Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › I am about to throw this computer out the window
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I am about to throw this computer out the window - Page 9

post #81 of 90
Yeah, mobo then.
Boinzy 2017
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k 4.2Ghz Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H  EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC GAMING, 06G-P4-6163-KR... G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
TOSHIBA X300 HDWE160XZSTA 6TB 7200 RPM Samsung 850 Evo 250GB Cooler Master 212+ Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer GN246HL 144hz Nixeus Moda Pro Mechanical Keyboard Cherry MX B... Antec Earthwatts 650W Thermaltake Chaser A41 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400 Bose Companion 2 
  hide details  
Reply
Boinzy 2017
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k 4.2Ghz Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H  EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC GAMING, 06G-P4-6163-KR... G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
TOSHIBA X300 HDWE160XZSTA 6TB 7200 RPM Samsung 850 Evo 250GB Cooler Master 212+ Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer GN246HL 144hz Nixeus Moda Pro Mechanical Keyboard Cherry MX B... Antec Earthwatts 650W Thermaltake Chaser A41 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400 Bose Companion 2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #82 of 90
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Storm View Post

Shhhh...maybe they won't notice.

but yeah...got to be the mother board then. I suppose there is a tiny chance it could be some CPU stability issues...you could try using the lower end GPU again and run some CPU and memory tests, but I would be very surprised if anything came up. Those types of issues don't usually cause this kind of behavior.

haha yeah. it's funny cause the 7970 is basically a 7950.. the PCB looks almost identical. It's a freaking weird problem, but I guess it is the MOBO.
Go Skate
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel i5 7600k Asus TUF Z270 Mark 2 NVIDIA GTX 1060 16 GB 2400 DDR4  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 2.5-inch SSD 840 Seagate 2 TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache 4 500GB HDDs in RAID 10  DeepCool PWM Fan GAMMAXX 300 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro HP LA2405wg Corsair K90 Mechanical Red Switch 910 watt PC Power and Cooling 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Coolermaster Elite Razer Naga Steel Series SC2 Edition Senheisser 
AudioAudio
Razer Kraken Steelseries Siberia v3 
  hide details  
Reply
Go Skate
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel i5 7600k Asus TUF Z270 Mark 2 NVIDIA GTX 1060 16 GB 2400 DDR4  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 2.5-inch SSD 840 Seagate 2 TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache 4 500GB HDDs in RAID 10  DeepCool PWM Fan GAMMAXX 300 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro HP LA2405wg Corsair K90 Mechanical Red Switch 910 watt PC Power and Cooling 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Coolermaster Elite Razer Naga Steel Series SC2 Edition Senheisser 
AudioAudio
Razer Kraken Steelseries Siberia v3 
  hide details  
Reply
post #83 of 90
check caps on pci area. i had the same problem with customer computer once. couldnt figure it out, would run fine with low power GPU but big power gpu would artifact.

this is a board issue. traced it back to blown caps around pcie slot
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-7700K ASUS ROG STRIX Z270I w/TPM EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Black Edition CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 ... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
SAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2 512GB NVMe  SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 1TB NVMe ASUS External 12X Blu-Ray Writer Corsair H100i GTX 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Professional Samsung - S34E790C - 34" 21:9 Curved Screen CODE 87 - Cherry MX Green CORSAIR SF600 - 600W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Caselabs - Bullet BH2 RAZER DeathAdder Chroma Glorious PC Gaming Race 3XL Mouse Mat - 48X24" Steelseries - Arctis 7 
AudioOther
Bose Companion 2 Series III  CyberPower UPS - PR1500LCDRTXL2U - 1500w 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-7700K ASUS ROG STRIX Z270I w/TPM EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Black Edition CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 ... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
SAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2 512GB NVMe  SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 1TB NVMe ASUS External 12X Blu-Ray Writer Corsair H100i GTX 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Professional Samsung - S34E790C - 34" 21:9 Curved Screen CODE 87 - Cherry MX Green CORSAIR SF600 - 600W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Caselabs - Bullet BH2 RAZER DeathAdder Chroma Glorious PC Gaming Race 3XL Mouse Mat - 48X24" Steelseries - Arctis 7 
AudioOther
Bose Companion 2 Series III  CyberPower UPS - PR1500LCDRTXL2U - 1500w 
  hide details  
Reply
post #84 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by NKrader View Post

check caps on pci area. i had the same problem with customer computer once. couldnt figure it out, would run fine with low power GPU but big power gpu would artifact.

this is a board issue. traced it back to blown caps around pcie slot

It is possible that replacing these caps will fix it. To be honest' I've never tried it on a mother board, but I've done it to plenty of TVs.

The caps will probably cost only a few dollars too...I don't think I've ever paid more than $4 for one.
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
2600K @ 4.7GHz Asus P8P67 B3 GTX 580 EVGA Hydro Copper 2 GTX 580 EVGA  
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws bunch of 'em Blu-Ray For movies Windows 8.1 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
24.4" Hans G HH251 X2 Yamakasi DS270  Blah 1000watt Super Flower 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Built into Desk Microsoft SideWinder X8 Comfy one... Creative Extreme Gamer 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
2600K @ 4.7GHz Asus P8P67 B3 GTX 580 EVGA Hydro Copper 2 GTX 580 EVGA  
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws bunch of 'em Blu-Ray For movies Windows 8.1 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
24.4" Hans G HH251 X2 Yamakasi DS270  Blah 1000watt Super Flower 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Built into Desk Microsoft SideWinder X8 Comfy one... Creative Extreme Gamer 
  hide details  
Reply
post #85 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Storm View Post

It is possible that replacing these caps will fix it. To be honest' I've never tried it on a mother board, but I've done it to plenty of TVs.

it was a s775 matx board, i purchased a new board for 20$ and fixed the problem lol.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-7700K ASUS ROG STRIX Z270I w/TPM EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Black Edition CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 ... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
SAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2 512GB NVMe  SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 1TB NVMe ASUS External 12X Blu-Ray Writer Corsair H100i GTX 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Professional Samsung - S34E790C - 34" 21:9 Curved Screen CODE 87 - Cherry MX Green CORSAIR SF600 - 600W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Caselabs - Bullet BH2 RAZER DeathAdder Chroma Glorious PC Gaming Race 3XL Mouse Mat - 48X24" Steelseries - Arctis 7 
AudioOther
Bose Companion 2 Series III  CyberPower UPS - PR1500LCDRTXL2U - 1500w 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-7700K ASUS ROG STRIX Z270I w/TPM EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Black Edition CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 ... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
SAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2 512GB NVMe  SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 1TB NVMe ASUS External 12X Blu-Ray Writer Corsair H100i GTX 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Professional Samsung - S34E790C - 34" 21:9 Curved Screen CODE 87 - Cherry MX Green CORSAIR SF600 - 600W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Caselabs - Bullet BH2 RAZER DeathAdder Chroma Glorious PC Gaming Race 3XL Mouse Mat - 48X24" Steelseries - Arctis 7 
AudioOther
Bose Companion 2 Series III  CyberPower UPS - PR1500LCDRTXL2U - 1500w 
  hide details  
Reply
post #86 of 90

Considering that OP said it is artifacting on the BIOS screen, using only his higher powered cards which DO require PCI power connectors, means that it is inevitably his PSU. And his GT 610, which runs off the PCIe lane power only, is working perfectly fine (unless I missed a post saying otherwise).

 

Which means his GPUs are either being severely under-powered, or are receiving what is essentially dirty power through the PCIe power connectors.

 

I'd wager money that it is 99.9% chance of his PSU being the culprit, and a 0.1% chance of his motherboard.

post #87 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinaesthetic View Post

Considering that OP said it is artifacting on the BIOS screen, using only his higher powered cards which DO require PCI power connectors, means that it is inevitably his PSU. And his GT 610, which runs off the PCIe lane power only, is working perfectly fine (unless I missed a post saying otherwise).

Which means his GPUs are either being severely under-powered, or are receiving what is essentially dirty power through the PCIe power connectors.

I'd wager money that it is 99.9% chance of his PSU being the culprit, and a 0.1% chance of his motherboard.

That's what we all thought until a different PSU with a different GPU did the same thing on the same motherboard.

Unless the testing PSU was also faulty...it has to be the lane power on the pci-e slot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NKrader View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Storm View Post

It is possible that replacing these caps will fix it. To be honest' I've never tried it on a mother board, but I've done it to plenty of TVs.

it was a s775 matx board, i purchased a new board for 20$ and fixed the problem lol.

I've been lucky in that respect too...every pre-built PC I've fixed either used a regular mATX mother board or was so old that the person just decided to build a new machine.

Though if it used a non-ATX form factor and was newer I would give it a shot. A replacement "Dell" mother board is never cheap...unless it is under warranty.
Edited by Vagrant Storm - 3/19/14 at 11:33am
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
2600K @ 4.7GHz Asus P8P67 B3 GTX 580 EVGA Hydro Copper 2 GTX 580 EVGA  
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws bunch of 'em Blu-Ray For movies Windows 8.1 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
24.4" Hans G HH251 X2 Yamakasi DS270  Blah 1000watt Super Flower 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Built into Desk Microsoft SideWinder X8 Comfy one... Creative Extreme Gamer 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
2600K @ 4.7GHz Asus P8P67 B3 GTX 580 EVGA Hydro Copper 2 GTX 580 EVGA  
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws bunch of 'em Blu-Ray For movies Windows 8.1 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
24.4" Hans G HH251 X2 Yamakasi DS270  Blah 1000watt Super Flower 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Built into Desk Microsoft SideWinder X8 Comfy one... Creative Extreme Gamer 
  hide details  
Reply
post #88 of 90
Thread Starter 
Yeah. I just closed it and told the guy it's the motherboard. I had never ran into something like this before. It was certainly a learning experience! Thanks for the quick replies.
Go Skate
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel i5 7600k Asus TUF Z270 Mark 2 NVIDIA GTX 1060 16 GB 2400 DDR4  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 2.5-inch SSD 840 Seagate 2 TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache 4 500GB HDDs in RAID 10  DeepCool PWM Fan GAMMAXX 300 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro HP LA2405wg Corsair K90 Mechanical Red Switch 910 watt PC Power and Cooling 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Coolermaster Elite Razer Naga Steel Series SC2 Edition Senheisser 
AudioAudio
Razer Kraken Steelseries Siberia v3 
  hide details  
Reply
Go Skate
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel i5 7600k Asus TUF Z270 Mark 2 NVIDIA GTX 1060 16 GB 2400 DDR4  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 2.5-inch SSD 840 Seagate 2 TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache 4 500GB HDDs in RAID 10  DeepCool PWM Fan GAMMAXX 300 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro HP LA2405wg Corsair K90 Mechanical Red Switch 910 watt PC Power and Cooling 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Coolermaster Elite Razer Naga Steel Series SC2 Edition Senheisser 
AudioAudio
Razer Kraken Steelseries Siberia v3 
  hide details  
Reply
post #89 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinaesthetic View Post

Considering that OP said it is artifacting on the BIOS screen, using only his higher powered cards which DO require PCI power connectors, means that it is inevitably his PSU. And his GT 610, which runs off the PCIe lane power only, is working perfectly fine (unless I missed a post saying otherwise).

Which means his GPUs are either being severely under-powered, or are receiving what is essentially dirty power through the PCIe power connectors.

I'd wager money that it is 99.9% chance of his PSU being the culprit, and a 0.1% chance of his motherboard.

ive had this happen and tested by trading out psu in the machine with my currently used seasonic 1000w platium that is working fine with my current setup. but somehow the problems were exactly the same as OP.

its the mobo.

you realize that gpu get power from the mobo too right? even if they have PCIe power connectors?
Edited by NKrader - 3/20/14 at 2:25pm
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-7700K ASUS ROG STRIX Z270I w/TPM EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Black Edition CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 ... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
SAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2 512GB NVMe  SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 1TB NVMe ASUS External 12X Blu-Ray Writer Corsair H100i GTX 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Professional Samsung - S34E790C - 34" 21:9 Curved Screen CODE 87 - Cherry MX Green CORSAIR SF600 - 600W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Caselabs - Bullet BH2 RAZER DeathAdder Chroma Glorious PC Gaming Race 3XL Mouse Mat - 48X24" Steelseries - Arctis 7 
AudioOther
Bose Companion 2 Series III  CyberPower UPS - PR1500LCDRTXL2U - 1500w 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-7700K ASUS ROG STRIX Z270I w/TPM EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Black Edition CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 ... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
SAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2 512GB NVMe  SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 1TB NVMe ASUS External 12X Blu-Ray Writer Corsair H100i GTX 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Professional Samsung - S34E790C - 34" 21:9 Curved Screen CODE 87 - Cherry MX Green CORSAIR SF600 - 600W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Caselabs - Bullet BH2 RAZER DeathAdder Chroma Glorious PC Gaming Race 3XL Mouse Mat - 48X24" Steelseries - Arctis 7 
AudioOther
Bose Companion 2 Series III  CyberPower UPS - PR1500LCDRTXL2U - 1500w 
  hide details  
Reply
post #90 of 90
Id look for a bios update i know with a few of my boards they added a bug fix for newer ATI cards not sure if that would be the issue but it would be worth a try smile.gif

is the psu made by Delta? i know alot of Dell systems use Delta units
Edited by ozlay - 3/21/14 at 10:36am
Red Queen
(8 items)
 
Silvia
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I5-7600k Asrock Z270M Extreme 4 GTX 1060 Galax HOF 
Hard DriveOSCase
Crucial MX100 windows 10 pro enthoo evolv matx tempered glass 
  hide details  
Reply
Red Queen
(8 items)
 
Silvia
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I5-7600k Asrock Z270M Extreme 4 GTX 1060 Galax HOF 
Hard DriveOSCase
Crucial MX100 windows 10 pro enthoo evolv matx tempered glass 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › I am about to throw this computer out the window