Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › Build for a 11 year old
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Build for a 11 year old - Page 4

post #31 of 44

what about a i3 and a 260x with a 250gb ssd and a 2tb hard drive on a nice mobo with a 450w power supply all in mitx form

the money pit
(21 items)
 
  
Reply
the money pit
(21 items)
 
  
Reply
post #32 of 44

what about this build

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3ecZ5
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3ecZ5/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3ecZ5/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4430 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($184.97 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($86.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($83.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($84.81 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R7 260X 2GB Video Card  ($148.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Antec ISK600 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Essential 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($56.77 @ NCIX US)
Total: $806.49
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-22 02:47 EDT-0400)

the money pit
(21 items)
 
  
Reply
the money pit
(21 items)
 
  
Reply
post #33 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by davcc22 View Post

what about this build
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3ecZ5

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3ecZ5/by_merchant/

Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3ecZ5/benchmarks/
CPU: Intel Core i5-4430 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($184.97 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ Amazon)

Memory: Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($86.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($83.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($84.81 @ Amazon)

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R7 260X 2GB Video Card  ($148.98 @ SuperBiiz)

Case: Antec ISK600 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Mwave)

Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Essential 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($56.77 @ NCIX US)

Total: $806.49

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-22 02:47 EDT-0400)

if he's going to go with an i5, they might as well get the i5 4670k and z87 bundle, since they mentioned they live clsoe to microcenter
My Rig
(10 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 4670 H81m P33 MSI GTX 760 Hawk G Skill Ripjaws x series 2x4 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD blue 1TB Samsung dvd burner SH-224DB/BEBE Windows 7 Asus VN248H-P 
PowerCase
Rosewill Capstone 550w Corsair carbide 200r 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Pentium G3220 MSI H81m-P33 G.SKILL Sniper Series 4GB PNY XLR8 SSD 120GB 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
Cheapest Drive I Was Able To Find Windows 7 Corsair CX 450w NZXT Source 210 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig
(10 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 4670 H81m P33 MSI GTX 760 Hawk G Skill Ripjaws x series 2x4 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD blue 1TB Samsung dvd burner SH-224DB/BEBE Windows 7 Asus VN248H-P 
PowerCase
Rosewill Capstone 550w Corsair carbide 200r 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Pentium G3220 MSI H81m-P33 G.SKILL Sniper Series 4GB PNY XLR8 SSD 120GB 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
Cheapest Drive I Was Able To Find Windows 7 Corsair CX 450w NZXT Source 210 
  hide details  
Reply
post #34 of 44

what about this build

[url=http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3ecZ5]PCPartPicker part list[/url] / [url=http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3ecZ5/by_merchant/]Price breakdown by merchant[/url] / [url=http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3ecZ5/benchmarks/]Benchmarks[/url]

[b]CPU:[/b]  [url=http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i54430]Intel Core i5-4430 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor[/url]  ($184.97 @ OutletPC)
[b]Motherboard:[/b]  [url=http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gab85nwifi]Gigabyte GA-B85N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard[/url]  ($99.99 @ Amazon)
[b]Memory:[/b]  [url=http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-memory-cml8gx3m2a1600c9r]Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory[/url]  ($86.99 @ Newegg)
[b]Storage:[/b]  [url=http://pcpartpicker.com/part/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mz7te120bw]Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk[/url]  ($83.99 @ Amazon)
[b]Storage:[/b]  [url=http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seagate-internal-hard-drive-st2000dm001]Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive[/url]  ($84.81 @ Amazon)
[b]Video Card:[/b]  [url=http://pcpartpicker.com/part/powercolor-video-card-axr7260x2gbd5tdheoc]PowerColor Radeon R7 260X 2GB Video Card[/url]  ($148.98 @ SuperBiiz)
[b]Case:[/b]  [url=http://pcpartpicker.com/part/antec-case-isk600]Antec ISK600 Mini ITX Tower Case[/url]  ($59.99 @ Mwave)
[b]Power Supply:[/b]  [url=http://pcpartpicker.com/part/silverstone-power-supply-st50fes]Silverstone Strider Essential 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply[/url]  ($56.77 @ NCIX US)
[b]Total:[/b] $806.49
[i](Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)[/i]
[i](Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-22 02:46 EDT-0400)[/i]

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMKR View Post


if he's going to go with an i5, they might as well get the i5 4670k and z87 bundle, since they mentioned they live clsoe to microcenter


true i guess

the money pit
(21 items)
 
  
Reply
the money pit
(21 items)
 
  
Reply
post #35 of 44
As awesome as the FX 8350 is for multi-tasking/encoding, it is a bad choice for a budget gaming build. It's not bad for gaming, just not the most cost effective.
The 8-cores are designed for heavily threaded tasks really, and gaming does not fall under that category.

A lot of games will actually perform equally as good or slightly better when run on a current gen $40 Intel Celeron.
Depending on the games he wants to play, you might want to get an i5 or a dual core. (Celeron/Pentium/i3)


i5 > 8350/i3 for gaming.
The i5 will beat either in any situation, but will fall behind in encoding tasks. You only mentioned that your brother wants to game, so an i5 is what I'd choose for him if I were in your shoes.
The 8350 will outperform an i3 in games that make use of multiple cores, while the i3 can/will outperform the 8350 in games that are mostly single-threaded.


$40 Celeron: http://www.microcenter.com/product/428533/Celeron_G1820_27GHz_LGA_1150_Boxed_processor
Check the benchmarks.
FX: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+FX-8350+Eight-Core&id=1780
Celeron: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Celeron+G1820+%40+2.70GHz&id=2129

Compare the SIngle Thread Ratings.
The Celeron just manages to beat the FX, BARELY, but when you look at the encoding-type performance (overall, multi-threaded) the price difference is more than justified and the 8350 becomes the better chip.

If you're running Starcraft II, the Celeron may outperform the 8350 or at least perform just as good.. for $40. That money could be better spent on a better GPU.
i7 Sandy
(8 items)
 
Skylake Pentium
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600K ASRock Z75 Pro3 GTX 970 16GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
250GB Samsung 850 Evo WinXP Pro / Win7 Pro 1080p 60Hz Thermaltake Smart M850W 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium G4400 ASRock H110M-HDV GTX 550 Ti 8GB (2x4) 
Hard DriveOSPowerOther
250GB SSD Windows 7 500W 300Mbps WLAN 
  hide details  
Reply
i7 Sandy
(8 items)
 
Skylake Pentium
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600K ASRock Z75 Pro3 GTX 970 16GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
250GB Samsung 850 Evo WinXP Pro / Win7 Pro 1080p 60Hz Thermaltake Smart M850W 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium G4400 ASRock H110M-HDV GTX 550 Ti 8GB (2x4) 
Hard DriveOSPowerOther
250GB SSD Windows 7 500W 300Mbps WLAN 
  hide details  
Reply
post #36 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow11377 View Post

As awesome as the FX 8350 is for multi-tasking/encoding, it is a bad choice for a budget gaming build. It's not bad for gaming, just not the most cost effective.

someone told me the 8320 is the best price/performence at the moment for AMD, do you agree?


also, people tell me that instead of going for like an FX 6xxx, you might as well get a 8320 since its only like $40 more.
My Rig
(10 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 4670 H81m P33 MSI GTX 760 Hawk G Skill Ripjaws x series 2x4 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD blue 1TB Samsung dvd burner SH-224DB/BEBE Windows 7 Asus VN248H-P 
PowerCase
Rosewill Capstone 550w Corsair carbide 200r 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Pentium G3220 MSI H81m-P33 G.SKILL Sniper Series 4GB PNY XLR8 SSD 120GB 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
Cheapest Drive I Was Able To Find Windows 7 Corsair CX 450w NZXT Source 210 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig
(10 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 4670 H81m P33 MSI GTX 760 Hawk G Skill Ripjaws x series 2x4 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD blue 1TB Samsung dvd burner SH-224DB/BEBE Windows 7 Asus VN248H-P 
PowerCase
Rosewill Capstone 550w Corsair carbide 200r 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Pentium G3220 MSI H81m-P33 G.SKILL Sniper Series 4GB PNY XLR8 SSD 120GB 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
Cheapest Drive I Was Able To Find Windows 7 Corsair CX 450w NZXT Source 210 
  hide details  
Reply
post #37 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMKR View Post

someone told me the 8320 is the best price/performence at the moment for AMD, do you agree?

For multi-threaded programs and tasks, the 8320/8350 are great deals. I was actually considering getting an 8350 for a replacement in my old computer, and using it for things like Encoding. Definitely a good deal, but not so much for gaming.

I probably won't get an 8350 atm since by the time I do replace it, AMD and Intel will likely have their next line of chips out, but if I were to buy now, the 8350 is very attractive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMKR View Post

also, people tell me that instead of going for like an FX 6xxx, you might as well get a 8320 since its only like $40 more.

If you plan to use the extra cores, it could be worth it, but the money could always be spent towards other things.
For gaming, I don't see a reason to not go with an FX 4xxx. They're pretty much equal in single-thread performance to the 6/8 cores, and are a bit cheaper.

4 cores is more than enough for most games, and enough for the few that use 4 well.
Edited by Shadow11377 - 3/22/14 at 4:48am
i7 Sandy
(8 items)
 
Skylake Pentium
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600K ASRock Z75 Pro3 GTX 970 16GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
250GB Samsung 850 Evo WinXP Pro / Win7 Pro 1080p 60Hz Thermaltake Smart M850W 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium G4400 ASRock H110M-HDV GTX 550 Ti 8GB (2x4) 
Hard DriveOSPowerOther
250GB SSD Windows 7 500W 300Mbps WLAN 
  hide details  
Reply
i7 Sandy
(8 items)
 
Skylake Pentium
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600K ASRock Z75 Pro3 GTX 970 16GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
250GB Samsung 850 Evo WinXP Pro / Win7 Pro 1080p 60Hz Thermaltake Smart M850W 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium G4400 ASRock H110M-HDV GTX 550 Ti 8GB (2x4) 
Hard DriveOSPowerOther
250GB SSD Windows 7 500W 300Mbps WLAN 
  hide details  
Reply
post #38 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow11377 View Post

For multi-threaded programs and tasks, the 8320/8350 are great deals. I was actually considering getting an 8350 for a replacement in my old computer, and using it for things like Encoding. Definitely a good deal, but not so much for gaming.

I probably won't get an 8350 atm since by the time I do replace it, AMD and Intel will likely have their next line of chips out, but if I were to buy now, the 8350 is very attractive.
If you plan to use the extra cores, it could be worth it, but the money could always be spent towards other things.
For gaming, I don't see a reason to not go with an FX 4xxx. They're pretty much equal in single-thread performance to the 6/8 cores, and are a bit cheaper.

4 cores is more than enough for most games, and enough for the few that use 4 well.


yeah this makes sense to me also, and this is what i have been thinking all this time.

but 1 person said that you might as well go into a 6xxx if ur going with a 4xxx,
and a 8xxx if ur going with a 6xxx
since thesejumps are only $20-$40 and the extra core will help in gaming.

so with a 4xxx build, is enough for gaming right? since 4 cores is enough? but how come when i see people giving out AMD builds, i always see a 8320, even if its a "budget" build ? like in this thread fore xample
My Rig
(10 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 4670 H81m P33 MSI GTX 760 Hawk G Skill Ripjaws x series 2x4 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD blue 1TB Samsung dvd burner SH-224DB/BEBE Windows 7 Asus VN248H-P 
PowerCase
Rosewill Capstone 550w Corsair carbide 200r 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Pentium G3220 MSI H81m-P33 G.SKILL Sniper Series 4GB PNY XLR8 SSD 120GB 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
Cheapest Drive I Was Able To Find Windows 7 Corsair CX 450w NZXT Source 210 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig
(10 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 4670 H81m P33 MSI GTX 760 Hawk G Skill Ripjaws x series 2x4 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD blue 1TB Samsung dvd burner SH-224DB/BEBE Windows 7 Asus VN248H-P 
PowerCase
Rosewill Capstone 550w Corsair carbide 200r 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Pentium G3220 MSI H81m-P33 G.SKILL Sniper Series 4GB PNY XLR8 SSD 120GB 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
Cheapest Drive I Was Able To Find Windows 7 Corsair CX 450w NZXT Source 210 
  hide details  
Reply
post #39 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMKR View Post



[/B]



yeah this makes sense to me also, and this is what i have been thinking all this time.



but 1 person said that you might as well go into a 6xxx if ur going with a 4xxx,

and a 8xxx if ur going with a 6xxx

since thesejumps are only $20-$40 and the extra core will help in gaming.



so with a 4xxx build, is enough for gaming right? since 4 cores is enough? but how come when i see people giving out AMD builds, i always see a 8320, even if its a "budget" build ? like in this thread fore xample

 

the fx 4130 dose a ripper job even at stock i know my sig rig has one no bottle neck with a hd7870 either
the money pit
(21 items)
 
  
Reply
the money pit
(21 items)
 
  
Reply
post #40 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by davcc22 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMKR View Post



[/B]



yeah this makes sense to me also, and this is what i have been thinking all this time.



but 1 person said that you might as well go into a 6xxx if ur going with a 4xxx,

and a 8xxx if ur going with a 6xxx

since thesejumps are only $20-$40 and the extra core will help in gaming.



so with a 4xxx build, is enough for gaming right? since 4 cores is enough? but how come when i see people giving out AMD builds, i always see a 8320, even if its a "budget" build ? like in this thread fore xample

 

the fx 4130 dose a ripper job even at stock i know my sig rig has one no bottle neck with a hd7870 either

thank you, you made me feel at ease even more recommending a fx 4xxx for actual real "budget builds" to others.

made me feel weird seeing
"budget build !! fx 8320, ... ... ... .. etc etc"
My Rig
(10 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 4670 H81m P33 MSI GTX 760 Hawk G Skill Ripjaws x series 2x4 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD blue 1TB Samsung dvd burner SH-224DB/BEBE Windows 7 Asus VN248H-P 
PowerCase
Rosewill Capstone 550w Corsair carbide 200r 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Pentium G3220 MSI H81m-P33 G.SKILL Sniper Series 4GB PNY XLR8 SSD 120GB 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
Cheapest Drive I Was Able To Find Windows 7 Corsair CX 450w NZXT Source 210 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig
(10 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 4670 H81m P33 MSI GTX 760 Hawk G Skill Ripjaws x series 2x4 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD blue 1TB Samsung dvd burner SH-224DB/BEBE Windows 7 Asus VN248H-P 
PowerCase
Rosewill Capstone 550w Corsair carbide 200r 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Pentium G3220 MSI H81m-P33 G.SKILL Sniper Series 4GB PNY XLR8 SSD 120GB 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
Cheapest Drive I Was Able To Find Windows 7 Corsair CX 450w NZXT Source 210 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD - General
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › Build for a 11 year old