Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [NEWSBTC] An entrepreneur donates 20million Dogecoins accidentally instead of 2 million he wished to donate.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[NEWSBTC] An entrepreneur donates 20million Dogecoins accidentally instead of 2 million he wished to donate.

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Ever accidentally donate 20 million of anything to a cause? Me neither.

Alex Green, the founder of Moolah, a cryptographic payments platform, can’t say the same. See, in the dogecoin community, there’s an initiative going on that seeks to sponsor NASCAR driver Josh Wise, helping him get into the Sprint Cup Series.

So when Green decided he was going to donate, he decided on 2 million doge. But in an unfortunate turn of events, he accidentally typed in an extra 0 — making his contribution 20 million dogecoin (or about $15,000 USD). Ouch!

Source

An entrepreneur accidentally donates 20 million instead of 2 million he actually wished to donate for a Dogecoin project which sponsors a Nascar car driver, it totally cost him about 15000 US$ instead of 1500$, but he is very happy about it.

while the story also sheds light on other fact, that in the cryptocurrency world even zeros will end up costing you millions in just seconds...gotta be extremely careful.
post #2 of 28
It didn't cost him millions in seconds, its cost $15,000, you even said.


Cool to see he is standing by it. I didn't know they got the Jamaican bobsleigh team going too though haha
Downgraded 2.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel i3 4130 msi b85-g41 EVGA GTX680 Samsung 30nm god sticks 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Crucial M4 LiteOn iHES108 Windows 10 Pro x64 
KeyboardPowerCase
rosewill rk9000re Corsair HX650W CHIEFTEC Bravo BL-01B 
  hide details  
Reply
Downgraded 2.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel i3 4130 msi b85-g41 EVGA GTX680 Samsung 30nm god sticks 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Crucial M4 LiteOn iHES108 Windows 10 Pro x64 
KeyboardPowerCase
rosewill rk9000re Corsair HX650W CHIEFTEC Bravo BL-01B 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 28
Thread Starter 
he threw a challenge to match his donation, and someone actually did it
post #4 of 28
Thread Starter 
the dogecoin community is so exciting
post #5 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadman View Post

It didn't cost him millions in seconds, its cost $15,000, you even said.


Cool to see he is standing by it. I didn't know they got the Jamaican bobsleigh team going too though haha

Well, it cost him 18 million more dogecoins than he meant. Depends what way you look at it.
post #6 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtMunky View Post

Well, it cost him 18 million more dogecoins than he meant. Depends what way you look at it.

Either way, its just a factor of 10. Its not like your saying he hit the dollar symbol instead of yen.
Zev's Comp
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDM... GeForce GTX 750 Ti G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DrivePower
1TB HDD 64GB SSD (Used for SRT) 500 GB. Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V... 
Case
COOLER MASTER ELITE 335 RC-335-KKN1-GP Black S... 
  hide details  
Reply
Zev's Comp
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDM... GeForce GTX 750 Ti G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DrivePower
1TB HDD 64GB SSD (Used for SRT) 500 GB. Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V... 
Case
COOLER MASTER ELITE 335 RC-335-KKN1-GP Black S... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 28
Heh, I talk to him a lot on IRC.

At least he didn't demand his money back or anything, he is really a cool guy smile.gif
post #8 of 28
Wow
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuddaloreappu View Post

An entrepreneur accidentally donates 20 million instead of 2 million he actually wished to donate for a Dogecoin project which sponsors a Nascar car driver, it totally cost him about 15000 US$ instead of 1500$, but he is very happy about it.

while the story also sheds light on other fact, that in the cryptocurrency world even zeros will end up costing you millions in just seconds...gotta be extremely careful.

http://newsbtc.com/2014/03/24/founder-moolah-accidentally-donates-20-million-dogecoins-sponsor-nascar-driver/

And he is very happy about it biggrin.gif That is a brave decision. He could have easily requested partial return but he decided to stay with the "error". Crazy and pleasant guy at the same time.
However lesson from this - be careful while using the crypto-currencies - it may cost you a lot.
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by theFidel View Post

However lesson from this - be careful while using the crypto-currencies - it may cost you a lot.
Don't you mean 'be careful when using computers'? How is this any different than typing an extra 0 while paying my credit card bill online or something?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [NEWSBTC] An entrepreneur donates 20million Dogecoins accidentally instead of 2 million he wished to donate.