Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Hot Hardware] Irate Gamers Launch Campaign Over Dark Souls II Console Graphics Downgrade
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Hot Hardware] Irate Gamers Launch Campaign Over Dark Souls II Console Graphics Downgrade - Page 22

post #211 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2spartan View Post

If money was the issue, he would have said so. He said time because that's what he meant. They most likely wanted to reserve that time for other projects (namely DS2), thus DS1 pc took a back seat on their time and priority list. Either way, the point still is, DO NOT RELEASE AN UNOPTIMIZED PORT even if a select few petition for it because in the long run that isnt doing your company any favors with the vast majority of pc gamers. Do customers trust you in the future, even if you happen to tell them you are building DS2 with a pc first mindset? I'm guessing a DS1 port didn't help their cause. What really helped their cause is steam and massively reducing the price.

The last comment you made is just some pretty ridiculous stuff. rolleyes.gif

I am going to jump in and disagree with you. Typically, when a game seems to be developed as a multi platform title from the start, and is released with certain features missing, I would agree. But I was there following the story when the petition was happening and all that. They made it pretty clear that it was going to be pretty much a straight port from the consoles. Yes, they did not spend much time trying to add features to the game for the pc version, but the pc version was never even on the table for them. It was an after thought after all these people signed the petition. Though you say that the petitioners are a minority of pc gamers, this may be true. However, I would guess that those petitioners are the majority of Dark Souls pc players. When you talk about Dxfix of course people are going to use it, it does not mean the game is broken. They use it for the same reason Skyrim users mod, or let alone any games that use mods. It is to enhance the experience. So I will give them a pass for the Dark Souls port because it seemed to be an after thought from a small studio due to the uproar from the pc community for a port. If it had been developed from the get go for pc my reaction would be different. Having said that we will see how the Dark Souls 2 pc version turns out.

Just going to add and reply to some quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2spartan View Post

And besides do you think a petition basically asking for a direct port is doing any favors for the pc community? While we are on that road already of getting console ports, accepting it and saying this is what you want or are willing to put up with doesnt help pc and its current place/status in the gaming industry.
In a way, yes I do think the petition helped the pc community. For example, it helped get Darksouls 1 onto pc. The result of that is now getting Darksouls 2 on pc. How good or bad Darksouls 2 is I believe will have a big impact on their pc followers because now they have no excuse, due to being developed for pc from the get go. The flip side of not having the petition was not having the game on pc at all.
Quote:
“We did know there were PC-specific features like key-mapping and use of the mouse and keyboard, high resolution and higher frame rate, stuff like that, but… It’s not that we ignored it, but it would have taken too much time for us to implement it, test it and get it up to the level people expected.
All this talks about is time. They say it would have taken too much time to implement. This does not mean that pc developing experience was not an issue. One can also come to the conclusion that because of not having pc developing experts that it would add time to the development process, or in other words, take too much time to develop for. Of course they were not going to spend much money on the pc version, it was a new market with no following for them. They needed to test the waters first with Darksouls first. There are times when I will give developers a pass. How much money and how large are the developers? How much time did they have to develop? In the case of a game like BF4 when released, I do not really give them a pass because they have a lot of money behind them.
Edited by IBooNI - 3/20/14 at 11:32pm
Desktop
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsCooling
I7 2600k Asus P8Z77A-V Pro Gtx 670 Hyper 212+ 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Asus xonar essence st Bottlehead Crack+Speedball Headphone Amp Sennheiser Hd650 M-Audio Bx8-D2 
  hide details  
Reply
Desktop
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsCooling
I7 2600k Asus P8Z77A-V Pro Gtx 670 Hyper 212+ 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Asus xonar essence st Bottlehead Crack+Speedball Headphone Amp Sennheiser Hd650 M-Audio Bx8-D2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #212 of 241
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by theturbofd View Post

Ah I see now, they're incompetent because they don't have the same mindset as you. Everything you replied with in this thread makes sense now. Well from what I see there's no point in arguing with someone so close minded. Have a nice day! thumb.gif

Nope. Just people who defend ported games. People who are accepting to publishers continuing deceptive trend. And the people who feed these marketing gimmicks by preordering games.

Preordering on steam is ridiculous if you really give it some thought....actually you don't have to give it much thought. Just don't do it. What? you wanted a cool sword or a nice weapon attachment?rolleyes.gif
Iron Patriot
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4930K ASUS Rampage IV Gene EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Classified K|NGP|N Edition 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz (9-11-1... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
512gb Samsung Pro SSD Corsair H110 Windows 7 64 bit Samsung 23SA950D 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Vengeance K70 Corsair AX860 Corsair 350D Mionix Naos 7000 
Mouse PadAudio
Corepad Deskpad XXXXL Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 
  hide details  
Reply
Iron Patriot
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4930K ASUS Rampage IV Gene EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Classified K|NGP|N Edition 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz (9-11-1... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
512gb Samsung Pro SSD Corsair H110 Windows 7 64 bit Samsung 23SA950D 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Vengeance K70 Corsair AX860 Corsair 350D Mionix Naos 7000 
Mouse PadAudio
Corepad Deskpad XXXXL Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #213 of 241
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBooNI View Post

I am going to jump in and disagree with you. Typically, when a game seems to be developed as a multi platform title from the start, and is released with certain features missing, I would agree. But I was there following the story when the petition was happening and all that. They made it pretty clear that it was going to be pretty much a straight port from the consoles. Yes, they did not spend much time trying to add features to the game for the pc version, but the pc version was never even on the table for them. It was an after thought after all these people signed the petition. Though you say that the petitioners are a minority of pc gamers, this may be true. However, I would guess that those petitioners are the majority of Dark Souls pc players. When you talk about Dxfix of course people are going to use it, it does not mean the game is broken. They use it for the same reason Skyrim users mod, or let alone any games that use mods. It is to enhance the experience. So I will give them a pass for the Dark Souls port because it seemed to be an after thought from a small studio due to the uproar from the pc community for a port. If it had been developed from the get go for pc my reaction would be different. Having said that we will see how the Dark Souls 2 pc version turns out.

You mean pretty clear to those who petitioned for it? It wasn't, however, present and clear in advertisement though? I'm betting more eyes saw their ads for the game then the select few who followed the petition.

I am fortunate enough to understand modding. I mod Skyrim like crazy but I don't think it is so far fetched to believe most people aren't that way. They purchase a game and expect it to run well with their system.

So you and that petition of dark souls community wanted a port?....Well, we can end an argument there because wanting an unoptimized game is just not me. I'm not as accepting to ports as some others are.

But go on and petition away for future ports if that makes you happy.thumb.gif
Edited by h2spartan - 3/20/14 at 11:25pm
Iron Patriot
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4930K ASUS Rampage IV Gene EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Classified K|NGP|N Edition 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz (9-11-1... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
512gb Samsung Pro SSD Corsair H110 Windows 7 64 bit Samsung 23SA950D 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Vengeance K70 Corsair AX860 Corsair 350D Mionix Naos 7000 
Mouse PadAudio
Corepad Deskpad XXXXL Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 
  hide details  
Reply
Iron Patriot
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4930K ASUS Rampage IV Gene EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Classified K|NGP|N Edition 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz (9-11-1... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
512gb Samsung Pro SSD Corsair H110 Windows 7 64 bit Samsung 23SA950D 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Vengeance K70 Corsair AX860 Corsair 350D Mionix Naos 7000 
Mouse PadAudio
Corepad Deskpad XXXXL Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #214 of 241
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBooNI View Post

.

Just going to add and reply to some quotes:
In a way, yes I do think the petition helped the pc community. For example, it helped get Darksouls 1 onto pc. The result of that is now getting Darksouls 2 on pc. How good or bad Darksouls 2 is I believe will have a big impact on their pc followers because now they have no excuse, due to being developed for pc from the get go. The flip side of not having the petition was not having the game on pc at all.

Yes petitions can have a positive effect, But if DS2 turns out better optimized for the pc, I would think it had more to do with people expressing their frustration with the original's state which is why the publisher spoke on it. He obviously knew there was concern for how DS2 would turn out, which is why they made mention it is being designed with pc in mind this time around.
Iron Patriot
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4930K ASUS Rampage IV Gene EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Classified K|NGP|N Edition 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz (9-11-1... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
512gb Samsung Pro SSD Corsair H110 Windows 7 64 bit Samsung 23SA950D 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Vengeance K70 Corsair AX860 Corsair 350D Mionix Naos 7000 
Mouse PadAudio
Corepad Deskpad XXXXL Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 
  hide details  
Reply
Iron Patriot
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4930K ASUS Rampage IV Gene EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Classified K|NGP|N Edition 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz (9-11-1... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
512gb Samsung Pro SSD Corsair H110 Windows 7 64 bit Samsung 23SA950D 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Vengeance K70 Corsair AX860 Corsair 350D Mionix Naos 7000 
Mouse PadAudio
Corepad Deskpad XXXXL Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #215 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2spartan View Post

Nope. Just people who defend ported games. People who are accepting to publishers continuing deceptive trend. And the people who feed these marketing gimmicks by preordering games.

Preordering on steam is ridiculous if you really give it some thought....actually you don't have to give it much thought. Just don't do it. What? you wanted a cool sword or a nice weapon attachment?rolleyes.gif

Don't pre order on steam because you said so, gotcha!
post #216 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2spartan View Post

And besides do you think a petition basically asking for a direct port is doing any favors for the pc community? While we are on that road already of getting console ports, accepting it and saying this is what you want or are willing to put up with doesnt help pc and its current place/status in the gaming industry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2spartan View Post

You mean pretty clear to those who petitioned for it? It wasn't, however, present and clear in advertisement though? I'm betting more eyes saw their ads for the game then the select few who followed the petition.

I am fortunate enough to understand modding. I mod Skyrim like crazy but I don't think it is so far fetched to believe most people aren't that way. They purchase a game and expect it to run well with their system.

So you and that petition of dark souls community wanted a port?....Well, we can end an argument there because wanting an unoptimized game is just not me. I'm not as accepting to ports as some others are.

But go on and petition away for future ports if that makes you happy.thumb.gif

The petitioners wanted the game. They were willing to settle for a port if the alternative was no game for pc. To say the select few that signed the petition, I don't know if you do know how many signed but it was at least in the region of 70,000. TO say a select few is downplaying the kind of attention it was getting. Also, of course the ad was seen by more people than that signed the petition and/or bought the game. The same can be said for.....any ad...ever?

Just to add, when they released Darksouls on PC they were upfront about the game being a port. So there was no deceptiveness going on.

Here is the actual link to the petition. it was around 93,500 actually. http://petitionbureau.org/DarkSoulsForPC
Edited by IBooNI - 3/20/14 at 11:46pm
Desktop
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsCooling
I7 2600k Asus P8Z77A-V Pro Gtx 670 Hyper 212+ 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Asus xonar essence st Bottlehead Crack+Speedball Headphone Amp Sennheiser Hd650 M-Audio Bx8-D2 
  hide details  
Reply
Desktop
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsCooling
I7 2600k Asus P8Z77A-V Pro Gtx 670 Hyper 212+ 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Asus xonar essence st Bottlehead Crack+Speedball Headphone Amp Sennheiser Hd650 M-Audio Bx8-D2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #217 of 241
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by theturbofd View Post

Don't pre order on steam because you said so, gotcha!

Ports are good, gotcha!thumb.gif
Iron Patriot
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4930K ASUS Rampage IV Gene EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Classified K|NGP|N Edition 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz (9-11-1... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
512gb Samsung Pro SSD Corsair H110 Windows 7 64 bit Samsung 23SA950D 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Vengeance K70 Corsair AX860 Corsair 350D Mionix Naos 7000 
Mouse PadAudio
Corepad Deskpad XXXXL Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 
  hide details  
Reply
Iron Patriot
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4930K ASUS Rampage IV Gene EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Classified K|NGP|N Edition 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz (9-11-1... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
512gb Samsung Pro SSD Corsair H110 Windows 7 64 bit Samsung 23SA950D 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Vengeance K70 Corsair AX860 Corsair 350D Mionix Naos 7000 
Mouse PadAudio
Corepad Deskpad XXXXL Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #218 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2spartan View Post

Ports are good, gotcha!thumb.gif

=/= nice try though
post #219 of 241
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBooNI View Post


The petitioners wanted the game. They were willing to settle for a port if the alternative was no game for pc. To say the select few that signed the petition, I don't know if you do know how many signed but it was at least in the region of 70,000. TO say a select few is downplaying the kind of attention it was getting. Also, of course the ad was seen by more people than that signed the petition and/or bought the game. The same can be said for.....any ad...ever?

Just to add, when they released Darksouls on PC they were upfront about the game being a port. So there was no deceptiveness going on.

To say 70k is downplaying total pc sales as if everyone who purchased the game was in on the petition or was aware of it.

Thanks for making my point about ads. It's not a stretch to say more people buy based off of ads and not petitions lol....
Iron Patriot
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4930K ASUS Rampage IV Gene EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Classified K|NGP|N Edition 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz (9-11-1... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
512gb Samsung Pro SSD Corsair H110 Windows 7 64 bit Samsung 23SA950D 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Vengeance K70 Corsair AX860 Corsair 350D Mionix Naos 7000 
Mouse PadAudio
Corepad Deskpad XXXXL Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 
  hide details  
Reply
Iron Patriot
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4930K ASUS Rampage IV Gene EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Classified K|NGP|N Edition 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz (9-11-1... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
512gb Samsung Pro SSD Corsair H110 Windows 7 64 bit Samsung 23SA950D 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Vengeance K70 Corsair AX860 Corsair 350D Mionix Naos 7000 
Mouse PadAudio
Corepad Deskpad XXXXL Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #220 of 241
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by theturbofd View Post

=/= nice try though

I see the substance of your content is diminishing with each new post. I would hope most are educated and informed enough to see through your thought process.
Iron Patriot
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4930K ASUS Rampage IV Gene EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Classified K|NGP|N Edition 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz (9-11-1... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
512gb Samsung Pro SSD Corsair H110 Windows 7 64 bit Samsung 23SA950D 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Vengeance K70 Corsair AX860 Corsair 350D Mionix Naos 7000 
Mouse PadAudio
Corepad Deskpad XXXXL Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 
  hide details  
Reply
Iron Patriot
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4930K ASUS Rampage IV Gene EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Classified K|NGP|N Edition 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz (9-11-1... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
512gb Samsung Pro SSD Corsair H110 Windows 7 64 bit Samsung 23SA950D 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Vengeance K70 Corsair AX860 Corsair 350D Mionix Naos 7000 
Mouse PadAudio
Corepad Deskpad XXXXL Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Hot Hardware] Irate Gamers Launch Campaign Over Dark Souls II Console Graphics Downgrade