Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Heat pipes and 90° motherboard orientation
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Heat pipes and 90° motherboard orientation

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
Hey guys, I already read a bit about this issue but I couldn't make sense out of it,
I'm building my new rig in a TJ11 and don't know what the best options would be for a CPU air cooler, as well as the best stock cooler for graphics card. I may install a NZXT Kraken X60 at some point, and even evolve towards a full watercooling loop but in the meantime I think I can do without.

Thanks in advance smile.gif
post #2 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15130 View Post

Hey guys, I already read a bit about this issue but I couldn't make sense out of it,
I'm building my new rig in a TJ11 and don't know what the best options would be for a CPU air cooler, as well as the best stock cooler for graphics card. I may install a NZXT Kraken X60 at some point, and even evolve towards a full watercooling loop but in the meantime I think I can do without.

Thanks in advance smile.gif
TJ11 is nice case. With 171mm CPU clearance most any cooler will fit.. dependent of RAM height.
Motherboard orientation is not an issue with heat pipe cooler.. NH-C14 does not perform as well with curve of pipes facing up.

What GPU are you thinking? The bigger the cooler, the quieter and better they cool.
post #3 of 18
Thread Starter 
I won't really use it for gaming so GPU isn't that important, but I guess at some point I might have one or two cards (such as GTX 770 or whatever happens to be equivalent when I do it), so anything using a stock cooler that would not be penalized by the motherboard orientation (I heard depending on where the air exhaust is it can lead to very bad temps).

I guess for the CPU I'll go with a Noctua NH-D14 unless there is another air cooler with significantly better performances out there.
post #4 of 18
You might find the third link in my sig interesting. Any questions just ask.
post #5 of 18
Thread Starter 
Thanks ! It's perfect, I'm having a few Ideas I'll ask about, I might see you there smile.gif
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15130 View Post

I won't really use it for gaming so GPU isn't that important, but I guess at some point I might have one or two cards (such as GTX 770 or whatever happens to be equivalent when I do it), so anything using a stock cooler that would not be penalized by the motherboard orientation (I heard depending on where the air exhaust is it can lead to very bad temps).

I guess for the CPU I'll go with a Noctua NH-D14 unless there is another air cooler with significantly better performances out there.

I have a friend who has 3 780s in a tj11 and the stock coolers seem to perform well orientated 90 degrees. the blower style coolers are designed to push air out of the back, or in this case, the top of the computer as opposed to the aftermarket coolers which exhaust more air into the case rather than outside of it. having the blower style coolers pointed straight up actually helps them due to heat rising. Hope this helps.
post #7 of 18
Thread Starter 
=> Doyl : Thought your link was a dedicated thread lol biggrin.gif
My question : I fell in love with the Akasa Medusa, do you know if it'll fit in my TJ11 ? I guess it will, but just to be sure. Also is it really that good ?

=> Xander : Ok, I have an idea what to look for
post #8 of 18
I suppose I could start dedicated threads for cooling and PWM info. redface.gif I'm afraid so much of it is so individual there would be pages of posts and vary hard to find one related to specific question and needs.

I have not personally tested and used a Medusa. I won't say it's the best but is is one of the top 5 or 10 out there at cooling. As for quality I can't say.

As I said above:
Quote:
TJ11 is nice case. With 171mm CPU clearance most any cooler will fit.. dependent of RAM height.

And as it says in third link:
"add 8mm for motherboard to bottom fin."
CPU clearance + 8mm = motherboard to sidecover.
RAM height + 3mm = motherboard to top of RAM.
motherboard to sidecover - motherboard to top of RAM = RAM to sidecover clearance.
post #9 of 18
Why are you getting the TJ11 if you're air cooling if you don't mind me asking. The FT02 would be a better option, unless you plan on WCing in the future I would save yourself a few hundred bucks with an FT02 or even an RV02.
post #10 of 18
Thread Starter 
doyll => Yeah sorry, for some reason I'm posting too quick and don't read enough since a few weeks. Sounds good, I'll look at the top air coolers on the market and if I don't find something I like better then I think I found the one.

Jack => Actually I already bought it a while ago wink.gif
I'd like to say I regret it but I don't redface.gif
It might be a bit big for what I'll use it for but at least I won't lack space for my hard drives
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Heat pipes and 90° motherboard orientation