Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › FX-8350 Build. Need advice.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FX-8350 Build. Need advice. - Page 5

post #41 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocboy123 View Post

Maybe the Cooler Master Hyper 212, considering he isn't overclocking? I've used the cooler myself, it is a beast for 25 bucks.

Yeah the 212 evo would be a good choice. It's an amazing cooler for the price. I had it before I got my h100i and kept my 8350 well below the thermal limits at stock. I also used it on a friends build with a 8350 and keeps his nice and cool too at stock.
Edited by orlfman - 3/27/14 at 7:39pm
strix
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen R7 1800x Asus X370 Crosshair Vi Hero Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ LE G.skill Flare X 3200 2x8 16gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
2x Western Digital Black 2TB 2x 512GB Samsung 850 Pro 1x 512GB Samsung 950 Pro Noctua NH-D15S + 2x Corsair ML120's 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Education Asus MG279 Ducky One White & Grey - Cherry Reds Evga Supernova G3 750 
CaseMouse
Corsair Air 740 Steelseries Rival 700 
  hide details  
Reply
strix
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen R7 1800x Asus X370 Crosshair Vi Hero Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ LE G.skill Flare X 3200 2x8 16gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
2x Western Digital Black 2TB 2x 512GB Samsung 850 Pro 1x 512GB Samsung 950 Pro Noctua NH-D15S + 2x Corsair ML120's 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Education Asus MG279 Ducky One White & Grey - Cherry Reds Evga Supernova G3 750 
CaseMouse
Corsair Air 740 Steelseries Rival 700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #42 of 86
Thread cleaned. If you had a post deleted, it was because it was either a violation of the Terms of Service, a response/quote of a post in violation of the Terms of Service or off-topic.

Please keep the discussion on-topic and amicable. Thanks for your anticipated cooperation.
IvyBurn 2012
(14 items)
 
Lenovo Z580
(13 items)
 
Camera Stuff
(10 items)
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3770k Gigabyte Z77-DS3H eVGA GTX 760 SC Corsair Vengeance  
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 830 LG Super Multi Blue Windows 8.1 Asus 24" 120hz 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC (Envision) I2367F IPS Ducky 1008-C  Corsair HX620 Cooler Master Storm Sniper 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G502 Logitech G240 
CPURAMHard DriveOS
Intel Core i5-3210M 8gb DDR3 Intel 730 Series SSD Windows 8 
  hide details  
Reply
IvyBurn 2012
(14 items)
 
Lenovo Z580
(13 items)
 
Camera Stuff
(10 items)
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3770k Gigabyte Z77-DS3H eVGA GTX 760 SC Corsair Vengeance  
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 830 LG Super Multi Blue Windows 8.1 Asus 24" 120hz 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC (Envision) I2367F IPS Ducky 1008-C  Corsair HX620 Cooler Master Storm Sniper 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G502 Logitech G240 
CPURAMHard DriveOS
Intel Core i5-3210M 8gb DDR3 Intel 730 Series SSD Windows 8 
  hide details  
Reply
post #43 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunzkevin1 View Post

I find it hard to believe that any game besides Starcraft or a similar title, would perform better on a 760 and an Intel processor, than would a 770 and an FX-8350 at the same graphics settings.

Arma series and mods, Supcom 2, Planetside 2, WOT, Skyrim's, CIV5, Most flight simulators and driving simulators, WoW and almost any high player-count conditions in MMORPGs.

All of these are pretty hyper-sensitive to per-core performance, and will have more useful performance scaling going from PD@4.1ghz to Haswell@3.5ghz than they will going from a GTX760 to a GTX770.


It was a moot point for me to even bother making in the first place though, as the implementation cost of the FX-8350 and E3-1230V3 is exactly the same once the PSU and HSF is factored in, so the E3 would not require a reduction in GPU choice from budget constraints any more than the FX-8350 would.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 990X EVO R2.0 Sparkle GTX460 768MB ballistix tactical 2 x 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Toshiiba THNSNH 256GB Enterprise RE3 1TB Asus BD combo drive Artic A30 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Manjaro Linux Samsung 21.5" LCD E2009WFP E2009WFP 
PowerCase
Seasonic G 550W Modular Fractal Design Core 3500 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-6300, 4.7 GHZ@1.43V GA-970A-UD3P GTX 460 768MB Mixed DIMMs. 2x4GB + 2x8GB @ 1600-8-8-8 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Toshiba THNSNH 19nm 256GB 1TB Spinpoint F3 WD RE3 1TB WD RE3 1TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSOS
yes CM Seidon 120V SolydK OpenSuse 13.1 
OSOSMonitorMonitor
Linux Mint 9-32 bit // Linux Mint 17-64 bit  Manjaro Xfce Samsung 21.5" HannsG 21.5" sideways! 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Sticky ATNG Rosewill Green 630W NZXT Gamma Basic Microsoft corded 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A10-6800k 4.8GHZ @ 1.375V, 1.2GHZ iGPU Gigabyte GA-F2A85XN-WIFI HD8670D Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate ST1000DM003 Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Zalman CNPS5X Linux Mint 15 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG IPS224V-PN Logitec K360 FSP 400W Aurum S 80+ gold Prodigy 
Mouse
logitec M235 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 990X EVO R2.0 Sparkle GTX460 768MB ballistix tactical 2 x 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Toshiiba THNSNH 256GB Enterprise RE3 1TB Asus BD combo drive Artic A30 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Manjaro Linux Samsung 21.5" LCD E2009WFP E2009WFP 
PowerCase
Seasonic G 550W Modular Fractal Design Core 3500 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-6300, 4.7 GHZ@1.43V GA-970A-UD3P GTX 460 768MB Mixed DIMMs. 2x4GB + 2x8GB @ 1600-8-8-8 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Toshiba THNSNH 19nm 256GB 1TB Spinpoint F3 WD RE3 1TB WD RE3 1TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSOS
yes CM Seidon 120V SolydK OpenSuse 13.1 
OSOSMonitorMonitor
Linux Mint 9-32 bit // Linux Mint 17-64 bit  Manjaro Xfce Samsung 21.5" HannsG 21.5" sideways! 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Sticky ATNG Rosewill Green 630W NZXT Gamma Basic Microsoft corded 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A10-6800k 4.8GHZ @ 1.375V, 1.2GHZ iGPU Gigabyte GA-F2A85XN-WIFI HD8670D Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate ST1000DM003 Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Zalman CNPS5X Linux Mint 15 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG IPS224V-PN Logitec K360 FSP 400W Aurum S 80+ gold Prodigy 
Mouse
logitec M235 
  hide details  
Reply
post #44 of 86
i would suggest going for the 8320 with a better cooler. Im using the ga-990fxa-ud3, 8 gigs of corsair xms3 @ 1866, with an asus gtx 770 dcu ii. overclocking is easy, at least i may have hit the lotto on this chip and mobo:devil:. i dont have many problems playing games. battlefield 4 on ultra at 1920x1080 with anti aliasing turned down just because i have a 2gb card. but i would defiantly go with a aftermarket cooler the fx series get hot when overclocked to 4.5 or higher.thumb.gif
reebs rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
fx 8320 990fxa-ud3 gtx 770 dcuii geforce 210 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair XMS3 Wd blue crucal m500 h100i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
windows 8.1 pro  asus VS238H-P cyborg v7 evga supernova 750w  
CaseMouse
nzxt 410 R.A.T. 3 
  hide details  
Reply
reebs rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
fx 8320 990fxa-ud3 gtx 770 dcuii geforce 210 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair XMS3 Wd blue crucal m500 h100i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
windows 8.1 pro  asus VS238H-P cyborg v7 evga supernova 750w  
CaseMouse
nzxt 410 R.A.T. 3 
  hide details  
Reply
post #45 of 86
Thread Starter 
I've been really busy with work and grad school this past week so I haven't had a chance to post. i have been reading up on what people have been saying. Also as I said ive been out of the hardware loop for years and years redface.gif , so most of the things people post I spend a fair bit of time looking up and researching so I don't get around to replying.

I didnt intend to start a flame war sorry. I decided on an FX-8350 for various reasons and although people have been posting about intels, im sticking with the 8350.

I did decide that spending a little more on a mobo is going to be a good investment since this is going to be a long term rig(like my poor old p4). I'm leaning on getting a Asus 990FX Sabertooth R2.0. For the price it looks like it will serve me well for some time and leave me room to add a second video card and overclock once i decide to cross that bridge.

I was looking at the FX-8350 VS the FX-8320. For the extra ~$40 will I get much more longevity out of it? I heard that there weren't going to be anymore processors made for the AM3+ socket anymore so id want to get as much use out of it as I can.

Definitely going for a non-stock cooler, but im sticking with air. I move my machine around a lot( and i will especially in the next few months) so not having a wc system to worry about will save me some sanity. Is it possible to oc on air? Im not going to oc it at first but the idea is to have the option down the line, probably with an upgraded cooling system then.

Also, thank you all for your input! Its givin me tons of insight!
post #46 of 86
There are great air coolers that can allow pretty serious overclocking, however, portability and large air-cooling requires some careful considerations. Air coolers large enough to support significant overclocking on the 8 core FX series are also heavy and tall. They can damage motherboards if the machine is not transported with care. A jar will cause the weight of the CPU cooler to "twist" against the CPU socket.

There are cases with built-in support mechanisms to prevent this. Might be worth looking into if you move your machine around a lot.

On the other hand, AIO CLCs, unlike traditional water cooling, fit *inside* the case and are entirely self-contained, making them great for machines that need to be portable while still being performance tuned.

Some air coolers to consider would be the Noctua D14, Thermalright Silver Arrow, Thermalright Macho 120, Zalman CNPS14X. SilverStone HE01. Stuff like that. Most of these "monster" coolers can deal with 200-300W dissipation levels pretty well.


Pick the FX-8350 for more out-of-the-box performance and/or if you want a *chance* at a slightly higher overclock, Otherwise the FX-8320 is normally the better value from a pure cost/performance consideration once overclocked as the margins will be within 100-200mhz *usually*. Given your decision to opt for a more expensive board, I think I would probably just go for the FX-8350/9370 since you're already sort of "committed" to a lower value, higher novelty factor build with this anyway.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 990X EVO R2.0 Sparkle GTX460 768MB ballistix tactical 2 x 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Toshiiba THNSNH 256GB Enterprise RE3 1TB Asus BD combo drive Artic A30 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Manjaro Linux Samsung 21.5" LCD E2009WFP E2009WFP 
PowerCase
Seasonic G 550W Modular Fractal Design Core 3500 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-6300, 4.7 GHZ@1.43V GA-970A-UD3P GTX 460 768MB Mixed DIMMs. 2x4GB + 2x8GB @ 1600-8-8-8 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Toshiba THNSNH 19nm 256GB 1TB Spinpoint F3 WD RE3 1TB WD RE3 1TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSOS
yes CM Seidon 120V SolydK OpenSuse 13.1 
OSOSMonitorMonitor
Linux Mint 9-32 bit // Linux Mint 17-64 bit  Manjaro Xfce Samsung 21.5" HannsG 21.5" sideways! 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Sticky ATNG Rosewill Green 630W NZXT Gamma Basic Microsoft corded 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A10-6800k 4.8GHZ @ 1.375V, 1.2GHZ iGPU Gigabyte GA-F2A85XN-WIFI HD8670D Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate ST1000DM003 Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Zalman CNPS5X Linux Mint 15 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG IPS224V-PN Logitec K360 FSP 400W Aurum S 80+ gold Prodigy 
Mouse
logitec M235 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 990X EVO R2.0 Sparkle GTX460 768MB ballistix tactical 2 x 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Toshiiba THNSNH 256GB Enterprise RE3 1TB Asus BD combo drive Artic A30 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Manjaro Linux Samsung 21.5" LCD E2009WFP E2009WFP 
PowerCase
Seasonic G 550W Modular Fractal Design Core 3500 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-6300, 4.7 GHZ@1.43V GA-970A-UD3P GTX 460 768MB Mixed DIMMs. 2x4GB + 2x8GB @ 1600-8-8-8 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Toshiba THNSNH 19nm 256GB 1TB Spinpoint F3 WD RE3 1TB WD RE3 1TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSOS
yes CM Seidon 120V SolydK OpenSuse 13.1 
OSOSMonitorMonitor
Linux Mint 9-32 bit // Linux Mint 17-64 bit  Manjaro Xfce Samsung 21.5" HannsG 21.5" sideways! 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Sticky ATNG Rosewill Green 630W NZXT Gamma Basic Microsoft corded 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A10-6800k 4.8GHZ @ 1.375V, 1.2GHZ iGPU Gigabyte GA-F2A85XN-WIFI HD8670D Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate ST1000DM003 Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Zalman CNPS5X Linux Mint 15 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG IPS224V-PN Logitec K360 FSP 400W Aurum S 80+ gold Prodigy 
Mouse
logitec M235 
  hide details  
Reply
post #47 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narinik View Post

I've been really busy with work and grad school this past week so I haven't had a chance to post. i have been reading up on what people have been saying. Also as I said ive been out of the hardware loop for years and years redface.gif , so most of the things people post I spend a fair bit of time looking up and researching so I don't get around to replying.

I didnt intend to start a flame war sorry. I decided on an FX-8350 for various reasons and although people have been posting about intels, im sticking with the 8350.

I did decide that spending a little more on a mobo is going to be a good investment since this is going to be a long term rig(like my poor old p4). I'm leaning on getting a Asus 990FX Sabertooth R2.0. For the price it looks like it will serve me well for some time and leave me room to add a second video card and overclock once i decide to cross that bridge.

I was looking at the FX-8350 VS the FX-8320. For the extra ~$40 will I get much more longevity out of it? I heard that there weren't going to be anymore processors made for the AM3+ socket anymore so id want to get as much use out of it as I can.

Definitely going for a non-stock cooler, but im sticking with air. I move my machine around a lot( and i will especially in the next few months) so not having a wc system to worry about will save me some sanity. Is it possible to oc on air? Im not going to oc it at first but the idea is to have the option down the line, probably with an upgraded cooling system then.

Also, thank you all for your input! Its givin me tons of insight!
The 8320 is a fantastic price to performance chip. I mean @ $140 for something that fast is hard to say no to. Honestly, if your not going to do a major overclock, the Sabertooth isn't necessary at all and kind of a waist of money. A motherboard like the Gigabyte FXA990-UD3 would work great for you. Take a second look at my build I did for you on the last page. Has quite a few things for you to consider wink.gif
Black Jarvis V1.9
(21 items)
 
Mazdaspeed6
(18 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Jarvis V1.9
(21 items)
 
Mazdaspeed6
(18 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #48 of 86
i just got lucky with the chips and mobo i got, if your going to overclock on air you wont need the sabertooth, you would be fine with something like the gigabyte 990fxa series, because you will have a hard time with the extreme overclock on air so save some money or get a better cooler. at least thats what i think thumb.gif you can use a closed loop like the corsair h80i or H100i, im in college to so i have to move my desktop around alot. and i dont think its to bad having the h80i in my system smile.gif
reebs rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
fx 8320 990fxa-ud3 gtx 770 dcuii geforce 210 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair XMS3 Wd blue crucal m500 h100i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
windows 8.1 pro  asus VS238H-P cyborg v7 evga supernova 750w  
CaseMouse
nzxt 410 R.A.T. 3 
  hide details  
Reply
reebs rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
fx 8320 990fxa-ud3 gtx 770 dcuii geforce 210 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair XMS3 Wd blue crucal m500 h100i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
windows 8.1 pro  asus VS238H-P cyborg v7 evga supernova 750w  
CaseMouse
nzxt 410 R.A.T. 3 
  hide details  
Reply
post #49 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdocod View Post

There are great air coolers that can allow pretty serious overclocking, however, portability and large air-cooling requires some careful considerations. Air coolers large enough to support significant overclocking on the 8 core FX series are also heavy and tall. They can damage motherboards if the machine is not transported with care. A jar will cause the weight of the CPU cooler to "twist" against the CPU socket.

There are cases with built-in support mechanisms to prevent this. Might be worth looking into if you move your machine around a lot.

On the other hand, AIO CLCs, unlike traditional water cooling, fit *inside* the case and are entirely self-contained, making them great for machines that need to be portable while still being performance tuned.

Some air coolers to consider would be the Noctua D14, Thermalright Silver Arrow, Thermalright Macho 120, Zalman CNPS14X. SilverStone HE01. Stuff like that. Most of these "monster" coolers can deal with 200-300W dissipation levels pretty well.


Pick the FX-8350 for more out-of-the-box performance and/or if you want a *chance* at a slightly higher overclock, Otherwise the FX-8320 is normally the better value from a pure cost/performance consideration once overclocked as the margins will be within 100-200mhz *usually*. Given your decision to opt for a more expensive board, I think I would probably just go for the FX-8350/9370 since you're already sort of "committed" to a lower value, higher novelty factor build with this anyway.
hey ,also there is a Thermalright true spirit 140 power( about 48usd on superbiiz) and it would have thermalright`s archon performance for a half of irs price(171mm height)
Edited by PontiacGTX - 3/28/14 at 11:16am
post #50 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

hey ,also there is a Thermalright true spirit 140 power( about 48usd on superbiiz) and it would have thermalright`s archon performance for a half of irs price(171mm heigher)
Also the NZXT Havik 140 is another great one to consider.
Black Jarvis V1.9
(21 items)
 
Mazdaspeed6
(18 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Jarvis V1.9
(21 items)
 
Mazdaspeed6
(18 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD - General
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › FX-8350 Build. Need advice.