D application) until you completely exit Samsung Magician. It's ok if you open Samsung Magician so that it "autohides", just as long as you don't open the interface itself. So, if you want Magician starting with Windows every day even though you might only use the interface once a week or once a month, then just keep this in mind. Or, save yourself the possibility of forgetting by simply creating a shortcut. However, you still need to remember to make sure to completely exit Magician when you're done if you plan on playing a game and wanting the ability to freely Alt+Tab. Of course, if you forget and you Alt+tab and you get stuck at the desktop, then all you have to do is completely exit Magician. It's not as big of a deal as I might be making it seem.

It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargonplay View Post

Based on his answer I take that AMD architecture don't fully utilize my SSD like Intel? If that's so, it's even more sad that I thought.

Also, he says that speeds are "UP To 98K IOPS" which means you won't really get that speed all the time, but getting half that is really bad.

Other than that, I don't see how it answered my question since all this information feel really ambiguous, if the AMD southbridge can't handle those IOPS, then should I overclock it? It feels like there's so little documentation on SSD, like if it were a black market product, I though that at this point there would be a paradise of information regarding all matters related to SSD, but it's just the opposite

The problem determining (if possible) the cause of the IOPs results you have is, there are many potential reasons that could be the cause. Many of those causes are not simple things, or could be a combination of things.

Forgive me for this, but imagine someone posting the following in a forum: "My PC is very slow, what's wrong?", and that is all they said. How do you answer that question? Just an example, we all wish things were simple, but consider how complex a PC is, and all the variables, the differences in hardware, software, and usage.

Performance specs for SSDs are done on new, unused, empty drives. People post benchmarks on new, unused, empty drives, but others have their OS, programs, games, etc, on their SSDs and really use them. A used SSD is not quite as fast as a new and empty SSD, users don't want to accept that but it is true. An empty SSD has nothing to do, an OS drive is serving Windows while you run a benchmark, and a PC is never truly idle, doing nothing. Windows does not wait for the benchmark to finish, the benchmark program does not "own" the PC and all its resources. If the only thing on a say ~256GB SSD is the OS, then it can provide great benchmark results, but benchmark enthusiasts also tweak Window's tendency to run more programs and services than are needed, they disable those things. Windows has less to deal with, so more time to give to a benchmark program.

Yes, AMD's SATA III interface is not quite as fast as Intel's, why I don't know. I found in a Samsung 840 Pro datasheet that they use an Intel SATA III board, and use the generally acknowledged fastest version of the IRST driver.

If you enable CPU power saving options in the BIOS, they affect benchmark results, they will be lower. If the CPU is OC'd, that can increase benchmark results somewhat.

Since you use Windows 8, I just read something in the very forum about the new SSD Optimize feature. There are claims that this feature, which can be (and is by default) set to run on a schedule, can actually reduce the performance of a SSD. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but the information provided that supports this claim seems reasonable, and is not based on nothing at all.

The quick fix for this it to disable automatic/scheduled SSD Optimization in Windows 8. Coincidentally, I have scheduled SSD Optimization disabled, since I don't trust Windows to do things for me, like install drivers. Give this a try, but I imagine it will take at least several days before you see any difference, if it even happens at all, in your benchmark scores.

BTW, what SATA mode are you using, and what SATA driver are you using? What AMD board do you have?
post #27 of 37

Yeah, I am still wondering what driver you're using too. I never received an answer to my question...

It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

Alright. So here's something for anyone who wants Magician starting with Windows:
  1. If you have NOT opened the Samsung Magician interface since you started Windows, then you should be able to play any game you want and Alt+Tab as much as you want.
  2. As soon as you open the Samsung Magician interface, you will be screwed until you either completely exit Samsung Magician (right-click its Notification Area icon and choose Exit) or reboot. Of course, exiting Magician is a lot faster. lol
  3. If you want to reopen Samsung Magician after you're done with a game, then I recommend opening the one that "autohides" to the Notification Area (I don't know what the equivalent is to the Notification Area is in Windows 8). In Windows 7, I just type "magician" in the Start Menu search and I open the one whose Target line contains the following: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Samsung\Samsung Magician\Samsung Magician.exe"  /AUTOHIDE
  4. If you want to open the interface after playing a game (do not do this while playing a game unless you can remember to completely exit Samsung Magician when you're done) but still be able to game later in the current Windows session, then you must completely exit Samsung Magician when you're done. If you want to have it sitting in the Notification Area when you're done with it, then completely exit it and open the one that "autohides".
  5. As long as you don't open the Samsung Magician interface after opening it back up in this manner (with "/AUTOHIDE"), you will be good to go.

Of course, again, Samsung Magician doesn't really need to be open for any other reason than convenience. You could just create a shortcut to it somewhere else (like pinning it to the Taskbar in Windows 7) and only open it when you want to. However, please note: you must completely close it when you're done, and in order to completely close it, you have to right-click the icon in the Notification Area and choose Exit and then click Yes or press Enter to "click" Yes. It's just like how Prime95 always minimizes to the Notification Area when you try to close it (except, Prime95 has a .txt configuration file while it seems Magician does not).

So, there you go. All you really have to remember is, if you open the Samsung Magician interface itself, then you won't be able to Alt+Tab your video games (or perhaps any 3D application) until you completely exit Samsung Magician. It's ok if you open Samsung Magician so that it "autohides", just as long as you don't open the interface itself. So, if you want Magician starting with Windows every day even though you might only use the interface once a week or once a month, then just keep this in mind. Or, save yourself the possibility of forgetting by simply creating a shortcut. However, you still need to remember to make sure to completely exit Magician when you're done if you plan on playing a game and wanting the ability to freely Alt+Tab. Of course, if you forget and you Alt+tab and you get stuck at the desktop, then all you have to do is completely exit Magician. It's not as big of a deal as I might be making it seem.

I'm not sure if you mentioned this in any of your other posts about the Magician software, but it installs as an auto-run, at least in Windows 8. Which means it is running in the background when Windows boots, or reboots, and its icon will appear in the Taskbar hidden list, or whatever it's called (it looks like a Samsung SSD).

You can disable that in various ways, in Windows 8 Task Manager, the Startup tab will list it and it can be disabled there. CCleaner's Tools has a Startup option that does the same thing. Windows System Configuration also has a Startup program list and disable capability.

When the auto-run is disable, Magician is not running when Windows boots. If you then use it, it remains running as TwoCables described, and you can stop it as he described.

IMO, most if not all auto-run program settings are a relic in Windows, at least for SSD users. I don't need my programs pre-loaded when Windows starts, I don't use a turtle slow HDD for my OS and applications, they load and run instantly with any decent SSD.

To many things are still dumbed-down in Windows, like auto-running programs when Windows boots, that did help program start up time with old HDDs on an IDE interface, and much less capable processors than today. Hardware is much better now, but Windows must be configured for "EveryMan", so it works well for most every PC still being used.

IMO, many of these features drag some of us down and cause problems and reduce performance, but we are responsible for our PCs, and can fix these things ourselves.

This had me thinking of the chain of events that occurred on the lesser PCs of the past, and how one thing led to another. HDDs were slow, so major programs were auto-run on system boot, which of course took much longer. Running programs causes them to use some RAM memory even if they are doing nothing. Imagine an old PC with one or two GB of memory (early ones used less than that, 512MB in the Windows 98 days), that auto-runs ten programs. It soon runs out of memory. The page file was created to help with the lack of memory. But that put data normally in RAM on the HDD, which is much slower than RAM memory, and we have come full circle, back to the main PC bottleneck even today, non-volatile data I/O.

Every time I see a forum post asking, "Do I need a SSD?", I cringe but remind myself that I am not asking that question... tongue.gif
post #29 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by parsec View Post


I'm not sure if you mentioned this in any of your other posts about the Magician software, but it installs as an auto-run, at least in Windows 8. Which means it is running in the background when Windows boots, or reboots, and its icon will appear in the Taskbar hidden list, or whatever it's called (it looks like a Samsung SSD).

You can disable that in various ways, in Windows 8 Task Manager, the Startup tab will list it and it can be disabled there. CCleaner's Tools has a Startup option that does the same thing. Windows System Configuration also has a Startup program list and disable capability.

When the auto-run is disable, Magician is not running when Windows boots. If you then use it, it remains running as TwoCables described, and you can stop it as he described.

 

In Windows 7, why not just delete it from the Startup folder in the Start Menu. In Windows 8, why not just use the Startup tab instead of installing CCleaner? :) I would think that this would be faster and easier - even if CCleaner is already installed (?).

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsec View Post


IMO, most if not all auto-run program settings are a relic in Windows, at least for SSD users. I don't need my programs pre-loaded when Windows starts, I don't use a turtle slow HDD for my OS and applications, they load and run instantly with any decent SSD.

To many things are still dumbed-down in Windows, like auto-running programs when Windows boots, that did help program start up time with old HDDs on an IDE interface, and much less capable processors than today. Hardware is much better now, but Windows must be configured for "EveryMan", so it works well for most every PC still being used.

IMO, many of these features drag some of us down and cause problems and reduce performance, but we are responsible for our PCs, and can fix these things ourselves.

This had me thinking of the chain of events that occurred on the lesser PCs of the past, and how one thing led to another. HDDs were slow, so major programs were auto-run on system boot, which of course took much longer. Running programs causes them to use some RAM memory even if they are doing nothing. Imagine an old PC with one or two GB of memory (early ones used less than that, 512MB in the Windows 98 days), that auto-runs ten programs. It soon runs out of memory. The page file was created to help with the lack of memory. But that put data normally in RAM on the HDD, which is much slower than RAM memory, and we have come full circle, back to the main PC bottleneck even today, non-volatile data I/O.

Every time I see a forum post asking, "Do I need a SSD?", I cringe but remind myself that I am not asking that question... tongue.gif

 

Not everything that starts with Windows is done for the sake of a faster program startup time though. Some things are tools that you otherwise wouldn't have available, or other things are for the proper functioning of something. Personally though, the only things that I allow to start with Windows is MSI Afturburner and PureText. I know that I could just get into the habit of opening Afterburner before playing any games, but I'm not interested yet in developing that habit. I like Afterburner for the fan profile rather than depending on the driver or the BIOS or whatever controls it otherwise. PureText is awesome because it enables pasting plain text that was originally formatted when it was copied. It's like pasting formatted text into Notepad and then copying it again from there, which is what I used to do before I found PureText. lol

 

Anyway, yeah, Windows has to be as universally compatible as possible. You're right about that. So, this means that users like us have the task of customizing it to suit us better. I, for one, have never liked Windows at stock. I don't change much, but the things that I do change are changes that I can't live without, so to speak.

It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by parsec View Post

The problem determining (if possible) the cause of the IOPs results you have is, there are many potential reasons that could be the cause. Many of those causes are not simple things, or could be a combination of things.

Forgive me for this, but imagine someone posting the following in a forum: "My PC is very slow, what's wrong?", and that is all they said. How do you answer that question? Just an example, we all wish things were simple, but consider how complex a PC is, and all the variables, the differences in hardware, software, and usage.

Performance specs for SSDs are done on new, unused, empty drives. People post benchmarks on new, unused, empty drives, but others have their OS, programs, games, etc, on their SSDs and really use them. A used SSD is not quite as fast as a new and empty SSD, users don't want to accept that but it is true. An empty SSD has nothing to do, an OS drive is serving Windows while you run a benchmark, and a PC is never truly idle, doing nothing. Windows does not wait for the benchmark to finish, the benchmark program does not "own" the PC and all its resources. If the only thing on a say ~256GB SSD is the OS, then it can provide great benchmark results, but benchmark enthusiasts also tweak Window's tendency to run more programs and services than are needed, they disable those things. Windows has less to deal with, so more time to give to a benchmark program.

Yes, AMD's SATA III interface is not quite as fast as Intel's, why I don't know. I found in a Samsung 840 Pro datasheet that they use an Intel SATA III board, and use the generally acknowledged fastest version of the IRST driver.

If you enable CPU power saving options in the BIOS, they affect benchmark results, they will be lower. If the CPU is OC'd, that can increase benchmark results somewhat.

Since you use Windows 8, I just read something in the very forum about the new SSD Optimize feature. There are claims that this feature, which can be (and is by default) set to run on a schedule, can actually reduce the performance of a SSD. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but the information provided that supports this claim seems reasonable, and is not based on nothing at all.

The quick fix for this it to disable automatic/scheduled SSD Optimization in Windows 8. Coincidentally, I have scheduled SSD Optimization disabled, since I don't trust Windows to do things for me, like install drivers. Give this a try, but I imagine it will take at least several days before you see any difference, if it even happens at all, in your benchmark scores.

BTW, what SATA mode are you using, and what SATA driver are you using? What AMD board do you have?

I understand, entirely, my specs are listed on my original post, my board is the 990FXA-GD65v2, and I'd also remark that I have TWO samsung EVO 840 1TB, both of which I tested when they were NEW scoring said low IOPS, both my OS SSD and storage new empty SSD, they score just the same really.

I've tried the AHCI drivers, SOTRAHCI and AMD_SATA, I'm now running with the AMD sata drivers as they increased the score consistently by a very small percent, but increased nonetheless.

I also have a UEFI Version of Windows 8 with the subsequent GPT partition drives. I've done all the so tweaking out there, except for the cache thing in Policies settings that put your data at risk. I really don't know what else to do as I'm stuck at a maximum of 60K IOPS, far from the advertised 98K IOPS.

I've been trying to get used to it, but after paying 1150$ for them I just can't, the drives can't be the issue since as I said I got two of them and they perform the same.
Edited by Dargonplay - 3/13/14 at 11:26pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: SSD
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › Samsung 840 EVO 1TB in Raid 0?