Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [WSJ] Facebook to Acquire Oculus
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[WSJ] Facebook to Acquire Oculus - Page 20

post #191 of 383
This really smells bad... I'm glad I didn't back it at all. I won't back anything for crowed funding now unless stuff like this is outlawed. IMO each backer should be entitled to a chunk of that 2billion...
Angry Monster
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 4770K MSI Z87 G45 HIS R9 290 G-skill Ripjaws 4x4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Black 640GB Sata III LG DVD RW Corsair H70 W8.1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
42" Sharp Aquos K800 EW 650W Antek 900 
MouseAudio
R.A.T. 9 Soundblaster xi-fi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
Angry Monster
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 4770K MSI Z87 G45 HIS R9 290 G-skill Ripjaws 4x4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Black 640GB Sata III LG DVD RW Corsair H70 W8.1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
42" Sharp Aquos K800 EW 650W Antek 900 
MouseAudio
R.A.T. 9 Soundblaster xi-fi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #192 of 383
Here are a lot of Palmer Q&As taken from Reddit: http://imgur.com/a/ftOpP

I'm not going to lie. His responses sound great, but it's the fact that they are OWNED by FB now that really gets to me. FB can just flip a switch one day and kill all Oculus development or even worse, can Palmer and use Oculus as a advertising tool and not a VR gaming HW that it was intended to be.

Palmer says everything will be fine, but he no longer has the control he once had. Who's to say he even has any power over development anymore? mad.gif

I probably sound hysterical, but I won't take anything as fact until I see the finished product and it's evident that Zuckerberg steps back and lets the dev team do their thing.
Edited by bajer29 - 3/26/14 at 6:36am
Xeno Storm V 2.0
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 4790k (delidded) GIGABYTE|GA-Z87X-D3H EVGA GTX 980 SC EVGA GTX 980 SC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
4x4GB GSKILL @ 2133MHz WD 1002FAEX KINGSTON V300 120GB SSD SanDisk Ultra Plus 128GB SSD 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
WD Green 500GB Cryorig R1 Ultimate Windows 10 Enterprise Acer XB270HU Predator 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K95 RGB MX Brown Switches Corsair AX850 Phantecs Enthoo Pro M SE Corsair M65 
Mouse PadAudio
Corsair Vengeance MM200 XL Logitech X230 2.1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 7200U Dell Intel HD 8GB LPDDR3 1866MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
M.2 128GB Windows 10 13.3" FHD AG 
  hide details  
Reply
Xeno Storm V 2.0
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 4790k (delidded) GIGABYTE|GA-Z87X-D3H EVGA GTX 980 SC EVGA GTX 980 SC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
4x4GB GSKILL @ 2133MHz WD 1002FAEX KINGSTON V300 120GB SSD SanDisk Ultra Plus 128GB SSD 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
WD Green 500GB Cryorig R1 Ultimate Windows 10 Enterprise Acer XB270HU Predator 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K95 RGB MX Brown Switches Corsair AX850 Phantecs Enthoo Pro M SE Corsair M65 
Mouse PadAudio
Corsair Vengeance MM200 XL Logitech X230 2.1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 7200U Dell Intel HD 8GB LPDDR3 1866MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
M.2 128GB Windows 10 13.3" FHD AG 
  hide details  
Reply
post #193 of 383
Good points from an RSI poster
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/2180481/#Comment_2180481



1) This isn't a partnership in any shape or form, this is a full acquisition. This means Facebook now owns the Rift. It's not the Oculus Rift, it's going to be whatever Facebook rebrands it as. And yes, they will rebrand it. This means that control of development is in the hands of Facebook, and not Palmer.

2) The focus of the device is now based on what Facebook and its shareholders will bring about the best return. This means if their market studies find people are "ok" with 720p, they will do it. If they want this to be a "VR skype" type device, they will focus more on connectivity and design over things such as universal compatibility or low latency. High-end gamers are not Facebook's core demographic, nor are they the audience they want to market the Rift to. As stated in the press release and investor call-in, they want this to be available to the masses. As such, the device will not be geared to gaming performance. Simple things like chaning the FOV is not necessary anymore.

3) People who pledged on the kickstarter feel shafted, that it goes against what kickstarter stands for. Example being Star Citizen, which has shown that if a product is desired it does not need to have corporate conglomorate support. That the PEOPLE, the consumers, can be the voice and support the company. It would be as if CIG was sold to EA right after the DFM. It's the SAME PRINCIPLE. Palmer said not a few weeks ago they would not sell out, they would not fold under the intrests of companies who had approached them. He essentially lied to all the backers.

4) This hurts kickstarter as a whole, as people will be hesitant to spend money and fund something that might get sold. Many of the backers feel that their money was just to value the company enough to cash out. Their voices mean absolutely nothing. The only voices that matter to the Oculus team now are the ones from Facebook shareholders. The backers who got the thing off the ground have been cast aside.

There's so much more to this, and the effects on how it'll change people's perceptions towards kickstarter and crowd funded development is still yet to be seen but I assure you this has done a lot more damage than you seem to think.
post #194 of 383
This can only be good for us. Look how far Oculus came with just crowdsourcing and industry buzz. Imagine what they will do with Facebook money, publicity, and r&d behind them. Say what you will about Zuckerberg, but he's a force to be reckoned with. The brain that defined social networking is about to revolutionize gaming. Just yesterday, basically nobody outside the tech/gaming world knew what Oculus was, now this morning I get to work and it's being talked about on MSNBC and the Analysts in my office (I work at an Investment Bank) are all talking about it.

Moreover, he's right -- Facebook has an established history of buying companies based on the acquired company's vision and then not interfering in development. Facebook's interest is in keeping their reach deep into the population, not in hindering gaming technology development. Why would they spend $2B on a company only to get in the way of that investment? Oculus isn't a competitor FB needed to squash, it's just something they see becoming a big success in the future, and they want a piece of that action.

More money and more press only puts Oculus front & center now -- all the better for those of us who have been following its development anxiously for years.
Edited by chrisnyc75 - 3/26/14 at 6:48am
post #195 of 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajer29 View Post

Here are a lot of Palmer Q&As taken from Reddit: http://imgur.com/a/ftOpP

I'm not going to lie. His responses sound great, but it's the fact that they are OWNED by FB now that really gets to me. FB can just flip a switch one day and kill all Oculus development or even worse, can Palmer and use Oculus as a advertising tool and not a VR gaming HW that it was intended to be.

Palmer says everything will be fine, but he no longer has the control he once had. Who's to say he even has any power over development anymore? mad.gif

I probably sound hysterical, but I won't take anything as fact until I see the finished product and it's evident that Zuckerberg steps back and lets the dev team do their thing.

Those responses sound great, and more importantly FB will have no good reason to shut down VR, at least not for the next few years, which is all we need. They invested $2B in what could be a huge cash-cow in a few years and they want the front seat.

 

If they can truly get everything they want into CV1 and custom parts, then everyone will be calling this one of the best things that happened to Oculus. What we're (me included) doing now is a typical knee-jerk reaction to something which we really don't know enough about. But some of the people on that team, I trust they didn't sell out their dream for money.

 

Edit: Is there anything hardware-wise that makes the Rift better specifically for games as opposed to VR in general? As far as I can see it's all about increasing immersion, which FB would need to do to sell it anyway, and Oculus will make sure the software side for games comes through.


Edited by Moragg - 3/26/14 at 6:48am
post #196 of 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by skupples View Post

doh.gif
How exactly does that work? Seems you have a PHD in Businomiconicons, so please enlighten us as to how Zucker would ninja past the team to inject dirty firmware into the device.

Really... All Zucker needs is for them to stick around just long enough to get one or two models out,.

All the kiddies will want to plug this into their PS4/XB1.


This stuff was even on mainstream, He got CIA seed money to start facebook, thats why they always pump his company on the finalncial networks with a horrable p & e ratio. People give all there private info for free and he and team uses it for nafarious purposes



http://www.zdnet.com/blog/howlett/facebook-and-the-cia/286


and no i do not have a Phd, i did not think i needed one to post on overclock.net
INA
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 4960x RAMPAGE IV EXTREME 1080Ti Poseidon 1080Ti Poseidon 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
G.Skill F3-12800CL10-8GBXL Sandisk SSD DVD WRITER BLU-RAY WRITER 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
CUSTOM LOOP VISTA 64 ULTIMATE windows 10 pro Philips BDM4065UC 40" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK SEASONIC SS-850KM ACTIVE PFC F3 RAVEN 03 Utech Smart laser mouse 
Mouse PadAudioOther
CYBER SNIPA TRACER ONBOARD Scythe Kama Rack 5.25" Bay Multi Media / Dual 2... 
  hide details  
Reply
INA
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 4960x RAMPAGE IV EXTREME 1080Ti Poseidon 1080Ti Poseidon 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
G.Skill F3-12800CL10-8GBXL Sandisk SSD DVD WRITER BLU-RAY WRITER 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
CUSTOM LOOP VISTA 64 ULTIMATE windows 10 pro Philips BDM4065UC 40" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK SEASONIC SS-850KM ACTIVE PFC F3 RAVEN 03 Utech Smart laser mouse 
Mouse PadAudioOther
CYBER SNIPA TRACER ONBOARD Scythe Kama Rack 5.25" Bay Multi Media / Dual 2... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #197 of 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moragg View Post

Those responses sound great, and more importantly FB will have no good reason to shut down VR, at least not for the next few years, which is all we need. They invested $2B in what could be a huge cash-cow in a few years and they want the front seat.

If they can truly get everything they want into CV1 and custom parts, then everyone will be calling this one of the best things that happened to Oculus. What we're (me included) doing now is a typical knee-jerk reaction to something which we really don't know enough about. But some of the people on that team, I trust they didn't sell out their dream for money.

I can only hope what you're saying can be seen as fact some day. People are now talking about FB being able to track meta data as well as your retinal "finger print". This may be over the top, but I'm not looking past it. At this point it's becoming more of threat to my personal information than anything else. Again, I want to believe, but I can't say until we see the outcome in a few years. I can be a supporter, but I need to see some proof of progress on the ideas Palmer originally based Oculus Rift on.
Xeno Storm V 2.0
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 4790k (delidded) GIGABYTE|GA-Z87X-D3H EVGA GTX 980 SC EVGA GTX 980 SC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
4x4GB GSKILL @ 2133MHz WD 1002FAEX KINGSTON V300 120GB SSD SanDisk Ultra Plus 128GB SSD 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
WD Green 500GB Cryorig R1 Ultimate Windows 10 Enterprise Acer XB270HU Predator 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K95 RGB MX Brown Switches Corsair AX850 Phantecs Enthoo Pro M SE Corsair M65 
Mouse PadAudio
Corsair Vengeance MM200 XL Logitech X230 2.1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 7200U Dell Intel HD 8GB LPDDR3 1866MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
M.2 128GB Windows 10 13.3" FHD AG 
  hide details  
Reply
Xeno Storm V 2.0
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 4790k (delidded) GIGABYTE|GA-Z87X-D3H EVGA GTX 980 SC EVGA GTX 980 SC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
4x4GB GSKILL @ 2133MHz WD 1002FAEX KINGSTON V300 120GB SSD SanDisk Ultra Plus 128GB SSD 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
WD Green 500GB Cryorig R1 Ultimate Windows 10 Enterprise Acer XB270HU Predator 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K95 RGB MX Brown Switches Corsair AX850 Phantecs Enthoo Pro M SE Corsair M65 
Mouse PadAudio
Corsair Vengeance MM200 XL Logitech X230 2.1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 7200U Dell Intel HD 8GB LPDDR3 1866MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
M.2 128GB Windows 10 13.3" FHD AG 
  hide details  
Reply
post #198 of 383
I am skeptical about this but from what Facebook said they want to do, could be nice.
post #199 of 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnyc75 View Post

This can only be good for us. Look how far Oculus came with just crowdsourcing and industry buzz. Imagine what they will do with Facebook money, publicity, and r&d behind them. Say what you will about Zuckerberg, but he's a force to be reckoned with. The brain that defined social networking is about to revolutionize gaming. Just yesterday, basically nobody outside the tech/gaming world knew what Oculus was, now this morning I get to work and it's being talked about on MSNBC and the Analysts in my office (I work at an Investment Bank) are all talking about it.

Moreover, he's right -- Facebook has an established history of buying companies based on the acquired company's vision and then not interfering in development. Facebook's interest is in keeping their reach deep into the population, not in hindering gaming technology development. Why would they spend $2B on a company only to get in the way of that investment? Oculus isn't a competitor FB needed to squash, it's just something they see becoming a big success in the future, and they want a piece of that action.

More money and more press only puts Oculus front & center now -- all the better for those of us who have been following its development anxiously for years.

This is what I've been trying to stress. But gamers right now are in a panic over the situation and refuse to calm down for 10 minutes and grasp the concept. There currently is zero reason to buy OR to crush it, Facebook has nothing to gain by doing that. Facebook also has nothing to gain by taking a product that's very well received AS IS and making radical changes. That would only lead to even more consumer backlash.

From my perspective is facebook seen a very wise investment. Not just in OR, but in VR tech as a whole. They see that if implamented correctly they can bring users to almost anywhere, and that level of emersion is what they are aiming for. Not to mention the other business aspects, military use, Medical use, teaching aids, scientific abilities (review Mars rover footage in the rift anyone?).

Let's not forget that OR will be able to receive all the official love it needs. They no longer need to use scraps from the cellphone industry. They can order and buy custom screens to work the way they want them to, they can buy the sensors they really need, they can hire the manufacturing teams they could use the best, and finally they now have enough money to hire any addtional staff they need to complete this project.

Facebook will be taking a back seat, I won't be suprised if OR recieved 200-400 million in R&D funds once the ink dries. I can see why people are scared, but we gotta look past those and be realistic.
post #200 of 383
"... and that is the day that cowed funding died..."
The end of the story I'll be telling my kid in a couple years.
Angry Monster
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 4770K MSI Z87 G45 HIS R9 290 G-skill Ripjaws 4x4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Black 640GB Sata III LG DVD RW Corsair H70 W8.1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
42" Sharp Aquos K800 EW 650W Antek 900 
MouseAudio
R.A.T. 9 Soundblaster xi-fi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
Angry Monster
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 4770K MSI Z87 G45 HIS R9 290 G-skill Ripjaws 4x4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Black 640GB Sata III LG DVD RW Corsair H70 W8.1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
42" Sharp Aquos K800 EW 650W Antek 900 
MouseAudio
R.A.T. 9 Soundblaster xi-fi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [WSJ] Facebook to Acquire Oculus