Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [IGN] SimCity Offline Mode Launches Today
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[IGN] SimCity Offline Mode Launches Today - Page 7

post #61 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerVI View Post

I don't think you're wrong. However, I don't think EA is entirely wrong here either. I understand what they're saying. Now whether you agree with it or not is a different story.

To call them liars, I think is inaccurate. It did, in fact, take them 6 1/2 months and 10 updates to get it to work "correctly" in an offline mode. So their original statment, "the game wouldn't work offline" as they intended it to, is not a lie. It's just not the way you and I wanted Sim City to work. You see the difference?

You see what I did there? It's called being "even handed."

it would not work offline because they did not intended it to work offline, you are spot on, they want us to play it online even though it can be played offline if they coded it to work offline, they just want us to buy this cloud computing lie.

i'll repeat, if offline mode is really impossible as they said before because our PC can't handle all that load and cloud computing is necessary, how come it is possible now without the cloud computing? because of haswell, 780ti and 290x?
Edited by ghostrider85 - 3/18/14 at 11:11pm
post #62 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider85 View Post

it would not work offline because they did not intended it to work offline, you are spot on, they want us to play it online even though it can be played offline if they coded it to work offline.

You're exactly right and hence my point. Whether or not you agree with why they did this, it was done. So to call EA a liar, is not accurate.

Their statement that it wouldn't work correctly was accurate, whether or not it was foolish of them to make it that way?? Who can say? Anyone I suppose.

The reason I won't buy it is because they made the scope of the game much smaller it seems than the games in it's past and I would like to have a choice to play online or not, which is now being fixed.
Red Obsidian
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4770K Asus Maximus VI Extreme Galaxy GTX 680 2GB DDR5 Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 4x8 32GB DDR3 CMY3... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SSD  Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB Koolance CPU-370 Koolance PMP-450 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Koolance HX-CU1320V 4x120 Copper Radiator Koolance HX-CU1020V 3x120 Copper Radiator Koolance HX-CU720V 2x120 Copper Radiator Koolance CTR-CD1224 12/24V Pump and Fan Controller 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Corsair AF120 High Performance Fans Windows 7 x64 Professional Dell S2409W Seasonic Platinum-1000  
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 900D Logitech G700 Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD  Logitech Z5500 THX 5.1 Surround System 
  hide details  
Reply
Red Obsidian
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4770K Asus Maximus VI Extreme Galaxy GTX 680 2GB DDR5 Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 4x8 32GB DDR3 CMY3... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SSD  Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB Koolance CPU-370 Koolance PMP-450 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Koolance HX-CU1320V 4x120 Copper Radiator Koolance HX-CU1020V 3x120 Copper Radiator Koolance HX-CU720V 2x120 Copper Radiator Koolance CTR-CD1224 12/24V Pump and Fan Controller 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Corsair AF120 High Performance Fans Windows 7 x64 Professional Dell S2409W Seasonic Platinum-1000  
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 900D Logitech G700 Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD  Logitech Z5500 THX 5.1 Surround System 
  hide details  
Reply
post #63 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerVI View Post

You're exactly right and hence my point. Whether or not you agree with why they did this, it was done. So to call EA a liar, is not accurate.

Their statement that it wouldn't work correctly was accurate, whether or not it was foolish of them to make it that way.

The reason I won't buy it is because they made the scope of the game much smaller it seems than the games in it's past and I would like to have a choice to play online or not, which is now becoming one it seems.

you conveniently ignored the last part of my post.

they are a liar because they said that offline mode is IMPOSSIBLE because cloud computing is necessary, how come it is working now without the cloud? it means that it is not impossible, they just don't want us playing offline
post #64 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider85 View Post

you conveniently ignored the last part of my post.

they are a liar because they said that offline mode is IMPOSSIBLE because cloud computing is necessary, how come it is working now without the cloud? it means that it is not impossible, they just don't want us playing offline

I didn't ignore it. In the context of EA making Sim City into an online mini-mmo; in it's originally designed concept; it would be impossible. The game wouldn't function correctly by their design. So no, I disagree.

But that's the problem isn't it? Isn't that why we're unhappy? It was completely unnecessary to go this direction only, but they did. What they're doing now should've been done at the get go. A choice to play offline or on. Right?

Edit: I will add that using the word "impossible" on EA's part, especially when talking about software, is a very poor choice. It's a poor choice when talking about mostly anything.
Edited by LancerVI - 3/18/14 at 11:28pm
Red Obsidian
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4770K Asus Maximus VI Extreme Galaxy GTX 680 2GB DDR5 Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 4x8 32GB DDR3 CMY3... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SSD  Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB Koolance CPU-370 Koolance PMP-450 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Koolance HX-CU1320V 4x120 Copper Radiator Koolance HX-CU1020V 3x120 Copper Radiator Koolance HX-CU720V 2x120 Copper Radiator Koolance CTR-CD1224 12/24V Pump and Fan Controller 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Corsair AF120 High Performance Fans Windows 7 x64 Professional Dell S2409W Seasonic Platinum-1000  
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 900D Logitech G700 Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD  Logitech Z5500 THX 5.1 Surround System 
  hide details  
Reply
Red Obsidian
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4770K Asus Maximus VI Extreme Galaxy GTX 680 2GB DDR5 Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 4x8 32GB DDR3 CMY3... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SSD  Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB Koolance CPU-370 Koolance PMP-450 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Koolance HX-CU1320V 4x120 Copper Radiator Koolance HX-CU1020V 3x120 Copper Radiator Koolance HX-CU720V 2x120 Copper Radiator Koolance CTR-CD1224 12/24V Pump and Fan Controller 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Corsair AF120 High Performance Fans Windows 7 x64 Professional Dell S2409W Seasonic Platinum-1000  
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 900D Logitech G700 Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD  Logitech Z5500 THX 5.1 Surround System 
  hide details  
Reply
post #65 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerVI View Post

I didn't ignore it. In the context of EA making Sim City into an online mini-mmo; in it's originally designed concept; it would be impossible. The game wouldn't function correctly by their design. So no, I disagree.

But that's the problem isn't it? Isn't that why we're unhappy? It was completely unnecessary to go this direction only, but they did. What they're doing now should've been done at the get go. A choice to play offline or on. Right?

Edit: I will add that using the word "impossible" on EA's part, especially when talking about software, is a very poor choice. It's a poor choice when talking about mostly anything.



they did not said
Quote:
"we don't want offline mode because we want you to have an interaction with other players"

they said
Quote:
"it has to be online because your computers can't handle all the load, you need cloud computing"

you still can't see their lies? why is it running without cloud computing now? i thought consumers' PC can't handle the load and we need help from the cloud?
post #66 of 98
Too late for me, will not buy.
Aqua 2013
(15 items)
 
Lenovo Y410p
(7 items)
 
Thinkpad X120e
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 4700mq Lenovo VIQY0Y1 GT 755M Intel 4600 
RAMHard DriveMonitor
8 gb ddr3 1 tb 5400 rpm SLOW 1600x900 14" 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD E-350 LENOVO 05962RU Radeon HD 6310 4gb DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMouse
320gb Arch Linux 11.6" 1366x768 Razer Oorichi 
  hide details  
Reply
Aqua 2013
(15 items)
 
Lenovo Y410p
(7 items)
 
Thinkpad X120e
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 4700mq Lenovo VIQY0Y1 GT 755M Intel 4600 
RAMHard DriveMonitor
8 gb ddr3 1 tb 5400 rpm SLOW 1600x900 14" 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD E-350 LENOVO 05962RU Radeon HD 6310 4gb DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMouse
320gb Arch Linux 11.6" 1366x768 Razer Oorichi 
  hide details  
Reply
post #67 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider85 View Post

they did not said
they said
you still can't see their lies? why is it running without cloud computing now? i thought consumers' PC can't handle the load and we need help from the cloud?

First of all, you're arguing from a false premise anyway. They never said it was impossible, now that I look. The actual quote is from Lucy [Bradshaw, Maxis general manager] once said that offline wouldn’t be possible 'without a significant amount of engineering work,' which is exactly accurate.

So, again, we'll have to agree to disagree on the lie part.

But the end result is the same, it resulting in a launch of a game that I would normally purchase, that I didn't because A.) It forced me online and B.) it's scope was far too small to be called Sim City.
Red Obsidian
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4770K Asus Maximus VI Extreme Galaxy GTX 680 2GB DDR5 Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 4x8 32GB DDR3 CMY3... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SSD  Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB Koolance CPU-370 Koolance PMP-450 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Koolance HX-CU1320V 4x120 Copper Radiator Koolance HX-CU1020V 3x120 Copper Radiator Koolance HX-CU720V 2x120 Copper Radiator Koolance CTR-CD1224 12/24V Pump and Fan Controller 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Corsair AF120 High Performance Fans Windows 7 x64 Professional Dell S2409W Seasonic Platinum-1000  
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 900D Logitech G700 Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD  Logitech Z5500 THX 5.1 Surround System 
  hide details  
Reply
Red Obsidian
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4770K Asus Maximus VI Extreme Galaxy GTX 680 2GB DDR5 Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 4x8 32GB DDR3 CMY3... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SSD  Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB Koolance CPU-370 Koolance PMP-450 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Koolance HX-CU1320V 4x120 Copper Radiator Koolance HX-CU1020V 3x120 Copper Radiator Koolance HX-CU720V 2x120 Copper Radiator Koolance CTR-CD1224 12/24V Pump and Fan Controller 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Corsair AF120 High Performance Fans Windows 7 x64 Professional Dell S2409W Seasonic Platinum-1000  
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 900D Logitech G700 Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD  Logitech Z5500 THX 5.1 Surround System 
  hide details  
Reply
post #68 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odel View Post

Too late for me, will not buy.

Agreed, over a year too late. I may pick it up in a humble bundle if they ever have another one (yeah right this is EA we're talking about).
post #69 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutuz View Post

Where's that certain member who was so adamant that EAxis wasn't lying about it requiring cloud servers?

EA probably stopped paying him.

And anyone with a brain new the whole cloud is necessary thing was a lie. Yes server hardware is generally better than consumer hardware but it's supposed to serve 1000s of people instead of just one. Cloud computing being a necessity will never happen for a game.
Edited by Sisaroth - 3/19/14 at 12:07am
2013
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2700k GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H Sapphire HD 7870 XT Boost G.SKILL 1866 Sniper 2x4 GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 Basic Crucial MX200 Windows 10 HP IPS 23-inch 1080p 
PowerCaseMouse
Be quiet! BN144 System Power 7 500W NZXT Tempest 210 Zowie FK1 
  hide details  
Reply
2013
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2700k GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H Sapphire HD 7870 XT Boost G.SKILL 1866 Sniper 2x4 GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 Basic Crucial MX200 Windows 10 HP IPS 23-inch 1080p 
PowerCaseMouse
Be quiet! BN144 System Power 7 500W NZXT Tempest 210 Zowie FK1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #70 of 98
I don't know about everyone here, but the offline mode thing is second thing stopping me from buying the game..

The small maps are the real turn offs.. They should have focused on fixing those.



@Lancer and ghostrider.

You are both right and wrong. tongue.gif

Yes, Sim City couldn't work in offline because of all the 'calculations' it needed to do on the cloud servers. BUT, where those really necessary? Seems to me they designed game elements that were computation intensive, even though completely unnecessary for Sim City (most of which the player wouldn't really notice) just so they can use that excuse. Why didn't Sim City 4 need those?
Lala
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-750 @ 3.00GHz Intel DP55WB Sapphire HD 5870 @ 950/1200 1.212V Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333.3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1TB WD Black, 1TB WD Green Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung P2370H Thermaltake ToughPower 750W 
Case
Thermaltake M9 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
Lala
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-750 @ 3.00GHz Intel DP55WB Sapphire HD 5870 @ 950/1200 1.212V Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333.3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1TB WD Black, 1TB WD Green Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung P2370H Thermaltake ToughPower 750W 
Case
Thermaltake M9 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [IGN] SimCity Offline Mode Launches Today