Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Windows › Crash Analysis and Debugging › Unusual problem when resuming from sleep mode in Windows 7
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Unusual problem when resuming from sleep mode in Windows 7

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
I've been plagued by this problem for a little while now and have never been able to put my finger on it. About 1 out of every 5 times I wake my computer up from sleep mode, it does this weird thing where it keeps powering up, then down again (powering down each time before the BIOS can even beep) with no signal to the screen screen. It'll do this about 3 times usually. Then it'll just do a full restart. I then just get a list of options to boot in safe mode or start windows normally. And of course, since it was a full reboot, my session is lost. Occasionally it'll lockup on the Windows loading screen as well. Forcing me to manually do a hard reboot.

I used to run that hybrid sleep mode (as it's on by default and I didn't realise. it does sleep and hibernate together). Once I figured that out, I thought that it was a problem with my SSD (Samsung 840 Pro). As the restore data was apparently getting corrupted (though I would assume that windows would attempt to restore from the RAM if power hadn't been lost. so maybe a memory problem?). This happened with and without Samsung magician enabled (some people have reported this program causing issues like this).

Now I have disabled hybrid sleep. But the issue still exists (with and without samsung magician and rapid mode enabled/disabled). But I no longer get the "corrupted restore data" message.

I'm sure I have a stable overclock due to the stress tests that I've done. And my computer runs great. Blue screens are a very rare thing! But still, this problem is there :/

There has however, been a couple of blue screens involved in these weird restarting problems. And I mean just a couple. I was never aware of the blue screens as they happened because they didn't show up on the screen. But after this problem happens, I check things with bluescreenview. And that's when I noticed something. I don't have these files anymore because I reinstalled windows the other day as a last ditch attempt to fix the problem. But I do remember that "ntoskrnl.exe" was involved in both blue screens.

And one last thing to note which could be of some relevance here. My 7970 will sometimes display graphical errors when run on it's default factory overclock. But I always set the clock to 20mhz lower in ccc which stops the problem. So the graphics card is fine really. It just wasn't quite stable with the factory oc. But still, this could have something to do with it I suppose.

So this does look like some kind of memory/ssd issue to me. But this is the only apparent problem. And I don't know what to do from here. Any ideas what could be the cause of this? Thanks smile.gif
Edited by ET900 - 3/27/14 at 6:14am
post #2 of 8
Update BIOS.
Set BIOS to stock.
Secure erase the SSD.
Install Windows.
Install all essential drivers.
Retest.

If the issue still happens, test the RAM and the CPU at stock speeds. If they pass, look into replacing that 7970 with a known working GPU.

And if all that does not work, the SSD could be having difficulties or you've set up the software side of things incorrectly and/or possible driver conflicts.

And after all that's sorted and you still see issues, change PSU or a known working PSU.
Please note: Software is usually the case for these issues.
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyW View Post

Update BIOS.
Set BIOS to stock.
Secure erase the SSD.
Install Windows.
Install all essential drivers.
Retest.

If the issue still happens, test the RAM and the CPU at stock speeds. If they pass, look into replacing that 7970 with a known working GPU.

And if all that does not work, the SSD could be having difficulties or you've set up the software side of things incorrectly and/or possible driver conflicts.

And after all that's sorted and you still see issues, change PSU or a known working PSU.
Please note: Software is usually the case for these issues.

Thanks for the reply. But I've done all those things already. My psu is good too. And the issue happens when I just use the cpu's onboard gpu with the 7970 removed. I was more hoping for some ideas of what the issue could actually be, rather than running through a load of lengthy trial and error tests to see if I can get it working. As I have already done a lot of things like that. Things seem stable from stress tests. My computer runs great as I say! It's just this issue that happens occasionally when resuming from sleep. Thanks for your help though smile.gif
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET900 View Post

I've been plagued by this problem for a little while now and have never been able to put my finger on it. About 1 out of every 5 times I wake my computer up from sleep mode, it does this weird thing where it keeps powering up, then down again with a blank screen (maybe 3 times). Then it'll just do a proper restart (I know this because I hear the BIOS beep and see the BIOS POST screen). I then just get a list of options to boot in safe mode or start windows normally. And of course, since it was a full reboot, my session is lost.

    That sounds possibly like a PSU/motherboard compatibility issue, especially since it continues even without the graphics card.  I'm quite sure that Windows (software) can't switch the power on and off like that when the computer is "down and out" trying to wake from standby, since the CPU (software) has no power when the power is off.
    Even though you know your PSU is good, I suggest trying a different one (different make/model would be good) and see if the problem persists.
My desktop PC
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-3770K Gigabyte P67A-D3-B3 NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS  1x Corsair 8 GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Kingston SV300S3 WesternDigital WD10EZEX Samsung HD154UI Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Daewoo L947BK Gateway FPD1530 HTK-2001 Dynex DX-400WPS 
MouseAudio
Kensington K72400 Realtek ALC889 
  hide details  
Reply
My desktop PC
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-3770K Gigabyte P67A-D3-B3 NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS  1x Corsair 8 GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Kingston SV300S3 WesternDigital WD10EZEX Samsung HD154UI Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Daewoo L947BK Gateway FPD1530 HTK-2001 Dynex DX-400WPS 
MouseAudio
Kensington K72400 Realtek ALC889 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techie007 View Post

    That sounds possibly like a PSU/motherboard compatibility issue, especially since it continues even without the graphics card.  I'm quite sure that Windows (software) can't switch the power on and off like that when the computer is "down and out" trying to wake from standby, since the CPU (software) has no power when the power is off.
    Even though you know your PSU is good, I suggest trying a different one (different make/model would be good) and see if the problem persists.

well it's weird. because it's not really powering down completely when it does this. it's like it keeps going in and out of sleep mode or something, rather than powering off and on again. because it does this a few times, then it does an actual proper restart after. so i think power is still constant until it does the actual restart which triggers the bios beep. i don't have another psu i can try at the moment either. but i have faith in this one as i bought it new about a year and a half ago max. it's never been stressed as the setup i have now is the most demanding it's seen. i'm pretty sure there are no compatibility issues with it either. though i know you can't always rule these things out. but trying another psu at this point in time is not something i can do. thanks smile.gif
post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 
On second thoughts. I think it actually is powering down completely during these restarts. It's just that once it powers up, it then powers down before the bios beep happens each time. Then after a few times of that, it finally reboots. It's locking up at the windows loading screen as well when it does this sometimes. I have to manually do a hard reboot when it does that.

I will update my original post with this info..
post #7 of 8
    During S3 sleep (modern standby), the PSU turns completely off just like during shutdown.  The big difference is that the memory and north bridge stay on with power from the +5VSB rail during standby.  When the computer is asked to leave standby, the power controller on the motherboard sends the power-on signal to the PSU.  Some PSUs have a large delay between when they receive the "on" signal and then they actually come online (they are charging up the PFC circuit), and some motherboards don't like this.  You can tell if the PSU is being turned on and off by watching any fans or LEDs in the computer, as they will lose power when the PSU switches off.  You might also get a good count from a HDD's SMART info, from the Power Cycles or Power Off Retract Count raw values. thumb.gif
 
Edited by Techie007 - 3/27/14 at 7:49am
My desktop PC
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-3770K Gigabyte P67A-D3-B3 NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS  1x Corsair 8 GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Kingston SV300S3 WesternDigital WD10EZEX Samsung HD154UI Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Daewoo L947BK Gateway FPD1530 HTK-2001 Dynex DX-400WPS 
MouseAudio
Kensington K72400 Realtek ALC889 
  hide details  
Reply
My desktop PC
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-3770K Gigabyte P67A-D3-B3 NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS  1x Corsair 8 GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Kingston SV300S3 WesternDigital WD10EZEX Samsung HD154UI Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Daewoo L947BK Gateway FPD1530 HTK-2001 Dynex DX-400WPS 
MouseAudio
Kensington K72400 Realtek ALC889 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techie007 View Post

    During S3 sleep (modern standby), the PSU turns completely off just like during shutdown.  The big difference is that the memory and north bridge stay on with power from the +5VSB rail during standby.  When the computer is asked to leave standby, the power controller on the motherboard sends the power-on signal to the PSU.  Some PSUs have a large delay between when they receive the "on" signal and then they actually come online (they are charging up the PFC circuit), and some motherboards don't like this.  You can tell if the PSU is being turned on and off by watching any fans or LEDs in the computer, as they will lose power when the PSU switches off.  You might also get a good count from a HDD's SMART info, from the Power Cycles or Power Off Retract Count raw values. thumb.gif
 

yeh it is turning on and off. the fans spin up and down at the same time. the power and hdd lights on the front panel go off and on as well. for some reason i though that didn't happen before. but it did it to me this morning and then i noticed this is what it actually does! so maybe there is some issue between the mobo and psu as you say. and i don't really know what i can do about that. my computer runs fine otherwise. i guess i'll just have to deal with it if i can't figure out a fix. but i'm still suspicious about it being a memory or ssd issue. seeing as i used to get a message about the restore data being corrupted when i used hybrid sleep. and because windows will sometimes lockup when loading after this rebooting issue happens. cheers wink.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Crash Analysis and Debugging
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Windows › Crash Analysis and Debugging › Unusual problem when resuming from sleep mode in Windows 7