Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Building a new gaming rig
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Building a new gaming rig - Page 4

post #31 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHDadditiv View Post

Ok here are some simple answers.

I personally prefer multiple monitors over 1. But in your case, what I would do is get a single 1440p monitor to start, then get yourself a cheap 1080p monitor on the side later on. Or, if you went with the build I proposed earlier, get a 1080p monitor right now. Then, since you would have a 780ti, you could get your 1440p later on and see the huge difference in graphics. No refresh rate isnt more important then resolution, though if you can get both thats great. Some people will disagree with me on this, but you can't run every game over 60 FPS on max settings, making those extra 60+hz you paid for useless (in regards to a 120hz monitor). (BTW, 1HZ = 1FPS. 60hz monitor can display up to 60FPS)
t.

Can you push two monitors off the 780ti without framerate loss? It seems like a pretty substantial GPU.
post #32 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewshus75 View Post

Can you push two monitors off the 780ti without framerate loss? It seems like a pretty substantial GPU.
You cant play a game on 2 monitors so yes. Games can be played on 3, 6, 9 and 18 monitors, but not anywhere in between. If that makes sense. Basically you would only be gaming on 1 monitor, the other would be for like email or something. Maybe a music player.
Black Jarvis V1.9
(21 items)
 
Mazdaspeed6
(18 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Jarvis V1.9
(21 items)
 
Mazdaspeed6
(18 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33 of 43

What? Only in multiples of 3? How stupid. lol

It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #34 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHDadditiv View Post

You cant play a game on 2 monitors so yes. Games can be played on 3, 6, 9 and 18 monitors, but not anywhere in between. If that makes sense. Basically you would only be gaming on 1 monitor, the other would be for like email or something. Maybe a music player.

ok so if i got 3 monitors would i need a second gpu?
post #35 of 43
All GTX Kepler/Maxwell products can technically run up to 4 monitors. (for gaming purposes that would be 3 monitors configured as one logical display, and an extended desktop display (a second logical display).

More monitors means more resolution. More resolution means more to render, and more to post-process if using AA.

As a very rough guideline.

Middle-tier GPUs like the R9 270X and GTX760 will run most games at "HD" 1080P/1200P at high or ultra settings.

Higher-tier GPUs like the R9 290 and GTX780, can run most games at QD "1440/1600P" at high or ultra settings.

2x high-tier GPUs in SLI/CFX, can run most games at 3xHD (5760 x 1080/1200) or 4K, at high or ultra settings.

Technically speaking, you can run any of these resolutions off of something as simple as a single GTX760, but at the higher resolutions, AA would have to be turned off and settings would have to be reduced to accommodate the weaker GPU performance. The more GPU you throw at the problem, the more resolution it will handle with higher settings.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 990X EVO R2.0 Sparkle GTX460 768MB ballistix tactical 2 x 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Toshiiba THNSNH 256GB Enterprise RE3 1TB Asus BD combo drive Artic A30 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Manjaro Linux Samsung 21.5" LCD E2009WFP E2009WFP 
PowerCase
Seasonic G 550W Modular Fractal Design Core 3500 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-6300, 4.7 GHZ@1.43V GA-970A-UD3P GTX 460 768MB Mixed DIMMs. 2x4GB + 2x8GB @ 1600-8-8-8 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Toshiba THNSNH 19nm 256GB 1TB Spinpoint F3 WD RE3 1TB WD RE3 1TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSOS
yes CM Seidon 120V SolydK OpenSuse 13.1 
OSOSMonitorMonitor
Linux Mint 9-32 bit // Linux Mint 17-64 bit  Manjaro Xfce Samsung 21.5" HannsG 21.5" sideways! 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Sticky ATNG Rosewill Green 630W NZXT Gamma Basic Microsoft corded 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A10-6800k 4.8GHZ @ 1.375V, 1.2GHZ iGPU Gigabyte GA-F2A85XN-WIFI HD8670D Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate ST1000DM003 Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Zalman CNPS5X Linux Mint 15 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG IPS224V-PN Logitec K360 FSP 400W Aurum S 80+ gold Prodigy 
Mouse
logitec M235 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 990X EVO R2.0 Sparkle GTX460 768MB ballistix tactical 2 x 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Toshiiba THNSNH 256GB Enterprise RE3 1TB Asus BD combo drive Artic A30 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Manjaro Linux Samsung 21.5" LCD E2009WFP E2009WFP 
PowerCase
Seasonic G 550W Modular Fractal Design Core 3500 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-6300, 4.7 GHZ@1.43V GA-970A-UD3P GTX 460 768MB Mixed DIMMs. 2x4GB + 2x8GB @ 1600-8-8-8 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Toshiba THNSNH 19nm 256GB 1TB Spinpoint F3 WD RE3 1TB WD RE3 1TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSOS
yes CM Seidon 120V SolydK OpenSuse 13.1 
OSOSMonitorMonitor
Linux Mint 9-32 bit // Linux Mint 17-64 bit  Manjaro Xfce Samsung 21.5" HannsG 21.5" sideways! 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Sticky ATNG Rosewill Green 630W NZXT Gamma Basic Microsoft corded 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A10-6800k 4.8GHZ @ 1.375V, 1.2GHZ iGPU Gigabyte GA-F2A85XN-WIFI HD8670D Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate ST1000DM003 Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Zalman CNPS5X Linux Mint 15 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG IPS224V-PN Logitec K360 FSP 400W Aurum S 80+ gold Prodigy 
Mouse
logitec M235 
  hide details  
Reply
post #36 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdocod View Post

All GTX Kepler/Maxwell products can technically run up to 4 monitors. (for gaming purposes that would be 3 monitors configured as one logical display, and an extended desktop display (a second logical display).

More monitors means more resolution. More resolution means more to render, and more to post-process if using AA.

As a very rough guideline.

Middle-tier GPUs like the R9 270X and GTX760 will run most games at "HD" 1080P/1200P at high or ultra settings.

Higher-tier GPUs like the R9 290 and GTX780, can run most games at QD "1440/1600P" at high or ultra settings.

2x high-tier GPUs in SLI/CFX, can run most games at 3xHD (5760 x 1080/1200) or 4K, at high or ultra settings.

Technically speaking, you can run any of these resolutions off of something as simple as a single GTX760, but at the higher resolutions, AA would have to be turned off and settings would have to be reduced to accommodate the weaker GPU performance. The more GPU you throw at the problem, the more resolution it will handle with higher settings.
Basically this^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewshus75 View Post

ok so if i got 3 monitors would i need a second gpu?
Yes. Well you wouldn't need to, you could run just about everything on medium settings (if the game supports running 5760x1080/1200). But I would recommend it. thumb.gif
Black Jarvis V1.9
(21 items)
 
Mazdaspeed6
(18 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Jarvis V1.9
(21 items)
 
Mazdaspeed6
(18 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #37 of 43
A single r9 290 gives 40fps at 5670x1080,but if you go this way and you use graphics settings to the maximum(even filters) you need a bit more than 3gb
post #38 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

A single r9 290 gives 40fps at 5670x1080,but if you go this way and you use graphics settings to the maximum(even filters) you need a bit more than 3gb
No you dont... I have 2 2GB GTX 770's and I can play whatever I want on max (except skyrim with a butt ton of mods). That 2GB not being enough myth is false.
Black Jarvis V1.9
(21 items)
 
Mazdaspeed6
(18 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Jarvis V1.9
(21 items)
 
Mazdaspeed6
(18 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #39 of 43
post #40 of 43
Thread Starter 
Im bringing this back up to the top because my budget has increased to around 5k. And Id like that to include monitors. I was thinking i would like to go with a 3 monitor setup.

All suggestions are welcome. Thank you.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Building a new gaming rig