Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › Kingston ssd 120gb retired block count 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Kingston ssd 120gb retired block count 2

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Hi I just bought a KINGSTON SV300S37A120G50026B72410EBD7F and after 2 weeks the os started crashing and sometimes the drive is not detected on bootup so I ran hd tune pro and got

attention retired block count 2
warning reallocated event count 2

banchmarks got slower also and sometimes os does not boot. Do you think I should re install the os or return the drive back ? thanks alot for your help
Edited by chrismallia - 3/19/14 at 10:04am
post #2 of 10
is firmware up to date?
The Grey Box
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3770k delid 4.6 at 1.25 Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Gigabyte 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Intel 730 WD20002FAEX Raid1 Samsung 850 Pro Heatkiller 3.0 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
DDC-1 & Swiftech Micro Res x3 HW Labs GTX 360 Radiator (Pelts Hot Side) Aquacomputer Aquaero 6 XT Coolit FreeZone (pelts & pelt water block only) 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Custom Copper Heat Exchanger For Pelts HW Labs 120 Radiator (VGA) Win7 64/Linux SuSe Samsung 22" 1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse II EVGA supernova 750 G2 Coolermaster Cosmos V1 Logitech mx518 
Mouse Pad
Allsop 
  hide details  
Reply
The Grey Box
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3770k delid 4.6 at 1.25 Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Gigabyte 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Intel 730 WD20002FAEX Raid1 Samsung 850 Pro Heatkiller 3.0 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
DDC-1 & Swiftech Micro Res x3 HW Labs GTX 360 Radiator (Pelts Hot Side) Aquacomputer Aquaero 6 XT Coolit FreeZone (pelts & pelt water block only) 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Custom Copper Heat Exchanger For Pelts HW Labs 120 Radiator (VGA) Win7 64/Linux SuSe Samsung 22" 1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse II EVGA supernova 750 G2 Coolermaster Cosmos V1 Logitech mx518 
Mouse Pad
Allsop 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForNever View Post

is firmware up to date?
I do not really know I just bought it and installed it, I never updated drive firmwares
post #4 of 10
I just went through a similar problem with my OCZ Vertex3. SMART readings showed no issues with drive but benchmarks were terrible, windows OS would freeze all the time, upon every single boot I would have chkdisk always needing to be run and found errors that were repaired, the drive would at time not be detected or could not boot from it, windows event errors stating uncorrectable read errors, etc. I used their utility to wipe the drive and flash latest firmware, reinstalled windows and same issues. SMART would always show the drive as passing though. I eventually was able to send it in, still waiting on results though.
 
Quadcore P182
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 ASUS P5E64 WS Evolution X48 Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital 300GB VelociRaptor Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (2) Acer 22" LCD's 
PowerCase
PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W Antec P182 Gunmetal 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Quadcore P182
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 ASUS P5E64 WS Evolution X48 Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital 300GB VelociRaptor Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (2) Acer 22" LCD's 
PowerCase
PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W Antec P182 Gunmetal 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismallia View Post

Hi I just bought a KINGSTON SV300S37A120G50026B72410EBD7F and after 2 weeks the os started crashing and sometimes the drive is not detected on bootup so I ran hd tune pro and got

attention retired block count 2
warning reallocated event count 2

banchmarks got slower also and sometimes os does not boot. Do you think I should re install the os or return the drive back ? thanks alot for your help

Retired blocks and reallocation = some of the NAND chips have defects (kind of like a LCD panel with dead pixels). Usually retired blocks and reallocated sectors start to appear only after the user has written TERABYTES worth of data to the drive (many, many write/erase cycles and user wear on the flash).

Your SSD drive is symptomatic right out of the box (crashes and problems with bootup), so return it.
Edited by elreyhorus - 3/19/14 at 11:12am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570K @4.4 GHz ASRock Z77 Extreme4-m ASUS GTX 670 DirectCUII TOP Patriot VIPER III 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial m500 240 GB Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB ASUS DVD-burner Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Dell Ultrasharp U2412m Rosewill RK-9000 Cherry MX Blue SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Rosewill R101-P-BK Logitech G100s HRT Music Streamer II -> Audinst AMP-HP -> Westone 4 
Audio
Etymotic Research ER-4P 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570K @4.4 GHz ASRock Z77 Extreme4-m ASUS GTX 670 DirectCUII TOP Patriot VIPER III 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial m500 240 GB Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB ASUS DVD-burner Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Dell Ultrasharp U2412m Rosewill RK-9000 Cherry MX Blue SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Rosewill R101-P-BK Logitech G100s HRT Music Streamer II -> Audinst AMP-HP -> Westone 4 
Audio
Etymotic Research ER-4P 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by elreyhorus View Post

Retired blocks and reallocation = some of the NAND chips have defects (kind of like a LCD panel with dead pixels). Usually retired blocks and reallocated sectors start to appear only after the user has written TERABYTES worth of data to the drive (many, many write/erase cycles and user wear on the flash).

Your SSD drive is symptomatic right out of the box (crashes and problems with bootup), so return it.

Thank you for your help I re installed the os and it does not seam to crash anymore (till now) but I will still return it coz 2 retired blocks as you say not normal on a new drive, All i had was the os and a few programs installed I still had 89gb free and didnt write any data to it
post #7 of 10
If you have the option for a cash refund or choice of a different drive (aka store credit), you may want to go with a different drive...totally ur call ofc.
post #8 of 10
Thread Starter 
Hey guys check this out I called kingston and told them the problem here is what happen. They first where pointing at my board bios I told him it was updated my board Asus p8h61-m le , then the sata cable which I changed , so after that he asked me to send him crystal disk report which I did and guess what, he told me he cant find problems in the report everything is fine he told me could you point me in what is wrong? i replied look at ReallocationEventCount raw value is 2, you think that is normal? , so he replied sorry did not notes that. wow great technical dude lol. So anyway he suggested I re install the OS to stop the crashing I told him I did that already, So you know what where his conclusions he told me do not warry about the 2 counts there are 8gb spare in the drive you still have lots spare . I replied that is not the point a new drive should not already be using spare blocks he replied you did the drives firmware update I replied yes he replied ok so now you have everything updated so see how the drive goes in the future if you have problems contact me again
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismallia View Post

Hey guys check this out I called kingston and told them the problem here is what happen. They first where pointing at my board bios I told him it was updated my board Asus p8h61-m le , then the sata cable which I changed , so after that he asked me to send him crystal disk report which I did and guess what, he told me he cant find problems in the report everything is fine he told me could you point me in what is wrong? i replied look at ReallocationEventCount raw value is 2, you think that is normal? , so he replied sorry did not notes that. wow great technical dude lol. So anyway he suggested I re install the OS to stop the crashing I told him I did that already, So you know what where his conclusions he told me do not warry about the 2 counts there are 8gb spare in the drive you still have lots spare . I replied that is not the point a new drive should not already be using spare blocks he replied you did the drives firmware update I replied yes he replied ok so now you have everything updated so see how the drive goes in the future if you have problems contact me again

Crashing, problems with drive detection and OS booting is not normal, especially since you have already tried re-installing the OS.

All the more reason to avoid buying any Kingston products in the future. Boycott Kingston.

Especially after this:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1457629/psa-about-the-kingston-v300-ssd-probable-foul-play-by-kingston/80#post_21968865
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570K @4.4 GHz ASRock Z77 Extreme4-m ASUS GTX 670 DirectCUII TOP Patriot VIPER III 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial m500 240 GB Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB ASUS DVD-burner Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Dell Ultrasharp U2412m Rosewill RK-9000 Cherry MX Blue SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Rosewill R101-P-BK Logitech G100s HRT Music Streamer II -> Audinst AMP-HP -> Westone 4 
Audio
Etymotic Research ER-4P 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570K @4.4 GHz ASRock Z77 Extreme4-m ASUS GTX 670 DirectCUII TOP Patriot VIPER III 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial m500 240 GB Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB ASUS DVD-burner Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Dell Ultrasharp U2412m Rosewill RK-9000 Cherry MX Blue SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Rosewill R101-P-BK Logitech G100s HRT Music Streamer II -> Audinst AMP-HP -> Westone 4 
Audio
Etymotic Research ER-4P 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by elreyhorus View Post

Crashing, problems with drive detection and OS booting is not normal, especially since you have already tried re-installing the OS.

All the more reason to avoid buying any Kingston products in the future. Boycott Kingston.

Especially after this:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1457629/psa-about-the-kingston-v300-ssd-probable-foul-play-by-kingston/80#post_21968865
Quote:
Originally Posted by elreyhorus View Post

Crashing, problems with drive detection and OS booting is not normal, especially since you have already tried re-installing the OS.

All the more reason to avoid buying any Kingston products in the future. Boycott Kingston.

Especially after this:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1457629/psa-about-the-kingston-v300-ssd-probable-foul-play-by-kingston/80#post_21968865

Hi thanks for your help I took the Kingston back to the shop and he told me that others also have got the Kingston back and complained. next week he will be getting the Samsung evo and I will be replacing Kingston with the Samsung evo
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: SSD
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › Kingston ssd 120gb retired block count 2