Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › MSi GTX 770 gpu usage dropping to 0% and screen freezing. HELP PLEASE!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MSi GTX 770 gpu usage dropping to 0% and screen freezing. HELP PLEASE!

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
So I've recently purchased the card and have been having the issues since day 1 in mmo's. So far I've tried Rift, ArcheAge, and ESO beta and it has happened in every one. To test other games I've played bf4 and dead space 3, dead space 3 I got zero throttling and bf4 ran acceptable with 85-90% usage which is ok. Card is 100% in afterburner and Uniginen Valley and I don't have the issue in those programs.

I've tried reinstalling drivers multiple times and I always run CCleaner and clean registry everytime. I've tried manually unparking cpu cores through registry. I've monitored my cpu, disk, and network usage and none of them should be causing the throttling. I've wiped all previous drivers and ran CCleaner to fully get rid of them. I've made sure ALL drivers are up to date. I've tried going into Nvidia control panel and forcing vsync off and setting power management to prefer maximum performance. I've even flashed a modded BIOS to get rid of stupid gpu boost 2.0.

I didn't have any of these issues with my MSi 7950 or even with my ******* HD4000 igpu. Please Please Please help!

Edit*
System specs:
3570k @4.4Ghz
MSi z77a g45
8gb Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz
MSi gtx 770 gaming 2gb/OC
Corsair cx750m 80 PLUS Bronze psu

Max temp for cpu is 70c and max temp for gpu is 70c
Edited by BlackOutCrisis - 3/19/14 at 12:58pm
post #2 of 13
Assuming all your drivers and windows updates are current, have you tried updating the BIOS?
Jarvis
(26 items)
 
Pepto Pony
(12 items)
 
MrDVR
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 @ 4.8Ghz CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4g 16Gb G. Skill Ripjaws 4x4 @ 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 PRO 128Gb SSD Intel 160 Gb SSD Intel 250 Gb SSD Generic DVD-RW 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
2 x Noctua (NF-P12-1300 )1300rpm Premium Silent... Alphacool NexXxos UT60 Full Copper Radiator 240 Noctua NF-A6X25 FLX Quiet Computer Cooling Fan ... NZXT Sentry Mesh Fan Controller w/ Five 30 watt... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
2 x Corsair Air Series SP120   COUGAR CF-V12H Vortex Hydro-Dynamic-Bearing  Monsoon 90° Rotary Angle Fitting - 5/8" - Red Bitspower Dual / Single D5 Top Upgrade Kit 100 ... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
ModMyToys DreamFlex Premium 3/8" ID Tubing Reta... Coolance Liquid Coolant Bottle, 700mL Fluoresce... Coolance PMP 450 Variable Speed D5 Pump Bitspower D5 Mod Top V2 Pom version 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Samsung KS8000 4k UHD 65" Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5000 Keyboard and Mouse SeaSonic M12II 750 
CaseAudio
My TV Stand Cabinet Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-4300 Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 EVGA Geforce GTX 260 G.Skill Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair SSD Samsung 7200 Laptop drive Some DVD Burner I took out of a dead Dell. Noctua NH-C12P SE14 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 19" 16:9 Logitec wireless Enermax 650w Apevia X-Cruiser3 Pink 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A6-6400K Dual Core MSI A78M-E35 Onboard 4Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600Mhz (2 x 2) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Intel 320 SSD Western Digital 2.5" 1Tb 7200rpm  LG External Blue-ray Combo Drive Noctual NH-L9a 92mm SS02 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Toshiba Regza 52" 1080p Logitech K400 Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D 
CaseAudioOther
A piece of plywood and some zip ties. Onboard Hauppauge WinTV HVR-2250 dual tuner card. 
  hide details  
Reply
Jarvis
(26 items)
 
Pepto Pony
(12 items)
 
MrDVR
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 @ 4.8Ghz CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4g 16Gb G. Skill Ripjaws 4x4 @ 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 PRO 128Gb SSD Intel 160 Gb SSD Intel 250 Gb SSD Generic DVD-RW 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
2 x Noctua (NF-P12-1300 )1300rpm Premium Silent... Alphacool NexXxos UT60 Full Copper Radiator 240 Noctua NF-A6X25 FLX Quiet Computer Cooling Fan ... NZXT Sentry Mesh Fan Controller w/ Five 30 watt... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
2 x Corsair Air Series SP120   COUGAR CF-V12H Vortex Hydro-Dynamic-Bearing  Monsoon 90° Rotary Angle Fitting - 5/8" - Red Bitspower Dual / Single D5 Top Upgrade Kit 100 ... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
ModMyToys DreamFlex Premium 3/8" ID Tubing Reta... Coolance Liquid Coolant Bottle, 700mL Fluoresce... Coolance PMP 450 Variable Speed D5 Pump Bitspower D5 Mod Top V2 Pom version 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Samsung KS8000 4k UHD 65" Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5000 Keyboard and Mouse SeaSonic M12II 750 
CaseAudio
My TV Stand Cabinet Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-4300 Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 EVGA Geforce GTX 260 G.Skill Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair SSD Samsung 7200 Laptop drive Some DVD Burner I took out of a dead Dell. Noctua NH-C12P SE14 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 19" 16:9 Logitec wireless Enermax 650w Apevia X-Cruiser3 Pink 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A6-6400K Dual Core MSI A78M-E35 Onboard 4Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600Mhz (2 x 2) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Intel 320 SSD Western Digital 2.5" 1Tb 7200rpm  LG External Blue-ray Combo Drive Noctual NH-L9a 92mm SS02 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Toshiba Regza 52" 1080p Logitech K400 Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D 
CaseAudioOther
A piece of plywood and some zip ties. Onboard Hauppauge WinTV HVR-2250 dual tuner card. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardonthejob View Post

Assuming all your drivers and windows updates are current, have you tried updating the BIOS?

All drivers and windows updates are up to date. I haven't tried updating motherboard BIOS as I don't currently have a easy way to do it and was waiting until I tried pretty much everything else since I don't have a dual BIOS motherboard.
post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardonthejob View Post

Assuming all your drivers and windows updates are current, have you tried updating the BIOS?

Updated motherboard BIOS, no fix. There honestly isn't anything left to try and MSi won't cover it under RMA. Stuck with a Piece of **** Nvidia card, should of known I should have just waited for AMD to drop.
post #5 of 13
Got a spare hard drive? Slap windows on it and see if it happens in a freshly installed OS.
Jarvis
(26 items)
 
Pepto Pony
(12 items)
 
MrDVR
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 @ 4.8Ghz CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4g 16Gb G. Skill Ripjaws 4x4 @ 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 PRO 128Gb SSD Intel 160 Gb SSD Intel 250 Gb SSD Generic DVD-RW 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
2 x Noctua (NF-P12-1300 )1300rpm Premium Silent... Alphacool NexXxos UT60 Full Copper Radiator 240 Noctua NF-A6X25 FLX Quiet Computer Cooling Fan ... NZXT Sentry Mesh Fan Controller w/ Five 30 watt... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
2 x Corsair Air Series SP120   COUGAR CF-V12H Vortex Hydro-Dynamic-Bearing  Monsoon 90° Rotary Angle Fitting - 5/8" - Red Bitspower Dual / Single D5 Top Upgrade Kit 100 ... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
ModMyToys DreamFlex Premium 3/8" ID Tubing Reta... Coolance Liquid Coolant Bottle, 700mL Fluoresce... Coolance PMP 450 Variable Speed D5 Pump Bitspower D5 Mod Top V2 Pom version 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Samsung KS8000 4k UHD 65" Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5000 Keyboard and Mouse SeaSonic M12II 750 
CaseAudio
My TV Stand Cabinet Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-4300 Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 EVGA Geforce GTX 260 G.Skill Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair SSD Samsung 7200 Laptop drive Some DVD Burner I took out of a dead Dell. Noctua NH-C12P SE14 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 19" 16:9 Logitec wireless Enermax 650w Apevia X-Cruiser3 Pink 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A6-6400K Dual Core MSI A78M-E35 Onboard 4Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600Mhz (2 x 2) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Intel 320 SSD Western Digital 2.5" 1Tb 7200rpm  LG External Blue-ray Combo Drive Noctual NH-L9a 92mm SS02 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Toshiba Regza 52" 1080p Logitech K400 Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D 
CaseAudioOther
A piece of plywood and some zip ties. Onboard Hauppauge WinTV HVR-2250 dual tuner card. 
  hide details  
Reply
Jarvis
(26 items)
 
Pepto Pony
(12 items)
 
MrDVR
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 @ 4.8Ghz CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4g 16Gb G. Skill Ripjaws 4x4 @ 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 PRO 128Gb SSD Intel 160 Gb SSD Intel 250 Gb SSD Generic DVD-RW 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
2 x Noctua (NF-P12-1300 )1300rpm Premium Silent... Alphacool NexXxos UT60 Full Copper Radiator 240 Noctua NF-A6X25 FLX Quiet Computer Cooling Fan ... NZXT Sentry Mesh Fan Controller w/ Five 30 watt... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
2 x Corsair Air Series SP120   COUGAR CF-V12H Vortex Hydro-Dynamic-Bearing  Monsoon 90° Rotary Angle Fitting - 5/8" - Red Bitspower Dual / Single D5 Top Upgrade Kit 100 ... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
ModMyToys DreamFlex Premium 3/8" ID Tubing Reta... Coolance Liquid Coolant Bottle, 700mL Fluoresce... Coolance PMP 450 Variable Speed D5 Pump Bitspower D5 Mod Top V2 Pom version 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Samsung KS8000 4k UHD 65" Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5000 Keyboard and Mouse SeaSonic M12II 750 
CaseAudio
My TV Stand Cabinet Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-4300 Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 EVGA Geforce GTX 260 G.Skill Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair SSD Samsung 7200 Laptop drive Some DVD Burner I took out of a dead Dell. Noctua NH-C12P SE14 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 19" 16:9 Logitec wireless Enermax 650w Apevia X-Cruiser3 Pink 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A6-6400K Dual Core MSI A78M-E35 Onboard 4Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600Mhz (2 x 2) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Intel 320 SSD Western Digital 2.5" 1Tb 7200rpm  LG External Blue-ray Combo Drive Noctual NH-L9a 92mm SS02 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Toshiba Regza 52" 1080p Logitech K400 Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D 
CaseAudioOther
A piece of plywood and some zip ties. Onboard Hauppauge WinTV HVR-2250 dual tuner card. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 13
If it's not a software issue, than it a hardware issue so I'm not sure why MSI wouldn't cover it under RMA. Not sure why you think it's throttling. Throttling would lower the clock speed/voltage, not the GPU usage and that shouldn't happen on a 770 only hitting 70 degrees.. Clearly something wrong in your system or the card itself.
Computer
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 5 1400 3.8Ghz Gigabyte AB350M-HD3 MSI Geforce GTX 1060 3GB Gaming X G.Skill 16GB(2x8GB) 3200Mhz DDR4 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
SSDs and HDDs Windows 10 x64 Pro Acer G7 G227HQLbi @75Hz EVGA 430w 
Case
Deepcool Frame 
  hide details  
Reply
Computer
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 5 1400 3.8Ghz Gigabyte AB350M-HD3 MSI Geforce GTX 1060 3GB Gaming X G.Skill 16GB(2x8GB) 3200Mhz DDR4 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
SSDs and HDDs Windows 10 x64 Pro Acer G7 G227HQLbi @75Hz EVGA 430w 
Case
Deepcool Frame 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 13
Could you provide a msi afterburner 3.0 monitor log with CPU usage included to get a better insight in what is happening.
My baby
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 4670k @4.2 1.025V Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H Asus GTX 770  G.Skill 2x8gb F3-10700CL10-8GBXL 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
WDC WD5000AAKS-65YGA0 WDC WD2002FAEX-007BA0 Samsung 840 Pro Enermax ETS-40 TB 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64bit Samsung Syncmaster 226BW Razer Lycosa Coolermaster Real Power 850W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Coolermaster HAF 922 Roccat Kone Razer Destructer 
  hide details  
Reply
My baby
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 4670k @4.2 1.025V Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H Asus GTX 770  G.Skill 2x8gb F3-10700CL10-8GBXL 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
WDC WD5000AAKS-65YGA0 WDC WD2002FAEX-007BA0 Samsung 840 Pro Enermax ETS-40 TB 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64bit Samsung Syncmaster 226BW Razer Lycosa Coolermaster Real Power 850W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Coolermaster HAF 922 Roccat Kone Razer Destructer 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysergic View Post

Could you provide a msi afterburner 3.0 monitor log with CPU usage included to get a better insight in what is happening.

I've already opened a RMA ticket and will be RMA'ing it. If that fixes the issue then it was just a faulty card. If not then I will attach a afterburner log.

Edit* Not RMA'ing through MSi, will be exchanging it through newegg which is the vendor I bought it from.
post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 
New GPU came in and I'm still getting the issues.
This is an image of it happening in ESO. Was playing with the usage going all over the place for a couple hours then all of a sudden this happened and wouldn't clock back up.

Snip* Disregard that haha, forgot that it didn't capture my Afterburner overlay.
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardonthejob View Post

Got a spare hard drive? Slap windows on it and see if it happens in a freshly installed OS.
Jarvis
(26 items)
 
Pepto Pony
(12 items)
 
MrDVR
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 @ 4.8Ghz CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4g 16Gb G. Skill Ripjaws 4x4 @ 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 PRO 128Gb SSD Intel 160 Gb SSD Intel 250 Gb SSD Generic DVD-RW 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
2 x Noctua (NF-P12-1300 )1300rpm Premium Silent... Alphacool NexXxos UT60 Full Copper Radiator 240 Noctua NF-A6X25 FLX Quiet Computer Cooling Fan ... NZXT Sentry Mesh Fan Controller w/ Five 30 watt... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
2 x Corsair Air Series SP120   COUGAR CF-V12H Vortex Hydro-Dynamic-Bearing  Monsoon 90° Rotary Angle Fitting - 5/8" - Red Bitspower Dual / Single D5 Top Upgrade Kit 100 ... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
ModMyToys DreamFlex Premium 3/8" ID Tubing Reta... Coolance Liquid Coolant Bottle, 700mL Fluoresce... Coolance PMP 450 Variable Speed D5 Pump Bitspower D5 Mod Top V2 Pom version 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Samsung KS8000 4k UHD 65" Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5000 Keyboard and Mouse SeaSonic M12II 750 
CaseAudio
My TV Stand Cabinet Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-4300 Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 EVGA Geforce GTX 260 G.Skill Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair SSD Samsung 7200 Laptop drive Some DVD Burner I took out of a dead Dell. Noctua NH-C12P SE14 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 19" 16:9 Logitec wireless Enermax 650w Apevia X-Cruiser3 Pink 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A6-6400K Dual Core MSI A78M-E35 Onboard 4Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600Mhz (2 x 2) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Intel 320 SSD Western Digital 2.5" 1Tb 7200rpm  LG External Blue-ray Combo Drive Noctual NH-L9a 92mm SS02 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Toshiba Regza 52" 1080p Logitech K400 Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D 
CaseAudioOther
A piece of plywood and some zip ties. Onboard Hauppauge WinTV HVR-2250 dual tuner card. 
  hide details  
Reply
Jarvis
(26 items)
 
Pepto Pony
(12 items)
 
MrDVR
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 @ 4.8Ghz CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4g 16Gb G. Skill Ripjaws 4x4 @ 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 PRO 128Gb SSD Intel 160 Gb SSD Intel 250 Gb SSD Generic DVD-RW 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
2 x Noctua (NF-P12-1300 )1300rpm Premium Silent... Alphacool NexXxos UT60 Full Copper Radiator 240 Noctua NF-A6X25 FLX Quiet Computer Cooling Fan ... NZXT Sentry Mesh Fan Controller w/ Five 30 watt... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
2 x Corsair Air Series SP120   COUGAR CF-V12H Vortex Hydro-Dynamic-Bearing  Monsoon 90° Rotary Angle Fitting - 5/8" - Red Bitspower Dual / Single D5 Top Upgrade Kit 100 ... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
ModMyToys DreamFlex Premium 3/8" ID Tubing Reta... Coolance Liquid Coolant Bottle, 700mL Fluoresce... Coolance PMP 450 Variable Speed D5 Pump Bitspower D5 Mod Top V2 Pom version 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Samsung KS8000 4k UHD 65" Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5000 Keyboard and Mouse SeaSonic M12II 750 
CaseAudio
My TV Stand Cabinet Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-4300 Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 EVGA Geforce GTX 260 G.Skill Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair SSD Samsung 7200 Laptop drive Some DVD Burner I took out of a dead Dell. Noctua NH-C12P SE14 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 19" 16:9 Logitec wireless Enermax 650w Apevia X-Cruiser3 Pink 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A6-6400K Dual Core MSI A78M-E35 Onboard 4Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600Mhz (2 x 2) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Intel 320 SSD Western Digital 2.5" 1Tb 7200rpm  LG External Blue-ray Combo Drive Noctual NH-L9a 92mm SS02 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Toshiba Regza 52" 1080p Logitech K400 Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D 
CaseAudioOther
A piece of plywood and some zip ties. Onboard Hauppauge WinTV HVR-2250 dual tuner card. 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › MSi GTX 770 gpu usage dropping to 0% and screen freezing. HELP PLEASE!