Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [gog.com] (Steam-like games portal) to support Linux
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[gog.com] (Steam-like games portal) to support Linux - Page 3

post #21 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15130 View Post

Yeah, I think he meant that as "Steam-like, minus the drms". He just made a small jump because it was easy to explain that way smile.gif

I didn't explain it that way because it doesn't need explaining.

It's like saying two music stores are not similar businesses because one uses DRM and the other does not. Regardless of your opinion of DRM, they're both still online music stores.
post #22 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoublejj View Post

bud why not post to the news section or was it already posted?

EDIT: guess i just said what the first guy did.

Because the news section is 99% trolls. There's only a handful of people that post anything on-topic or helpful in the news section. The rest just go out on their usual hate sprees. Example; News thread about Apple releasing a new product... Instead of talking about the new product, the Apple haters just roll in and start talking about about Apple, or why they hate Apple and everything off-topic. Usually they read 1 word from the title ( "Apple" in my example ) and just go off from there, not realizing that just because that word is in the title, doesn't make that what the threads about.

Same for Linux related threads. For some reason they always turn to either " Windows is better " or just flat out " Linux sucks, what's the point " threads. Just like every ATI/AMD/Nvidia/Intel/etc/etc threads that come up.

This site's main population is pure crap. Nothing but kids who don't have any forum etiquette, no manners, and overall bad attitudes. Hard to have any kind of discussion when the instant you disagree with someone they start name calling or other " insults. "



Posting Linux news, in the Linux section alleviates 99% of the problem by simply keeping the Linux news where the Linux people who are most interested in it, can and will find it. Sure we get the evangelical Windows fan-boy troll in here every once in a while, but they don't normally last long.




Anyways, this is great news. Another relatively good name in the fight of supporting Linux gaming. The more there is the further we can go, doesn't matter if they're old ports, indies, or new AAA titles... they all help toward the common goal.
post #23 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrak View Post

Sure we get the evangelical Windows fan-boy troll in here every once in a while, but they don't normally last long.

To be fair, the Windows fanboys are easy to handle. It's the FOSS supporters who hate Linux that generates most of the trolling.

I agree with everything you've said though.
post #24 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

Oh don't be so melodramatic. We both know Steam isn't literally DRM.
Mate, what makes you say it's not?
post #25 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baghi View Post

Mate, what makes you say it's not?

Knowing the difference between "DRM", and "a games distribution software package with inbuilt DRM", is what makes me say that.

DRM is part of the product; it's not the product.
post #26 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

I didn't explain it that way because it doesn't need explaining.

Yeah, what I meant. Made it easier to explain by skipping what didn't need to be said. Oh well wink.gif
post #27 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15130 View Post

Yeah, what I meant. Made it easier to explain by skipping what didn't need to be said. Oh well wink.gif

Ahh sorry smile.gif
post #28 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

To be fair, the Windows fanboys are easy to handle.

Back in the day on IRC, 'doze fanboys commonly got handled by "visitors"... usually many Vikings in Longboats biggrin.gif
NewMain
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 - 3550 Asrock Z77 Extreme4 Gigabyte GTX 760  4x2GB Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate SATA 2TB x 2  Plextor PX-891SAW CM-Hyper N520 Slackware 14, Studio KUbuntu, OpenSuSe 12.3, Wi... 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
32" Vizio HDTV + DLP Logitech Wireless Corsair HX-850 Antec Sonata I 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Razer DeathAdder 2013 dual ESI Juli@ CoolGear ExtSata Enclosure w/ Optical and 3TB S... 
  hide details  
Reply
NewMain
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 - 3550 Asrock Z77 Extreme4 Gigabyte GTX 760  4x2GB Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate SATA 2TB x 2  Plextor PX-891SAW CM-Hyper N520 Slackware 14, Studio KUbuntu, OpenSuSe 12.3, Wi... 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
32" Vizio HDTV + DLP Logitech Wireless Corsair HX-850 Antec Sonata I 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Razer DeathAdder 2013 dual ESI Juli@ CoolGear ExtSata Enclosure w/ Optical and 3TB S... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 51
Let's not forget the specific part of the title in question " Steam-like GAMES PORTAL " emphasis on the game portal side of things and not the DRM side.
post #30 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrak View Post

Let's not forget the specific part of the title in question " Steam-like GAMES PORTAL " emphasis on the game portal side of things and not the DRM side.
Makes sense.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [gog.com] (Steam-like games portal) to support Linux