Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [IGN] SimCity Offline Mode Launches Today
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[IGN] SimCity Offline Mode Launches Today - Page 6

post #51 of 98
so, i thought that this game can't be possibly played offline because:
Quote:
"There is a massive amount of computing that goes into all of this, and GlassBox works by attributing portions of the computing to EA servers (the cloud) and some on the player’s local computer."
yeah, EA is one big liar.
post #52 of 98
I have some constructive feedback as an actual player and not just complaining about it as someone who has never played.

Game play is so smooth on single player and switching being cities in the same region is super quick. Load times between online and offline are night and day. EA should just get rid of the online play honestly.. single player experience and playability is like a different game, much improved.

I think this game would really shine with the addition of a Local LAN option and dedicated player servers. Considering the game plays 10x better locally then in EA's "cloud" I could see larger cities in the future... holding my breath but a man can dream.. thumb.gif
The Warlock
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k Stock Asus Maximus VIII Ranger PNY GTX 1080 Founders Edition 16 GB G-Skill Trident-Z DDR4-3200 CL15 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 Pro 256GB x2 RAID 0 Corsair 110GTX Windows 10 Pro Dell SD21716DG 1440p 144hz G-Sync 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Anasi TT 750W Gold Phanteks P400S Razer Deathadder 
Audio
SteelSeries Siberia 800 
  hide details  
Reply
The Warlock
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k Stock Asus Maximus VIII Ranger PNY GTX 1080 Founders Edition 16 GB G-Skill Trident-Z DDR4-3200 CL15 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 Pro 256GB x2 RAID 0 Corsair 110GTX Windows 10 Pro Dell SD21716DG 1440p 144hz G-Sync 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Anasi TT 750W Gold Phanteks P400S Razer Deathadder 
Audio
SteelSeries Siberia 800 
  hide details  
Reply
post #53 of 98
so....

is the myth of cloud computing dead finally...

not just simcity but the buzzword cloud computing as a whole?
Gaming Rig
(15 items)
 
Sons Rig
(11 items)
 
File Server
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7 4790K ASUS Z97-WS Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
16 Gb's Mushkin DDR3 @ 1600 MHz Crucial M500 SSD 240gb Coolit ECO C240 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorMonitorPowerCase
ASUS PB287Q 4K Monitor HTC Vive Coolermaster Silent Pro M 1000W Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder 2013 Steelseries Qck Mass Super Thick Cloth Mouse Pad Genius SW-G2.1 1250 4PC Gaming Speakers 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7 3770k Asus P8Z68 Deluxe Galaxy Geforce GTX 780 Galaxy Geforce GTX 780 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
16 Gb's G.Skill DDR3 1866 Crucial M500 SSD 240Gb Coolit ECO C240 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorPowerCase
Benq G2420HD Coolermaster Silent Pro 1000 Watt Deepcool Kendomen 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Core i3 2120 Supermicro X9SCM-F 4 Gb Kingston 1600mhz DDR3 ECC 12 Segate 2tb drives (RAID 6) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
ADATA SP600 SSD 24 Toshiba DT01ACA200 drives (2 RAID 6's) Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. OCZ ZT750 Supermicro PWS-665-PQ 
CaseOtherOtherOther
Norco 4020 and Norco 4224 LSI 9260-4i Raid Card Intel RES2SV240 20 port Expander. HP SAS 24 por... Voltaire 410Ex Hca Infiniband HBA 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(15 items)
 
Sons Rig
(11 items)
 
File Server
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7 4790K ASUS Z97-WS Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
16 Gb's Mushkin DDR3 @ 1600 MHz Crucial M500 SSD 240gb Coolit ECO C240 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorMonitorPowerCase
ASUS PB287Q 4K Monitor HTC Vive Coolermaster Silent Pro M 1000W Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder 2013 Steelseries Qck Mass Super Thick Cloth Mouse Pad Genius SW-G2.1 1250 4PC Gaming Speakers 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7 3770k Asus P8Z68 Deluxe Galaxy Geforce GTX 780 Galaxy Geforce GTX 780 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
16 Gb's G.Skill DDR3 1866 Crucial M500 SSD 240Gb Coolit ECO C240 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorPowerCase
Benq G2420HD Coolermaster Silent Pro 1000 Watt Deepcool Kendomen 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Core i3 2120 Supermicro X9SCM-F 4 Gb Kingston 1600mhz DDR3 ECC 12 Segate 2tb drives (RAID 6) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
ADATA SP600 SSD 24 Toshiba DT01ACA200 drives (2 RAID 6's) Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. OCZ ZT750 Supermicro PWS-665-PQ 
CaseOtherOtherOther
Norco 4020 and Norco 4224 LSI 9260-4i Raid Card Intel RES2SV240 20 port Expander. HP SAS 24 por... Voltaire 410Ex Hca Infiniband HBA 
  hide details  
Reply
post #54 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider85 View Post

so, i thought that this game can't be possibly played offline because:
yeah, EA is one big liar.
Quote:
The original creative vision for SimCity was to make a game where every action had an effect on other cities in your region. As such, we engineered the game to meet this vision, setting up the player’s PC (client) to communicate all of its information to the servers. That means that our entire architecture was written to support this, from the way that the simulation works to the way that you communicate across a region of cities. So yes, while someone was able to remove the “time check” shortly after launch, they were unable to perform key actions like communicating with other cities that they had created locally, or with the rest of their region(s), or even saving the current state of their cities.

My team did, however, see a path forward towards Offline, one that would maintain the integrity of the simulation. Lucy once said that Offline wouldn’t be possible “without a significant amount of engineering work”, and she’s right. By the time we’re finished we will have spent over 6 ½ months working to write and rewrite core parts of the game to get this to work. Even things that seem trivial, like the way that cities are saved and loaded, had to be completely reworked in order to make this feature function correctly.

What they said in the blog when they announced offline mode
http://www.simcity.com/en_US/blog/article/engineering-offline-play-for-simcity
Zetsubou
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k  Asus P8P67 Pro MSI GTX 970 SLI G-Skill 8GB 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
WD 1TB Black Samsung EVO 850 500GB Noctua NH-D14 Win 8.1 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Dell U2410 Seasonic X-750 CM 690 II Advance Razer Naga 
Mouse Pad
Goliathus Control 
  hide details  
Reply
Zetsubou
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k  Asus P8P67 Pro MSI GTX 970 SLI G-Skill 8GB 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
WD 1TB Black Samsung EVO 850 500GB Noctua NH-D14 Win 8.1 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Dell U2410 Seasonic X-750 CM 690 II Advance Razer Naga 
Mouse Pad
Goliathus Control 
  hide details  
Reply
post #55 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maou View Post


What they said in the blog when they announced offline mode
http://www.simcity.com/en_US/blog/article/engineering-offline-play-for-simcity

what they were telling us before is that the game is too cpu intensive that user's PCs alone won't gonna be able to handle the load, that's why the game is required to be online, to offload much of the calculations to the cloud. offline mode is not possible because conumers' PC won't gonna be able to handle all the load! how come it is possible now? witchcraft?


Quote:
The original creative vision for SimCity was to make a game where every action had an effect on other cities in your region. As such, we engineered the game to meet this vision, setting up the player’s PC (client) to communicate all of its information to the servers. That means that our entire architecture was written to support this, from the way that the simulation works to the way that you communicate across a region of cities

of course the player's PC have to communicate to the servers because of the said reason. just like every online games out there! but guess what? if they coded if to have an offline mode, then it doesn't need to communicate to servers because your city is not supposed to affect other cities. no need for the cloud computation. just like what they did right now.
Quote:
By the time we’re finished we will have spent over 6 ½ months working to write and rewrite core parts of the game to get this to work. Even things that seem trivial, like the way that cities are saved and loaded, had to be completely reworked in order to make this feature function correctly

of course they have to recode it, because they did not coded it with an offline mode from the beginning. stating the obvious?
Edited by ghostrider85 - 3/18/14 at 10:44pm
post #56 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Storm View Post

I can't even remember the last time I even heard any one talk about playing it...probably would have been last fall.

I might pick it up now...if for no other reason than to give positive feedback to EA on this decision to make an offline mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artev View Post

there was an offline mod released by crackers shortly after the game launched

It was only one map and quite buggy. Random crashes and you couldn't load your game so every time you had to go back from the beginning.
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790k MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X 2x8gb ADATA 2133MHz CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Mushkin 1 TB SSD & Samsung F3 spinpoint 1 TB MCP655A + 2 x MCP320 + EK supreme copper Win10 Corsair K70 Lux 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 750W Bitphenix Monstrous water cooling case Logitech G9X 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790k MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X 2x8gb ADATA 2133MHz CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Mushkin 1 TB SSD & Samsung F3 spinpoint 1 TB MCP655A + 2 x MCP320 + EK supreme copper Win10 Corsair K70 Lux 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 750W Bitphenix Monstrous water cooling case Logitech G9X 
  hide details  
Reply
post #57 of 98
But it's impossible for SimCity to have an offline mode...

If that is impossible, then this thread must be impossible. If this thread is impossible, then this forum must be impossible. If this forum is impossible, then this server must be impossible. If this server is impossible, then the internet is impossible. If the internet is impossible, then internet porn is impossible.

I was headed towards the universe being impossible, but I can safely stop there. We're all screwed.
Bueller
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K 4.7Ghz @ 1.36v Asus Sabertooth Z77 Gigabyte Windforce 780 Ti 3GB 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 9-10-9-27 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
256GB Samsung 840 Pro + RAID1 2TB 7200 Hitachis LG 6X Blu-ray Burner Corsair H100i Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VG236HE XArmor U9BL-S Enermax Galaxy Evo 1250W Corsair 600T 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 SteelSeries 5L O2DAC -> Corsair SP2500 (or O2 amp and Beyerdyn... 
  hide details  
Reply
Bueller
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K 4.7Ghz @ 1.36v Asus Sabertooth Z77 Gigabyte Windforce 780 Ti 3GB 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 9-10-9-27 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
256GB Samsung 840 Pro + RAID1 2TB 7200 Hitachis LG 6X Blu-ray Burner Corsair H100i Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VG236HE XArmor U9BL-S Enermax Galaxy Evo 1250W Corsair 600T 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 SteelSeries 5L O2DAC -> Corsair SP2500 (or O2 amp and Beyerdyn... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #58 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master__Shake View Post

so....

is the myth of cloud computing dead finally...

not just simcity but the buzzword cloud computing as a whole?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaldari View Post

But it's impossible for SimCity to have an offline mode...

If that is impossible, then this thread must be impossible. If this thread is impossible, then this forum must be impossible. If this forum is impossible, then this server must be impossible. If this server is impossible, then the internet is impossible. If the internet is impossible, then internet porn is impossible.

I was headed towards the universe being impossible, but I can safely stop there. We're all screwed.

Impossible....CEPTION?

biggrin.gif
The Warlock
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k Stock Asus Maximus VIII Ranger PNY GTX 1080 Founders Edition 16 GB G-Skill Trident-Z DDR4-3200 CL15 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 Pro 256GB x2 RAID 0 Corsair 110GTX Windows 10 Pro Dell SD21716DG 1440p 144hz G-Sync 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Anasi TT 750W Gold Phanteks P400S Razer Deathadder 
Audio
SteelSeries Siberia 800 
  hide details  
Reply
The Warlock
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k Stock Asus Maximus VIII Ranger PNY GTX 1080 Founders Edition 16 GB G-Skill Trident-Z DDR4-3200 CL15 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 Pro 256GB x2 RAID 0 Corsair 110GTX Windows 10 Pro Dell SD21716DG 1440p 144hz G-Sync 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Anasi TT 750W Gold Phanteks P400S Razer Deathadder 
Audio
SteelSeries Siberia 800 
  hide details  
Reply
post #59 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master__Shake View Post

so....

is the myth of cloud computing dead finally...

not just simcity but the buzzword cloud computing as a whole?

"cloud computing" is just a screwed up attemp to foil pirates.
post #60 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider85 View Post

"cloud computing" is just a screwed up attemp to foil pirates.

I don't think you're wrong. However, I don't think EA is entirely wrong here either. I understand what they're saying. Now whether you agree with it or not is a different story.

To call them liars, I think is inaccurate. It did, in fact, take them 6 1/2 months and 10 updates to get it to work "correctly" in an offline mode. So their original statment, "the game wouldn't work offline" as they intended it to, was not a lie. It's just not the way you and I wanted Sim City to work. You see the difference? The cost to EA is I won't buy the game; not because I hate them; I'm indifferent towards companies in general, but because it's not in line with the series that I'd grown up loving.

You see what I did there? It's called being "even handed."
Edited by LancerVI - 3/18/14 at 11:00pm
Red Obsidian
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4770K Asus Maximus VI Extreme Galaxy GTX 680 2GB DDR5 Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 4x8 32GB DDR3 CMY3... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SSD  Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB Koolance CPU-370 Koolance PMP-450 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Koolance HX-CU1320V 4x120 Copper Radiator Koolance HX-CU1020V 3x120 Copper Radiator Koolance HX-CU720V 2x120 Copper Radiator Koolance CTR-CD1224 12/24V Pump and Fan Controller 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Corsair AF120 High Performance Fans Windows 7 x64 Professional Dell S2409W Seasonic Platinum-1000  
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 900D Logitech G700 Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD  Logitech Z5500 THX 5.1 Surround System 
  hide details  
Reply
Red Obsidian
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4770K Asus Maximus VI Extreme Galaxy GTX 680 2GB DDR5 Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 4x8 32GB DDR3 CMY3... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SSD  Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB Koolance CPU-370 Koolance PMP-450 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Koolance HX-CU1320V 4x120 Copper Radiator Koolance HX-CU1020V 3x120 Copper Radiator Koolance HX-CU720V 2x120 Copper Radiator Koolance CTR-CD1224 12/24V Pump and Fan Controller 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Corsair AF120 High Performance Fans Windows 7 x64 Professional Dell S2409W Seasonic Platinum-1000  
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 900D Logitech G700 Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD  Logitech Z5500 THX 5.1 Surround System 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [IGN] SimCity Offline Mode Launches Today