Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Is PCIe throttled if I use more than one slot?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is PCIe throttled if I use more than one slot?

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Hi all,

I hope this isn't a stupid question. I've tried to find out ymself but can't get a straight answer.

I am thinking of buying the Gigabyte H87m D3H mATX motherboard. I will be using the PCIe x16 (3.0) slot for a Radeon R290 GPU. I also have a wireless card that uses a PCIe x4 (2.0) slot (so not a standard PCI).

I have read that if you use two PCIe x16 slots for SLI, for instance, the speed is throttled to x8 each due to the motherboard limitations.

Would this be a similar case for me, if I am using two PCIe slots? Even though one is x4 and one is x16? Or would both run at their full capacity? In the motherboard manual on the link above I can't see anything about this.

Thanks.
post #2 of 7
That board runs the second X16 from PCH at PCI-E x4 2.0 speeds. It won't affect the primary X16.

Also that wireless card it PCI-E x1.
Ivy Bridge
(21 items)
 
Ryzen
(5 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570K Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H EVGA Geforce GTX 780 Classified Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x8GB 1600Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 Western Digital WD1001FALS Samsung HD753LJ ST3300822AS 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Western Digital RED 3 TB Custom Loop Lamptron FC Touch Windows 8.1 update 1 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell P2414H CM Storm Quickfire Rapid Red EVGA G2 1000W Cooler Master Cosmos II 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G502 Logitech G240 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium 600 OHM Schiit Valhalla 
Audio
M-Audio AV40 
  hide details  
Reply
Ivy Bridge
(21 items)
 
Ryzen
(5 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570K Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H EVGA Geforce GTX 780 Classified Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x8GB 1600Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 Western Digital WD1001FALS Samsung HD753LJ ST3300822AS 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Western Digital RED 3 TB Custom Loop Lamptron FC Touch Windows 8.1 update 1 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell P2414H CM Storm Quickfire Rapid Red EVGA G2 1000W Cooler Master Cosmos II 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G502 Logitech G240 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium 600 OHM Schiit Valhalla 
Audio
M-Audio AV40 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Thank you. The card is PCIe x1 but the board only has PCIe x16 or x4, then two PCI slots, so it would have to go in the PCIe x4, right?
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyandSun View Post

Thank you. The card is PCIe x1 but the board only has PCIe x16 or x4, then two PCI slots, so it would have to go in the PCIe x4, right?

You could put it in any PCI-E slot you wanted, but you're really going to want your graphics card running on the 16x slot.

The wireless card isn't going to care about the slot...where ever it gets put it will run at 1X regardless of what the slot is capable of. For that matter your graphics card isn't going to be taxing out those 16x lanes very much...if at all. However it will be choking if only given the 4X slot.
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
2600K @ 4.7GHz Asus P8P67 B3 GTX 580 EVGA Hydro Copper 2 GTX 580 EVGA  
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws bunch of 'em Blu-Ray For movies Windows 8.1 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
24.4" Hans G HH251 X2 Yamakasi DS270  Blah 1000watt Super Flower 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Built into Desk Microsoft SideWinder X8 Comfy one... Creative Extreme Gamer 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
2600K @ 4.7GHz Asus P8P67 B3 GTX 580 EVGA Hydro Copper 2 GTX 580 EVGA  
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws bunch of 'em Blu-Ray For movies Windows 8.1 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
24.4" Hans G HH251 X2 Yamakasi DS270  Blah 1000watt Super Flower 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Built into Desk Microsoft SideWinder X8 Comfy one... Creative Extreme Gamer 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Thanks.

I am now considering the Asus H87-PLUS ATX LGA1150 Motherboard, or possibly its little brother, the H87m-E. Does the same apply here - using a PCIe x16 slot for the GPU and a PCIe x4 for the wireless card, will there be any throttling of the speed? I'm assuming no, but I'm new to this...

Thanks smile.gif
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyandSun View Post

Hi all,

I hope this isn't a stupid question. I've tried to find out ymself but can't get a straight answer.
I am thinking of buying the Gigabyte H87m D3H mATX motherboard. I will be using the PCIe x16 (3.0) slot for a Radeon R290 GPU. I also have a wireless card that uses a PCIe x4 (2.0) slot (so not a standard PCI).
I have read that if you use two PCIe x16 slots for SLI, for instance, the speed is throttled to x8 each due to the motherboard limitations.
Would this be a similar case for me, if I am using two PCIe slots? Even though one is x4 and one is x16? Or would both run at their full capacity? In the motherboard manual on the link above I can't see anything about this.
Thanks.

You would think that as PCI-E slots are serial, they would function separately, so one would not effect the performance of another.
The graphics card and wireless cards have no need to work with one another.
Where as when you trying to use more then one graphics card, the PCI-E ports have to coordinate with each other
as the multiple graphics cards are are trying to communicate with another.
ENIAC
(15 items)
 
  
Reply
ENIAC
(15 items)
 
  
Reply
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyandSun View Post

Thanks.

I am now considering the Asus H87-PLUS ATX LGA1150 Motherboard, or possibly its little brother, the H87m-E. Does the same apply here - using a PCIe x16 slot for the GPU and a PCIe x4 for the wireless card, will there be any throttling of the speed? I'm assuming no, but I'm new to this...

Thanks smile.gif

Both of those boards actually have the small PCI-E 1X slots. So you would really have not worries there.
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
2600K @ 4.7GHz Asus P8P67 B3 GTX 580 EVGA Hydro Copper 2 GTX 580 EVGA  
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws bunch of 'em Blu-Ray For movies Windows 8.1 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
24.4" Hans G HH251 X2 Yamakasi DS270  Blah 1000watt Super Flower 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Built into Desk Microsoft SideWinder X8 Comfy one... Creative Extreme Gamer 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
2600K @ 4.7GHz Asus P8P67 B3 GTX 580 EVGA Hydro Copper 2 GTX 580 EVGA  
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws bunch of 'em Blu-Ray For movies Windows 8.1 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
24.4" Hans G HH251 X2 Yamakasi DS270  Blah 1000watt Super Flower 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Built into Desk Microsoft SideWinder X8 Comfy one... Creative Extreme Gamer 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Is PCIe throttled if I use more than one slot?