Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Windows › Windows 7 Login Screen Picture Border Removal
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Windows 7 Login Screen Picture Border Removal

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
I'm trying to customize a Windows 7 Embedded Standard image by stripping out unnecessary components. One rather obnoxious component I removed is the user picture control and the pictures themselves. To my surprise, the taskbar is perfectly fine with this and does not display an icon at all or the border... but the login screen is another story:


I am very well aware you can use Reshacker to modify authui.dll to tweak with the presentation of this, but that would take a prohibitively long amount of time and attempts. In addition, integration of a modified authui.dll would require me to fire up imagex and replace the dll every time I packaged up the image (or write a batch to do so). Not to mention, who knows what Windows might think of it and complain about the modified file...

My question is, is there some sort of undocumented registry key or tweak I can do in order to remove this border? You can change some things via the registry, such as the CAD on logon, OEM background, and button style... but nothing on the border.

Thanks!
post #2 of 6
Nope, it's just the images within the DLL, my advice is just put up with it as messing with it can cause plenty of frustrating issues.
post #3 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearybear View Post

Nope, it's just the images within the DLL, my advice is just put up with it as messing with it can cause plenty of frustrating issues.

Only other thing I can come up with is to create my own cab package to use with the distribution share that replaces the original authui.dll. They appear to be signed in some fashion though, so third party packages may be out of the question.

I'll keep researching this but you are probably right.
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avexrion View Post

I am very well aware you can use Reshacker to modify authui.dll to tweak with the presentation of this, but that would take a prohibitively long amount of time and attempts. In addition, integration of a modified authui.dll would require me to fire up imagex and replace the dll every time I packaged up the image (or write a batch to do so). Not to mention, who knows what Windows might think of it and complain about the modified file...

    Windows won't mind the changes at all as long as AuthUI.dll doesn't get corrupted in the process of resource editing.  People who customize their logon screens do this all the time.  However, if you run a manual System File Checker scan, it will detect the tampered AuthUI.dll and replace it with the stock version.  As long as the logon/lock screen isn't being displayed anywhere and Explorer isn't running, AuthUI.dll can be easily replaced live.
My desktop PC
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-3770K Gigabyte P67A-D3-B3 NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS  1x Corsair 8 GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Kingston SV300S3 WesternDigital WD10EZEX Samsung HD154UI Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Daewoo L947BK Gateway FPD1530 HTK-2001 Dynex DX-400WPS 
MouseAudio
Kensington K72400 Realtek ALC889 
  hide details  
Reply
My desktop PC
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-3770K Gigabyte P67A-D3-B3 NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS  1x Corsair 8 GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Kingston SV300S3 WesternDigital WD10EZEX Samsung HD154UI Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Daewoo L947BK Gateway FPD1530 HTK-2001 Dynex DX-400WPS 
MouseAudio
Kensington K72400 Realtek ALC889 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techie007 View Post

    Windows won't mind the changes at all as long as AuthUI.dll doesn't get corrupted in the process of resource editing.  People who customize their logon screens do this all the time.  However, if you run a manual System File Checker scan, it will detect the tampered AuthUI.dll and replace it with the stock version.  As long as the logon/lock screen isn't being displayed anywhere and Explorer isn't running, AuthUI.dll can be easily replaced live.

Are there any easier to use or more visual tools that I could use to edit it? Looking at the XML is fine and all, but can be slow and cumbersome with all of the nested elements. Would be nice to see the different possible states of the login screen in one pane, click an element, and it would be highlighted in the code.
post #6 of 6
I recall using a logon screen editing tool once that had a preview and easy to use interface, removing the picture border was literally a check box, I'll try to find a link.

Also, resource hacker or similar tools is the easiest immediate way of editing it, literally just browse to the correct image and swap it out for an image of a translucent pixel.
Edited by Bearybear - 3/20/14 at 5:30pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Windows
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Windows › Windows 7 Login Screen Picture Border Removal