Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Clueless about graphics cards, need some help
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Clueless about graphics cards, need some help - Page 2

post #11 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammong View Post

You will have no problems running a GTX 750 in that machine. I would avoid the GTX 750 Ti unless you know you have a PCIe 6-pin power connector available on your PSU. All of the GTX 750 (non-Ti) run with no supplemental power requirement, but "most" of the Ti models require power that I've seen.

Here's a plain simple 750 from PNY. Comes with a nice game bundle that retails for more than the card itself. LOL.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?gclid=CMfy97fBk70CFWuhOgodkScAwg&Item=N82E16814133532

Greg

+1 on this.
also the ti isn't going to give much more performance for the cost.
go for the 750 non ti in your system op.
Old X58
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 6 core ASUS Sabertooth X58 MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X GSkill 24 gigs 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256 gig Crucial M500 120gig WD VelociRaptor 1TB Noctua 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64bit LG 29inch widescreen DP LG 29inch widescreen DP Corsair K65 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA SuperNova G2 1000w Corsair C70 Corsair M65 Sound Blaster Z 
Other
Custom sleeved psu cables 
  hide details  
Reply
Old X58
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 6 core ASUS Sabertooth X58 MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X GSkill 24 gigs 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256 gig Crucial M500 120gig WD VelociRaptor 1TB Noctua 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64bit LG 29inch widescreen DP LG 29inch widescreen DP Corsair K65 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA SuperNova G2 1000w Corsair C70 Corsair M65 Sound Blaster Z 
Other
Custom sleeved psu cables 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammong View Post

You will have no problems running a GTX 750 in that machine. I would avoid the GTX 750 Ti unless you know you have a PCIe 6-pin power connector available on your PSU. All of the GTX 750 (non-Ti) run with no supplemental power requirement, but "most" of the Ti models require power that I've seen.

Here's a plain simple 750 from PNY. Comes with a nice game bundle that retails for more than the card itself. LOL.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?gclid=CMfy97fBk70CFWuhOgodkScAwg&Item=N82E16814133532

Greg
ok so i just found out about +12V rails and that i need atleast 20 amps on it, is there a way you can find out how much my PSU has or would i have to find a screw driver and open my case and hopefully it says it on the psu sticker?
post #13 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Nails View Post

ok so i just found out about +12V rails and that i need atleast 20 amps on it, is there a way you can find out how much my PSU has or would i have to find a screw driver and open my case and hopefully it says it on the psu sticker?

It would be best to take a peek inside your computer and look at the sticker, but I believe this is your PSU:
http://www.circotech.com/hp-replacement-power-supply-model-number-fh-xd301myr-part-number-633189-001.html
You can click on the picture to enlarge it. If you look closely you can see what the maximum combined output of the two +12V rails is, and it's 216W (meaning 18A).
I can assure you, though, you don't need 20A for your system with a GTX 750. Your present PSU will be fine.
post #14 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shub View Post

It would be best to take a peek inside your computer and look at the sticker, but I believe this is your PSU:
http://www.circotech.com/hp-replacement-power-supply-model-number-fh-xd301myr-part-number-633189-001.html
You can click on the picture to enlarge it. If you look closely you can see what the maximum combined output of the two +12V rails is, and it's 216W (meaning 18A).
I can assure you, though, you don't need 20A for your system with a GTX 750. Your present PSU will be fine.
yeah i remember the last time i opened my pc the psu was small and silver like that so thats probably the one im using. i might just buy a new psu and get a 750 ti. is this psu non modular, semi, or full modular? when i checked inside my pc it had a little strap on all the cables on the psu so im not sure what it is. would u recommend semi or fully modular? also, could u tell me the step by step instructions on how to replace the gpu, like unscrew my gt520 then screw in the 750 ti and then close the case and turn on the computer, after that im not sure what to do to make it work.
post #15 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Nails View Post

yeah i remember the last time i opened my pc the psu was small and silver like that so thats probably the one im using. i might just buy a new psu and get a 750 ti. is this psu non modular, semi, or full modular? when i checked inside my pc it had a little strap on all the cables on the psu so im not sure what it is. would u recommend semi or fully modular? also, could u tell me the step by step instructions on how to replace the gpu, like unscrew my gt520 then screw in the 750 ti and then close the case and turn on the computer, after that im not sure what to do to make it work.

There are a ton of you tube tutorials on how to swap GPU's, you can check those out.
The Sleeper
(10 items)
 
 
Sony Xperia Z3
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX 8320  Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 MSI Radeon 7950 MSI Radeon 7950 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600mhz Samsung 470 SSD Corsair H80i Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium 
PowerCase
Corsair HX850 Coolermaster HAF 932 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel SU7300 Core2Duo 1.6 Ghz Alienware OEM Nvidia 335m 8 GB PNY memory 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
Samsing 840 SSD Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Generic PNP monitor @ 75hz 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Snapdragon 801 @ 2.5 Ghz Adreno 330 3 GB 32 GB  
CoolingOSMonitor
Blow on it Android 4.4.4 1920x1080 LCD 
  hide details  
Reply
The Sleeper
(10 items)
 
 
Sony Xperia Z3
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX 8320  Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 MSI Radeon 7950 MSI Radeon 7950 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600mhz Samsung 470 SSD Corsair H80i Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium 
PowerCase
Corsair HX850 Coolermaster HAF 932 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel SU7300 Core2Duo 1.6 Ghz Alienware OEM Nvidia 335m 8 GB PNY memory 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
Samsing 840 SSD Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Generic PNP monitor @ 75hz 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Snapdragon 801 @ 2.5 Ghz Adreno 330 3 GB 32 GB  
CoolingOSMonitor
Blow on it Android 4.4.4 1920x1080 LCD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadboy90 View Post

There are a ton of you tube tutorials on how to swap GPU's, you can check those out.
yeah but i linked that guys thread that couldnt get the 750 ti to work on my computer and he knew what he was doing. and spectre said something about the bios flash but idk what that means so i need instructions.
post #17 of 33
I would do it if not just for the experience. My first foray into DIY pc was a HP a1600n with AMD x2 64 3800 and later a HD 4650 and 2 extra 1G ram sticks. running off of This psu. That Pavalon outlasted a lot of mohicans and was retired in service due to old age.
Wilson
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3570k ASRock Extreme4 Msi GTX 670 Twin Frozr OC EVGA 2x4 MB superclocked DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Aincient WD 7200 20$ Rocketfish Universal Win8 Samsung synchmaster B2030 1600x900 Native 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Inland Wired USB Gaming Keyboard Corsair 600w Corsair carbide 300r LOGITECH G502 Proteus Core Tunable Gaming Mouse  
Audio
Logitech - Z323 Speaker System 
  hide details  
Reply
Wilson
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3570k ASRock Extreme4 Msi GTX 670 Twin Frozr OC EVGA 2x4 MB superclocked DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Aincient WD 7200 20$ Rocketfish Universal Win8 Samsung synchmaster B2030 1600x900 Native 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Inland Wired USB Gaming Keyboard Corsair 600w Corsair carbide 300r LOGITECH G502 Proteus Core Tunable Gaming Mouse  
Audio
Logitech - Z323 Speaker System 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Nails View Post

yeah but i linked that guys thread that couldnt get the 750 ti to work on my computer and he knew what he was doing. and spectre said something about the bios flash but idk what that means so i need instructions.

Basically if it the card fits it SHOULD work. A BIOS flash is basically is updating the motherboards basic programs, newer bios' sometimes allow for newer hardware to be used. I'll try and link HP's support page where the BIOS is. You are gonna need a flash drive. As for instructions... Ugh im ashamed to admit I can't remember, its been a while since I did a bios flash. Any takers on that question while I find this page?
The Sleeper
(10 items)
 
 
Sony Xperia Z3
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX 8320  Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 MSI Radeon 7950 MSI Radeon 7950 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600mhz Samsung 470 SSD Corsair H80i Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium 
PowerCase
Corsair HX850 Coolermaster HAF 932 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel SU7300 Core2Duo 1.6 Ghz Alienware OEM Nvidia 335m 8 GB PNY memory 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
Samsing 840 SSD Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Generic PNP monitor @ 75hz 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Snapdragon 801 @ 2.5 Ghz Adreno 330 3 GB 32 GB  
CoolingOSMonitor
Blow on it Android 4.4.4 1920x1080 LCD 
  hide details  
Reply
The Sleeper
(10 items)
 
 
Sony Xperia Z3
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX 8320  Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 MSI Radeon 7950 MSI Radeon 7950 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600mhz Samsung 470 SSD Corsair H80i Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium 
PowerCase
Corsair HX850 Coolermaster HAF 932 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel SU7300 Core2Duo 1.6 Ghz Alienware OEM Nvidia 335m 8 GB PNY memory 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
Samsing 840 SSD Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Generic PNP monitor @ 75hz 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Snapdragon 801 @ 2.5 Ghz Adreno 330 3 GB 32 GB  
CoolingOSMonitor
Blow on it Android 4.4.4 1920x1080 LCD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Nails View Post

yeah i remember the last time i opened my pc the psu was small and silver like that so thats probably the one im using. i might just buy a new psu and get a 750 ti. is this psu non modular, semi, or full modular? when i checked inside my pc it had a little strap on all the cables on the psu so im not sure what it is. would u recommend semi or fully modular? also, could u tell me the step by step instructions on how to replace the gpu, like unscrew my gt520 then screw in the 750 ti and then close the case and turn on the computer, after that im not sure what to do to make it work.

All OEM PSUs are "small and silver" tongue.gif
And you will never get a modular PSU in an OEM PC such as yours. That just does not happen.
Modularity is an unnecessary luxury. It's a nice to have. If you have room in your case, it's easy to tuck cables out of the way. Your case however is likely to be a bit cramped and have no cable management whatsoever, but then again, you won't be producing a lot of heat, and the whole point of modular PSUs is to reduce clutter and improve airflow. There's not much point worrying about airflow when the computer has no fans, though.

And yes, all you do when swapping your GT 520 is remove it and put the 750 in its stead.
You might want to install the latest nVidia drivers before uninstalling your GT 520 to guarantee the 750 will be picked up and ready to go instantly after you reboot. Easiest thing in the world tongue.gif
post #20 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shub View Post

All OEM PSUs are "small and silver" tongue.gif
And you will never get a modular PSU in an OEM PC such as yours. That just does not happen.
Modularity is an unnecessary luxury. It's a nice to have. If you have room in your case, it's easy to tuck cables out of the way. Your case however is likely to be a bit cramped and have no cable management whatsoever, but then again, you won't be producing a lot of heat, and the whole point of modular PSUs is to reduce clutter and improve airflow. There's not much point worrying about airflow when the computer has no fans, though.

And yes, all you do when swapping your GT 520 is remove it and put the 750 in its stead.
You might want to install the latest nVidia drivers before uninstalling your GT 520 to guarantee the 750 will be picked up and ready to go instantly after you reboot. Easiest thing in the world tongue.gif
so do i need a new PSU? http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-59368419805889_2269_1209572 i think this is mine and it says +12Va is 12A and +12Vb is 16A. i guess this means i have 28 amps on my 12 rail?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Clueless about graphics cards, need some help