Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › New 4770k build, need mobo recommendations
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New 4770k build, need mobo recommendations

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
Hey,

I have recently purchased a Gigabyte windforce 3 290x OC , 4770k, and a 240gb SSD. All i have left to buy is a mobo and ram. I will probably go minimum 16b ram and I have a seasonic m2 650w PSU already. This will primarily be a gaming pc. I only game on 1 monitor. So I do not forsee my self needing to upgrade for a long while. With that in mind, what mobo would you go with for my components. I had a extreme 3 gen 3 asrock for my 2500k and i see they have a 1150 socket as well for gen 4's.
post #2 of 17
Have you checked Sabertooth line from Asus?
post #3 of 17
1) Asus Maximus IV Hero
2) MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming
3) GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD4H

they all good, just choose the one that's the cheapest.
AWESOME SYSTEM
(16 items)
 
  
MotherboardGraphicsGraphicsRAM
ASRock Z170 OC Formula Waiting For GTX 1080Ti Waiting For GTX 1080Ti 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z DDR4 4000Mhz 17-17-17-37... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Samsung 840 Pro 128GB Corsair H105 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit 
MonitorPowerCase
AOC U2879VF 28" FreeSync 4K LED Monitor  Lepa 1600W G-Series  Corsair Carbide Air 540 Case 
  hide details  
Reply
AWESOME SYSTEM
(16 items)
 
  
MotherboardGraphicsGraphicsRAM
ASRock Z170 OC Formula Waiting For GTX 1080Ti Waiting For GTX 1080Ti 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z DDR4 4000Mhz 17-17-17-37... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Samsung 840 Pro 128GB Corsair H105 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit 
MonitorPowerCase
AOC U2879VF 28" FreeSync 4K LED Monitor  Lepa 1600W G-Series  Corsair Carbide Air 540 Case 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 17
Thread Starter 
I was looking at a MSI gaming line one before i posted this. The built in sound blaster and killer nic is interesting. What are your thoughts on the G45? I dont think ineed everything with the GD65, I dont think I will ever need to upgrade again until the next gen comes out, at which point ill probably just be building a new computer again. It was my understanding from benchmarks when I purchased this specific 290X it was the fastest performing single GPU out there, and the only thing benching faster was a 7990 which to my knowledge is a dual gpu, so I dont think I will ever need to crossfire before next gen? If so a dual pciex 16 would be nice. but i dont think I will ever run a trifire rig.
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpiDx View Post

I was looking at a MSI gaming line one before i posted this. The built in sound blaster and killer nic is interesting. What are your thoughts on the G45? I dont think ineed everything with the GD65, I dont think I will ever need to upgrade again until the next gen comes out, at which point ill probably just be building a new computer again. It was my understanding from benchmarks when I purchased this specific 290X it was the fastest performing single GPU out there, and the only thing benching faster was a 7990 which to my knowledge is a dual gpu, so I dont think I will ever need to crossfire before next gen? If so a dual pciex 16 would be nice. but i dont think I will ever run a trifire rig.

I had the MSI Z77A GD43-Gaming for my 2700k cpu, and everything work out smoothly without any problems. but it wasn't that great for overclocking. but I hear their Z87 model has improved that situation. but if you going to overclock your 4770k, I suggest you get the ASUS Maximus IV Hero. cause Asus makes the best board out there, and I hear the Hero is great for overlocking the Haswell CPU's.
AWESOME SYSTEM
(16 items)
 
  
MotherboardGraphicsGraphicsRAM
ASRock Z170 OC Formula Waiting For GTX 1080Ti Waiting For GTX 1080Ti 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z DDR4 4000Mhz 17-17-17-37... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Samsung 840 Pro 128GB Corsair H105 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit 
MonitorPowerCase
AOC U2879VF 28" FreeSync 4K LED Monitor  Lepa 1600W G-Series  Corsair Carbide Air 540 Case 
  hide details  
Reply
AWESOME SYSTEM
(16 items)
 
  
MotherboardGraphicsGraphicsRAM
ASRock Z170 OC Formula Waiting For GTX 1080Ti Waiting For GTX 1080Ti 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z DDR4 4000Mhz 17-17-17-37... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Samsung 840 Pro 128GB Corsair H105 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit 
MonitorPowerCase
AOC U2879VF 28" FreeSync 4K LED Monitor  Lepa 1600W G-Series  Corsair Carbide Air 540 Case 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 17
Thread Starter 
I was looking at hardocp reviews and they gave the ASRock Z87 KILLER FATAL1TY a gold, this has the killer nic as well, and is currently on sale for $109. They mention in the review if you were thinking to go with ASUS Maximus IV Hero, to get this one instead. What do you think?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157460&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10440897&PID=3891137&SID=rewrite

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/01/29/asrock_z87_killer_fatal1ty_motherboard_review/7
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpiDx View Post

I was looking at hardocp reviews and they gave the ASRock Z87 KILLER FATAL1TY a gold, this has the killer nic as well, and is currently on sale for $109. They mention in the review if you were thinking to go with ASUS Maximus IV Hero, to get this one instead. What do you think?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157460&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10440897&PID=3891137&SID=rewrite

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/01/29/asrock_z87_killer_fatal1ty_motherboard_review/7

yeah AsRock makes good Mobo, go with that. it seems it has all the features of the MSI G45-Gaming board, but way cheaper. I suggest you buy the Mobo from amazon, cause if you don't like or something goes wrong. you could return it or exchange for another one without any charge within 30 days. you could even make amazon send a UPS driver to come to your house and pick up the mobo, how awesome is that
Edited by AWESOME_3_SOME - 3/19/14 at 10:43am
AWESOME SYSTEM
(16 items)
 
  
MotherboardGraphicsGraphicsRAM
ASRock Z170 OC Formula Waiting For GTX 1080Ti Waiting For GTX 1080Ti 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z DDR4 4000Mhz 17-17-17-37... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Samsung 840 Pro 128GB Corsair H105 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit 
MonitorPowerCase
AOC U2879VF 28" FreeSync 4K LED Monitor  Lepa 1600W G-Series  Corsair Carbide Air 540 Case 
  hide details  
Reply
AWESOME SYSTEM
(16 items)
 
  
MotherboardGraphicsGraphicsRAM
ASRock Z170 OC Formula Waiting For GTX 1080Ti Waiting For GTX 1080Ti 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z DDR4 4000Mhz 17-17-17-37... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Samsung 840 Pro 128GB Corsair H105 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit 
MonitorPowerCase
AOC U2879VF 28" FreeSync 4K LED Monitor  Lepa 1600W G-Series  Corsair Carbide Air 540 Case 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWESOME_3_SOME View Post

yeah AsRock makes good Mobo, go with that. it seems it has all the features of the MSI G45-Gaming board, but way cheaper. I suggest you buy the Mobo from amazon, cause if you don't like or something goes wrong. you could return it or exchange for another one without any charge within 30 days. you could even make amazon send a UPS driver to come to your house and pick up the mobo, how awesome is that

Ok, so I am going to go with that. It says it supports 3050(OC) memory, I don't even see any memory at those speeds for sale on newegg?
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpiDx View Post

Ok, so I am going to go with that. It says it supports 3050(OC) memory, I don't even see any memory at those speeds for sale on newegg?

yeah I know, so the mobo is kinda future proof for memory speed. let me know how everything goes with the mobo, oh yeah I forgot to ask. are you going to overclock ur 4770k.
AWESOME SYSTEM
(16 items)
 
  
MotherboardGraphicsGraphicsRAM
ASRock Z170 OC Formula Waiting For GTX 1080Ti Waiting For GTX 1080Ti 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z DDR4 4000Mhz 17-17-17-37... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Samsung 840 Pro 128GB Corsair H105 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit 
MonitorPowerCase
AOC U2879VF 28" FreeSync 4K LED Monitor  Lepa 1600W G-Series  Corsair Carbide Air 540 Case 
  hide details  
Reply
AWESOME SYSTEM
(16 items)
 
  
MotherboardGraphicsGraphicsRAM
ASRock Z170 OC Formula Waiting For GTX 1080Ti Waiting For GTX 1080Ti 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z DDR4 4000Mhz 17-17-17-37... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Samsung 840 Pro 128GB Corsair H105 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit 
MonitorPowerCase
AOC U2879VF 28" FreeSync 4K LED Monitor  Lepa 1600W G-Series  Corsair Carbide Air 540 Case 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 17
Thread Starter 
More than likely, hardocp said they got it to 4.3 on 1.28 with the included software stable for 2.5 days so I will probably just do that. With ram in mind, I already have 2x4 1600 ripsaws, should i just get another pair of 2x4 to get 16gb and save some money, or should i get 2x8 with a faster speed. Ram is probably the weakest for me in terms of knowledge like cas latency's etc
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › New 4770k build, need mobo recommendations