Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › need better CPU? or just GPU?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

need better CPU? or just GPU? - Page 2

post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftkidney View Post

so I am trying to play metro last light and I know its just about the most taxing game there is so I have a question about my gaming rig - I am pretty sure that everything is good except for the gpu not many games need much cpu and I got a fairly nice one

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
FX 4350 Black
16GB ram
7970

I know the 7970 isnt powerful enough to run the game on max settings I tried it but it wont even run it on min settings at anything over 20fps most of the time

I was going to buy a 290x as it is just about the most powerful single gpu card you can get under $600 ($500 at my local microcenter) thats ati - and thats the key here I want to have it mining when I am not gaming so it must be ati not nvidia even though nvidia is probably the better choice for this game and most others with phyxs

1. so would a single r9 290x be enough to play the game at 1920x1080 over 30fps or even 40fps?

2. is this cpu/mobo good enough

I have played many games including crysis 3 and arma 2 and day z which all require lots of gpu power and they all played fine for the most part, arma I could turn the draw distance up to max with no problems - all games I could play at max settings with no problems

I even have an older intel computer (its in my signature still, havent updated that in a while) a Q6600 G0 quad core 775 sockett! pcie 2.0 not even 3.0 and a 660ti gpu and it games pretty well for games like borderlands 2 hitman, splinter cell all at max settings and its a computer from 2009 and a gpu from 2011! so can I assume my cpu/mobo now is fine I just need a kick ass gpu?


I do have a dual r9 290x machine thats a miner running 24/7 and its got linux so using that isnt going to happen it makes me about $20 a day after electricity costs so I dont like to take it offline just to play games

Go to : C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\4A Games\Metro LL\1100001005bfb04

Open user.cfg with notepad and look for r_api. This should be r_api 1 or r_api 2, I'm not exactly sure which but its one of the two, change it to r_api 0 for DirectX 9 mode. You'll have much better framerates after this change.
I7-4790
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz Gigabyte GA-H97M-HD3 Motherboard‎ Nvidia GTX 770 4GB 8GB x2 dual channel1600mhz RAM 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
1TB, WD 1.81TB, Seagate 1.81TB Windows 7 home premium 64 bit HP 2311f 23in Wide LCD Monitor K120 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
800 Watts Raidmax Logitech G500 (mx 510 died in 2016) generic 
  hide details  
Reply
I7-4790
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz Gigabyte GA-H97M-HD3 Motherboard‎ Nvidia GTX 770 4GB 8GB x2 dual channel1600mhz RAM 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
1TB, WD 1.81TB, Seagate 1.81TB Windows 7 home premium 64 bit HP 2311f 23in Wide LCD Monitor K120 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
800 Watts Raidmax Logitech G500 (mx 510 died in 2016) generic 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG StroOnZ View Post

No.
And double no




http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1117&page=11

hmm for some reason i dont believe those test results
ganna do some research
My Rig
(10 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 4670 H81m P33 MSI GTX 760 Hawk G Skill Ripjaws x series 2x4 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD blue 1TB Samsung dvd burner SH-224DB/BEBE Windows 7 Asus VN248H-P 
PowerCase
Rosewill Capstone 550w Corsair carbide 200r 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Pentium G3220 MSI H81m-P33 G.SKILL Sniper Series 4GB PNY XLR8 SSD 120GB 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
Cheapest Drive I Was Able To Find Windows 7 Corsair CX 450w NZXT Source 210 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig
(10 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 4670 H81m P33 MSI GTX 760 Hawk G Skill Ripjaws x series 2x4 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD blue 1TB Samsung dvd burner SH-224DB/BEBE Windows 7 Asus VN248H-P 
PowerCase
Rosewill Capstone 550w Corsair carbide 200r 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Pentium G3220 MSI H81m-P33 G.SKILL Sniper Series 4GB PNY XLR8 SSD 120GB 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
Cheapest Drive I Was Able To Find Windows 7 Corsair CX 450w NZXT Source 210 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG StroOnZ View Post

No.
And double no




http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1117&page=11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_hps7TV4d0

the FX 4300 loses out to an i3 3220 (so seems like a FX 4350 would lose out to a i5 4670 ???)

this
http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-4670K-vs-AMD-FX-4350
shows CPU core results. again 4670 edges out the 4350 in both single core and all core performance.

So 4670 does win

however looking at this site
http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1117 (from your initial source)

it seems like all the games he used, only in 1080p the CPU's perfrom same and in lower res with low quality the 4670k edges out the 4350, so this shows that the fx 4350 is less supperior
but the i5 4670k was performing the same as the 4350 at 1080p max qaulity
so doesnt this show that he DOES need a better cpu? but i guess getting a i5 4670 wont help looking at those results, he'll be stuck with the same frames problem.

does that mean that game needs an 8 thread cpu?? which doesnt make sense to me.
so does that mean this all goes back to OP needing a better GPU ?? (like what your saying?)
Edited by IMKR - 3/13/14 at 7:41pm
My Rig
(10 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 4670 H81m P33 MSI GTX 760 Hawk G Skill Ripjaws x series 2x4 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD blue 1TB Samsung dvd burner SH-224DB/BEBE Windows 7 Asus VN248H-P 
PowerCase
Rosewill Capstone 550w Corsair carbide 200r 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Pentium G3220 MSI H81m-P33 G.SKILL Sniper Series 4GB PNY XLR8 SSD 120GB 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
Cheapest Drive I Was Able To Find Windows 7 Corsair CX 450w NZXT Source 210 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig
(10 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 4670 H81m P33 MSI GTX 760 Hawk G Skill Ripjaws x series 2x4 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD blue 1TB Samsung dvd burner SH-224DB/BEBE Windows 7 Asus VN248H-P 
PowerCase
Rosewill Capstone 550w Corsair carbide 200r 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Pentium G3220 MSI H81m-P33 G.SKILL Sniper Series 4GB PNY XLR8 SSD 120GB 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
Cheapest Drive I Was Able To Find Windows 7 Corsair CX 450w NZXT Source 210 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 25
Thread Starter 
I will give it a try again later and make sure I have everything up to date and turned physx off

but I do have Afterburner and it showed 100% gpu usage (or 98% whatever it never goes to 100 98 or 99 usually) and the cpu was only around the 40% mark

temps were fine with gpu also

I know the cpu isnt the best I built this computer for mining crypto and playing games sometimes but its got room for just about the best amd cpu out its a 990 board but I really dont want to spend money on the CPU since I dont really think that will matter it wasnt even maxed out like the gpu was

I will check on the drivers but I think everything is up to date I use the computer to mine on and I make sure the gpu drivers are up to date

if I am getting a new gpu it pretty much has to be an ati because I mine on this computer as well, and that means the 290x cuz I can get it for $500 at my microcenter a great deal - I would rather play using nvidia but they dont mine that well

I do have a 660 ti I am not using anymore I am sure the 7970 is better than the 660ti at gaming - but is it? since the 660ti would have physx would that be better or is that something thats a cpu thing? I thought it was gpu nvidia cards only?
Edited by leftkidney - 3/14/14 at 2:38am
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMKR View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_hps7TV4d0

the FX 4300 loses out to an i3 3220 (so seems like a FX 4350 would lose out to a i5 4670 ???)

this
http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-4670K-vs-AMD-FX-4350
shows CPU core results. again 4670 edges out the 4350 in both single core and all core performance.

So 4670 does win

however looking at this site
http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1117 (from your initial source)

it seems like all the games he used, only in 1080p the CPU's perfrom same and in lower res with low quality the 4670k edges out the 4350, so this shows that the fx 4350 is less supperior
but the i5 4670k was performing the same as the 4350 at 1080p max qaulity
so doesnt this show that he DOES need a better cpu? but i guess getting a i5 4670 wont help looking at those results, he'll be stuck with the same frames problem.

does that mean that game needs an 8 thread cpu?? which doesnt make sense to me.
so does that mean this all goes back to OP needing a better GPU ?? (like what your saying?)

Not many games are CPU bound, most games are GPU bound. That's why at max settings the framerates are nearly identical between the two. There's nothing wrong with his CPU, he just needs to overclock it and that will remove almost all bottlenecks. The majority of games being played today are GPU bound, so unless you are running at some stupid low resolution you aren't going to notice any bottleneck issues with an AMD CPU or if the game is CPU intensive you might be behind 10-20 fps.
Edited by BiG StroOnZ - 3/15/14 at 5:14am
post #16 of 25
definitely disable physics, it's a killer. other than that you should be fine, obviously turning off AA or setting it to the 0.5AA setting would help.
Easy V3
(17 items)
 
12 Pack
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4820k Asus Rampage IV BE evga 1080ti FE w/ hybrid kit 16 GB G.Skill Trident X 2400mhz  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 EVO 120gb Samsung 840 EVO 1TB Samsung Blu-ray Corsair H110 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
windows 10 Asus PG278Q Ducky Shine 3 - blue led - cherry mx browns Seasonic Platinum-1000 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Dimastech Easy V3 Mionix NAOS 8200 Mionix Ensis 320 titanium HD  
Other
audio technica ATH-A900X 
  hide details  
Reply
Easy V3
(17 items)
 
12 Pack
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4820k Asus Rampage IV BE evga 1080ti FE w/ hybrid kit 16 GB G.Skill Trident X 2400mhz  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 EVO 120gb Samsung 840 EVO 1TB Samsung Blu-ray Corsair H110 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
windows 10 Asus PG278Q Ducky Shine 3 - blue led - cherry mx browns Seasonic Platinum-1000 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Dimastech Easy V3 Mionix NAOS 8200 Mionix Ensis 320 titanium HD  
Other
audio technica ATH-A900X 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbiker033 View Post

definitely disable physics, it's a killer. other than that you should be fine, obviously turning off AA or setting it to the 0.5AA setting would help.

yea I had that turned on I thought it was off I checked a few times and it was always off but maybe I turned it on and forgot

anyways its working fine now thanks for the help

but this brings up a new question

the physx is handeled by the CPU? only when you dont have an nvidia card with physx on it or always?

I was looking into it and it looked like there was no reason to go with an intel CPU for gaming since amd should work fine now adays - in 2009 when I built my last gaming computer really the intel CPU made all the difference in games but now I have been told by a few people that it really doesent matter anymore intel CPU's are better for tasks like video encoding or photoshop CPU tasks really and virtualization stuff but for gaming amd should be fine? but if physx is controlled by the cpu's not gpu's then I would need a really good cpu as well wouldnt I?


thanks for your help
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftkidney View Post

yea I had that turned on I thought it was off I checked a few times and it was always off but maybe I turned it on and forgot

anyways its working fine now thanks for the help

but this brings up a new question

the physx is handeled by the CPU? only when you dont have an nvidia card with physx on it or always?

I was looking into it and it looked like there was no reason to go with an intel CPU for gaming since amd should work fine now adays - in 2009 when I built my last gaming computer really the intel CPU made all the difference in games but now I have been told by a few people that it really doesent matter anymore intel CPU's are better for tasks like video encoding or photoshop CPU tasks really and virtualization stuff but for gaming amd should be fine? but if physx is controlled by the cpu's not gpu's then I would need a really good cpu as well wouldnt I?


thanks for your help

PhysX is an nVidia feature only, if you try enabling it with an AMD GPU it will kill your framerates. PhysX even with an Nvidia GPU must be ran on the GPU because when ran on the CPU it also kills framerates.

If you want to utilize PhysX in the games that has the feature you will need an nVidia GPU. There was a way that you could run an AMD GPU for your main card, and have an nVidia GPU secondary for PhysX but I'm pretty sure nVidia's newest drivers don't allow that feature anymore.
post #19 of 25
8350

if the Titan is as cheap as the 290, will you pair it to the 4300?
Edited by rdr09 - 3/15/14 at 6:51am
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 10 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Reply
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 10 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 25
Thread Starter 
the titan is really expensive and not worth the price since even the 780 is faster than the titan from what I remember or maybe its another card but all I remember is the titian isnt worth the money

I can get a 290x for $500 from my local microcenter so thats probably the best option for a new gpu unless I want physx which really I do I have tried it with it off playing borgerlands on my 660ti and its much better with it turned on the same for batman
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PC Gaming
Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › need better CPU? or just GPU?