Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › *** HELP water cooling with generic water block
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*** HELP water cooling with generic water block - Page 2

post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by romanm View Post

That is the block I use:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281269016245?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

The circulation is good and the water temp is under 15C so I don't think
it's the cause of the problem. I do use some kind of TIM don't
know what is the vendor of this (bough it in electronic shop).

The temp of the GPU just going up. frown.gif

The link states that the block is good for max a 7870.
The R9-280X is a 7970 and produces a lot more heat.

Can you carefully look and make sure the block is in contact with the GPU core? even the slightest space of no contact would cause temps to rise quickly.
TheSadFlute
(16 items)
 
DyingHeart
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700K TUF Sabertooth MSI 1080 Ti 16GB 2400MHz C15 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair 480GB LE 3TB WD Green Sammy 500GB 850 EVO H100i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro  BenQ XR3501 Logitech G710+ EVGA G2 750W 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Cooler Master Stryker Logitech G602 Asus Strix Nakamichi 5.1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 965BE  Sapphire 790X Zotac GTX650  4GB Corsair 1066 DDR2 (1GBx4) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
G.Skill Phoenix Pro 120GB WD 2TB Green Stock 3x120mm UQ fans 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
W7 Pro SP1 x64 LG 21' 1680x1050 Genius  Corsair CX600 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Gigabyte  E-Blue Mazer XFX WarPad On-board 
Audio
Logitech G35 
  hide details  
Reply
TheSadFlute
(16 items)
 
DyingHeart
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700K TUF Sabertooth MSI 1080 Ti 16GB 2400MHz C15 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair 480GB LE 3TB WD Green Sammy 500GB 850 EVO H100i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro  BenQ XR3501 Logitech G710+ EVGA G2 750W 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Cooler Master Stryker Logitech G602 Asus Strix Nakamichi 5.1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 965BE  Sapphire 790X Zotac GTX650  4GB Corsair 1066 DDR2 (1GBx4) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
G.Skill Phoenix Pro 120GB WD 2TB Green Stock 3x120mm UQ fans 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
W7 Pro SP1 x64 LG 21' 1680x1050 Genius  Corsair CX600 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Gigabyte  E-Blue Mazer XFX WarPad On-board 
Audio
Logitech G35 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by romanm View Post

That is the block I use:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281269016245?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

The circulation is good and the water temp is under 15C so I don't think
it's the cause of the problem. I do use some kind of TIM don't
know what is the vendor of this (bough it in electronic shop).

The temp of the GPU just going up. frown.gif

I think your problem is the block. Just looking at that block makes me think it is not doing its job.
Super P's rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5960x ASUS X99-A II Asus GTX 1080 Ti Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
MyDigitalSSD BPX NVMe Samsung 850 EVO Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB External DVDRW 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EK-XLC Predator 240 Swiftech 240mm Radiator Windows 10 Samsung 40" 4K - UN40KU6290 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G710+ EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 Fractal Design Define S G700s 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Vipamz Extended XXXL Asus U7 M-Audio AV40 Sennheiser HD 439 
  hide details  
Reply
Super P's rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5960x ASUS X99-A II Asus GTX 1080 Ti Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
MyDigitalSSD BPX NVMe Samsung 850 EVO Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB External DVDRW 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EK-XLC Predator 240 Swiftech 240mm Radiator Windows 10 Samsung 40" 4K - UN40KU6290 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G710+ EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 Fractal Design Define S G700s 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Vipamz Extended XXXL Asus U7 M-Audio AV40 Sennheiser HD 439 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXXon View Post

The link states that the block is good for max a 7870.
The R9-280X is a 7970 and produces a lot more heat.

Can you carefully look and make sure the block is in contact with the GPU core? even the slightest space of no contact would cause temps to rise quickly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by criminal View Post

I think your problem is the block. Just looking at that block makes me think it is not doing its job.


Hey Guys,

I think you are right , the block is
too small, can you please
give me good advice about generic water
block for this card.

Thanks in advance
Roman
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by romanm View Post


Hey Guys,

I think you are right , the block is
too small, can you please
give me good advice about generic water
block for this card.

Thanks in advance
Roman

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Swiftech-MCW82-ATI-Nvidia-Universal-GPU-waterblock-White-/270836894796?pt=US_Water_Cooling&hash=item3f0f230c4c
Super P's rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5960x ASUS X99-A II Asus GTX 1080 Ti Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
MyDigitalSSD BPX NVMe Samsung 850 EVO Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB External DVDRW 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EK-XLC Predator 240 Swiftech 240mm Radiator Windows 10 Samsung 40" 4K - UN40KU6290 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G710+ EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 Fractal Design Define S G700s 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Vipamz Extended XXXL Asus U7 M-Audio AV40 Sennheiser HD 439 
  hide details  
Reply
Super P's rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5960x ASUS X99-A II Asus GTX 1080 Ti Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
MyDigitalSSD BPX NVMe Samsung 850 EVO Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB External DVDRW 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EK-XLC Predator 240 Swiftech 240mm Radiator Windows 10 Samsung 40" 4K - UN40KU6290 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G710+ EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 Fractal Design Define S G700s 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Vipamz Extended XXXL Asus U7 M-Audio AV40 Sennheiser HD 439 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 25
Thread Starter 

Seems to me the same size ,
why do you think it is going to be
different ?
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by romanm View Post

Seems to me the same size ,
why do you think it is going to be
different ?

Size doesn't matter (that's not what she said). The bigger blocks cover all the other chips (VRM and RAM..) so that you wouldn't have to buy the extra passive cooling chips or stick a small fan on. What matters in this case is most probably the brand. Swiftech is a well known brand and their design and material that they use is most probably better than what you got. To save you the headache and run around. Go buy a known brand (XSPC - HK...) R9 280 water block. Yes it's double the price, but here you are thinking about buying another block which will equal out to the same amount of money spent (what you spend on your current block would be the cost of a water cooling lesson)
Wanted: Looking for a GTX 970
$9,999 (USD)
  
Reply
Wanted: Looking for a GTX 970
$9,999 (USD)
  
Reply
post #17 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkLord100 View Post

Size doesn't matter (that's not what she said). The bigger blocks cover all the other chips (VRM and RAM..) so that you wouldn't have to buy the extra passive cooling chips or stick a small fan on. What matters in this case is most probably the brand. Swiftech is a well known brand and their design and material that they use is most probably better than what you got. To save you the headache and run around. Go buy a known brand (XSPC - HK...) R9 280 water block. Yes it's double the price, but here you are thinking about buying another block which will equal out to the same amount of money spent (what you spend on your current block would be the cost of a water cooling lesson)

You see my problem is
that I need to cool 40 cards,
with this...
post #18 of 25
^ What they said ^!

You need a block that will provide sufficient heat transfer for the card you are using.... and you also need to cool the ram and vrms. Going with a name brand that has known capabilities is always a good idea, compared to buying items of unknown quality / capacity.

I am assuming your pump is a no name brand pump also? Do you at least have head pressure and flow rates for it?

What kind of heat exchanger / radiator are you using? That card is making around 200 watts... probably more, so you need something that will at least handle that...
Workstation
(16 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
INtel 4770k ASUS maximus extreme VI  EVGA GTX 780Ti SC  EVGA GTX 780Ti SC 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
EVGA GTX 780Ti SC Kingston HyperX Beast 32 GB Kit (4x8 GB) 2400MH... Western Digital 2tb Enterprise Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pawtec External USB 3.0 Aluminum 8X DVD-RW Writ... Primochill ghost fitings Monsoon reservoir Swifttech MCP50x/2  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Primochill rigid acrylic tubing EK supremacy CPU block - Nickel EK 780Ti waterblocks x3 - Nickel Lamptron FC9 fan Controller 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
9x Primochill Acrylic Radiator Grills Alphacool ST30 280 radiator Alphacool ST30 280 radiator Alphacool 420 80mm 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate Dell UW3014 Merc stealth steel series keyboard EVGA NEX1500 PSU 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Lian Li PC-D600 Razer Death Adder Mouse Razer Scarab mousepad Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers with sub 
  hide details  
Reply
Workstation
(16 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
INtel 4770k ASUS maximus extreme VI  EVGA GTX 780Ti SC  EVGA GTX 780Ti SC 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
EVGA GTX 780Ti SC Kingston HyperX Beast 32 GB Kit (4x8 GB) 2400MH... Western Digital 2tb Enterprise Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pawtec External USB 3.0 Aluminum 8X DVD-RW Writ... Primochill ghost fitings Monsoon reservoir Swifttech MCP50x/2  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Primochill rigid acrylic tubing EK supremacy CPU block - Nickel EK 780Ti waterblocks x3 - Nickel Lamptron FC9 fan Controller 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
9x Primochill Acrylic Radiator Grills Alphacool ST30 280 radiator Alphacool ST30 280 radiator Alphacool 420 80mm 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate Dell UW3014 Merc stealth steel series keyboard EVGA NEX1500 PSU 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Lian Li PC-D600 Razer Death Adder Mouse Razer Scarab mousepad Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers with sub 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgipson1 View Post

^ What they said ^!

You need a block that will provide sufficient heat transfer for the card you are using.... and you also need to cool the ram and vrms. Going with a name brand that has known capabilities is always a good idea, compared to buying items of unknown quality / capacity.

I am assuming your pump is a no name brand pump also? Do you at least have head pressure and flow rates for it?

What kind of heat exchanger / radiator are you using? That card is making around 200 watts... probably more, so you need something that will at least handle that...

The water is cool
post #20 of 25

Considering that it sounds like you are trying to cool a mining farm, then I'd suggest just flat out not trying to put them under water. Your ROI isn't going to happen easily, if at all. And the increased hash-rate from a slightly higher OC isn't going to end up mattering.

 

And considering mining puts stress on the GPU's vram, you aren't even cooling that at all with your setup, and at least would need small heatsinks such as what cgipson1 linked in his previous posts.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › *** HELP water cooling with generic water block