Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Overclocking a CPU with a missing Pin
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Overclocking a CPU with a missing Pin

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
hi all biggrin.gif

I have an old lapped amd 1055t that is missing a pin. I have three questions.

1) can I use an unlapped hsf without experiencing adverse effects?
2) the cpu has had a tough life and ended up with many bent pins and one broken pin. I ended up fixing the bent pin and the cpu boots up fine to windows. Should I overclock it? Would like to hit 3.4-3.8ghz if possible.
3) I have a motherboard with a 4+1 power phase. Would it be able to handle a decent overclock on this phenom x6 (it's a msi 970a-g46)

I appreciate all help thumb.gif
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldboy View Post

hi all biggrin.gif

I have an old lapped amd 1055t that is missing a pin. I have three questions.

1) can I use an unlapped hsf without experiencing adverse effects?
2) the cpu has had a tough life and ended up with many bent pins and one broken pin. I ended up fixing the bent pin and the cpu boots up fine to windows. Should I overclock it? Would like to hit 3.4-3.8ghz if possible.
3) I have a motherboard with a 4+1 power phase. Would it be able to handle a decent overclock on this phenom x6 (it's a msi 970a-g46)

I appreciate all help thumb.gif
1. If the base is smooth enough and you apply TIM properly, that's not really an issue. I only lap my HSF if it's very rough on the base.

2. If it works fine, then there's no reason not to try overclocking it.

3. But for the love of God, NOT on a 970A-G46. Overclocking a Thuban on that board is asking for a fireworks display! It's rated for CPU's with a 125W TDP, but has well-documented problems even with that. Once you overclock a 1055T at all, you're going past 125W and into serious danger zone on that board. Don't do it.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon X4 870K 4700mhz 1.63v ASUS A88X-PRO Radeon HD 6970 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston V300 Toshiba 2.5" laptop HDD, 1TB Micron C300 SSD Generic 2TB HDD WL2000GSA1672 (external) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Momentus XT 500GB ASUS DVD-RW Prolimatech Black Series Megahalems Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon "Sarah" 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 ViewSonic VG2030wm IBM Model M Fractal Design Newton R3 600W 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Phanteks Enthoo Pro Logitech Marble Mouse Behringer UCA222 Upgraded Realistic Minimus-7 speakers, Lepai 20... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile T9900 Dell 0G848F Intel Mobile 4 series 4GB Crucial DDR2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OWC Mercury Electra 3G 44GB SSD stock DVD-RW Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.1 "Rebecca" 1366x768 WXGA 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon X4 870K 4700mhz 1.63v ASUS A88X-PRO Radeon HD 6970 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston V300 Toshiba 2.5" laptop HDD, 1TB Micron C300 SSD Generic 2TB HDD WL2000GSA1672 (external) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Momentus XT 500GB ASUS DVD-RW Prolimatech Black Series Megahalems Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon "Sarah" 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 ViewSonic VG2030wm IBM Model M Fractal Design Newton R3 600W 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Phanteks Enthoo Pro Logitech Marble Mouse Behringer UCA222 Upgraded Realistic Minimus-7 speakers, Lepai 20... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile T9900 Dell 0G848F Intel Mobile 4 series 4GB Crucial DDR2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OWC Mercury Electra 3G 44GB SSD stock DVD-RW Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.1 "Rebecca" 1366x768 WXGA 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1973 View Post

3. But for the love of God, NOT on a 970A-G46. Overclocking a Thuban on that board is asking for a fireworks display! It's rated for CPU's with a 125W TDP, but has well-documented problems even with that. Once you overclock a 1055T at all, you're going past 125W and into serious danger zone on that board. Don't do it.

I agree, it would be asking to see some sparks and smoke!
post #4 of 7
Quote:
missing a pin
Since you can boot to windows, its likely it was one of many voltage pins. Which means less current capacity, so your overclock will be less than what it could have been.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-6300 @ 4.9ghz M5A99X EVO R2.0 PNY 2gb NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 PNY DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 2X4gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Intel 330 SSD Samsung HD103SI Samsung HD204UI X 2 esata externals  Western Digital WD5000AAKX  
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Optiarc DVD RW AD-7280S Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus Windows 8.1.1 pro with media center Funai 32inch LED HDTV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 Corsair CX600 Custom twin full tower, 12 - 5 1/4 bays total Logitech M510 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Combo Mouse Pad, Calculator, USB ports USB stereo speakers Custom 5.1 digital sound system 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-6300 @ 4.9ghz M5A99X EVO R2.0 PNY 2gb NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 PNY DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 2X4gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Intel 330 SSD Samsung HD103SI Samsung HD204UI X 2 esata externals  Western Digital WD5000AAKX  
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Optiarc DVD RW AD-7280S Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus Windows 8.1.1 pro with media center Funai 32inch LED HDTV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 Corsair CX600 Custom twin full tower, 12 - 5 1/4 bays total Logitech M510 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Combo Mouse Pad, Calculator, USB ports USB stereo speakers Custom 5.1 digital sound system 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1973 View Post

1. If the base is smooth enough and you apply TIM properly, that's not really an issue. I only lap my HSF if it's very rough on the base.

2. If it works fine, then there's no reason not to try overclocking it.

3. But for the love of God, NOT on a 970A-G46. Overclocking a Thuban on that board is asking for a fireworks display! It's rated for CPU's with a 125W TDP, but has well-documented problems even with that. Once you overclock a 1055T at all, you're going past 125W and into serious danger zone on that board. Don't do it.

+1

Totally agree with the no overclocking on 970A-G46. I had this board and it was absolutely useless trying to OC my 6300, couldn't even break 4Ghz without the VRM's over heating and throttling. It is a nice feature packed board for a great price but the VRM's/VRM cooling is just plain abysmal.
Night Train
(11 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X2 250 asrock n68 vs3 fx Gigabyte 8400 GS Passive 4GB Generic Microcenter RAM 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250 Cuda 3.5 Pioneer BD/DVD/RW XBMCUbuntu 12.04 55" LED T.V. 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
MS Wireless Athena Power 400w Some HTPC case I cant find the name of  MS Wireless 
Audio
Integrated 
  hide details  
Reply
Night Train
(11 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X2 250 asrock n68 vs3 fx Gigabyte 8400 GS Passive 4GB Generic Microcenter RAM 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250 Cuda 3.5 Pioneer BD/DVD/RW XBMCUbuntu 12.04 55" LED T.V. 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
MS Wireless Athena Power 400w Some HTPC case I cant find the name of  MS Wireless 
Audio
Integrated 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 7
Thread Starter 
thanks for the help biggrin.gif! What if I were to keep the amd 1055t at stock? Could the 4+1 power handle it without losing stability?
post #7 of 7
If you keep the 1055T at stock, you'll probably be OK. Just watch for any throttling.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon X4 870K 4700mhz 1.63v ASUS A88X-PRO Radeon HD 6970 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston V300 Toshiba 2.5" laptop HDD, 1TB Micron C300 SSD Generic 2TB HDD WL2000GSA1672 (external) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Momentus XT 500GB ASUS DVD-RW Prolimatech Black Series Megahalems Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon "Sarah" 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 ViewSonic VG2030wm IBM Model M Fractal Design Newton R3 600W 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Phanteks Enthoo Pro Logitech Marble Mouse Behringer UCA222 Upgraded Realistic Minimus-7 speakers, Lepai 20... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile T9900 Dell 0G848F Intel Mobile 4 series 4GB Crucial DDR2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OWC Mercury Electra 3G 44GB SSD stock DVD-RW Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.1 "Rebecca" 1366x768 WXGA 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon X4 870K 4700mhz 1.63v ASUS A88X-PRO Radeon HD 6970 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston V300 Toshiba 2.5" laptop HDD, 1TB Micron C300 SSD Generic 2TB HDD WL2000GSA1672 (external) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Momentus XT 500GB ASUS DVD-RW Prolimatech Black Series Megahalems Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon "Sarah" 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 ViewSonic VG2030wm IBM Model M Fractal Design Newton R3 600W 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Phanteks Enthoo Pro Logitech Marble Mouse Behringer UCA222 Upgraded Realistic Minimus-7 speakers, Lepai 20... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile T9900 Dell 0G848F Intel Mobile 4 series 4GB Crucial DDR2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OWC Mercury Electra 3G 44GB SSD stock DVD-RW Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.1 "Rebecca" 1366x768 WXGA 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Overclocking a CPU with a missing Pin