Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Hot Hardware] Irate Gamers Launch Campaign Over Dark Souls II Console Graphics Downgrade
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Hot Hardware] Irate Gamers Launch Campaign Over Dark Souls II Console Graphics Downgrade - Page 14

post #131 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by theturbofd View Post

The same reason people download textures packs, to further enjoy the experience. Also your example of your GPU problem is terrible. You had a manufacture defect which couldn't be fixed regardless unless you RMA'd it. The Dsfix actually fixes the problem unlike downclocking your card which basically just masked the problem. Without the DSfix it would have been the same as just playing on the ps3.
I might actually have to try that O.o

I have to agree with Turbo, the first game was not in a state where it was unplayable. Even without DSfix or DSMfix you could still play through the game fairly easily by lowering mouse dpi and remembering the key binds in the menu. I think the main reason why people disliked the game on PC was because it does not offer much in the way of explaining how to play the game (the tutorial was a bit on the poor side, coupled with the xbox prompts). Add to this no configuration and a shoddy UI and no wonder an average PC gamer would think the game a crapshoot. The unfortunate problem being that this is the whole premise of the game, it's designed (for consoles) to not hold your hand at all and people would mistake that minimalist design as sub-par.

I personally had a friend who I thought would like the game very much since he likes RPG's with a challenge. He un-installed the game 20 minutes into the game because he couldn't figure out how to do a single thing in the tutorial and got stuck. I went over and explained to him his key binds, basic combat, how to pass the tutorial boss and pointed him towards undead asylum and he immediately started to love the game for what it was.

Also the premise of it costing $60 is the same as any other game out there, don't pre-purchase etc. when it's on steam. The game has been on sale multiple times for under $20 (lowest $12USD) and even down here in NZ/Aus it's been easy on the wallet (which is saying something).
The Hybrid
(18 items)
 
Secondary
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3770k @4.2GHz Gigabyte Z77x - UD3H Gigabyte 1070 G1 gaming Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x8GB 2400 CL11 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial m500 480GB Intel SSD X25-M MLC 80GB 4x WD Green 2TB 64MB Antec Kuhler 620 AIO 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Philips Brilliance 202P4 22" CRT @2048x1536 85Hz Asus VG248QE 144Hz Lightboost Ducky Legend Blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX750 Raven RV-02 Logitech 502 Proteus SteelSeries fnatic QcK+ Limited Edition 
AudioAudio
Fiio E10k Audio Technica ATH-AD900x 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H Nvidia GeForce 9600GT SLI 8GB Kingston CL9 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Intel 320 SSD Scythe Yasya Windows 8 x64 LG Flatron 
Power
Antec HCG 520W 
  hide details  
Reply
The Hybrid
(18 items)
 
Secondary
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3770k @4.2GHz Gigabyte Z77x - UD3H Gigabyte 1070 G1 gaming Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x8GB 2400 CL11 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial m500 480GB Intel SSD X25-M MLC 80GB 4x WD Green 2TB 64MB Antec Kuhler 620 AIO 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Philips Brilliance 202P4 22" CRT @2048x1536 85Hz Asus VG248QE 144Hz Lightboost Ducky Legend Blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX750 Raven RV-02 Logitech 502 Proteus SteelSeries fnatic QcK+ Limited Edition 
AudioAudio
Fiio E10k Audio Technica ATH-AD900x 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H Nvidia GeForce 9600GT SLI 8GB Kingston CL9 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Intel 320 SSD Scythe Yasya Windows 8 x64 LG Flatron 
Power
Antec HCG 520W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #132 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2spartan View Post

Yes it was broken because the customer had to fix those issues. I am willing to be lenient on some minor bugs...bugs are expected even after long game delays to make sure the game is polished. But when a game is rushed, you get performance issues and enjoyability goes down the crapper.

If something small like those make a game broken in your eyes then I don't know what to tell you.
post #133 of 241
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanVXL View Post

I have to agree with Turbo, the first game was not in a state where it was unplayable. Even without DSfix or DSMfix you could still play through the game fairly easily by lowering mouse dpi and remembering the key binds in the menu. I think the main reason why people disliked the game on PC was because it does not offer much in the way of explaining how to play the game (the tutorial was a bit on the poor side, coupled with the xbox prompts). Add to this no configuration and a shoddy UI and no wonder an average PC gamer would think the game a crapshoot. The unfortunate problem being that this is the whole premise of the game, it's designed (for consoles) to not hold your hand at all and people would mistake that minimalist design as sub-par.

I personally had a friend who I thought would like the game very much since he likes RPG's with a challenge. He un-installed the game 20 minutes into the game because he couldn't figure out how to do a single thing in the tutorial and got stuck. I went over and explained to him his key binds, basic combat, how to pass the tutorial boss and pointed him towards undead asylum and he immediately started to love the game for what it was.

Also the premise of it costing $60 is the same as any other game out there, don't pre-purchase etc. when it's on steam. The game has been on sale multiple times for under $20 (lowest $12USD) and even down here in NZ/Aus it's been easy on the wallet (which is saying something).

Basically you're saying you can play the game on pc but you have to make compromises due to developer neglect...does that result in an enjoyable pc experience though? For me, nope.
Iron Patriot
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4930K ASUS Rampage IV Gene EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Classified K|NGP|N Edition 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz (9-11-1... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
512gb Samsung Pro SSD Corsair H110 Windows 7 64 bit Samsung 23SA950D 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Vengeance K70 Corsair AX860 Corsair 350D Mionix Naos 7000 
Mouse PadAudio
Corepad Deskpad XXXXL Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 
  hide details  
Reply
Iron Patriot
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4930K ASUS Rampage IV Gene EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Classified K|NGP|N Edition 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz (9-11-1... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
512gb Samsung Pro SSD Corsair H110 Windows 7 64 bit Samsung 23SA950D 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Vengeance K70 Corsair AX860 Corsair 350D Mionix Naos 7000 
Mouse PadAudio
Corepad Deskpad XXXXL Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #134 of 241
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by theturbofd View Post

If something small like those make a game broken in your eyes then I don't know what to tell you.

Again if they were "slight problems" as you say, then why did you install the fix? Certainly couldn't have contributed to your enjoyabilty in any meaningful way.rolleyes.gif
Iron Patriot
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4930K ASUS Rampage IV Gene EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Classified K|NGP|N Edition 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz (9-11-1... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
512gb Samsung Pro SSD Corsair H110 Windows 7 64 bit Samsung 23SA950D 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Vengeance K70 Corsair AX860 Corsair 350D Mionix Naos 7000 
Mouse PadAudio
Corepad Deskpad XXXXL Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 
  hide details  
Reply
Iron Patriot
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4930K ASUS Rampage IV Gene EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Classified K|NGP|N Edition 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz (9-11-1... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
512gb Samsung Pro SSD Corsair H110 Windows 7 64 bit Samsung 23SA950D 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Vengeance K70 Corsair AX860 Corsair 350D Mionix Naos 7000 
Mouse PadAudio
Corepad Deskpad XXXXL Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #135 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2spartan View Post

Again if they were "slight problems" as you say, then why did you install the fix? Certainly couldn't have contributed to your enjoyabilty in any meaningful way.rolleyes.gif

Because the fixes were available? What kind of stupid question is that? If your GPU worked by downclocking why did you send it back?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanVXL View Post

I have to agree with Turbo, the first game was not in a state where it was unplayable. Even without DSfix or DSMfix you could still play through the game fairly easily by lowering mouse dpi and remembering the key binds in the menu. I think the main reason why people disliked the game on PC was because it does not offer much in the way of explaining how to play the game (the tutorial was a bit on the poor side, coupled with the xbox prompts). Add to this no configuration and a shoddy UI and no wonder an average PC gamer would think the game a crapshoot. The unfortunate problem being that this is the whole premise of the game, it's designed (for consoles) to not hold your hand at all and people would mistake that minimalist design as sub-par.

I personally had a friend who I thought would like the game very much since he likes RPG's with a challenge. He un-installed the game 20 minutes into the game because he couldn't figure out how to do a single thing in the tutorial and got stuck. I went over and explained to him his key binds, basic combat, how to pass the tutorial boss and pointed him towards undead asylum and he immediately started to love the game for what it was.

Also the premise of it costing $60 is the same as any other game out there, don't pre-purchase etc. when it's on steam. The game has been on sale multiple times for under $20 (lowest $12USD) and even down here in NZ/Aus it's been easy on the wallet (which is saying something).

I bought dark souls on sale for $3 and some change during steam sale tongue.gif Dark Souls 2 is releasing on PC at like what? $40?
post #136 of 241
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by theturbofd View Post

Because the fixes were available? What kind of stupid question is that? If your GPU worked by downclocking why did you send it back?
I didn't say my gpu problems were "slight" and I sent them back because I thought they were huge problems.

You, however, down play the significance of the problems and yet you partake in the fixes. It's hypocritical.
Edited by h2spartan - 3/18/14 at 1:24pm
Iron Patriot
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4930K ASUS Rampage IV Gene EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Classified K|NGP|N Edition 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz (9-11-1... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
512gb Samsung Pro SSD Corsair H110 Windows 7 64 bit Samsung 23SA950D 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Vengeance K70 Corsair AX860 Corsair 350D Mionix Naos 7000 
Mouse PadAudio
Corepad Deskpad XXXXL Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 
  hide details  
Reply
Iron Patriot
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4930K ASUS Rampage IV Gene EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Classified K|NGP|N Edition 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz (9-11-1... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
512gb Samsung Pro SSD Corsair H110 Windows 7 64 bit Samsung 23SA950D 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Vengeance K70 Corsair AX860 Corsair 350D Mionix Naos 7000 
Mouse PadAudio
Corepad Deskpad XXXXL Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #137 of 241
do i need both dsfix and dsmfix or is dsmfix working also for everything dsfix does?

thanks
revro
post #138 of 241
Thread Starter 
If the modding community thought like you, there wouldn't be any third party fixes. If some developers/publishers thought like me, there wouldn't be a lot of third party fixes needed in the first place.

But money can drive you to do a lot of stupid things. DS is just one example of many.
Iron Patriot
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4930K ASUS Rampage IV Gene EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Classified K|NGP|N Edition 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz (9-11-1... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
512gb Samsung Pro SSD Corsair H110 Windows 7 64 bit Samsung 23SA950D 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Vengeance K70 Corsair AX860 Corsair 350D Mionix Naos 7000 
Mouse PadAudio
Corepad Deskpad XXXXL Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 
  hide details  
Reply
Iron Patriot
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4930K ASUS Rampage IV Gene EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Classified K|NGP|N Edition 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz (9-11-1... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
512gb Samsung Pro SSD Corsair H110 Windows 7 64 bit Samsung 23SA950D 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Vengeance K70 Corsair AX860 Corsair 350D Mionix Naos 7000 
Mouse PadAudio
Corepad Deskpad XXXXL Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #139 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by revro View Post

do i need both dsfix and dsmfix or is dsmfix working also for everything dsfix does?

thanks
revro

dsmfix is for the keyboard mapping and dsfix is for the resolution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2spartan View Post

I didn't say my gpu problems were "slight" and I sent them back because I thought they were huge problems.

You, however, down play the significance of the problems and yet you partake in the fixes. It's hypocritical.

Who wouldn't partake in the fixes if they were available? The straws man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2spartan View Post

If the modding community thought like you, there wouldn't be any third party fixes. If some developers/publishers thought like me, there wouldn't be a lot of third party fixes needed in the first place.

But money can drive you to do a lot of stupid things. DS is just one example of many.

If developers thought like you then they wouldn't be a successful company. They would be just a random crying on the internet about small problems. Money can make them do stupid things? Like what for example? From Software knows what they're doing and they're still a small company. They admitted their mistake and your sitting here arguing that the game is broken because of resolution problems which can easily be fixed by a small download. Boo hoo it's not from the developers themselves want me to build you a bridge so you can get over that river you're crying about? DSfix was available what? The same day as release? No one really missed much.
Edited by theturbofd - 3/18/14 at 1:35pm
post #140 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2spartan View Post

Basically you're saying you can play the game on pc but you have to make compromises due to developer neglect...does that result in an enjoyable pc experience though? For me, nope.

Neglect? The store page has a big note stuck above the purchase button stating that a controller is highly recommended for the game, which in case is true. The game runs properly with a controller as was designed. You have to jump through a few hoops to get KB+M working for your personal use (mostly just memorising what the binds are) but it otherwise does work.

As for the internal render resolution (monitor resolution, AA, DoF and V-sync are all configurable in the menu) and frame cap they were left as-is from the console version because the devs did not take the time or money to do quality testing for other configurations other than what they already had done for consoles (this can be another case for discussion since that is all that was asked for by the fans to port over).

If you would like to change render res or frame cap then there are mods for that including a mouse mod to change the default tracking. There's even a mod for online connectivity to make playing with friends easier (playing with others is muddled by game design not bugs). The devs do not condemn the mods and probably support them, there is no penalty other than taking some of your time to set them up (even GFWL lets the online mod through).
The Hybrid
(18 items)
 
Secondary
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3770k @4.2GHz Gigabyte Z77x - UD3H Gigabyte 1070 G1 gaming Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x8GB 2400 CL11 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial m500 480GB Intel SSD X25-M MLC 80GB 4x WD Green 2TB 64MB Antec Kuhler 620 AIO 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Philips Brilliance 202P4 22" CRT @2048x1536 85Hz Asus VG248QE 144Hz Lightboost Ducky Legend Blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX750 Raven RV-02 Logitech 502 Proteus SteelSeries fnatic QcK+ Limited Edition 
AudioAudio
Fiio E10k Audio Technica ATH-AD900x 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H Nvidia GeForce 9600GT SLI 8GB Kingston CL9 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Intel 320 SSD Scythe Yasya Windows 8 x64 LG Flatron 
Power
Antec HCG 520W 
  hide details  
Reply
The Hybrid
(18 items)
 
Secondary
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3770k @4.2GHz Gigabyte Z77x - UD3H Gigabyte 1070 G1 gaming Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x8GB 2400 CL11 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial m500 480GB Intel SSD X25-M MLC 80GB 4x WD Green 2TB 64MB Antec Kuhler 620 AIO 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Philips Brilliance 202P4 22" CRT @2048x1536 85Hz Asus VG248QE 144Hz Lightboost Ducky Legend Blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX750 Raven RV-02 Logitech 502 Proteus SteelSeries fnatic QcK+ Limited Edition 
AudioAudio
Fiio E10k Audio Technica ATH-AD900x 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H Nvidia GeForce 9600GT SLI 8GB Kingston CL9 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Intel 320 SSD Scythe Yasya Windows 8 x64 LG Flatron 
Power
Antec HCG 520W 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Hot Hardware] Irate Gamers Launch Campaign Over Dark Souls II Console Graphics Downgrade