Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Linux, Unix › Need help with ubuntu update for ubuntu 12.04 lts[Solved]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need help with ubuntu update for ubuntu 12.04 lts[Solved] - Page 3

post #21 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet2 View Post

OK, DJ, since you seem ready to drop Ubuntu for a usable alternative and since you are a gamer and one who knows Steam, I'm going to suggest you look at SolydXK since it forked from Mint (a Ubuntu derivative) when they dropped KDE. SolydK is KDE and SolydX is Xfce and both of them come with both Steam and PlayOnLinux installed by default and very well integrated. 3rd party drivers are a breeze as you get a greeter window that links you to drivers and the SolydXK community and other helpful resources. If you haven't used PlayOnLinux it is very good. It can create virtual drives so that it is possible to have many versions of wine all on the same box/distro. Some games seem to work better with some earlier wine versions so this is very useful. It also has the most important regedit keys for gamers in a gui with radio buttons and drop-down selections. Slick.

It also by default uses Debian repositories so the amount of software is voluminous. Above all it is extremely stable w/o having to also be as old as Debian Stable... and, it's fast. It's impossible to know for certain if this is your "dream distro" but it is quite possible and well worth a look. Just google "SolydXK" so you get not only the home site but also reviews and videos. Even if you fix Ubuntu it might be worthwhile to add a partition for SolydXK.

I am very familiar with mint as that was my favorite distro, however if the steamos session works well on this distro as well as all things you mentioned i am going to love this even more. If not i will dualboot between wheezy and solydxk i'm just not sure if i ant to go kde(great customizing and tweaking capabilities) or xfce(excellent performance). Any recommendations as i haven't used this distro yet?

throttlemeister
(30 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
i7-4790k gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming G1 WIFI-BK corsair vengeance 2x8 1866Mhz seagate barracuda 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
seagate barracuda  seagate barracuda seagate barracuda seagate barracuda 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Crucial M500 SSD random dvd multirecorder / cd drive fast sata 6... ex240 rad xspc ax240 kit 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
3 140mm fans plus 6 120mm fans Arctic Cooling MX4 4g Thermal Paste XSPC EX360 crossflow windows 8.1 pro 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
ZorinOS Mac Os X Yosemite Monoprice MPCP28UHD logitech g510s 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
evga supernova 1300 g2 Corsair 900D logitech g500s none  
AudioAudioAudioOther
Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker w/ su... diamond xtreme sound XS71U Logitech H390 Headset xbox 360 wireless 
OtherOther
logitech c110 webcam logitech driving force gt 
  hide details  
Reply
throttlemeister
(30 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
i7-4790k gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming G1 WIFI-BK corsair vengeance 2x8 1866Mhz seagate barracuda 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
seagate barracuda  seagate barracuda seagate barracuda seagate barracuda 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Crucial M500 SSD random dvd multirecorder / cd drive fast sata 6... ex240 rad xspc ax240 kit 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
3 140mm fans plus 6 120mm fans Arctic Cooling MX4 4g Thermal Paste XSPC EX360 crossflow windows 8.1 pro 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
ZorinOS Mac Os X Yosemite Monoprice MPCP28UHD logitech g510s 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
evga supernova 1300 g2 Corsair 900D logitech g500s none  
AudioAudioAudioOther
Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker w/ su... diamond xtreme sound XS71U Logitech H390 Headset xbox 360 wireless 
OtherOther
logitech c110 webcam logitech driving force gt 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 59
mint is ubuntu is debian. i don't know what you're talking about 'steamos session', it's simply an application just like on windows.

to resolve your dependency issue readup on the ubuntu link i posted before. if you've got nothing of value on the harddrive just reinstall with a more recent version of ubuntu instead of deprecated ancient 2.6 kernel.

lubuntu and xubuntu are excellent for lower performance pcs, but it really doesn't matter since you can install whatever you want once ubuntu/debian/linux flavor of the month is installed.
Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get update

Edited by l0max - 3/27/14 at 12:14am
More Fans
(9 items)
 
x100e (RIP)
(7 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Athlon Neo MV-40 ATI Radeon HD3200 4GB Patriot DDR2 OCZ Vertex 3 Slim 120GB 
OSMonitorMouse
Crunchbang LG Green Screen Trackpoint 
  hide details  
Reply
More Fans
(9 items)
 
x100e (RIP)
(7 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Athlon Neo MV-40 ATI Radeon HD3200 4GB Patriot DDR2 OCZ Vertex 3 Slim 120GB 
OSMonitorMouse
Crunchbang LG Green Screen Trackpoint 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by l0max View Post

mint is ubuntu is debian. i don't know what you're talking about 'steamos session', it's simply an application just like on windows.

to resolve your dependency issue readup on the ubuntu link i posted before. if you've got nothing of value on the harddrive just reinstall with a more recent version of ubuntu instead of deprecated ancient 2.6 kernel.

lubuntu and xubuntu are excellent for lower performance pcs, but it really doesn't matter since you can install whatever you want once ubuntu/debian/linux flavor of the month is installed.
Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get update


this isn't a lower performance pc and i know mint is debian but the steamos session is not just the app its a full session where it replaces the os with its own os. It took a lot of time and patience figuring out which packages were compatible as the drivers and all would kill ubuntu with one wrong step. hell lol i even installed the packages got them working and then sli slaughtered the os and i had to start from scratch again. i dont just want big picture mode for clarification i actually want to be able to choose the session at login. As for ubuntu i am done with that os as it took too much time and work to get it the way i wanted it as we first start with stripping the os of worthless crap and then adding the stuff i wanted and that can kill the os as well. I really like this solydk version it is very lightweight and fast for a kde version it feels like a xfce version so i might go with it and this might replace mint as my favorite. I am in the live cd testing everything as we speak and even the sound has better quality than ubuntu so i am definitely ditching ubuntu.

throttlemeister
(30 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
i7-4790k gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming G1 WIFI-BK corsair vengeance 2x8 1866Mhz seagate barracuda 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
seagate barracuda  seagate barracuda seagate barracuda seagate barracuda 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Crucial M500 SSD random dvd multirecorder / cd drive fast sata 6... ex240 rad xspc ax240 kit 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
3 140mm fans plus 6 120mm fans Arctic Cooling MX4 4g Thermal Paste XSPC EX360 crossflow windows 8.1 pro 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
ZorinOS Mac Os X Yosemite Monoprice MPCP28UHD logitech g510s 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
evga supernova 1300 g2 Corsair 900D logitech g500s none  
AudioAudioAudioOther
Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker w/ su... diamond xtreme sound XS71U Logitech H390 Headset xbox 360 wireless 
OtherOther
logitech c110 webcam logitech driving force gt 
  hide details  
Reply
throttlemeister
(30 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
i7-4790k gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming G1 WIFI-BK corsair vengeance 2x8 1866Mhz seagate barracuda 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
seagate barracuda  seagate barracuda seagate barracuda seagate barracuda 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Crucial M500 SSD random dvd multirecorder / cd drive fast sata 6... ex240 rad xspc ax240 kit 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
3 140mm fans plus 6 120mm fans Arctic Cooling MX4 4g Thermal Paste XSPC EX360 crossflow windows 8.1 pro 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
ZorinOS Mac Os X Yosemite Monoprice MPCP28UHD logitech g510s 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
evga supernova 1300 g2 Corsair 900D logitech g500s none  
AudioAudioAudioOther
Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker w/ su... diamond xtreme sound XS71U Logitech H390 Headset xbox 360 wireless 
OtherOther
logitech c110 webcam logitech driving force gt 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 59
Can I just point out than Debian != Ubuntu. Ubuntu is based on Debian - they take a cut from Debian Testing at the very start of their release cycle, then patch the hell out of it to get it working the way they want it to. It means, that a package compiled for Debian, won't necessarily work for Ubuntu. There's a decent chance it will, it'll all depend of whether there are patches in it or a dependency that aren't compatible under Ubuntu.

OP - at this point, your OS is pretty busted. A re-install is the easiest way, and if you're thinking of moving to Debian, now is a great time to do it. I don't know too much about these Debian-based distros like SoldyK or Crunchbang, but I don't see the problem with going pure Debian. That said, I don't see the appeal of Debian over Linux Mint either, but each to their own. I wouldn't recommend LMDE, but regular Linux Mint has everything that Debian & Ubuntu has, as far as I am concerned. Steam works perfectly on Mint, and it's a nice OS as well!

Edit: If you're fed up with bloat, try Peppermint. It's real nice and light, and stripped back so you add in the packages you actually want. Like all these Ubuntu-based distros, you're best off waiting a couple of months, and then installing the next LTS version (Mint 17, or Peppermint 5). Of course, your rig is broken now, but keep it in mind that Ubuntu 14.04 LTS is due in a month's time (also, Xubuntu 14.04 LTS will be the same day)
Edited by chemicalfan - 3/27/14 at 2:28am
Little Beast
(12 items)
 
Black 'n' blue II
(15 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-4710MQ Nvidia Geforce GTX860M 2GB 16GB Kingston DDR3 1600MHz 240Gb Silicon Power S55/S60 SSD 
Hard DriveOSOSMonitor
1Tb Toshiba HDD 5400rpm Windows 8.1 Linux Mint 18 17.3" LED 1920x1080 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
PCSpecialist Optimus V ST17-860 Logitech MX518 Steelseries QcK Creative HS800 Fatal1ty 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 860 @ 1.25V MSI P55-GD65 Xpertvision Radeon HD4850 4GB G.Skill Ripjaw 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
150Gb Velociraptor & 1Tb WD Caviar Black Opticon Lightscribe DVD-RW DL Noctua NH-U12P SE2 Vista Home Premium x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Hyundai BlueH H224W 22" LCD Saitek Eclipse II Thermaltake Purepower RX 550 Galaxy III 
Mouse
Patuoxun optical gaming mouse 3200dpi 
  hide details  
Reply
Little Beast
(12 items)
 
Black 'n' blue II
(15 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-4710MQ Nvidia Geforce GTX860M 2GB 16GB Kingston DDR3 1600MHz 240Gb Silicon Power S55/S60 SSD 
Hard DriveOSOSMonitor
1Tb Toshiba HDD 5400rpm Windows 8.1 Linux Mint 18 17.3" LED 1920x1080 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
PCSpecialist Optimus V ST17-860 Logitech MX518 Steelseries QcK Creative HS800 Fatal1ty 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 860 @ 1.25V MSI P55-GD65 Xpertvision Radeon HD4850 4GB G.Skill Ripjaw 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
150Gb Velociraptor & 1Tb WD Caviar Black Opticon Lightscribe DVD-RW DL Noctua NH-U12P SE2 Vista Home Premium x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Hyundai BlueH H224W 22" LCD Saitek Eclipse II Thermaltake Purepower RX 550 Galaxy III 
Mouse
Patuoxun optical gaming mouse 3200dpi 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemicalfan View Post

Can I just point out than Debian != Ubuntu. Ubuntu is based on Debian - they take a cut from Debian Testing at the very start of their release cycle, then patch the hell out of it to get it working the way they want it to. It means, that a package compiled for Debian, won't necessarily work for Ubuntu. There's a decent chance it will, it'll all depend of whether there are patches in it or a dependency that aren't compatible under Ubuntu.

OP - at this point, your OS is pretty busted. A re-install is the easiest way, and if you're thinking of moving to Debian, now is a great time to do it. I don't know too much about these Debian-based distros like SoldyK or Crunchbang, but I don't see the problem with going pure Debian. That said, I don't see the appeal of Debian over Linux Mint either, but each to their own. I wouldn't recommend LMDE, but regular Linux Mint has everything that Debian & Ubuntu has, as far as I am concerned. Steam works perfectly on Mint, and it's a nice OS as well!

Edit: If you're fed up with bloat, try Peppermint. It's real nice and light, and stripped back so you add in the packages you actually want. Like all these Ubuntu-based distros, you're best off waiting a couple of months, and then installing the next LTS version (Mint 17, or Peppermint 5). Of course, your rig is broken now, but keep it in mind that Ubuntu 14.04 LTS is due in a month's time (also, Xubuntu 14.04 LTS will be the same day)

eh lol i agree as long as we remember that each os has their appeal. eh my rig isn't broken or bothered i really do this for a experimental hobby but i am going to install to wheezy only thing that suxx about that is the fact that steamos butchers weezy so i was using ubuntu for the very reason that all things wont work meaning steamos wouldn't take over the os as i need steamos slaved so the os can be on call but the host distro is going to be master os. I have used wheezy, ubuntu, and i started linuxmint for the steamos but then something happened with that cursed noveau driver that seems to hate when you have 2 gpu's with 2 monitors in one gpu and none in the other. I really think nouveau hates nvidia.

 

Thank everybody who gave help in this thread as you all each teach a valuable chunk that when put together really gave me a another way of looking at things as well as insight into other methods. If people would like we can continue talking i just marked solved so that people dont come in thinking there is still a fire.


Edited by djthrottleboi - 3/27/14 at 3:30am
throttlemeister
(30 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
i7-4790k gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming G1 WIFI-BK corsair vengeance 2x8 1866Mhz seagate barracuda 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
seagate barracuda  seagate barracuda seagate barracuda seagate barracuda 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Crucial M500 SSD random dvd multirecorder / cd drive fast sata 6... ex240 rad xspc ax240 kit 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
3 140mm fans plus 6 120mm fans Arctic Cooling MX4 4g Thermal Paste XSPC EX360 crossflow windows 8.1 pro 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
ZorinOS Mac Os X Yosemite Monoprice MPCP28UHD logitech g510s 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
evga supernova 1300 g2 Corsair 900D logitech g500s none  
AudioAudioAudioOther
Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker w/ su... diamond xtreme sound XS71U Logitech H390 Headset xbox 360 wireless 
OtherOther
logitech c110 webcam logitech driving force gt 
  hide details  
Reply
throttlemeister
(30 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
i7-4790k gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming G1 WIFI-BK corsair vengeance 2x8 1866Mhz seagate barracuda 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
seagate barracuda  seagate barracuda seagate barracuda seagate barracuda 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Crucial M500 SSD random dvd multirecorder / cd drive fast sata 6... ex240 rad xspc ax240 kit 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
3 140mm fans plus 6 120mm fans Arctic Cooling MX4 4g Thermal Paste XSPC EX360 crossflow windows 8.1 pro 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
ZorinOS Mac Os X Yosemite Monoprice MPCP28UHD logitech g510s 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
evga supernova 1300 g2 Corsair 900D logitech g500s none  
AudioAudioAudioOther
Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker w/ su... diamond xtreme sound XS71U Logitech H390 Headset xbox 360 wireless 
OtherOther
logitech c110 webcam logitech driving force gt 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 59
That was a little hard to follow but...

The nouveau drivers are pretty basic to be honest, a nice idea but it's gotta be the fully fledged nvidia drivers for me. Those that value open-source may hate them, but I value performance more....so shoot me.

I'm still confused about this SteamOS thing? If you don't want to run SteamOS, then don't? Just run the regular Steam app in Big Picture mode. Or are you talking about running SteamOS in a VM? Because, even if it works, you'll take a big performance hit vs. just running the Steam app. The Steam app will behave the same whether it's running on Debian, Ubuntu, or Mint.
Little Beast
(12 items)
 
Black 'n' blue II
(15 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-4710MQ Nvidia Geforce GTX860M 2GB 16GB Kingston DDR3 1600MHz 240Gb Silicon Power S55/S60 SSD 
Hard DriveOSOSMonitor
1Tb Toshiba HDD 5400rpm Windows 8.1 Linux Mint 18 17.3" LED 1920x1080 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
PCSpecialist Optimus V ST17-860 Logitech MX518 Steelseries QcK Creative HS800 Fatal1ty 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 860 @ 1.25V MSI P55-GD65 Xpertvision Radeon HD4850 4GB G.Skill Ripjaw 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
150Gb Velociraptor & 1Tb WD Caviar Black Opticon Lightscribe DVD-RW DL Noctua NH-U12P SE2 Vista Home Premium x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Hyundai BlueH H224W 22" LCD Saitek Eclipse II Thermaltake Purepower RX 550 Galaxy III 
Mouse
Patuoxun optical gaming mouse 3200dpi 
  hide details  
Reply
Little Beast
(12 items)
 
Black 'n' blue II
(15 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-4710MQ Nvidia Geforce GTX860M 2GB 16GB Kingston DDR3 1600MHz 240Gb Silicon Power S55/S60 SSD 
Hard DriveOSOSMonitor
1Tb Toshiba HDD 5400rpm Windows 8.1 Linux Mint 18 17.3" LED 1920x1080 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
PCSpecialist Optimus V ST17-860 Logitech MX518 Steelseries QcK Creative HS800 Fatal1ty 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 860 @ 1.25V MSI P55-GD65 Xpertvision Radeon HD4850 4GB G.Skill Ripjaw 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
150Gb Velociraptor & 1Tb WD Caviar Black Opticon Lightscribe DVD-RW DL Noctua NH-U12P SE2 Vista Home Premium x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Hyundai BlueH H224W 22" LCD Saitek Eclipse II Thermaltake Purepower RX 550 Galaxy III 
Mouse
Patuoxun optical gaming mouse 3200dpi 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by djthrottleboi View Post

I am very familiar with mint as that was my favorite distro, however if the steamos session works well on this distro as well as all things you mentioned i am going to love this even more. If not i will dualboot between wheezy and solydxk i'm just not sure if i ant to go kde(great customizing and tweaking capabilities) or xfce(excellent performance). Any recommendations as i haven't used this distro yet?

I don't know what is in the water (or the universities) in the Netherlands but they surely have some sharp coders who understand the value of "clean and simple". The man who created SolydXK, a Dutchman, apparently produced the original just as a lark. It caught on rapidly, especially considering the vast number of choices out there, and within an exceptionally short time he produced a Business Edition - very serious dude.

Normally, for deeper work, I jump to console, but I despise the Windows Registry and since Wine is forced to have one, it was a great relief to see how PlayOnLinux handles that and more. I just got Deus Ex: Human Revolution, a DX-11 game, and had multiple problems. The worst was insta-crash as soon as I depressed a key. I fixed that in under an hour with PlayOnLinux. PoL was new to me and I liked it right away. Now it's on my Slackware main. That it is a default install in SolydXK is a small thing, but a very nice touch.

With a performance box like yours I see no reason to be forced to choose. SolydK has a very acceptable footprint to me. After initial login, when the indexing is finished and it's basically idling, I'm at 2% CPU with ~350MB RAM in use with the default wallpaper, but animation tweaked to "Very Fast". If you choose SolydX, it shouldn't be difficult to add KDE. If you choose SolydK it should be trivial to add Xfce.

I find SolydXK to be so simple and transparent that I'd recommend it to any of the apparent hordes of gamers who'd like to dump Windows and go to Linux. It's so simple and solid, I'd recommend it to anyone.
NewMain
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 - 3550 Asrock Z77 Extreme4 Gigabyte GTX 760  4x2GB Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate SATA 2TB x 2  Plextor PX-891SAW CM-Hyper N520 Slackware 14, Studio KUbuntu, OpenSuSe 12.3, Wi... 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
32" Vizio HDTV + DLP Logitech Wireless Corsair HX-850 Antec Sonata I 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Razer DeathAdder 2013 dual ESI Juli@ CoolGear ExtSata Enclosure w/ Optical and 3TB S... 
  hide details  
Reply
NewMain
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 - 3550 Asrock Z77 Extreme4 Gigabyte GTX 760  4x2GB Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate SATA 2TB x 2  Plextor PX-891SAW CM-Hyper N520 Slackware 14, Studio KUbuntu, OpenSuSe 12.3, Wi... 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
32" Vizio HDTV + DLP Logitech Wireless Corsair HX-850 Antec Sonata I 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Razer DeathAdder 2013 dual ESI Juli@ CoolGear ExtSata Enclosure w/ Optical and 3TB S... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemicalfan View Post

That was a little hard to follow but...

The nouveau drivers are pretty basic to be honest, a nice idea but it's gotta be the fully fledged nvidia drivers for me. Those that value open-source may hate them, but I value performance more....so shoot me.

I'm still confused about this SteamOS thing? If you don't want to run SteamOS, then don't? Just run the regular Steam app in Big Picture mode. Or are you talking about running SteamOS in a VM? Because, even if it works, you'll take a big performance hit vs. just running the Steam app. The Steam app will behave the same whether it's running on Debian, Ubuntu, or Mint.

I hate nouveau as with my gpu's it crashes linux or will keep me from booting at times so the first thing i have to do after any install is install proprietary drivers from synaptic or whatever other source i use for packages. I am still going to install steamos on top of the os as soon as i learn enough about the distro. I know its a waste of time but its one of my projects that keeps me busy and is a hobby of mine. i dont use vm or the app much in linux but i will use the app until i figure out what i can stick in this os from steamos'es repo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet2 View Post


I don't know what is in the water (or the universities) in the Netherlands but they surely have some sharp coders who understand the value of "clean and simple". The man who created SolydXK, a Dutchman, apparently produced the original just as a lark. It caught on rapidly, especially considering the vast number of choices out there, and within an exceptionally short time he produced a Business Edition - very serious dude.

Normally, for deeper work, I jump to console, but I despise the Windows Registry and since Wine is forced to have one, it was a great relief to see how PlayOnLinux handles that and more. I just got Deus Ex: Human Revolution, a DX-11 game, and had multiple problems. The worst was insta-crash as soon as I depressed a key. I fixed that in under an hour with PlayOnLinux. PoL was new to me and I liked it right away. Now it's on my Slackware main. That it is a default install in SolydXK is a small thing, but a very nice touch.

With a performance box like yours I see no reason to be forced to choose. SolydK has a very acceptable footprint to me. After initial login, when the indexing is finished and it's basically idling, I'm at 2% CPU with ~350MB RAM in use with the default wallpaper, but animation tweaked to "Very Fast". If you choose SolydX, it shouldn't be difficult to add KDE. If you choose SolydK it should be trivial to add Xfce.

I find SolydXK to be so simple and transparent that I'd recommend it to any of the apparent hordes of gamers who'd like to dump Windows and go to Linux. It's so simple and solid, I'd recommend it to anyone.


i will say this is one of the best distro's i have touched as my experience is limited to a year but not only that i picked it up right away without help and this one feels right. I know what to do and i know how to do it. I am going to love modding this distro.like i thought i was a beginner but i feel like i'm not the best but somewhat experienced with this distro as it responds well it accepts changes quickly without complaints and it is overall not that big puddle of bloat making it easy to see where your goal is and how to get there.

throttlemeister
(30 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
i7-4790k gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming G1 WIFI-BK corsair vengeance 2x8 1866Mhz seagate barracuda 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
seagate barracuda  seagate barracuda seagate barracuda seagate barracuda 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Crucial M500 SSD random dvd multirecorder / cd drive fast sata 6... ex240 rad xspc ax240 kit 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
3 140mm fans plus 6 120mm fans Arctic Cooling MX4 4g Thermal Paste XSPC EX360 crossflow windows 8.1 pro 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
ZorinOS Mac Os X Yosemite Monoprice MPCP28UHD logitech g510s 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
evga supernova 1300 g2 Corsair 900D logitech g500s none  
AudioAudioAudioOther
Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker w/ su... diamond xtreme sound XS71U Logitech H390 Headset xbox 360 wireless 
OtherOther
logitech c110 webcam logitech driving force gt 
  hide details  
Reply
throttlemeister
(30 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
i7-4790k gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming G1 WIFI-BK corsair vengeance 2x8 1866Mhz seagate barracuda 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
seagate barracuda  seagate barracuda seagate barracuda seagate barracuda 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Crucial M500 SSD random dvd multirecorder / cd drive fast sata 6... ex240 rad xspc ax240 kit 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
3 140mm fans plus 6 120mm fans Arctic Cooling MX4 4g Thermal Paste XSPC EX360 crossflow windows 8.1 pro 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
ZorinOS Mac Os X Yosemite Monoprice MPCP28UHD logitech g510s 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
evga supernova 1300 g2 Corsair 900D logitech g500s none  
AudioAudioAudioOther
Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker w/ su... diamond xtreme sound XS71U Logitech H390 Headset xbox 360 wireless 
OtherOther
logitech c110 webcam logitech driving force gt 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 59
You can't install an OS in another OS. You can't install SteamOS in Debian, any more than you can install Debian in Ubuntu.

You might be able to install specific packages from SteamOS in Debian (as SteamOS is based on Debian, it's your best shot), but it's all about whether they have exactly the same dependencies in SteamOS in Debian (they haven't been patched in SteamOS). If they have, the package will fail. Trying to install those dependencies on Debian from SteamOS, will probably hose your install
Little Beast
(12 items)
 
Black 'n' blue II
(15 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-4710MQ Nvidia Geforce GTX860M 2GB 16GB Kingston DDR3 1600MHz 240Gb Silicon Power S55/S60 SSD 
Hard DriveOSOSMonitor
1Tb Toshiba HDD 5400rpm Windows 8.1 Linux Mint 18 17.3" LED 1920x1080 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
PCSpecialist Optimus V ST17-860 Logitech MX518 Steelseries QcK Creative HS800 Fatal1ty 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 860 @ 1.25V MSI P55-GD65 Xpertvision Radeon HD4850 4GB G.Skill Ripjaw 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
150Gb Velociraptor & 1Tb WD Caviar Black Opticon Lightscribe DVD-RW DL Noctua NH-U12P SE2 Vista Home Premium x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Hyundai BlueH H224W 22" LCD Saitek Eclipse II Thermaltake Purepower RX 550 Galaxy III 
Mouse
Patuoxun optical gaming mouse 3200dpi 
  hide details  
Reply
Little Beast
(12 items)
 
Black 'n' blue II
(15 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-4710MQ Nvidia Geforce GTX860M 2GB 16GB Kingston DDR3 1600MHz 240Gb Silicon Power S55/S60 SSD 
Hard DriveOSOSMonitor
1Tb Toshiba HDD 5400rpm Windows 8.1 Linux Mint 18 17.3" LED 1920x1080 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
PCSpecialist Optimus V ST17-860 Logitech MX518 Steelseries QcK Creative HS800 Fatal1ty 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 860 @ 1.25V MSI P55-GD65 Xpertvision Radeon HD4850 4GB G.Skill Ripjaw 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
150Gb Velociraptor & 1Tb WD Caviar Black Opticon Lightscribe DVD-RW DL Noctua NH-U12P SE2 Vista Home Premium x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Hyundai BlueH H224W 22" LCD Saitek Eclipse II Thermaltake Purepower RX 550 Galaxy III 
Mouse
Patuoxun optical gaming mouse 3200dpi 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 59
Can you post the output of you apt repo list?
Code:
cat /etc/apt/source.list

If you've added any repos to you installation, they could be causing some issues.
Router
(12 items)
 
  
Reply
Router
(12 items)
 
  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Linux, Unix
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Linux, Unix › Need help with ubuntu update for ubuntu 12.04 lts[Solved]