Overclock.net › Forums › General Hardware › General Processor Discussions › Curious noob questions...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Curious noob questions...

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 
1.) What Idle temperature do you guys record from HWMonitor, real temp, etc... Like the highest temp at idle on one of my cores is 36. While the lowest is 34 on my other core. Which 'single value' would you record as your "idle temp" ?

2.) Why is that when I set my Vcore in my BIOS, the vcore on CPU-Z is about +/- .00x off?

3.) When I run Prime95 it obviously loads the cpu at 100%. Why is that every now and then around 15min intervals do the temps increase even though the cpu is already at 100%?'

4.) I have a Asus Z87-A mobo. I'm running manual rather than adaptive for my cpu core voltage to run these stress tests. Since, from what I've read-- running stress tests on adaptive will override the set voltage and burn up the cpu. However, I have my CPU cache voltage set to adaptive. So, the only thing I changed was the Core multiplier and core voltage. Everything else was set on default (Auto). Would leaving my Cpu Cache voltage to adaptive affect my temp readings when running stress tests? Oh and I have XMP loaded.

After 5 hours of looking for a stable voltage on my I5-4670K and running stress tests, I finally found one at 4.0ghz at 1.18v. My max temp at this configuration on my first core was 79celsius. But is usually around 59-65c.

4.4ghz could only be achieved by setting the vcore around ~1.25v. Which I'm not really comfortable with since I only have a 212 Evo.

I'm not a hardcore gamer or do any video editing. This build is just for everyday use... So, I doubt I'll ever see those temps in real world applications. I might lower the voltage and delid the cpu to keep the temps lower @ 4.0ghz when I have more time.

I just got done and these are just some of the questions I have. Please feel free to give me some advice as well!
Thanks redface.gif
Edited by jsx821 - 3/16/14 at 3:26am
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsx821 View Post

1.) What Idle temperature do you guys record from HWMonitor, real temp, etc... Like the highest temp at idle on one of my cores is 36. While the lowest is 34 on my other core. Which 'single value' would you record as your "idle temp" ?

 

The highest.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsx821 View Post

2.) Why is that when I set my Vcore in my BIOS, the vcore on CPU-Z is about +/- .001 off?

 

This is called vDrop and it's normal. There's also something called vDroop, which gives you your voltage under full load. If it goes up under full load instead of down, then that's vRise and it's evidence that you have the Load-Line Calibration set too high.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsx821 View Post


3.) When I run Prime95 it obviously loads the cpu at 100%. Why is that every now and then around 15min intervals do the temps increase even though the cpu is already at 100%?'

 

Every ~15 minutes or so, it switches to the next FFT size. Watch the test for a while and you'll see what i mean.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsx821 View Post

4.) I have Z87-A mobo. I'm running manual rather than adaptive for my cpu core voltage to run these stress tests. Since, from what I've read-- running stress tests on adaptive will override the set voltage and burn up the cpu. However, I have my CPU cache voltage set to adaptive. So, the only thing I changed was the Core multiplier and core voltage. Everything else was set on default (Auto). Would leaving my Cpu Cache voltage to adaptive affect my temp readings when running stress tests?

 

I'm not sure, personally. Someone on here might know though.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsx821 View Post

After 5 hours of looking for a stable voltage on my I5-4670K and running stress tests, I finally found one at 4.0ghz at 1.18v. My max temp at this configuration on my first core was 79celsius. But is usually around 59-65c.

4.4ghz could only be achieved by setting the vcore around ~1.25v. Which I'm not really comfortable with since I only have a 212 Evo.

I'm not a hardcore gamer or do any video editing. This build is just for everyday use... So, I doubt I'll ever see those temps in real world applications. I might lower the voltage and delid the cpu to keep the temps lower @ 4.0ghz when I have more time.

I just got done and these are just some of the questions I have. Please feel free to give me some advice as well!
Thanks redface.gif

 

I'm a bit under the weather at the moment, so maybe later. :)

It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.400-1.424V in Manual Mode) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.400-1.424V in Manual Mode) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 5
Thread Starter 
Honestly i wasn't expecting a response till tomorrow! Thanks for answering what you can.. I really do appreciate it. smile.gif
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsx821 View Post

Honestly i wasn't expecting a response till tomorrow! Thanks for answering what you can.. I really do appreciate it. smile.gif

 

Aw, you're welcome. You're right about the response time though. I keep pretty weird hours.

It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.400-1.424V in Manual Mode) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.400-1.424V in Manual Mode) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 5
That was a great response from TwoCables. +1 to everything thumb.gif
Primary
(18 items)
 
Secondary
(9 items)
 
Tertiary
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8350 ASUS Sabertooth 990FX EVGA 560TI ADATA 4x2GB 1600C9 1.65V-1.5V 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Some 2.5in 1TB drive Stock Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit Corsair TX850 
Case
Cooler Master HAF 
CPUMotherboardRAMOptical Drive
i7-960 Gigabyte X58 ADATA 2x2GB 1600C9 1.65V-1.5V Generic DVD 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Asetek 510LC Linux with pfSense in VM Some generic 1280x1024 Generic 
CaseMouse
Corsair Carbide 400R Generic 
  hide details  
Reply
Primary
(18 items)
 
Secondary
(9 items)
 
Tertiary
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8350 ASUS Sabertooth 990FX EVGA 560TI ADATA 4x2GB 1600C9 1.65V-1.5V 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Some 2.5in 1TB drive Stock Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit Corsair TX850 
Case
Cooler Master HAF 
CPUMotherboardRAMOptical Drive
i7-960 Gigabyte X58 ADATA 2x2GB 1600C9 1.65V-1.5V Generic DVD 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Asetek 510LC Linux with pfSense in VM Some generic 1280x1024 Generic 
CaseMouse
Corsair Carbide 400R Generic 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Processor Discussions
Overclock.net › Forums › General Hardware › General Processor Discussions › Curious noob questions...