Overclock.net › Forums › General Hardware › General Processor Discussions › UPGRADE TIME!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

UPGRADE TIME!!!

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
Hey OCN. I think its time for an upgrade. I have the behemoth of a case (HAF X) and I wanna go SFF. Not necessarily ITX, but def want a smaller case that i can still house my H100 p/p. Also want to upgrade processor/ Mobo. I'm not sure how well the newer intel processors OC so I thought id get an idea from you all, before i go dropping money only to be lack luster. thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
post #2 of 8

The only thing that I would upgrade is the video card, and I'd wait for Maxwell or Pirate Islands first. After that, then I would save up for a CPU/motherboard/memory upgrade. The reason why I included memory is that I would upgrade to 16 GB for "future proofing".

 

The reason why I wouldn't upgrade the CPU/motherboard/memory right now is the 2500K at 4.5 GHz is still quite a force to be reckoned with and should still be quite good for the next year or two.

It's a computer!
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (OS) 3 TB Toshiba P300 (storage) Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate Basic, but premium round 
AudioAudio
X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (OS) 3 TB Toshiba P300 (storage) Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate Basic, but premium round 
AudioAudio
X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

The only thing that I would upgrade is the video card, and I'd wait for Maxwell or Pirate Islands first. After that, then I would save up for a CPU/motherboard/memory upgrade. The reason why I included memory is that I would upgrade to 16 GB for "future proofing".

The reason why I wouldn't upgrade the CPU/motherboard/memory right now is the 2500K at 4.5 GHz is still quite a force to be reckoned with and should still be quite good for the next year or two.

Sounds reasonable. I really just want to go SFF. Chances are my 2500k and mobo will go to my brother and ill get a micro ATX board and if I'm gonna get a new mobo. I might as well get newer CPU. That's just my train of thought. thumb.gif
post #4 of 8
Now may not be the best time for upgrades, as there is quite a bit slated to come out later this year. Maxwell, Haswell-E, maybe Broadwell, and whatever AMD is up to. The 2500K is still relevant with gains from Haswell only being something like 10-20% at the same clocks, and Haswell is a massive silicon lottery with thermal issues to boot. It really would not be worth the $300+ for a new CPU and motherboard. You would be better off waiting until at least Haswell-E, and maybe Broadwell.

GPUs are pretty much in the same boat. Your 680 is good enough that you should be able to push high settings on most games at 1080, with Maxwell (and maybe 20nm) coming in the not-so-distant future.

As for a case, you would have to give us a bit more info on what you are looking for. What is the priority? Size, silence, airflow? If you are after a mid case, the NZXT H440, Corsair Obsidian series, and Fractal Design R4 are all very popular cases around here.
post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkston View Post

Now may not be the best time for upgrades, as there is quite a bit slated to come out later this year. Maxwell, Haswell-E, maybe Broadwell, and whatever AMD is up to. The 2500K is still relevant with gains from Haswell only being something like 10-20% at the same clocks, and Haswell is a massive silicon lottery with thermal issues to boot. It really would not be worth the $300+ for a new CPU and motherboard. You would be better off waiting until at least Haswell-E, and maybe Broadwell.

GPUs are pretty much in the same boat. Your 680 is good enough that you should be able to push high settings on most games at 1080, with Maxwell (and maybe 20nm) coming in the not-so-distant future.

As for a case, you would have to give us a bit more info on what you are looking for. What is the priority? Size, silence, airflow? If you are after a mid case, the NZXT H440, Corsair Obsidian series, and Fractal Design R4 are all very popular cases around here.

I'm looking for something like the Bitfenix Prodigy, or the HAF XB, or Corsair Cube, or something still small with handles. Handles arent exactly a must. I just something a little more LAN friendly. HAF X is not LAN Friendly XD.
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andstraus View Post

I'm looking for something like the Bitfenix Prodigy, or the HAF XB, or Corsair Cube, or something still small with handles. Handles arent exactly a must. I just something a little more LAN friendly. HAF X is not LAN Friendly XD.

The problem is going to be your H100. Very few SFF cases will fit 140mm fans/radiators, let alone a 280. If you want to reuse that cooler, you might be stuck with a mid tower.
post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 
hmmm your ideals conflict with those of Yorkston... Explain. tongue.gif
post #8 of 8
What TwoCables said, and for the case I absolutely LOVE my TJ08-E. I'm 5.5', and I can carry it single-handedly with ease. I also enjoy the Bitfenix Prodigy, Corsair Obsidian 250D, Fractal Node 304, 350D, and Arc Mini. There is such a wide selection of cases right now, so it might be a tough choice.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Processor Discussions
Overclock.net › Forums › General Hardware › General Processor Discussions › UPGRADE TIME!!!