Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Cooling Experiments ›  Epic cooling Experiment with graphene.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Epic cooling Experiment with graphene. - Page 2

post #11 of 46
Thread Starter 
i had a problem with all the coating i did to the block
the graphene worn off with vinegar or water ...
so i had to protect it with a thin layer of copper

Electrolysis works like charm ... :

Phoenix N°1
(9 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 Z77A-GD55 (MS-7751) Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 MSI GTX 770 Gaming 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveMouse
MSI GTX 770 Gaming corsair vengeance 1600 ddr3  ssd evo RAT 7 
Audio
razer tiamat 7.1  
  hide details  
Reply
Phoenix N°1
(9 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 Z77A-GD55 (MS-7751) Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 MSI GTX 770 Gaming 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveMouse
MSI GTX 770 Gaming corsair vengeance 1600 ddr3  ssd evo RAT 7 
Audio
razer tiamat 7.1  
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 46
Most interesting, Im contemplating to do the opposite of you, to coat carbon body with copper and use that material as computer case.
As much I have figured out graphene is thermaly conductive in its 2D lattice, so... it would need to be having contact with CPU at one end of it and transfer heat to another way.
Instead of electroplating copper block... why not try to electroplate really dense seandwitch of really thin copper straws/wire, something that would look like cut in middle really fat cable? or maybe try some dense copper sponge and electroplate it with graphene.

Plus did I miss something but in pencils is mix of graphite and clay, graphene is there in graphite in traces but to get it you need to process graphite and separate it out.

Check youtube, there are really handy DIY make your self carbon, graphite and graphene process Il try this summer, not all requiere high temperature furnaces thank God...

Plus
This make me thinking... When you are playing with electroplating atm could you do some testing and trying to do some electropolish onto lapped metal surface??? Im really interested to try some electropolish onto lapped heatsinks and what kind of effect onto heatsink heat transfer will that have smile.gif

EDIT:
plus when you electroplate... it would be handy to have ... the surface of side that is giving away material at last of equal surface and in direct opposite to surface you are coating, that way material plating should plate equally.
Plus when electroplating copper use Copper(II) sulfate, can be bought enywhere and is cheap

Edit: damn Im ussing to much plus...
Edited by Hrv123 - 3/20/14 at 1:13pm
W.T. test case 2
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-6300 SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 Sapphire HD 7790 2GB Patriot Memory  
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingMonitor
ST9120821AS ATA AC Freezer A30 Gentle tphoon AP-31 SyncMaster 757dfx 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logytech clasic keyboard 200 Thermaltake Smart SE 630w DIY case Acme MA04 
  hide details  
Reply
W.T. test case 2
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-6300 SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 Sapphire HD 7790 2GB Patriot Memory  
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingMonitor
ST9120821AS ATA AC Freezer A30 Gentle tphoon AP-31 SyncMaster 757dfx 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logytech clasic keyboard 200 Thermaltake Smart SE 630w DIY case Acme MA04 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrv123 View Post

Most interesting, Im contemplating to do the opposite of you, to coat carbon body with copper and use that material as computer case.
As much I have figured out graphene is thermaly conductive in its 2D lattice, so... it would need to be having contact with CPU at one end of it and transfer heat to another way.
Instead of electroplating copper block... why not try to electroplate really dense seandwitch of really thin copper straws/wire, something that would look like cut in middle really fat cable? or maybe try some dense copper sponge and electroplate it with graphene.

Plus did I miss something but in pencils is mix of graphite and clay, graphene is there in graphite in traces but to get it you need to process graphite and separate it out.

Check youtube, there are really handy DIY make your self carbon, graphite and graphene process Il try this summer, not all requiere high temperature furnaces thank God...

Plus
This make me thinking... When you are playing with electroplating atm could you do some testing and trying to do some electropolish onto lapped metal surface??? Im really interested to try some electropolish onto lapped heatsinks and what kind of effect onto heatsink heat transfer will that have smile.gif

EDIT:
plus when you electroplate... it would be handy to have ... the surface of side that is giving away material at last of equal surface and in direct opposite to surface you are coating, that way material plating should plate equally.
Plus when electroplating copper use Copper(II) sulfate, can be bought enywhere and is cheap

Edit: damn Im using to much plus...
sorry i did not read your post i did removed my cpu block to do an actual test .


to do a good electroplate you will need CuSo4 if you gona make a copper plate

nikel is the best plating tongue.gif
i did try to electroplate small Ram heatsink the plate was Sticky and slime like you can wipe it out with fingers ...
i will try more test for you my friend but trust me its very fun to electroplate tongue.gif



but here's what i have realized , graphene cannot be electroplated to other metals .
trying to electroplating copper to graphene is worthless , vinegar or CuSo4 or water will wash off the graphene

Graphene oxide is non conductive .... so this leave only one way to use graphene simple coating with a blade and graphene thermal paste







i did coat My XSPC RayStorm with Graphene and sand it . first run in prime95 is not very good i had lower temps

cooling is not Steady

at 3.9 Ghz normal clock
Code:
A                MAX                   OLD A 
Core1                 47                50                           54
Core 2                51                54                           56
Core 3                48                51                           52
Core 4                48                50                           57

2-4 degrees celsius extra cooling

overclocking 4.5 Ghz 1.3 V : ( odd result )
Code:
A                            Max 

Core 1                   57                       58
Core 2                   62                       66
Core 3                   61                       64
      Core4                    62                       63   
        

OLDA : NAN







i got a little bumpy surface , so i did polishing :








Edited by HitMe - 3/20/14 at 2:05pm
Phoenix N°1
(9 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 Z77A-GD55 (MS-7751) Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 MSI GTX 770 Gaming 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveMouse
MSI GTX 770 Gaming corsair vengeance 1600 ddr3  ssd evo RAT 7 
Audio
razer tiamat 7.1  
  hide details  
Reply
Phoenix N°1
(9 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 Z77A-GD55 (MS-7751) Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 MSI GTX 770 Gaming 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveMouse
MSI GTX 770 Gaming corsair vengeance 1600 ddr3  ssd evo RAT 7 
Audio
razer tiamat 7.1  
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 46
Hmmm... electroplating copper wire bundle with pure carbon ( or graphite rod from old accumulator battery ?) and then heating that up until that graphite turns into graphene? Dont use oxide version. There are recipes on youtube for that. Think that one only uses basic oven for couple of days. Will have to recheck all that again smile.gif
W.T. test case 2
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-6300 SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 Sapphire HD 7790 2GB Patriot Memory  
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingMonitor
ST9120821AS ATA AC Freezer A30 Gentle tphoon AP-31 SyncMaster 757dfx 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logytech clasic keyboard 200 Thermaltake Smart SE 630w DIY case Acme MA04 
  hide details  
Reply
W.T. test case 2
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-6300 SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 Sapphire HD 7790 2GB Patriot Memory  
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingMonitor
ST9120821AS ATA AC Freezer A30 Gentle tphoon AP-31 SyncMaster 757dfx 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logytech clasic keyboard 200 Thermaltake Smart SE 630w DIY case Acme MA04 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 46
Interesting read...but I have some doubts...for similar reasons I became interested in Panasonic's PGS (pyrolytic graphite sheets), they like wise offer very high conductivity values in a 2D plane.

It is very easy to be seduced by these high conductivity values until you actually do the maths.

The problem is these sheets of PGS are very thin and I guess the thickness of your coating layers are also thin. When you consider the total amount of heat energy that can be moved in the 2D plane of these sheets for a given heat delta then this is a product not only of the conductivity value but also of the area of the 2D plane the heat is moving through ie the area of the edge of the coating material or film which is very low......so when you put these figures into an equation you will find that the heat moved by such coatings is really minimal because of their thinness.
post #16 of 46
So Quiet
(16 items)
 
Router
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820K X99-A EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC GSkill Ripjaw V 4x8GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S 10 EDU 2x Dell U2715H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Storm gunmetal and browns Cooler Master V850 Cooler Master XB EVO Logitech G403 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
TECKNET Fluance SX6  S.M.S.L SA-60 Intel PRO/1000 PT Quad Port 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Xeon E3-1225 V3 Gigabyte H81M-DS2V Crucial Ballistix Sport 2X2GB  Hitachi Deskstar 320GB 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Cryorig M9i pfSense Capstone 450W Rosewill RSV-L4500 
OtherOther
Intel 9301CT Intel 9301CT 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E3-1225 V3 Asrock Rack C226 WS HD P4600 Crucial 16GB ECC  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial MX100  4 WD Red 2TB RAID 0+1 HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB Yep 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Stock Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard Seasonic 450RM Rosewill RSV-L4500 
Other
Intel PRO/1000 PT Quad Port 
  hide details  
Reply
So Quiet
(16 items)
 
Router
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820K X99-A EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC GSkill Ripjaw V 4x8GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S 10 EDU 2x Dell U2715H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Storm gunmetal and browns Cooler Master V850 Cooler Master XB EVO Logitech G403 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
TECKNET Fluance SX6  S.M.S.L SA-60 Intel PRO/1000 PT Quad Port 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Xeon E3-1225 V3 Gigabyte H81M-DS2V Crucial Ballistix Sport 2X2GB  Hitachi Deskstar 320GB 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Cryorig M9i pfSense Capstone 450W Rosewill RSV-L4500 
OtherOther
Intel 9301CT Intel 9301CT 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E3-1225 V3 Asrock Rack C226 WS HD P4600 Crucial 16GB ECC  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial MX100  4 WD Red 2TB RAID 0+1 HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB Yep 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Stock Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard Seasonic 450RM Rosewill RSV-L4500 
Other
Intel PRO/1000 PT Quad Port 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 46
Thread Starter 

pure Graphene and Graphene Oxide is not Toxic it's the base that may be the poison , the 2D graphene layer is very thin and human-cells don't know if its even there. and there's a big future development in materials and biomedical sciences.
in large quantity yes toxic . still i'm not gona eat it tongue.gif


Quote:
Originally Posted by technogiant View Post

Interesting read...but I have some doubts...for similar reasons I became interested in Panasonic's PGS (pyrolytic graphite sheets), they like wise offer very high conductivity values in a 2D plane.

It is very easy to be seduced by these high conductivity values until you actually do the maths.

The problem is these sheets of PGS are very thin and I guess the thickness of your coating layers are also thin. When you consider the total amount of heat energy that can be moved in the 2D plane of these sheets for a given heat delta then this is a product not only of the conductivity value but also of the area of the 2D plane the heat is moving through ie the area of the edge of the coating material or film which is very low......so when you put these figures into an equation you will find that the heat moved by such coatings is really minimal because of their thinness.
mixing Graphene with paint reduced heat 16 °c

i will do some painting to my radiators tongue.gif
Phoenix N°1
(9 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 Z77A-GD55 (MS-7751) Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 MSI GTX 770 Gaming 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveMouse
MSI GTX 770 Gaming corsair vengeance 1600 ddr3  ssd evo RAT 7 
Audio
razer tiamat 7.1  
  hide details  
Reply
Phoenix N°1
(9 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 Z77A-GD55 (MS-7751) Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 MSI GTX 770 Gaming 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveMouse
MSI GTX 770 Gaming corsair vengeance 1600 ddr3  ssd evo RAT 7 
Audio
razer tiamat 7.1  
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 46
That's not really proof of your argument......that coating is just enhancing the emissivity of the surface....shiny metal surfaces are known to have a low emissivity and the graphene coating is just improving on that.....also the power source is just 12w...hardly comparable to an Oced core i7.

Emissivity is not comparable to conductivity and the amount of heat energy that can be moved by such a thin layer of graphene which is the problem with your proposal......but good luck with it anyways thumb.gif
Edited by technogiant - 3/23/14 at 1:25am
post #19 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by technogiant View Post

That's not really proof of your argument......that coating is just enhancing the emissivity of the surface....shiny metal surfaces are known to have a low emissivity and the graphene coating is just improving on that.....also the power source is just 12w...hardly comparable to an Oced core i7.

Emissivity is not comparable to conductivity and the amount of heat energy that can be moved by such a thin layer of graphene which is the problem with your proposal......but good luck with it anyways thumb.gif
thats true , the gain is not a full thermal conductivity of graphene , but 25% is great
Graphene Enhances Efficiency of Heat Spreaders by 25 Percent

in my case the coating is like thermal paste .
but a gain of 4-3 degree celsius over ic7 diamond thats great .

i will mix the Graphene with acrylic based paint and repaint the radiators to see the difference
Edited by HitMe - 3/23/14 at 9:25am
Phoenix N°1
(9 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 Z77A-GD55 (MS-7751) Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 MSI GTX 770 Gaming 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveMouse
MSI GTX 770 Gaming corsair vengeance 1600 ddr3  ssd evo RAT 7 
Audio
razer tiamat 7.1  
  hide details  
Reply
Phoenix N°1
(9 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 Z77A-GD55 (MS-7751) Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 MSI GTX 770 Gaming 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveMouse
MSI GTX 770 Gaming corsair vengeance 1600 ddr3  ssd evo RAT 7 
Audio
razer tiamat 7.1  
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 46
hmm... how about making open reach graphene pump? I mean...


You dismantle your cover from cpu, fix some other cover with pump that will make your graphene flow directly from cpu to heatsink and that would make your graphene take out all the temp directly from cpu. Also idea is to make a hybrid cooling solution from graphene and ln2 that will make your graphene flow in copper pipe torough ln2 tank, it will cool down graphene in slice of time and such cold graphene would hit ur cpu, then pumped out back to ln2 tank and again.


the openflow of graphene would make temp transfer even better without cover, graphene block would be sticked to cpu pcb with silicone or other non damaging glue.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cooling Experiments
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Cooling Experiments ›  Epic cooling Experiment with graphene.