Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › I am making my dad a Mini ITX build
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I am making my dad a Mini ITX build

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
My dad's Dell Inspiron is on my last nerve. I had to replace the HDD and the PSU all within a month after the warranty ended. So I am building him one instead now. No more of those!!!

So I need your guys' help because I have never built Mini ITX before and it has been a while since I built an Intel build. I am so used to building a fast and powerful PC and building a budget PC for my dad is actually a challenge. I don't want to spend more than I have to while at the same time getting quality components. So I will just go through my plans and you guys can just help me where you think I need help.

I was going to go the AMD route but it seems that the Mini ITX market favors Intel a lot more. So I have a Mini ITX LGA 1150 motherboard here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130740

I like this one because it is MSI, it is inexpensive, and it has a 3 year warranty. I like the VGA output on the back and this will connect well to his 17" monitor. I know it only has 5 reviews but I assume this is because not many people build Mini ITX PCs. I am going Mini ITX for my dad because he is disabled and he sits on the floor in his room on his PC doing dad stuff (Browsing the politics sites to see which politician hates America this week, doing home finances on Excel, and maybe writing some stuff on Word) and since he sits on the floor and doesn't need hardly any computing power, I figure Mini ITX is better for him to handle. I have a Cooler Master case picked out that has an intake slot for a fan and a rear exhaust like normal. It has a bottom mounted PSU which means I will put the case on top of a small plank of wood so as not to put it right on top of carpet because we all know that is not wise. I have a 400W PSU picked out from Cooler Master. It is $50 and I have never bought any PSU below $70 so I do not know what a quality 400W PSU costs, but it is Cooler Master so I think I am good there. Here it is:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171070

He has an old HDD that I might use but since it has very important files on it I might just keep the Dell in the basement and keep the HDD in it in case I ever need to get an important file off there. I am thinking of getting a WD or Seagate 250GB HDD. I think that size is perfect for him. I am going to connect it to my Synology Diskstation that has a 1 TB HDD in it so storage space is not an issue here. I do not know what RAM to get him. I want to get him 4GB of regular old RAM that has decent speeds. But for this build the standard 1600 speed is probably going to be unnecessarily fast and I do not want to pay the price for fast RAM. I was thinking this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231189

This is only $45 and it will work fine for his needs.

As for the CPU, this is where I am stuck. I am not up to date on the Intel sockets and since the motherboard is LGA 1150, I do not want to get the wrong socket CPU. I searched for LGA 1150 CPUs on Newegg but the search results are not that great. I saw some Celerons that were inexpensive and they had Intel HD graphics on them, but do all newer Intel CPUs have integrated graphics on them? What sub $60 CPU would you get him? If you think $60 is too cheap for a CPU then if possible try to see if you can help me find one maybe in the $70 range if that's ok.

Thanks for your guys' help. If there is any component I am missing then just remind me. I think I have all of the stuff picked out. I am going to use Windows 8 because I have an upgrade copy and I have a full copy of Windows 7. I used the license of Windows 7 but I think I can put an unregistered copy of 7 on there and then just put 8 on there and activate that. Someone said I could do this but I do not know if that is possible.

EDIT: How about this CPU?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116950
Edited by Thready - 3/26/14 at 9:45am
Zen
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-6600k Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI RX 480 4GB 24 GB DDR4 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 evo OCZ Vertex 4 Crucial MX 500 256GB WD Black 3 TB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate 1 TB H60 Windows 10 Asus mx27a 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
hp 2009 m Corsair MR Brown Antec Earthwatts 650 Razer Naga 
Audio
Soundblaster Omni 
  hide details  
Reply
Zen
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-6600k Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI RX 480 4GB 24 GB DDR4 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 evo OCZ Vertex 4 Crucial MX 500 256GB WD Black 3 TB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate 1 TB H60 Windows 10 Asus mx27a 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
hp 2009 m Corsair MR Brown Antec Earthwatts 650 Razer Naga 
Audio
Soundblaster Omni 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thready View Post

My dad's Dell Inspiron is on my last nerve. I had to replace the HDD and the PSU all within a month after the warranty ended. So I am building him one instead now. No more of those!!!

So I need your guys' help because I have never built Mini ITX before and it has been a while since I built an Intel build. I am so used to building a fast and powerful PC and building a budget PC for my dad is actually a challenge. I don't want to spend more than I have to while at the same time getting quality components. So I will just go through my plans and you guys can just help me where you think I need help.

I was going to go the AMD route but it seems that the Mini ITX market favors Intel a lot more. So I have a Mini ITX LGA 1150 motherboard here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130740

I like this one because it is MSI, it is inexpensive, and it has a 3 year warranty. I like the VGA output on the back and this will connect well to his 17" monitor. I know it only has 5 reviews but I assume this is because not many people build Mini ITX PCs. I am going Mini ITX for my dad because he is disabled and he sits on the floor in his room on his PC doing dad stuff (Browsing the politics sites to see which politician hates America this week, doing home finances on Excel, and maybe writing some stuff on Word) and since he sits on the floor and doesn't need hardly any computing power, I figure Mini ITX is better for him to handle. I have a Cooler Master case picked out that has an intake slot for a fan and a rear exhaust like normal. It has a bottom mounted PSU which means I will put the case on top of a small plank of wood so as not to put it right on top of carpet because we all know that is not wise. I have a 400W PSU picked out from Cooler Master. It is $50 and I have never bought any PSU below $70 so I do not know what a quality 400W PSU costs, but it is Cooler Master so I think I am good there. Here it is:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171070

He has an old HDD that I might use but since it has very important files on it I might just keep the Dell in the basement and keep the HDD in it in case I ever need to get an important file off there. I am thinking of getting a WD or Seagate 250GB HDD. I think that size is perfect for him. I am going to connect it to my Synology Diskstation that has a 1 TB HDD in it so storage space is not an issue here. I do not know what RAM to get him. I want to get him 4GB of regular old RAM that has decent speeds. But for this build the standard 1600 speed is probably going to be unnecessarily fast and I do not want to pay the price for fast RAM. I was thinking this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231189

This is only $45 and it will work fine for his needs.

As for the CPU, this is where I am stuck. I am not up to date on the Intel sockets and since the motherboard is LGA 1150, I do not want to get the wrong socket CPU. I searched for LGA 1150 CPUs on Newegg but the search results are not that great. I saw some Celerons that were inexpensive and they had Intel HD graphics on them, but do all newer Intel CPUs have integrated graphics on them? What sub $60 CPU would you get him? If you think $60 is too cheap for a CPU then if possible try to see if you can help me find one maybe in the $70 range if that's ok.

Thanks for your guys' help. If there is any component I am missing then just remind me. I think I have all of the stuff picked out. I am going to use Windows 8 because I have an upgrade copy and I have a full copy of Windows 7. I used the license of Windows 7 but I think I can put an unregistered copy of 7 on there and then just put 8 on there and activate that. Someone said I could do this but I do not know if that is possible.

EDIT: How about this CPU?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116950
What exactly is it used for? Also how small do you want this exactly? A short mid tower or a full-on ITX?
*EDIT*
Or an HTPC size?
Black Jarvis V1.9
(21 items)
 
Mazdaspeed6
(18 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Jarvis V1.9
(21 items)
 
Mazdaspeed6
(18 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 18
Seasonic G 360 watts is what you should go for
Seravee
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I7 6850K Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo WD Green WD60EZRX  WD Red WD80EFZX 8TB  Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
LG CH12NS30 x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX Noctua NH-D15S Windows 7 64 Bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus PG279Q LG 49UH750V 4K LED TV Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Roccat Kone EMP Roccat Sense Metor Sennheiser HD 598 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Onkyo TX NR646  Harman Kardon HKTS 60 Dali Opticon Vokal x2 Dali Opticon 2 
AudioOtherOther
x2 Dali Opticon 1 CableMod E series PSU cable set CableMod LED Strips 
  hide details  
Reply
Seravee
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I7 6850K Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo WD Green WD60EZRX  WD Red WD80EFZX 8TB  Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
LG CH12NS30 x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX Noctua NH-D15S Windows 7 64 Bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus PG279Q LG 49UH750V 4K LED TV Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Roccat Kone EMP Roccat Sense Metor Sennheiser HD 598 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Onkyo TX NR646  Harman Kardon HKTS 60 Dali Opticon Vokal x2 Dali Opticon 2 
AudioOtherOther
x2 Dali Opticon 1 CableMod E series PSU cable set CableMod LED Strips 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

Seasonic G 360 watts is what you should go for
I dont think he needs anything that hardcore shilka, a Corsair CX series would due to this type of build. Since there isnt even a GPU.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($118.93 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI H87M-E35 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($68.79 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 380W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Mac Mall)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $333.68
That will get him what he needs. I'm assuming you can chop the HDD out of the current computer.
Black Jarvis V1.9
(21 items)
 
Mazdaspeed6
(18 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Jarvis V1.9
(21 items)
 
Mazdaspeed6
(18 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHDadditiv View Post

I dont think he needs anything that hardcore shilka, a Corsair CX series would due to this type of build. Since there isnt even a GPU.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($118.93 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI H87M-E35 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($68.79 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 380W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Mac Mall)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $333.68
That will get him what he needs. I'm assuming you can chop the HDD out of the current computer.

Cant recall any other 350 watts units you can find in the US

The Earthwatts Green is decent so if thats cheaper thats fine
Seravee
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I7 6850K Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo WD Green WD60EZRX  WD Red WD80EFZX 8TB  Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
LG CH12NS30 x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX Noctua NH-D15S Windows 7 64 Bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus PG279Q LG 49UH750V 4K LED TV Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Roccat Kone EMP Roccat Sense Metor Sennheiser HD 598 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Onkyo TX NR646  Harman Kardon HKTS 60 Dali Opticon Vokal x2 Dali Opticon 2 
AudioOtherOther
x2 Dali Opticon 1 CableMod E series PSU cable set CableMod LED Strips 
  hide details  
Reply
Seravee
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I7 6850K Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo WD Green WD60EZRX  WD Red WD80EFZX 8TB  Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
LG CH12NS30 x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX Noctua NH-D15S Windows 7 64 Bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus PG279Q LG 49UH750V 4K LED TV Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Roccat Kone EMP Roccat Sense Metor Sennheiser HD 598 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Onkyo TX NR646  Harman Kardon HKTS 60 Dali Opticon Vokal x2 Dali Opticon 2 
AudioOtherOther
x2 Dali Opticon 1 CableMod E series PSU cable set CableMod LED Strips 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

Cant recall any other 350 watts units you can find in the US

THe Earthwatts Green is decent so if thats cheaper thats fine
Why does he need a 350W unit? I mean sure it means he uses less power, but on the other hand if you gotta spend more to get it why bother? You could drop a GTX 750ti into the rig I proposed above and game with it lol.
Black Jarvis V1.9
(21 items)
 
Mazdaspeed6
(18 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Jarvis V1.9
(21 items)
 
Mazdaspeed6
(18 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 18
That seems like a very basic system. If CPU frequency is not a primary concern you could even try getting one of those ultra low power NUCs (ie: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856102057).

Of course you'll need a 2.5" drive and smaller ram dimms, but it's very convenient and portable. Also, it can be placed behind the monitor if the monitor has VESA support.

There are a few models with weaker processors that cost cheaper (even as low as 150$) but you might lose the sata and be forced to get an msata drive.

Of course in terms of upgrade-ability and expandability you'll be very limited... but if you don't plan those then it's not an issue.

Edit: Original link accidentally had model without 2.5" drive support. It's fixed now.
Edited by PsyM4n - 3/26/14 at 10:24am
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyM4n View Post

That seems like a very basic system. If CPU frequency is not a primary concern you could even try getting one of those ultra low power NUCs (ie: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856102053).

Of course you'll need a 2.5" drive and smaller ram dimms, but it's very convenient and portable. Also, it can be placed behind the monitor if the monitor has VESA support.

There are a few models with weaker processors that cost cheaper (even as low as 150$) but you might lose the sata and be forced to get an msata drive.

Of course in terms of upgrade-ability and expandability you'll be very limited... but if you don't plan those then it's not an issue.
I see no problem with this whatsoever!
Black Jarvis V1.9
(21 items)
 
Mazdaspeed6
(18 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Jarvis V1.9
(21 items)
 
Mazdaspeed6
(18 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHDadditiv View Post

I dont think he needs anything that hardcore shilka, a Corsair CX series would due to this type of build. Since there isnt even a GPU.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($118.93 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI H87M-E35 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($68.79 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 380W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Mac Mall)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $333.68
That will get him what he needs. I'm assuming you can chop the HDD out of the current computer.

I am not going to spend more than $70 on a CPU for him. He doesn't need an optical drive. I like that PSU because Antec makes high quality stuff. I have already decided on the case because I want it to me HTPC size, so sorry that I wasn't probably clear enough. My fault. But I like the memory you picked and the PSU.
Zen
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-6600k Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI RX 480 4GB 24 GB DDR4 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 evo OCZ Vertex 4 Crucial MX 500 256GB WD Black 3 TB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate 1 TB H60 Windows 10 Asus mx27a 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
hp 2009 m Corsair MR Brown Antec Earthwatts 650 Razer Naga 
Audio
Soundblaster Omni 
  hide details  
Reply
Zen
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-6600k Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI RX 480 4GB 24 GB DDR4 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 evo OCZ Vertex 4 Crucial MX 500 256GB WD Black 3 TB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate 1 TB H60 Windows 10 Asus mx27a 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
hp 2009 m Corsair MR Brown Antec Earthwatts 650 Razer Naga 
Audio
Soundblaster Omni 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thready View Post

I am not going to spend more than $70 on a CPU for him. He doesn't need an optical drive. I like that PSU because Antec makes high quality stuff. I have already decided on the case because I want it to me HTPC size, so sorry that I wasn't probably clear enough. My fault. But I like the memory you picked and the PSU.
But you'll spend $80 on the motherboard? Honestly, even for just browsing and such at work, I feel that the i3 isn't quite enough, thats why I suggested it. Not too expensive, but its super fast for the money.
Black Jarvis V1.9
(21 items)
 
Mazdaspeed6
(18 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Jarvis V1.9
(21 items)
 
Mazdaspeed6
(18 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › I am making my dad a Mini ITX build